The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do you feel about the music you work on?
Old 4th February 2003
Super Moderator

Question How do you feel about the music you work on?

Believe it or not, I feel much more comfortable working with unfamiliar music (or artists) then music I'm familiar with!

Don't get me wrong, I love working on all types of projects, whether I'm familiar with the stuff or not. You're not gonna pigeon hold me into one style or sound... That's for sure!

The unfamiliar stuff keeps me open to new ideas. It helps me bring out the best in an artist. A kind of freshness to the sound I'm capturing. I look at it like I'm just magnifying what's already there.

What about you folks?
What makes you comfortable when working on a project?
Old 4th February 2003
I like fresh stuff, fresh bands, songs that perhaps need some ideas.

Bare bones stuff. I like to help flesh out the parts.

Old 4th February 2003
Lives for gear

When the client is in the room, I am extatic.....

I am game for most anythig, I just really want good songwriting, weather it be Paul Simonesque, or a Ramones tune.. otherwise it all just feels like a waste of time. Granted, it is stil way more fun than most any other gig I can think of, but a waste of time nonetheless..
Old 9th February 2003
Lives for gear

Im giving my age away here, but I just went home to michigan for my (20TH!!!!!!) HS reunion and I was one of a handful of people who were fortunate (and hard headed) enough to pursue their lifes dream. So many people gave up and settled for an occupation that just pays the bills. I try and keep a humble perspective and realize how lucky I am to be able to make music every day....sappy huh?
Old 9th February 2003
Super Moderator

That's beautiful, man!
Old 27th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Cool

I TOTALLY LOVE, and am TOTALLY INTO WHATEVER project I am currently working on, no matter what the style of the Music, or the level of competence and experience of the Musicians involved!!
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Maniac

there is a great amount of trust and risk involved when someone hires you to record their music. You are responsible for not making it suck, and on top of that hopefully taking their musical visions to the ears of the listeners...

On the contrary, it is a luxury to be recording great players and bands that have label budgets. Better players usually equal better sounds and less work, and when they happen to be signed you also then have more time, and more money, meaning you might be able to pay the bills to do this thing we all like so much...

I'm sure everyone finds themself "scouting" a band when they play live, seeing how their instruments sound, how well they can balance themselves, and how good they are with songwriting/aranging...

It would be nice to get nothing but great talent that makes life easy on you, but unfortunatly it's not always like that.
Old 9th March 2003
Lowdbrent
I don't dislike any type of music, just crappy players with attitudes. I started off liking my last gig, mixing for Junior Brown for two years. It got to be such a drain, that no amount of money was worth being around some crotchety old guy, whose career is on the down-side.

I REALLY find it hard to work with people that think that they are right, and have alot of cooky theories about things, that aren't logical, or supported by physics. This old fart steel player was buying old Army tubes (NOTHING CLOSE to a 6L6) to put in his Fender Twins, because the argon gas gave it a good tone. What crap! There was no argon gas, that's why they were called vaccum tubes. Compound that with the fact that he never would bias the things, and kept burning the resistor at the socket base. Then I would get chewed out. Go figure. God my blood pressure is going up just thinking of all the stupid crap that I had to deal with. I sure miss 123dB of two Fender Twins, on "10." with the orange JBL's. NOT.

I agree that mobile recording is great for experiencing diversity and the mindsets that create it. I love doing something different everyday. I love classical, chamberm jazz, rock, country, etc. Anything but these lame blues guys around here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search