The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

Anyone know what Rudy Van Gelder is recording with ? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Talking Anyone know what Rudy Van Gelder is recording with ?

I'm amazed at the great sound I'm listening too, I thought for sure it was 2". I heard the new CD from Jimmy McGriff on a local Jazz station, liked it and picked up a copy.

I've played it a couple of times and thought to myself each time what a nice relief it was to hear something tracked to good ol' tape. But damn, when I picked up the CD and took a close look, it's pure digital and proudly labled so. There's even a "24-BIT by RVG" logo on it

So does anyone know how this CD was recorded?
Old 8th January 2003
One with big hooves

RVG has always been really secretive about his equipment and techniques. Not much is known and nobody has ever seen real pictures. Supposedly he even sets up dummy mics while recording so nobody knows which mics are actually being used. But whatever he's done it always sounds great.
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

How old is Rudy now?
He's got to be getting up in age.

Damn, it sure would be a shame if he took all his methods and tricks to the grave.
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
RVG has always been really secretive about his equipment and techniques
Yup, I've heard that a few times.

Well what he's laying down sounds awesome and I wish I had some clue about how he's getting it done.
Old 8th January 2003
Re: Anyone know what Rudy Van Gelder is recording with ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover
I'm amazed at the great sound I'm listening too, I thought for sure it was 2". I heard the new CD from Jimmy McGriff on a local Jazz station, liked it and picked up a copy.

I've played it a couple of times and thought to myself each time what a nice relief it was to hear something tracked to good ol' tape. But damn, when I picked up the CD and took a close look, it's pure digital and proudly labled so. There's even a "24-BIT by RVG" logo on it

So does anyone know how this CD was recorded?
He was using a Genex machine for a while(not the new DSD machine but the earlier 8 channel box, around 3-4 years ago).

I have no idea what he is using now, but he is definitely recording to digital.

Some of the musicians/producers that i know that have worked with him were not as crazy about the "new"digital sound.

He still covers up all of his equipment when he does interviews.
Old 8th January 2003
urumita

The biggest advantage that RVG has had is his clients. He also knows how to treat them. Do a search on GS and you will find more threads like this. But the answer to the question is BRAINS and LOVE
Old 9th January 2003
One with big hooves

Totally. People who know how to play and make good sounds make this recording thing really easy.
Old 12th January 2003
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

I just want to know how he convinced all of those big NYC jazz greats to trek out to Hackensack to his mom's living room to record? These were established pros who could have recorded at any of the famous NYC studios; how did some kid from Jersey get them to cross the bridge and setup in the living room? (before he built his own studio in Englewood and had the incredible history of sessions as a calling card)

s
Old 12th January 2003
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve
I just want to know how he convinced all of those big NYC jazz greats to trek out to Hackensack to his mom's living room to record?
s
The only person he had to convince was the producer who in most cases also owned the record label in addition to being a promoter or a club owner. I'm sure that a free session or two for one label was all it took.

A lot of the appeal was that it WAS a residence and totally devoted to music as art rather than to pop music and commercials which were the bread and butter of the major studios. This meant that the musicians didn't have to worry about what impression they'd make on studio personnel, didn't have to worry about the musicians' union and didn't have to worry about anybody using drugs.
Old 13th January 2003
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 7rojo7
The biggest advantage that RVG has had is his clients. He also knows how to treat them. Do a search on GS and you will find more threads like this. But the answer to the question is BRAINS and LOVE
If you haven't got a chance to read this one...

Here's a hyper link to another RVG thread on GS.
Old 13th January 2003
Old 12th November 2005
Gear Maniac

checked that site, the page doesn't exist anymore.... :( what was it about?
Old 12th November 2005
Han
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by domitori
checked that site, the page doesn't exist anymore.... :( what was it about?
It's about the making of 'Kind of Blue' , try this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...739252-9381427
Old 30th June 2007
mal
Gear Head

RVG

Maureen Sickler (Trumpeter & Producer Don Sickler's daughter) has been RVG's assistant for the past no of years so perhaps she will carry on if RVG ever reitires...as to mic techniques there are plenty of photos of sessions you can look at....in particular the drum micing is interesting..usually 3 mics...a kik/ a mic highish up between snr & hats..and one on the left....not like today with stereo oheads and indiv spots...of course the big room gave the drums their unique sound also...if you get the Blue Note RVG cd which has his selections, there is a bonus DVD with Michael Cuscuna interviewing Rudy in his studio...he talks about his life and recording history...the camera also looks around the studio..he appears to have a Soundtracks DS3 Digital mixer (the same as I use!)....

I have listened to quite a few of his recent recordings..as well as many older ones (I also present a Jazz program)...some of the newer ones seem to be quite compressed, as if they are mastered with very quick attack times...and some still sound good..eg: Frank Foster.....but as always ..a
matter of taste...
Old 30th June 2007
Lives for gear

There was an interview with him in Tapeop a few years ago. It was a pretty interesting read. I do seem to remember him saying that he doesn't miss tubes or tape.
Old 30th June 2007
Lives for gear

This link does work:
Rudy Van Gelder Interview
Old 30th June 2007
Gear Head

This killer interview with Rein Narma by CJ @ the Lab might shed some light on some of the stuff RVG used to use - http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/vie...udy+van+gelder
Old 28th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_steve View Post
I just want to know how he convinced all of those big NYC jazz greats to trek out to Hackensack to his mom's living room to record? These were established pros who could have recorded at any of the famous NYC studios; how did some kid from Jersey get them to cross the bridge and setup in the living room? (before he built his own studio in Englewood and had the incredible history of sessions as a calling card)

s
Probably because he lets the artist create their art and he's a HUGE fan of their work, so I'm sure he let's them do things they might not normally be able to get away with when recording with the big record labels. A lot of the recordings had a lot of experimental aspects of what was released and it was very "uncommercial" to the mass population. Artists probably dig the fact that he let's them be themselves.

Plus, it's nice to get away from the hassle of the big cities. A lot of people can be more creative and relaxed out in the middle of no where. It could have been the room as well. He had pitched ceilings, which most recordings studios don't have, so it might have created an interesting studio sound while they are playing. Live but intimate is my guess.

One can Google Rudy Van Gelder photos and there are a LOT of photos on the internet.
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear
Not a fan.....
Roy Du Nann is my man
A genius.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search