The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

Jecklin Disk construction? Condenser Microphones
Old 12th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
I borrowed the Neumann Dummy head and chest,found it quite resonant in comparison to DPA 4060s spaced outside a head on HD 25 cans.
It's interesting to use a 4060 pair gaff taped temporarily to a wooden sphere. They can be remounted easily on wooden spheres of different
sizes depending on the particular recording.

Otherwise, the distance at which a sphere based mic is placed from a source is overly determined by the fixed size of the sphere.
Old 1st June 2013
Gear Nut

Very interesting post Nikolay,

I made my own Jecklin Disk to be used with a pair of KSM141 along with a pair of large APE spheres I made to fit the 141s. The disc I made is 35cm, mics spaced 36cm (mics parallel to each other) as I followed Jecklin's most recent specs- Jecklin Disk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I was very pleased with the results and used this setup to record a piano CD/DVD released a couple years back (you can just make out the disk at the tail end of the piano in the opening shot of this video)- Images (9 of 10) St Catherine - Nathan Shirley - YouTube (sound compressed severely on youtube)

However, I believe I've noticed a similar effect as what you describe. When comparing the test recordings for this CD, the disk did seem to cut HF to a slight extent. It was actually helpful in my case as the piano was a bit overly bright, but it also had the effect of slightly muddying the bass. When I added the APE spheres with the JD it improved things all the way around, and I was very happy with the result, but it wasn't quite what I would consider perfect.

After doing some research and talking to people I decided it might have to do with the amount of padding I used on the disk- foam AND lambswool-like material, likely overkill.

Perhaps the exact attributes of the foam covering the disk are critical.

I've also wondered if slimming the disk down might help. I used plywood, but perhaps Plexiglas might be better, along with less padding?

I'd love to hear what you've found now that it's been over a year.
Old 1st June 2013
Lives for gear

I used an old LP for my Jecklin disc. It was an Oral Roberts LP that I got somewhere. A good use for it.
Old 1st June 2013
Gear Nut

I've heard of using LPs, that would certainly be slim... and about what, 30cm diameter?

Have you noticed any subtle HF cut?

BTW, here is Nikolay's post I was responding to- https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7785018-post143.html

Last edited by NathanShirley; 1st June 2013 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: Added link to OP sited
Old 1st June 2013
Lives for gear

Nathan, I used contact cement to attach some cheap foam and then covered the whole thing with fake lambswool. HF cut was beneficial for the app, a not too polished chorale.
Old 1st June 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
I used an old LP for my Jecklin disc. It was an Oral Roberts LP that I got somewhere. A good use for it.
Several stacked LP's is better. A friend got very gratifying results by repurposing a bunch of Barry Manilow LP's :-)
Old 18th November 2013
I have run listening tests on putting a sound-absorbent material between two spaced omnis and what I found is that the lower and mid frequencies are louder because some sound reflects off the material. It doesn't matter what you use, it will reflect a bit and cause a few db rise in volume in the lower registers. This will make the sound punchier but also less smooth, and more grating on the ears. I record classical music and smoothness is a must, esp. since typical commercial classical CDs are way to harsh and bright. A first generation Digital recording can be magically smooth if you do it right, but the minor reflections from adding an absorbing material ruin what would otherwise be a great concept.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search