The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

recording choir....120 people. Condenser Microphones
Old 6th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkautzsch
We have to differentiate between direct/reverb ratio and off-axis rejection.
Super-cardioid does pick up less reverb than all other patterns, ie can be placed farther away from a source to get the same direct/reverb ratio.
Still, it's off-axis rejection is only something like 25 dB at the angle with strongest rejection. A figure-eight, on the other hand, does not pick up ANY sound coming from 90° (or 270°).When placing the monitors exactly in this null of the mics, no direct sound from the monitors will be recorded. It does however pick up more reverb from behind and will give the same direct/reverb ratio as a cardioid.
Wow, this project really bring me back to microphone lessons!!! Thanks alot guys...I found so much possibilities, even using "limited" choice of mics.

Any advice welcome.....
Old 31st August 2006
Gear Maniac

Just been reading this whole thread with interest and thought it's time to post here for the first time (hope this thread isn't too old!). I'm a UK based sound recordist and am involved in all sorts of sound recording from choirs to pop to TV "furry mic" location stuff.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Soundfield microphone for choir recording.

Is the Soundfield mic less well known in the US?

Tom
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

It is certainly known, but most of the classical folks in this country seem to go for Schoeps, Neumann and Sennheiser MKH.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Soundfield for classical work... I think the concept is brilliant, but I don't like the sound. Every recording I've heard made with one tends towards a rather bright sound and the imaging can be questionable. To each their own, though...

--Ben
Old 9th November 2006
Question smaller acapella

Keeping up with this old thread..
I don't have much experience in recording acapella, but I got a job to record acapella group, 1 song 15 boys only, and a second song 15 boys and 15 girls for total of 30.
Recording will take place in a church. With limited Mic collection I thought of the following set up.

Main mics 414 in M/S set up. Keeping the soloist in the center of a half circle shape.
I figure I can use the “Mid” Mic to get a good balance between the solos and the rest of the group when mixing.

Am I going wrong here? Any suggestion for a better set up?
Thanks.
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauli View Post
Keeping up with this old thread..
I don't have much experience in recording acapella, but I got a job to record acapella group, 1 song 15 boys only, and a second song 15 boys and 15 girls for total of 30.
Recording will take place in a church. With limited Mic collection I thought of the following set up.

Main mics 414 in M/S set up. Keeping the soloist in the center of a half circle shape.
I figure I can use the “Mid” Mic to get a good balance between the solos and the rest of the group when mixing.

Am I going wrong here? Any suggestion for a better set up?
Thanks.

Quick answer yes.

If you had other mic set-up's going you could possibly get away with this as a fix it, but if you bring up your mid to compensate balance you will colapse your stereo image, conversely if you try to add more of the side you will overwiden your image up to the point where the phase will collapse. If you need to get the solo louder either balance it acoustically or add a spot mic.

Regards

Roland
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

Do a spaced setup. Works best for choir IMHO. I prefer SDC omnis (that's not new in this forum), but depending on the room other patterns can work too.
Have the soloist step forward, which he probably will be doing in concert as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search