The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , ,

The Mics You have Dumped, and Why...
Old 12th July 2008
Gear Addict

Talking The Mics You have Dumped, and Why...

The Remotester Mic Locker thread inspired this one. It could be a good learning point, actually. Mics to avoid, or at least to listen to before you decide. There's a moral here somewhere....

Okay, mics of my past:

MXL 2001, pair. I can't explain why I bought them, and do I really need to explain why they're gone? GAVE them away, even!

Earthworks SR71, pair. Decent enough mics, my first matched pair, actually. Proved to be too noisy for classical work, so off they went.

CAD E300, pair. These LDC's were bought on a recommendation, and I wanted to try them in a Blumlien array. Hah! The things were the size of a garbage can, and sounded bright as a 1970's transistor radio. Not even the nice case they were in could save them. Gone.

Avenson STO-2, pair. NICE mics, neutral, good sounding, but like the EW SR71's, just too noisy for classical work. I sold them just last week.

Shure LX-4/SM57. Used it once for a Vegas style show. It then sat too long, and cash was needed, so off it went.

Rode NT2, pair. I liked these mics, chose them in their price range over AT's, AKG's, and others in a listening test. They served me very well, and I was sorry to sell them - but, once again, not used enough (any more) and cash was needed.

Lastly, Peluso CEMC6, pair. Not bad, but I felt the Shure KSM137 was better - bought them to try them, and the Shures won out. They went to a new home.

Okay - fellow remotesters, mics of your past?
Old 12th July 2008
Lives for gear

Hi Mark, I'll be the first to bite:

Neumann KM184. Reason? Schhhhzzzingle!! Way too bright for my tassssste. Bought them assss my firsssst matched pair, then a pair of MK21 ssssshowed me what I was misssssssing. Sold 'em and replaced with Gefell M300.

Earthworks QTC1 pair. They were OK mics, really good on organ projects, but beyond that application just seemed too hard and cold (compared to my MK2S pr). They get knocked for being noisy, but frankly that never was an issue with me (organ wind noise always trumped the self noise). Sold 'em and replaced with a pr of 8020.

Mike
Old 12th July 2008
Lives for gear

Soundelux U99: never met my expectations for voice. It worked well for quite a few instruments, but was a total loss for virtually all vocals...

Funny you mentioned the TC SR71's - I own a pr of TC30k's, and tho I LOVE their detail, I can almost never use them except on loud sources due to that noise issue. Same with DPA 4060/61's. Still kept both varieties because they can do extremely well when mixes are busier.

Rode NT-1 (orig.) tho it can sound pretty good, the raspy top end eventually got to me. No more Rode mics for me, unless an NTV (pretty rare) or a Classic fall into my hands.

Other than that - I still have every mic I've ever bought and the list is ever growing. That said, if a mic hasn't been used in 5 years, it's time for it to go (new rule, and works pretty good so far!)

best,
Old 12th July 2008
Lives for gear

Gefell M930: purchased off ebay on a whim, used it once or twice, then thought I didn't really need another cardioid LDC - my 414s serve the purpose well. Sold it with a little bit of profit even.

Earthworks SR78: Originally had the Z30XL, which was absolutely stunning on a Sarod, but the body was way too fragile and eventually it didn't work any more. Eric Blackmer was kind enough to offer an exchange for the SR78 at a certain upgrade fee, but I didn't like that mic much. It is way too noisy even to be used as a harpsichord spot... Sold it. No profit whatsoever...

Various AKG CK1 and CK 5 capsules, some separately, some with body (451/460). Too bright. Got two CK3 hypers instead, which are nice.

KM 184: Next to go. Not all that bad (if not too close up), but I don't use it much.

Tested and returned: Gefell M300. Didn't like these at all. Very unpleasantly coloured off-axis. Not noteworthy otherwise...
Gefell M960 (omni): Too bright, unpleasant nervous sound.
Old 12th July 2008
Lives for gear

Neumann U87 ai - extremely ovepriced, not very nice sounding (hyped, scooped, bright)
Old 12th July 2008
Original Rode NT1 - just plain average

Blue Baby Bottle - not bad but time for an upgrade

Kept most everything else.

Just had a pair of Chinese Mann M11's modded by Ross Giles in Melbourne, Oz - very keen to hear the results - he reckons they now sound 200% better. They wouold have been the next to go but we'll see.

Old 12th July 2008
Lives for gear

I have never really dumped a microphone...!

I have three Earthworks microphones (and hopefully more soon). After finding a free program for eliminating self-noise easily...wow I don't think I'll need any other microphones heh.
Old 12th July 2008
Gear Addict

I forgot one.

AKG C414B XLII - not bad, but not good enough. I had heard the earlier 414's and thought that's what I'd be getting. No. Head to head against the Shure KSM44, I felt the 44 was the better mic (smoother, especially on voice, and had better pattern control). Sold the 414 for I bought it for, it was worth trying.

I like the idea of five years in the locker and if not used, gone. I use a similar system. One year of no use, or if I hate it, I sell it (them).

Some I'll never sell. Throw them in my casket along with me!
Old 12th July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
I have never really dumped a microphone...!
After finding a free program for eliminating self-noise easily...wow I don't think I'll need any other microphones heh.
Hey, Bryan - may I ask what program?
Old 12th July 2008
Lives for gear

1)Soundelux U195 I found nothing special about it and it didn't have much over the C1 I had at the time. I sold it 2 weeks after buying it.
2)Peluso P12 It didn't have much over the C1 I had at the time and when I bought my Telefunken M16 MKII I found the latter to be everything the P12 should have been. That being said, I love my modified Peluso 2247.
Old 12th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjellybean View Post
1)Soundelux U195 I found nothing special about it and it didn't have much over the C1 I had at the time. I sold it 2 weeks after buying it.
2)Peluso P12 It didn't have much over the C1 I had at the time and when I bought my Telefunken M16 MKII I found the latter to be everything the P12 should have been. That being said, I love my modified Peluso 2247.
What did you mod on the Peluso?
Old 12th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
What did you mod on the Peluso?
Changed the transformer .
Old 12th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteaks View Post
Hey, Bryan - may I ask what program?
Reafir, one of the free plugins that come with Reaper. After I discovered the best way to use it I don't worry about excess noise due to mics or terrible recording halls anymore! Frankly, anyone who has tossed their EW mics or others due to self-noise is missing out big-time!

Oh yeah I forgot I actually did dump one mic set, the MXL 990/991 set. But that hardly counts, I got them practically for free just to try out and sold them the next week for what I bought them for. I won't touch them (MXL) anymore.
Old 12th July 2008
Lives for gear

I dumped:

AKG TLII--liked them until I used them next to some Pearl CC22's on chorus. The AKG's rendered much less detail and got me actually quite mad. Sold them to a dude in France.

Earthworks--dumped from a moving Cadillac on to Harlem Ave. in Chicago. Episode described here on GS. This junk was noisy as noted. Furthermore, the designer's son had just appeared at a Chicago EARS meeting a few days before the dump. He was so full of nonsense and bs, that I HAD to dump out his product in his honor.

After I did it, a few Gear Sluts IM'ed me to know the location of the dump. Maybe one of them got the mics.

Neumann KM88--too bRITE, too brittle----sold to a gospel mang
Km53---back in the day I needed the money---I am an idiot!

2 M49s---see above

I kept everything else.
Old 12th July 2008
Lives for gear

Matched pair of C12A's .... cause I was hard up for cash and stupid
U47 Fet ........................ cause I was hard up for cash and stupid
Old 12th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Earthworks--dumped from a moving Cadillac on to Harlem Ave. in Chicago. Episode described here on GS. This junk was noisy as noted. Furthermore, the designer's son had just appeared at a Chicago EARS meeting a few days before the dump. He was so full of nonsense and bs, that I HAD to dump out his product in his honor.
If this is true, I not only hate you, but have no respect for you or any of your recordings.

If not, well good day sir. As noted I love my Earthworks mics, and if you have a pair you don't want I will PM you my address.
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

I'm about to dump some Gefell M300's finally. They are just too bright for acoustic applications I'm doing. I may use the funds to pick up a Josepheson 617-Set Omni.
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
One of my favourite stories here on GS. Well done Plush for expressing disgust at hubris so effectively.
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I'm about to dump some Gefell M300's finally. They are just too bright for acoustic applications I'm doing. I may use the funds to pick up a Josepheson 617-Set Omni.
If you dump'em out a moving car, let me know where you'll be driving.
Old 13th July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Earthworks--dumped from a moving Cadillac on to Harlem Ave. in Chicago. Episode described here on GS.
I'd love to read this but couldn't find the original post. Any helpers?
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VukOnCrack View Post
I'd love to read this but couldn't find the original post. Any helpers?
Gear you've given/thrown away?
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

i have dumped:

neumann km184s - way bright and harsh
neumann tlm103s - horrible in every way, i truly hated these mics
rode NTKs - not bad mics, just didnt use them, replaced them with AT4050s
gefell m300s - better then km184s, but not by much
at4041s - swapped em for pair of AT4051s which i love
shinybox and cascade fatheads - impedence problems
rode NT5s - too bright, much like km184s
akg C391b's - should have kept them, great for the money
naiant teeny omnis - gave them away - too noisy for anything

and here it gets interesting -

royer r-121 pair - oddly inconsistent
Schoeps CMC64s - great as a ORTF pair, but too boomy as spots
DPA 4006s - just didnt like the way they sounded
DPA 4011s - probably the best mics i have ever used, sold them due to family medical crisis, started using AKG C481s instead for less than half the price, and liked them almost as well.

my next mics wll be schoeps cmc6/mk2 pair or sennheiser mkh8020s.
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you dump'em out a moving car, let me know where you'll be driving.
haha no doubt. They're great mics, just not for my specific application.
Old 13th July 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu View Post
That doesn't look like it would be the original post. It seems to lack the necessary invective that would accompany a story like this.
Old 13th July 2008
Super Moderator

Great thread idea!

I love the concept even though I have a seriously hard time dumping anything electronic.

Quote:
Matched pair of C12A's .... cause I was hard up for cash and stupid
U47 Fet ........................ cause I was hard up for cash and stupid
Man, that's a crying shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
i have dumped:

neumann km184s - way bright and harsh
neumann tlm103s - horrible in every way, i truly hated these mics
rode NTKs - not bad mics, just didnt use them, replaced them with AT4050s
gefell m300s - better then km184s, but not by much
at4041s - swapped em for pair of AT4051s which i love
shinybox and cascade fatheads - impedence problems
rode NT5s - too bright, much like km184s
akg C391b's - should have kept them, great for the money
naiant teeny omnis - gave them away - too noisy for anything

and here it gets interesting -

royer r-121 pair - oddly inconsistent
Schoeps CMC64s - great as a ORTF pair, but too boomy as spots
DPA 4006s - just didnt like the way they sounded
DPA 4011s - probably the best mics i have ever used, sold them due to family medical crisis, started using AKG C481s instead for less than half the price, and liked them almost as well.

my next mics wll be schoeps cmc6/mk2 pair or sennheiser mkh8020s.
I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the TLM103.
For a minute I thought I was on another audio board...
It just didn't feel like Gearslutz without some TLM103 bashing.

I'm surprised about the Royer R121.
I was just talking about them yesterday during a two day live recording with the Charles Tolliver Big Band.
I was saying how I wish I had at least two more of these (R121) mics.
I love them on trumpet -- We used my two R121 on lead trumpet and Tolliver's trumpet.
The other three pets got Beyer M260s.
Old 13th July 2008

AKG "The Tube"
It was a turd.
Old 13th July 2008
Super Moderator

Rick, you said it.

I forgot about that mic.

Man, that was a serious mistake right from the start.
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear
Rode Classic. original version...nice sound, but quite a bit of self noise.
Beyer MC740...Got sick of the sibilance problem and fixing it into acceptability with a desser.
SM7...No "air" to the vocal, plain vanilla
AKG D112...got sick of the "THONG-THONG" mid-rangy kick sound that needed much EQ
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Some notes....

R121: How many people RTFM and learn that these mics have a bright side (the back) and a dark side (the front)?

Earthworks/Avenson: How many people realize that "omnidirectional" does NOT mean distance micing? With 1/4" condensers, you are using omni for CLOSE micing. CLOSE. Did I say Close? CLOSE. No proximity effect, enormous SPL handling, get the exact patch of air you want RIGHT UP ON THE SOURCE. Solves the s/n problem.

KM184: Much better than its rep. You need to know how to place it and on what. Not actually so bright! A spot mic; I only have one.

Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
KM184: Much better than its rep. You need to know how to place it and on what. Not actually so bright! A spot mic; I only have one.
Agreed, the KM184 is much maligned, but used correctly it is a high quality mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search