The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
An open letter to the Gearslutz.com Gods
Old 8th January 2003
Super Moderator

Question An open letter to the Gearslutz.com Gods

Question 1:

Should there be a new forum between the moan zone and the good channel?

Question 2:

Should we create a general forum for topics that are business related, suggestions, open letter formats, or not appropriate for the current forums?

Question 3:

What you think about it?
Old 8th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

Re: An open letter to the Gearslutz.com Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness
Question 1:

Should there be a new forum between the moan zone and the good channel?

Question 2:

Should we create a general forum for topics that are business related, suggestions, open letter formats, or not appropriate for the current forums?

Question 3:

What you think about it?
Really, I seldom go to theforums specifically - I tend to simply read the new posts. Unless I want to start a thread, and then I choose the forum that seems most appropriate. I would like to know how other folks approach the business side of the industry, so I wouldn't be at all averse to the idea.
Old 8th January 2003
Biz issues pop up whenever & wherever IMHO...

Gear gear & nothing but the gear..

Biz issues = the pepper on the Gearslutz meat and potatoes...

Old 8th January 2003
Super Moderator

OK, but what about suggestions, open letter formats, or stuff not appropriate for the current forums?
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

do you mean suggestions about how GS should look, run, etc?

I am trying to think what is not appropriate?

I only say this because I watched what happened to the Biz forum on another site..
Old 9th January 2003
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
do you mean suggestions about how GS should look, run, etc?

I am trying to think what is not appropriate?

I only say this because I watched what happened to the Biz forum on another site..
Yes, GS issues, etc. plus anything that doesn't fit in any of the other forums. Not just business, but anything that doesn't elsewhere.

Hey, I'm not trying to start trouble, I just thought a general (anything goes) open forum would be appropriate...

It may not be as helpful for people like Dave, that seldom go to individual forums. Like Dave said, "I tend to simply read the new posts." And that works just fine for him.

What about others that may use GS by looking at the forum they like to read? Or when they want to start a thread, and there's no appicable place to put it.

Look at this thread; Does it belong in the "Remote Possibilities" forum? Is the better idea, just to choose the forum that seems "most" appropriate?
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

No trouble here...

I hear ya, maybe it would be cool to have a way to steer people to diffrent threads in diff forums? I know recpit has links on the main page, but since we don;t have a main page ( thank god..)

My only pont is that i like that we get folks with diff intrests this way.. I don;t think that I would nessacarily check a " open letter" forum.. not that my opinion is all that matters..

I dunno..
Old 10th January 2003
Super Moderator

For one thing, if we had an "open Letter" forum, this thread would have been in there... well maybe not, since I would be posting about something that already happened...

The business thread you started at the "Remote Possibilities" forum could have been started in an "open Letter" type of forum. I'm sure we can find many other threads that would fit a lot better in a miscellaneous forum, then the ones they end up in...

But that's just my opinion.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Maniac

I vote for leaving politics and bizz stuff out of the scenario and sticking to gear and how to use it. I 've been involved in forums that offered the soap box platform and they crash in controversy every time.

My 2¢ worth
Old 10th January 2003
Super Moderator

You don't have to post anything about politics and business stuff in a miscellaneous or open letter type of forum. It's just for stuff you want to say that may not fit anywhere else. When you got nothing to "moan" about or nothing "good" to say about the gear or how to use it, you can leave it there. You know, the stuff that falls between the cracks.

I'm not suggesting the creation of a soap box forum. IMO, that's not what GS is all about. I dig this bulletin board too much to suggest that direction. I'm talking about the miscellaneous chat that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Maniac

OK Remoteness, I hear you. I host a couple of private forums and in each of them I created a 'Virtual Cafe' that serves as a meeting place for daily chat about whatever moves you. Sounds to me like that's what you're after.
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness
For one thing, if we had an "open Letter" forum, this thread would have been in there... well maybe not, since I would be posting about something that already happened...

The business thread you started at the "Remote Possibilities" forum could have been started in an "open Letter" type of forum. I'm sure we can find many other threads that would fit a lot better in a miscellaneous forum, then the ones they end up in...

But that's just my opinion.
Ah ha, I see.. makes sense all of a sudden.

Hey I may be slow, but at least I'm dull.....
Old 10th January 2003
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover
OK Remoteness, I hear you. I host a couple of private forums and in each of them I created a 'Virtual Cafe' that serves as a meeting place for daily chat about whatever moves you. Sounds to me like that's what you're after.

Your idea sounds like a cool plan, and very possible; As you already know, I was suggesting something much simpler, like a place to post stuff not applicable elsewhere.

There was a recent post about starting a label. Steve's post about the biz, plus many others can live there...

The "Other Gearoovy Sitez!" forum maybe a great place to put it. Purhaps it can be called "Miscellaneous Chat and Very Gearoovy sitez" or something to that effect...

Anyway, it's up to the Gearslutz Gods to make it so. I'm just lobbying for it because I believe it can work well for GS.
Old 17th January 2003
Gear Maniac

I think a forum that was dedicated to the business side of recording could be a great idea - covering everything from customer service, to things you do to get work done faster, and how you afford your gear!

could grow into something with a moderator - someone more old school that has been thru the ages and change over to the digital movement...
Old 22nd January 2003
Lives for gear

Perhaps this thread could serve as our new "open Letter " Forum.

Besides I have something to post in it...

If you're happy and You know it, Bomb IRAQ

If you cannot find Osama, bomb Iraq.
If the markets are a drama, bomb Iraq.
If the terrorists are Saudi,
And your alibi is shoddy,
And your tastes remain quite gaudy,
Bomb Iraq.

If you never were elected, bomb Iraq.
If your mood is quite dejected, bomb Iraq.
If you think that SUVs,
Are the best thing since sliced cheese,
And your father you must please,
Bomb Iraq.

If the globe is quickly warming, bomb Iraq.
If the poor will soon be storming, bomb Iraq.
We assert that might makes right,
Burning oil is a delight,
For the empire we will fight,
Bomb Iraq.

If we have no allies with us, bomb Iraq.
If we think that someone's dissed us, bomb Iraq.
So to hell with the inspections,
Let's look tough for the elections,
Close your mind and take directions,
Bomb Iraq.

If corporate fraud is growin', bomb Iraq.
If your ties to it are showin', bomb Iraq.
If your politics are sleazy,
And hiding that ain't easy,
And your manhood's getting queasy,
Bomb Iraq.

Fall in line and follow orders, bomb Iraq.
For our might now knows no borders, bomb Iraq.
Disagree? We'll call it treason,
It's the make war not love season,
Even if we have no reason,
Bomb Iraq.
Old 22nd January 2003
urumita

brilliant! I'm sure those in Iraq will not agree
if there are more forums, most won't ever see them. it's a scrolling issue. how about changing the order of the forums in a round robin fashion so those who visit get to see a different forum on top every week week?
Old 22nd January 2003
Super Moderator

Re: Re: An open letter to the Gearslutz.com Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by posterchild
What about combining the moan zone and the good channel into a general purpose forum called "The Lounge"? That way, the good, the bad, and the miscellaneous can all mingle there.
Man, that's a Great Idea! yuktyy rollz yuktyy

Thanks, posterchild!

The consolidation of those forums sounds perfect to me.

Why add a forum, when you can consolidate?

That will keep it lean and mean with nothing in between. heh
Old 30th January 2003
Super Moderator

THE LOUNGE!!!
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

Pronounced - "LOUEN-GEEEE"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search