The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Whatcha think - Vintech 1272 vs. Great River MP-1NV? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 24th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

yup the word W H O R E is censored. The Bill Gates Biblical Chip in action again.
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

As most hear are Gearslutz who are paid for their professional services, aren't we really Gear *****s? Are we afraid to look ourselves in the mirror?
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

Audio Images sale...

OK. So the GR is mine and my god it's purdy. Not a scratch to be found and it's boxed and mint.

It seems that this is a big ass sale too my friends, so if you're interested in getting in some killer deals, 1 time only, I highly recommend you browse their site or make a call to them. There's a PDF that not quite complete on their site of all the stuff that'll be on sale. They've still got to put some mics that are display models on there...but it's all going cheap. The PDF doesn't accurately reflect what they'll do for you, so if you see something you like give 'em a call. Evidently a GearSlutz breathren has already made a call and they were marvelling that someone from the mid-west was asking about the sale

They are super-cool to deal with and have some nifty stuff laying around like this AMEK channel strip I've been eyeing for the last year...yummy.

http://www.audioimages.com/

Have fun.
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

That gearslut from the midwest would be me! And yes, they ARE making KILLER deals! Jim is a great guy too! Wish I still lived on the West Coast, I'd stop in and say hello. TommyD
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
The problem there is that 1) multiple conversions degrade the audio....what your talking about here would be a total of three...one in during tracking, one out to the NV, one back into the computer. 2) the only way to get into the Great River at the properly matched 600 ohm load is through the -10 input on the back...there may not always be enough gain to drive the +4 signal (depends on how hot you have the track). Also the -10 ouput does not utilize the output transformer, so it won't give you as much of the character that you may be seeking in doing this. The intrument DI is @ 1.2 mega ohms (!) and the mic input is either 300 or 1200 ohms (you could pad this down, but you still have the impedance issues). But ok, you could use your ears and see what happens, it may be cool for gritty stuff, but I think what you need is a +4 line input 600ohm input with a transformer there...something like on a fatso.
Can you clarify this a bit, please?
Let's say for example I want to run a stereo track [already recorded or synth'd in the DAW] through the MP-2NV --this would be my most common application of it. How would you suggest connecting the MP to my D/A & A/Ds?
Old 27th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by six_wax
Can you clarify this a bit, please?
Let's say for example I want to run a stereo track [already recorded or synth'd in the DAW] through the MP-2NV --this would be my most common application of it. How would you suggest connecting the MP to my D/A & A/Ds?

Tell me first what your goal is in doing this.
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

I'm tracking from mostly digital sources [soft synths & samplers], and I would like to use the GR MP to add some body and tone [or drive and crunch] to the individual tracks or groups.

Ample description? Please advise. Thx for your help! yuktyy
Old 27th January 2003
Gear Addict

What about the Dan alexander?
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

I just spent the weekend tracking with the MP-2NV and I actually used it to sort of reamp some beats I'd whipped up for this particular song I was working on. It's more a slow rock-ish tune and I'd used a natural sounding drum kit in Kontakt (tracked all in Logic 5). I create a fairly realistic performance and the sound of the kit was a bit think compared to everything else in the tune so I thought I'd drop the kit through the 2NV. I went directly out of the 2408MKII into the 2NV, set levels (higher on the input gain for a little squash) and output levels, went directly back into the 2408MKII and let er' rip.

Was there a difference? You betcha. It wasn't an exagerated difference sonically, it was just a little bit more body to the sound of the drums and a little more happening on the lowend side of things. It also kind of glued the parts togeather a little more as well and the beats sat very nicely in the track after that.

I'm also happy to report that the 2NV actually likes my TLM103 a lot and I was actually able to use it as a vocal mic for my voice for the first time. It really took the edge off and made it much more pleasant to listen to. The sound also really sticks out of a mix well, but not in an awkward way.

Overall I'm super happy with the sound of the recording.
Old 27th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by six_wax
I'm tracking from mostly digital sources [soft synths & samplers], and I would like to use the GR MP to add some body and tone [or drive and crunch] to the individual tracks or groups.

Ample description? Please advise. Thx for your help! yuktyy
When you are tracking/recording the synth parts, go out of some sort of D/A. The most practical thing is to use your on board synth analog outputs which is pretty typical. If you are doing virtual tracks (ie VSTi), a problem develops when you record your tracks digitally into the computer and the go D/A out of the computer, because a standard line level output from a pro audio D/A is going to be +4 600ohms.

This is not the case with a typical instrument level output found on a standalone, portable synth. In my previous statement, the only solution I could come up with from a practical standpoint (IF you are going to go D/A out of the computer to run the synth tracks to instead of out of a regular keyboard), is to ditch the idea all together, because I see no practical usage in it with a microphone preamp. I don't think the preamp will give you what you are looking for from an operational standpoint in this specific usage. You need something that has the ability to provide coloration with a line level input. Something like a Distressor or Fatso.

If you are using a traditional synth setup, it's easy (and forgive me if this redundant for you). Go into the DI input on the front of the 2NV, probably using the 1200 ohm mode, but you may like the 300 ohm option. If you want more drive, you will probably have to turn the output of the keyboard track down, and then turn the input of the NV up to the tone of your tastes.

Does anybody know if there is product on the market that will turn a +4 600 ohm signal into a high impedance -20 (or -10)signal?
Old 27th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Ebtech's Line Level Shifter does it. Not sure about the ohmage, but it's probably within standards.
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

That was really helpful, Nathan. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 27th January 2003
Lives for gear

One more Q:

Those level shifters are relatively inexpensive. Does anyone have any experience with them? Do they faithfully transmit a signal or is there a resulting degredation?
Old 27th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Can you try one out with the option of returning it? I only know what they do, but haven't actually used one.
Old 28th January 2003
Lives for gear

Luckily, I am fortunate enough to have a set of converters that is dip-switchable between +4dBu & -10dBv.

woo hoo!
Old 28th January 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Ianneve
What about the Dan alexander?
Ok when it works. I own a Vintech now.
Old 28th January 2003
Gear Addict

Hum,,,, Mine seems to work fine and sound great.
Old 29th January 2003
One with big hooves

Well, lets see. The first one I bought had one channel that didn't work at all. Well, it worked but the stepped switch was stuck at 20dB. Then the second one was fine for about a year with the exception of channel 1's stepped swtich sometimes cutting out at 40dB. So, I opened it up to hit it with contact cleaner and found really sub par wiring. I also went through two power supplys in that year. Oh, and the only path to ground is through audio. Not too cool. There's more, do a search because I've posted it many times.
Old 29th January 2003
Gear Addict

Well I feel lucky then cause mine works great and sounds great. Hope it stays that way? I've been using the Martech Mss-10 for the last 10 year and now I have a UA 2610. The Dan pre is better on bass guitar and electrics. I dig it. And you can't beat the price.
Old 1st February 2003
Here for the gear

Re: nope...

That's right everyone!

Glad to make your acquaintance here on the Gearslutz board. We're moving into a new building, so check out our website at www.audioimages.com to get the latest list of gear... and if you don't see it on the list, call us and ask! I still have to update the software, the rest of our mics, and everything in our speaker room. Then, I'll add the rest of the stuff in our warehouse. You have to call us for prices, since we can't put them in print.

We have to be out of our current building by the end of February, so make your best deal now.

Glad to hear the good thoughts about us. You're not going to believe the new place.

-- Jim
Audio Images

Quote:
Originally posted by infiniteposse
I actually got it from a local SF shop, Audio Images. They're getting ready to move shop to a new location nearbye and didn't want to schlup more than they needed to with them. They had this out as a display unit that's gotten little to no use. Dumb luck. I'm rationalizing it by thinking that I got the 2nd channel for 50% off.
Old 2nd February 2003
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
the word W H O R E

That's the one.
Old 3rd February 2003
Gear Head

Old 3rd February 2003
Gear Head

no ****ing way...

it did edit *****...

w.h.o.r.e.
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

Hey guys and gals, I was wondering what you think about running a single channel great river and then using the compressor and EQ only from the 737..... and then slamming it with a distressor,
or should i just sell the 737 and get the chandler TG1?
Kindest Regards
AJ

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search