The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

How do Alesis HD24 folk monitor their recorder?? Mixers (Analog)
Old 20th November 2008
Lives for gear

brail!
watch the pretty lights .

dont need to monitor it.

I recorded a community event with a Adat that i bought the night before
my fire studio went out a week before the event.

I think it sounds Ok ?

still havent mixed it...
Old 20th November 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
dont need to monitor it.
When you have your signal path going 5-10 places before the HD24 and multiply that by 24 you'll want monitoring to make sure you have all you need, in the right places, and not sounding buzzy or otherwise.
Old 20th November 2008
Gear Addict

Ditto that... 5 mins before my last concert I noticed a buzz in my mics and double checked my Phantom power, mic connections, etc with no change. Then I looked in back of the Royers and the spots were turned on like one quarter of the way on (really of no use to anyone). So I licketty-split went back and slammed the spot faders off and VIOLA! my string quartet came off without a hitch.
Without monitoring it would have been very annoying all thru the recording.
GET A LINE MIXER!!!
Old 20th November 2008
Lives for gear

I had that problem , I was using a new mic I built

found out one mic had grounding issues

but considering I was using 8 mics to record 2 pianos
I was safe
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Ditto that... 5 mins before my last concert I noticed a buzz in my mics and double checked my Phantom power, mic connections, etc with no change. Then I looked in back of the Royers and the spots were turned on like one quarter of the way on (really of no use to anyone). So I licketty-split went back and slammed the spot faders off and VIOLA! my string quartet came off without a hitch.
Without monitoring it would have been very annoying all thru the recording.
GET A LINE MIXER!!!
OR...when a channel on my splitter decides to turn into a high pass filter at 2K. The pretty lights were still pretty but the sound was rubbish...Finding it allowed me to swap channels. Line mixers can be cheap...it is worth confidence monitoring your tape returns...
Mick
Old 21st November 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
when a channel on my splitter decides to turn into a high pass filter at 2K
What the heck would cause that? Transformer going or something?
Old 23rd November 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleantone View Post
What the heck would cause that? Transformer going or something?
Don't know yet. My "repair" job involved a piece of black gaffatape across the XLR input, so now I have a 23 channel rig. When the workload eases a bit I will get a chance to check it out.

Mick
Old 24th November 2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Don't know yet. My "repair" job involved a piece of black gaffatape across the XLR input, so now I have a 23 channel rig. When the workload eases a bit I will get a chance to check it out.

Mick
Hey, if your gaffer tape "repair" job keeps your workload strong, stay with the 23 channel rig. heh
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

What do y'all think:

I've been working on this and I am wondering if the M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge | Sweetwater.com would work for this. It's got headphone out, but what I can't get is how I would be panning. Does this require a laptop to manually pan inside the software or what?
Old 7th December 2008
Gear Addict

Corran,
The Lightbridge is a simple interface; it doesn't have any sort of mixer built in. You'd have to connect a computer and use a DAW of some sort to route and control audio. That could be the basis for a backup/secondary recorder, or just a lot of work to get monitoring on the HD24!

Allen
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

That's what I figured. Well eventually I'd like to do the whole Lightpipe->laptop for backup thing, but not right now.

I actually have a Yamaha MG32 mixer with 24 preamps. I just want this to be more portable!
Old 7th December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
What do y'all think:

I've been working on this and I am wondering if the M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge | Sweetwater.com would work for this. It's got headphone out, but what I can't get is how I would be panning. Does this require a laptop to manually pan inside the software or what?

I did this with an HD24XR and made a backup and monitored in Digital Performer. More often than not, I'd use the DP files. Then PT MP 7.3 came out and I was able to do it in Pro Tools and have my files all set up for editing and mixing by the time I left the venue.

Edwin
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

Edwin,

What kind of computer were you using? Would a small, cheaper laptop be able to record up to 24 tracks or do I need something pretty good? I just saw a colleague yesterday with a super-compact ASUS laptop and he said it was only about $300 - I would love to use something this small for recording into Sonar.

Edit: Amazon.com: ASUS Eee PC 4G (7-Inch Display, Intel Mobile Processor, 512 MB RAM, 4 GB Hard Drive, Linux Preloaded) Galaxy Black: Computers & PC Hardware
Old 7th December 2008
Quote:
Edwin,

What kind of computer were you using? Would a small, cheaper laptop be able to record up to 24 tracks or do I need something pretty good? I just saw a colleague yesterday with a super-compact ASUS laptop and he said it was only about $300 - I would love to use something this small for recording into Sonar.

Edit: Amazon.com: ASUS Eee PC 4G (7-Inch Display, Intel Mobile Processor, 512 MB RAM, 4 GB Hard Drive, Linux Preloaded) Galaxy Black: Computers & PC Hardware
I'm a mac guy, so I was using a Mac Book Pro (I have since moved on to an all Metric Halo rig) with the Lightbridge connected by firewire and the audio recorded onto eSATA via a express card. You pretty much have to separate the audio and the data busses. I can't advise about a windows machine, because I've never used one for this purpose.

Edwin
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
I did this with an HD24XR and made a backup and monitored in Digital Performer.
This is what I do with the Presonus Firestudio Lightpipe and DP. The HD24 acts as a safety.
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

We run three remote rigs;

01V96v2 - HD24: 12 [email protected], [email protected]
02R96v2 - ProFire Lightbridge/PT 7.3.1cs1/MacBook: 18 [email protected], [email protected]
DM2000VCM - SDR24/96: 24 [email protected] or 48k

The Lightbridge/PT rig also gets used as a secondary system with the stand-alone hard disc recorders where PT can serve as both the safety recorder and monitor mixer.
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

That thing looks really cool, but with no FW or PCMCIA/Express43 ports (it's USB only), I don't know how you'd get more than 2 channels of audio in.
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah, that was something I just happened across and I guess it's not so much what I was thinking.

I did do a little searching on newegg.com and I can build a decent rackmount computer for under $300 so that might be another option!
Old 7th December 2008
Lives for gear

For only monitoring i like to use an analog line mixer like ADT Toolmix.
analog Summing Boxes ToolMix

And later I can use that during mixing as analog summing soloution - if I like.
Old 7th December 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
Nope. No headphone output. I used a Roland line mixer at first and it worked great. Then, I moved to a Behringer DDX3216, which also worked well and I would mix monitors and sometimes FOH through it as well. Finally, I went to an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge to Digital Performer, Logic Studio or PT MP depending on what I wanted to end up in. That worked very well indeed on a Macbook Pro.

Finally, I just moved to two Metric Halo 2882s with an RME Octamic and sold the HD24. I don't know that my recordings are any better, but I carry less stuff.

The Roland line mixer was probably the easiest and cleanest sounding of all the solutions I tried.
Edwin
And I bought the HD24 off Edwin.. I love them...can't get enough, rock solid.

G'Day Edwin...how are you finding the Metric Halos?

Mick
Old 10th December 2008
Here for the gear

I use an Alesis Studio 32 that I picked up for $100. 16 line in and 16 tape returns that you can send to the 2 mix so you can monitor up to 32 line level signals at once. I know these aren't the nicest, or most reliable, but for a bill it gets the job done.
Old 10th December 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleysound View Post
01V96 with MY16AT card.
This is also what I have used in the past, but since you indicated you wanted a rackmount solution...for that, I use a MOTU 828mkII USB, which does a very nice job for headphone monitoring.

I monitor the ADAT out of the HD24 into the ADAT in of the MOTU 828.
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Simple, cheap, and clean enough for monitoring

This is what I use to monitor up to 16 mono channels from the HD24. The inputs are TRS, so I use Hosa TRS->TRS snakes to connect it directly to the HD24 outputs.

Line Mixer LX-308B Ashly Audio

Street price is $515.

Each of the 8 channels is stereo but there's a mono jack too. That lets it take 1 mono or 2 (L/R) line inputs per channel, and you can use them in any combination.

If you want 16 channels, just get two small 8ch snakes and then you can pan L/R to hear all 16 channels individually. Mute buttons with LEDs make source selection easy.

My problem is I get too anxious - and start making a rough mix on it while tracking. tutt
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dortola View Post
What do you think about the Intelix 8002MCB? You can link three of them to monitor all 24 outputs at once. Any previous experience on these?
Thanks!
It may have high quality build and sound great, but at quite a high price for so few features.

$200: Intelix*8002MCB-FP*8 Channel Mic/Line Mixer with Front panel trim controls and mic/line pads (8002MCBFP, 8002MCB FP) - SaleStores.com 305-652-0442
$999: Intelix 8002MCB FP 8x1+1 Front Panel Controller Mixer | Full Compass

Street price is $999. The cheap one must be a liquidation. If you can get it for $200 and don't mind having only 8 XLR inputs, it could be a good solution.
Old 1st January 2009
Here for the gear

Hey all,
Sorry if I've missed this in skipping thru the responses. But, as I get closer to pulling the trigger on a HD24XR, I'm wondering if the inputs can be monitored in record and playback mode?

Although I have several I/O options available to me, my idea is to use a couple DigimaxLT's in via lightpipe to the HD24, and then send the HD24 outs to a 01v96v2 via lightpipe, but I'd like to be able to monitor the HD24 inputs thru the 01v96 in record or playback mode.

Is that possible?

Thanks,
Smitty
Old 1st January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty0069 View Post
Hey all,
Sorry if I've missed this in skipping thru the responses. But, as I get closer to pulling the trigger on a HD24XR, I'm wondering if the inputs can be monitored in record and playback mode?

Although I have several I/O options available to me, my idea is to use a couple DigimaxLT's in via lightpipe to the HD24, and then send the HD24 outs to a 01v96v2 via lightpipe, but I'd like to be able to monitor the HD24 inputs thru the 01v96 in record or playback mode.

Is that possible?

Thanks,
Smitty
Yes. I don't have it in front of me, but I think the mode is called "All Input"
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Edwin,

I've done 18 on my regular Macbook with no problem. (24-48). The new ones don't have firewire though.
Old 2nd January 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Yes. I don't have it in front of me, but I think the mode is called "All Input"
Thanks!
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedupsteve View Post
I've done 18 on my regular Macbook with no problem. (24-48). The new ones don't have firewire though.
I don't use Macs thumbsup

Thanks though!
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't use Macs thumbsup
Well...no one's perfect I guess.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search