The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Worst Live show you've seen? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 30th March 2009
Lives for gear

I haven't seen too many major bands that have sucked. Played in and heard quite a few horrible club bands in the past. The worst I have heard recently were two live broadcasts on KCRW. One was Danger Mouse with Gnarls Barkley the other was The Black Keys, and last but not least, a horrible live performance by the White Stripes live on some TV show
All were very disappointing,amateurish and Gawd Awful!
I expected alot more, because I liked the recordings.
Old 30th March 2009
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoner View Post
I've recorded them live, and sadly, I can't disagree with you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen View Post
I mixed an early club date before they hit the bigtime, and they couldn't play together to save their lives. I totally don't get the hype. Weird.

A few years back I recorded and produced them in a "in studio" live video shoot.
I played back the tracks for their manager et al.
I thought we should have done another take.
He said, "why?"
I said, "I think we need to get a better take."
He said something to the affect, "this is how they sound; it's perfectly fine - no need for another take."

Hey, music is not what it used to be -- it's more about the visual I'm afraid.
Old 30th March 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
Verruca Salt on SNL.
Oh man did that suck.

I was a huge fan and had seen them flat out rock live, but I sat there stunned thinking ...this is the end.

And it was.
You are correct bitman, that was the beginning of the end. I mixed them live for years, as well as that SNL show. To be honest, I don't remember their performance too well, I was just thrilled to be in that engineer's chair that night.

-MC
Old 31st March 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indrestudios View Post
You are correct bitman, that was the beginning of the end. I mixed them live for years, as well as that SNL show. To be honest, I don't remember their performance too well, I was just thrilled to be in that engineer's chair that night.

-MC
Hey Michael,
Congrats on the excellent Mix magazine write up!
Keep up the good work!
-GD
Old 3rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlack View Post
Honorable Mention Dio. $80 tickets in a club. Horrible sound, Vinny Appices drumming was crap and Im not sure he kept a straight beat all night. We were 5 ft from the stage and Im thinking this is so cool. 25 minutes in Im thinking cant he just play The Last In Line so I can leave.
I saw him with Sabbath/Heaven & Hell a couple years ago and from an execution standpoint, it was one of the best I've ever seen. The music is kind of slow & boring to sit through for 70+ minutes, but the band was tight and the audio fidelity was absolutely stunning.

Quote:
Slightly off topic, but I have never heard a good sounding concert using a line array system.
See above. Meyer Milo system.

-Dan.
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

Cat Power on her australian tour a few years ago.
i was mixing monitors for her and i gotta say ive never seen a more wasted proformer. she was rolling around on stage pissed, mumbling "**** the police" into a mic, occasionally pllaying the piano.... poorly

i got to say, it really was music to slit your wrists to. i never understood why emo's were so depressed untill i heard her
Old 5th April 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvatar View Post
I saw him with Sabbath/Heaven & Hell a couple years ago and from an execution standpoint, it was one of the best I've ever seen. The music is kind of slow & boring to sit through for 70+ minutes, but the band was tight and the audio fidelity was absolutely stunning.

-Dan.
My cousin said the same thing about Heaven and Hell. Great sound but boring. His Girlfriend fell a sleep. lol.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Maniac

HAVE YOU ALL BEAT....

I had to accompany my Nephews to last year's American Idol tour... Just one show in Hartford, CT... It was a ****ing joke... SERIOUSLY...

The whole thing was a giant commercial (of course)... They even had an intermission in the middle where they plugged Guitar Hero III for like 30 minutes... Even had a competition on stage... I **** you not.

It was embarrassing.

Everyone was pretty terrible... I laughed when David Cook came out, because he was fat and trying to squeeze into jeans that most teenage girls couldn't fit into... Then he hopped around like he was a ****ing rock star... What a joke the whole thing was.

on the flip side... Best show I have ever seen was Radiohead last year at the All Points West Festival. However the festival ranks as the worst festival I have ever been to... lol... a limit to 5 beers... no onsite parking... no camping... takes like 2-3 hours to get there from the ferry site (due to lines), and even longer to leave... But a beautiful setting I must say.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I've played in some of the worst live shows I've ever seen!

very honest thumbsup
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

I worked the stage at a county fair a few years ago with the usually lineup of local community group demonstrations during the day and mediocre cover bands at night. Amidst the karaoke contests, karate demonstrations, and plus-sized belly dancers was one new age meditation group that got on stage and talked about how humming this one note brings them inner peace, then proceeded to give a demonstration of how to hum... one note... for several... minutes...

-Dan.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Addict

Probably Jet.
Terrible playing, timing, and singing was hit or miss in spots.

The White Stripes and Back Keys are some of the better shows I've seen incidentally.
Old 16th April 2009
Gear Head

George Clinton around 2004/2005 in Amsterdam.
They played for more then 3 hours and we left after 30 minutes. I suppose you had to be on drugs to endure the concert just like the musicians....
Old 19th April 2009
Here for the gear

Johnny Winter

Having seen him kill many times, I was excited to see him in a really small club. Tix were $125... they rolled him in on some sort of dolly and he played very poorly and very LOUD. So disappointing. He is pretty old and sickly so I give him that but $125 per ticket??? On the other hand I've seen Allan Holdsworth and Buddy guy (separately of course!) in the same club and those shows were amazing. I chatted with Holdsworth and even helped him carry his gear.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search