The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

What's more important, Quality or Quantity when it comes to being a Gearslutz? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 5th April 2009
Lives for gear

I bought the best I could afford at the time when I started, and then kept buying better and better gear. However, for the most part I didn't get rid of my older gear unless it was really of no use. In this way I have plenty of mics and such to get anything done, and also have some key pieces of equipment for important things (like the main pair).

If you only had one pair of Schoeps you could probably make some great recordings, but what if you needed more than two mics? I think it's better to have 10 $500 mics than one $5000 pair of hi-end mics. Especially with some of the really nice but affordable gear these days.
Old 6th April 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
If you only had one pair of Schoeps you could probably make some great recordings, but what if you needed more than two mics? I think it's better to have 10 $500 mics than one $5000 pair of hi-end mics. Especially with some of the really nice but affordable gear these days.
Wow. To consider $500 mics low end . . .

Yes, I know that is not considered high-end, but most of us local remoters just really don't start with Neumans and Schoeps. I'll show you low-end.

I started with two pair B______ger C-2s (Yes, two for $50!) and two B_____ger ECM8000s. While the mic collection has progressed substantially since that humble start, I still have them in case I need those extra channels on some 4th tenor I don't really like . . .

I still lurk on eBay looking for deals on better mics and I still bid and buy. My mic collection is getting a bit larger and quite a bit better. Still no Neumans, yet. Most of my "better" mics are the $500 to $800 mics referenced by Corran.

I am definitely a gearslut. I spend probably twice to four times what I earn recording on gear. Yes, I have a day job - actually, I run the company . . . That supports my gear addiction so I can make some pretty decent recordings for folks I like. I don't have to take gigs with jerks. Sorry, getting off topic.

Now that my mic locker is getting "prettier," maybe it's time to look again at some better pres . . .
Old 6th April 2009
Lives for gear

Good point! I started with one decent stereo mic - a Rode NT-4. I still don't own any Neumanns, Schoeps, or DPA either, but I've got 5 Earthworks mics which serve me VERY well (and only cost me $2200!). Ebay scouring has served (cost) me well.
Old 6th April 2009
Lives for gear

Question: "Quality or Quantity?"

Answer: Yes
Old 6th April 2009
Quality of work with whatever gear is available is how I judge an engineer. Some people can do good work with a Behringer mic and an Maudio Audio Buddy with a soundblaster, and some can manage to screw up a recording with Schoeps, DPA, Neumann, Gefell, etc going into a nice Jensen twin servo preamp with DAD converters.

I personally would rather have a pair of DPA's over a dozen MXL's. Though I acknowledge that some people can do better work with a dozen MXL's than another guy with a pair of DPA's.

I think to qualify as a gearslut, you want to have every piece of gear ever made and never sleep so you can experiment with everything constantly. Anyone else wish that?
Old 6th April 2009
Lives for gear

I went through a period of buying and selling that left me with great pres and converters and decent mics, some tube, ribbon and vintage. However the Gearslut in me called out for more and better. This distracted me from my responsibilities in life to an alarming degree, with eBay and Craigslist forming a web of information that clouded my consciousness but also allowed me to make money and upgrade gear regularly. Some would refer to this as "Internet Addiction".

I had a moment of Zen realization when I realized that the problem was in fact the opposite of what I thought. It wasn't my Gearlust causing me anguish and addiction, but my reluctance to openly embrace my personal kind of sluttiness.

I then sold off all of my stuff and bought a Royer sf-24, a pair of rare Innertube modded Gefells, and a DSD recorder.

I think that qualifies me for a Gearslut but I'm not sure. Anyway my internet addiction disappeared (Thanks Stayne!!) and I am working more with better results.....Just my experience, but the Gearlust can tell you something valuable if you REALLY listen....
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

I guess it's quality where you need it, and quantity where you need it as well.
A choice of good main pairs is essential when dealing with different rooms. That's why I have pairs of KM183s, 184s, MK4s, MKH435s. One of them is main pair, others may end up as spots as needed. If I need more spots, I use Oktava 012s (good unobtrusive spot mic sound!!!), or maybe get mics as needed from colleagues.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

I prefer quality in quantity.
Old 9th April 2009
Super Moderator

Now you're talking.

Why have just one piece of equipment when you can have three?
But, wait - perhaps it should be four since I like things in pairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
I prefer quality in quantity.
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear
A true slut will do what it takes to score.

If you need quantity, go get a quantity score. Better be sure you like the quality of that stuff because if you're getting a whole bunch of any one thing, you could end up with a whole bunch of warts. If you need quality, be prepared to lay down a bunch of quantity for a little quality.
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
are you a trashy Gearslut
A distinctive question.
Old 13th August 2011
If you build your own stuff, you can set the quality wherever you like. I like stuff from NASA, the Air Force and outer space, Roswell stuff.

The future is coming, get ready!
Old 13th August 2011
Super Moderator

The future is already here my man; it's already here for some.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search