The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

Anyone using JLM Audio mic pres?
Old 16th June 2008
Gear Nut
Question Anyone using JLM Audio mic pres?

Just wondering if anyone has used any of the mic pres from JLM Audio? The 8 channel looks like it might be handy for live work.

Thanks,

Ken

JLM AUDIO
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

I have two TG500 modules. Joe's stuff is very well crafted and his service is outstanding. Highly recommended.
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Maniac

I built some of the Dual 99V preamps available as kits. They are well made and Joe is very helpful. I have been away so much they have not gotten much use since I finished them, so I won't offer my oppinion on the sound, but its easy to find many. Check out the Prodigy Pro forums if you are interested in talking to more folks who have built the kits

My metalwork leaves something to be desired.

Prodigy Professional :: Index
Old 24th June 2008
Here for the gear

i have used them for many years. i wanted a straight forward compact 'real' preamp for location recording especially, admittedly for the 'last' 16 channels, the less crucial tracks. but if that was all i had i would happily use them on everything.
they are dependable and i like to use them.

here is a pic of them in the studio rack, the mobile rack would be arranged the same
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone using JLM Audio mic pres?-jlmpres.jpg  
Old 24th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K View Post
The 8 channel looks like it might be handy for live work.
which one are you referring to?

i only have a baby animal here at the moment but ill be building more which will hopefully take a form that will be designed for location work.
Old 25th June 2008
Gear Nut

JLM pre's

Hey there,

I've used pretty much every pre that JLM Audio has released - the TMP-8 sounds very much like the Focusrite Red, a little bit dark and very punchy. Fantastic for drums, gtrs etc...... I can also highly recommend his TG pre's, but i don't think he makes them in an 8-pack... At one point he was making an 8-pack of Neve 1290 pre's - perhaps drop him an email to ask. Just write to [email protected] and put 'Want to Buy' in the subject line - that way he'll respond to your email more quickly....

All the best,
Ben
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

I am using the JLM Baby Animal preamps. Love them. Specially with JLM iron on them and JLM opamps.

SAMPLE

Vocals on this song are all recorded with JLM Baby Animal preamp, through my DIY Pultec, DIY 1176 and DIY LA-2A

Actually song is mixed 70% through my personal DIY gear. Listen and judge for yourself
Old 27th March 2010
Lives for gear

That sounded good

Matti

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search