The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , ,

The Mics You have Dumped, and Why...
Old 16th October 2016
Lives for gear

I KEPT the world's most hated mic--the AKG SolidTube.

I LUV it.
Old 16th October 2016
We had an AKG C1000 that we purchased and used for a vocalist. She wanted the microphone to be made more comfortable to hold for long periods of time so we found a paint roller replacement roller that just fit and attached it to the mic's body. She loved it. When we were through with the recordings she asked if she could "purchase the mic because I love the way it feels and makes my voice sound". A no brainer and we sold it to her for what we paid for it plus the cost of the paint roller. I'll bet it was the only C1000 with a green "fur coat". FWIW
Old 16th October 2016
Lives for gear

The only microphone that I've ever came across that I would define as being unequivocally bad is the AKG C1000, closely followed by the C3000, which I never owned but had the misfortune of having to use. I'm surprised that it's still being sold as there are rivals that cost less and perform way better. I felt guilty towards the buyer when I sold my pair, back in the way back when. Maybe the latest versions have been improved - I don't know and I don't want to know . Otherwise I can always find a fun way of using even the cheapest mic.
Old 10th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
I have never really dumped a microphone...!

I have three Earthworks microphones (and hopefully more soon). After finding a free program for eliminating self-noise easily...wow I don't think I'll need any other microphones heh.
What software are you using to do this?
Old 10th May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1lt3r View Post
what software are you using to do this?
landr ?
Old 10th May 2017
Gear Addict

I have been contemplating moving a pair of Advanced Audio CM47FET's along. When I bought them it looked like I was going to get good use out of them. When they arrived I tested them to make sure they work. Then circumstances changed and I have never actually needed them and they have been sitting unused ever since.

Can't quite get myself to sell them though. The hassle of putting them for sale online, boxing them up idiot proof and scrounging the material to do that (too big for a well padded envelope), etc. is more than the inconvenience of the space they take up. Yes, I suppose I am lazy that way. On top of that, these are my only two LDC's and I always feel that as soon as I get rid of them, something will come along requiring just this kind of thing.

I have two Sennheiser MKH805's that I once bought cheap for an experiment. The experiment was succesful and I upgraded to two MKH816T's. Don't use the 805's anymore but I don't think I would get much for them and they don't take up a lot of space. One day I might use them as wall art or something.

Regards, Christine
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

I haven't sold that many mics either - mostly I keep what I buy. I did sell:

Studio Projects C4 pair - my first pair of SDC's. Totally fine for what they were and their price range, but I had a lot of other mics I liked better.

Cascade Knuckle Head - looked cool, wasn't too impressed by the sound.

Cascade Gomez Joly edition - sounded nice but I had a bunch of other short ribbon mics I liked more.

Neumann KM185 pair - I liked these mics, a friend liked them more and kept bugging me to sell them to him, I finally did with the caveat that I could borrow them back if I needed to.

3U Audio Warbler MkI pair - nice tone, but a little too grainy sounding for my taste and I have plenty of other mics.

-Mike
Old 15th May 2017
Lives for gear

Sennheiser 416
hardly ever used it
Old 18th May 2017
Lives for gear

I rolled a blue "the ball" straight into the bin. The rest of my mics are keepers.
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Maniac
I learned a lot from this thread so I dumped all my mics because they're all just too stupid.

Now I need to buy another one. Any recommendations?
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear
I agree with many of the evaluations here.
C1000S-worst mic I ever owned
TLM103- use em, were my first neumanns. glad to get rid of them
414 TLII- used em, but never liked. glad to get rid of them
Unidyne III are much better than SM57 only have the U3's now

The one that suprised me was that somebody did not like the Cole 4038...my fav mic in the world. They must not have known how to use them. I had that problem with the 201 when I first had one. Did not like it because I did not understand proximity effect yet.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

I had a lot of meh mics when I was just starting out and needed to cover larger ensembles. They've mostly been given away to newb-friends or they deteriorated so badly that they are good only as destructo-props now (looking at you, Oktava). Meanwhile my Schoeps mics from the early 1980's still chug along beautifully, with occasional German vacations.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Yep. I didn't like AKG 414s (modern ones) either. Sold some Cascade Fat-head ribbons. Couldn't get the Neumann KM185s out the door fast enough. Sold my AKG C426B stereo because I never used it. Liked it. Just never had a good place to use it, alas. Was hoping to turn it into a pair of Josephson C617s but they got sold out from under me. Damn!

D.
Old 11th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by just.sounds View Post
I rolled a blue "the ball" straight into the bin. The rest of my mics are keepers.
It is nice when a microphone is designed with efficiency of use in mind!
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

i sold...

c1000
c451
sm81
sm7b
most fig8's
most omnis

...as i either did not like their sound and/or performance (hf boost/self noise/limited maximum spl etc.) or simply because i had no use for them.
Old 12th August 2019
421's and 441's. Those are pinched off sounding to me. 451's were replaced with 460's.
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
421's and 441's.
Haha. Jim, you just don't record enough rock drum kits I take it

421s on toms; there isn't a better choice.

D.
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
421s on toms; there isn't a better choice.
there is - when it comes to size/positioning.

a 441 goes on the snare! and 460's (or calrec's or km84/85's or schoeps') on hats and overhead(s)...
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
there is - when it comes to size/positioning.

a 441 goes on the snare! and 460's (or calrec's or km84/85's or schoeps') on hats and overhead(s)...
You know? That's why they make vanilla and chocolate. Wow.

D.

Oh, and a pair of UM70S for OH.

Last edited by tourtelot; 12th August 2019 at 06:01 PM..
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
You know? That's why they make vanilla and chocolate. Wow.

D.
guess you got me wrong: i supported your view on the 421 to be a serious contender for toms (or kick or whatever): it's just that it ain't always possible to use it (depending on the drummer's setup or his/her willingness to adapt)...
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

mic dump

I got rid of:

4 x Sennheiser MKH405 - too noisy for the things I do, tuchel to XLR connector annoying and T-power, but liked the tone (have several MKH 40)

Sony C38b - spritz-y, metallic quality in the HF. Maybe worked well in the straight to tape days?

AKG C1000s - laughable, but the person I gave it too uses it all the time for
cassette 4-track recordings, so hey.

I wouldn't mind having kept any of these mics since there is a situation for every mic, if you are doing sound design or composing electronic music, but I don't like to keep stuff I am not actively using.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
... it ain't always possible to use [a 421] (depending on the drummer's setup or his/her willingness to adapt)...
You mean because of the clip?
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
guess you got me wrong: i supported your view on the 421 to be a serious contender for toms (or kick or whatever): it's just that it ain't always possible to use it (depending on the drummer's setup or his/her willingness to adapt)...
I did. Sorry. I also like the 441 on snare top but I also like a good old SM57. So there you go.

I never spent much time in the studio with rock and roll but a ton of it live, both reinforcement and remote truck work, so my favorites are a bit skewed to be sure.

D..
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

I dumped a pair of the AKG 414 TLII--a low detail mic with fake detail.

I dumped a Soyuz tube mic---good sound but not for me.

I dumped a Ronin Dove microphone. --Not for me

I dumped some M50 mics. Used them for 18 years and they needed to move out.
Too valuable to keep.

Then I took a vacation in France.
Old 12th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I dumped a pair of the AKG 414 TLII--a low detail mic with fake detail.

I dumped a Soyuz tube mic---good sound but not for me.

I dumped a Ronin Dove microphone. --Not for me

I dumped some M50 mics. Used them for 18 years and they needed to move out.
Too valuable to keep.

Then I took a vacation in France.
You forgot to mention the two Earthworks microphones you dumped on the highway because you didn't like them.
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, but everybody knows that story.
It was hilarious.
Old 12th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
You mean because of the clip?
lol, the 421's clips...

but no: some drummers have their cymbals positioned in ways that it's physically not possible to put up a large mic without touching the cymbals. or they use lots of toys attached to their kit that it becomes very hard to stick in any mic....

and then there is terry bozzio!
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
lol, the 421's clips...
I just meant the awkwardness. But those clips do encourage 421's to be self-dumping.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I just meant the awkwardness. But those clips do encourage 421's to be self-dumping.
I have never had any trouble with 421 clips. Just use a small retaining wire or zip tie threaded through the hole just ahead of the clip (when snapped in place) and it will not move.

http://www.undisclosedlocationstudio...ip-Tie-Fix.jpg

The 441 clip.... that is another story. LOL
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol, the 421's clips...

but no: some drummers have their cymbals positioned in ways that it's physically not possible to put up a large mic without touching the cymbals. or they use lots of toys attached to their kit that it becomes very hard to stick in any mic....

and then there is terry bozzio!
https://www.wilkinsonaudio.com/produ...v=7516fd43adaa

Much better way of mounting 421s.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search