The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Remember WPIX-FM Broadcasts (1979)? Modular Synthesizers
Old 28th September 2018
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, there are no online (public) live music performances from these live radio concerts. Joe from Chicago has all the masters, yet none of them made it to the public "ear." That said, there are a few bootlegs that are floating around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genny1957 View Post
Hi. I’m very familiar. Are there anywhere to listen to them?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I'm replying to the post of Will from october 28th 2004 (see below)

Hi Will,
I was a guitarplayer in the Dutch punk band PANIC and we performed in CBGB's on july 4th 1978 in CBGB's and on july 5th and 6th 1978 in CBGB's theatre. One of the performances in CBGB's theatre was recorded and broadcasted by WPIX-FM. It was the same day that Richard Hell and the Voidoids performed. You could say that we were supporting act. On that occasion we were interviewed by a young woman, which was Jane Hamburger, if my memory serves me well. There is a photo in my possesion of this interview with Jane and all the members of PANIC behind the interview desk. Can't get it in to this message, but if you want I can sent it to you by email.
I also still have a copy of a handwritten confirmation, dated 6/25/78 of Hillary Kristal on CBGB & OMFUG paper that we have been asked to perform on those three occasions, and a the VILLAGE VOICE, The Weekly Newspaper of New York, july 3, 1978, in which on page 96 our appearance was advertised.
Maybe this information is (still) of any use for you.
Greetings from Europe, Netherlands, Amsterdam
Michiel van 't Hof / (alias Mike DeCourt, guitarist of PANIC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Anybody out there recall all of the live broadcasts from WPIX-FM
(mid-1978 to early 1980)?

They started a series of broadcasts called "Live at CBGB's" on July 7, 1978, which featured many local and "underground" bands of the era (The Dead Boys were on the first show, Richard Hell and Elvis Costello were on another). The host of the show was Jane Hamburger.

Aside from that, there were live "oldies" shows like Sam & Dave, the Troggs, etc. They also broadcast live shows by newer, up-and-coming acts like the Police, Joe Jackson, XTC, the Specials, the Records, etc.

In addition to their live "guest DJ" interview show called "Radio, Radio," they had a "New Rock & Roll Show," an "Old Rock & Roll Show," and generally played the cutting edge rock & roll /new wave dance music of the time - a pretty radical move, considering the "disco fever" that had taken over the airwaves by the end of the 70s. It was probably the only station where you could hear Frank Zappa, the Clash, the Four Tops, the Ramones and Eddie Cochran all in the same hour.

Coincidentally (well, not really), I'm working on a book about WPIX. Any info anyone has would be appreciated!

-Will
Posted on 28th of october 2004
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Great stuff!
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear
28th September 2018 04:11 AM Remoteness posted
"Unfortunately, there are no online (public) live music performances from these live radio concerts. Joe from Chicago has all the masters, yet none of them made it to the public "ear." That said, there are a few bootlegs that are floating around."

My question:
How can I get in contact with Joe from Chicago?

I hope to be able to get Mastertapes from our (PANIC, a dutch Punkband from Amsterdam, The Netherlands) performance on July 5th or 6th 1978 in CBGB's Theatre
Anyone who knows how to reach Joe from Chicago, please help!

Greetings from Europe, Netherlands, Amsterdam
Michiel van 't Hof / (alias Mike DeCourt, guitarist of PANIC)

13 by Panic on Spotify

'13' van Panic op Apple Music
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search