The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: ,

Vertical Mic Bars
Old 6th September 2004
Gear Head

Vertical Mic Bars

Hi there,

Long time lurker here. Thought I had registered before, but seems someone else has my regular board name.

I'm currently working on building a pair of tube LDC mics and one of the things I'd like to do with them is finally see what Blumlein is like.

Question is, short of spending $245-$345 for AEA's mic bars, are there any other alternatives for mounting mics in Blumlein, on the same stand?

Don't get me wrong, if I had the money I'd much rather get the AEA bars. And eventually I will. But at this point in time, it's just not feasible.

Thanks,
Daniel Stover
Old 6th September 2004
Lives for gear

Just a comment about the AEA bars. I also thought the pricing was kinda crazy, and I put some serious effort into a DIY design. By the time I would have collected all of the little bits, had some bar stock machined, then engraved and finally put everything together, there wasn't that much savings to be had (if your time is worth anything) .So I paid AEA for their product and its been a great tool to have around. On the other hand, their elastic suspension hanger for the 4038 can be easily replicated for a tiny fraction of the $60 that they charge. I got my old one for $50 before the recent price increase, but I have since built a couple of new ones for well under $10. (using the same parts AEA uses). And because I am building them for myself, I can insure that the DIY ones are put together a little nicer than the retail version.

So, I can't help you do any better on the 17" SMP mount, but the elastic hanger is an easy 1/2 hour DIY project.
Old 7th September 2004
Gear Nut

Get the AEA 'sliders' - part SMP-S, I believe. To do stereo, get 3 of them. 1 for each mic, and another with a female coupler to attach to your mic stand. Then go to the hardware store and get some 1/4" x 1" aluminum bar, and cut to length. Still not cheap, but cheaper, and just as good as the real thing. Be sure to take one of the sliders with you to the hardware store, as the tolerances on the sliders are much tighter than the aluminum bars. I found only about 1/3 of the bars I tried at the store would actually fit.

Outside of that, I've been able to get pairs of KSM44 and 414 on one of Shure's A27m, which is a very versatile mount. It's a little wierd for blumlein, since instead of mounting them vertically, you kinda mount them as you would a pair of small diaphragm mics in XY. I'll use it with my large diaphragm mics when I have to, but I prefer the AEA mounts.

Good luck!
Old 7th September 2004
Lives for gear

another big thumbs up for the Shure A27m. I only have used my for XY stereo, but for that use, I think its the best mount available at any price.
Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

I've been looking a building a custom Jecklin set-up for my Manley Golds- seems like I better take another look at the AEA page.
Old 16th September 2004
Gear Head

Okay, answering my own question. :-)

Forgot about the Sabra-Som stuff. I can get the hex bar in longer lengths and just buy the sliding mounts, and stand attachment. Not as nice as the AEA stuff, but it will at least be something for now until i can afford Wes Dooley's products.

Thanks guys,
Daniel
Old 16th September 2004
Lives for gear

OK, I'm gonna take a dangerous position here......

I've already said that the AEA stuff is top quality, but sometimes you can do better pricewise with DIY

Now I'm going to go the other way by saying that the Sabra stuff didn't make me want to part with any cash - too "plasticky". I guess that the Shure A27m gets my vote for the best bang for the buck - heavy metal construction and very reasonably priced. In any event, I've settled on a combination of AEA and DIY parts and I'd rather put any money towards that stuff rather than buy something that I will want to replace down the road.

But other guys are perfectly happy with Sabra products, go figure.....
Old 16th September 2004
Gear Nut

On-stage stands have some mic mounts that you can clamp onto a mic stand, or any other bar that size. Metal construction and not too expensive. (MY-550) Or they also have a posi-lok boom arm that clamps on. (msa-9508)

I don't know if that is really what you are looking for, but maybe its helpful.
Old 16th September 2004
Lives for gear

I think it's really cool that AEA makes an adapter from standard mic-stand thread to 1/2" male pipe thread! You can weld your own thing together- way too cool.

Still at a loss to find some parts to put together my DIY Jecklin disc with- any leads? Just the little mic holding parts and that?
Old 3rd October 2004
Lives for gear

Just through I'd put in my thumbs down for the Sabra-som stuff. If you've got heavy mic's (or if you like your stuff sturdy) don't buy the sabra-som stereo mount (ST-2). While it can certainly be adjusted to accomodate just about any mic positioning, it isn't sturdy enough and, as one person mentioned, is definitely a bit plastikky.

Douglas.
Old 4th October 2004
Lives for gear

I have the Sabra Som ST-4 and have used it to MS and Blumlein with SP C3 mics. The pivot did recently fail, but with a little creative mic positioning I have been able to find arrangements that let me locate the pivot so it does not carry an overhung load. With that setup it works fine - for a $40 T-Bar.

I am also a (former) machinist and a mechanical engineer - I think the pivot is the only real weakness in the Sabra design. If you want to DIY something, buy the Sabra T-bar and make your own quality pivot that ties into one of the 3/8 threaded studs on their mic mounts.
Old 5th October 2004
Here for the gear

I grabbed a Shure Vert Bar from Cascade Media a few weeks ago. Good store and prices....

http://www.cascademedia.net/products...133&prodid=998

hope this helps...

Matt
Old 21st October 2004
Gear Head

The OSS MY-700 is a new stereo / multimic holder that offers a lot of flexibility at an attractive price.

See it at http://atscomms.com/Line_Card/Multi-...c_holders.html

There is also an interesting mounting system that allows the use of 1/4" or 1/2" pipe and nearly any clamp and mic mount.
You can see some of it at http://ATSComms.com/Grip
Old 25th October 2004
Here for the gear

I like the AEA stuff, but it is pricey.

On the link below is a couple PDF files that show how to build a DIY Jecklin Disk:

http://homepage.mac.com/tonejunkie/FileSharing6.html

This was done by a guy named Floris Van Manen, and was posted about a year ago on the (Metric Halo) MobileIO forum. I hope Floris doesn't mind me posting these links.

It is made of nothing fancy. He used Earthworks mics. Should work with any pencil-type mic. You might want to beef this up a bit to hang Manley Golds on it ;-)

paul

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search