The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Worst Live show you've seen? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 26th January 2009
Here for the gear

yeah.. dylan blew it here too. I wasn't there but heard about it for weeks.

worst band -> death cab for cutie = absolutely horrible. I wanted to commit suicide..(opened for NEIL YOUNG recently, who was amazing and apparently chose his openers)

I actually sent death cab an email telling them how disgusted I was.

I bet they didn't read it..

....and I WISH I COULD HAVE SEEN HENDRIX LIVE, stoned or not!
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Worst band?

Two come to mind.

The Stones at Altamont. Worst live show ever..and we opened for Them (Van Morrison's band) in 1965...he played the entire show with his back to the audience.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Back in the day, my girlfriend made me take her to see Men at Work. Can you say BORING? Ugh.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I suppose Stone Roses at Reading Festival ranks up there... the singing was awful. Fans cried..! I laughed and did dog howl impersonations on my way back to the hospitality area along with everybody else in the industry.... It was a classic, famed bad gig.. And they were the HEADLINERS!

I've read much about this show.
On the 2nd Coming tour I had free tickets & gave them away. I did not want to see the band I loved suck. I don't regret it even a little.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaw View Post
Back in the day, my girlfriend made me take her to see Men at Work. Can you say BORING? Ugh.
Ha!
I'd rather watch contruction men at work.
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Nut

Sade at Jones Beach, I think early 90's?...don't know what I was thinking, maybe girlfriend-du-jour insisted...fell asleep...for real! I was pretty wasted.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Widespread Panic. I went with some friends who were fans and ended up falling asleep. I remember waking up thinking, "They're STILL playing this song!?" Worst performance was The Strokes in Madrid when they were at their peek. It had all the excitement of 5 guys on stage listening to the album.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Primus December 1993 at the Cow Palace.
Old 1st February 2009
Longest most boring Concert - World Saxophone concert Oberlin College's Finney Chapel. This group is very avant guarde but too much even for this college which prides itself on being very PC and very out there. Concert starts off with a full house. Three hours later there is only the tech crew present. Worst playing of the Saxophone I have ever heard. At intermission there was a rush for the doors. The place seats about 1200 and after intermission there were only about 80 people left.

Most destructive concert - 9 April 1983- Oberlin College - Finney Chapel. The chapel had just under gone a major renovation, the first concert after the renovation was English Beat and REM. After the concert there were 83 cigarette burns in the new carpeting (non smoking venue), the bathrooms were trashed, there were stains on the carpeting in both dressing rooms that were impossible to remove and the carpeting had to be replaced. Some pews were damaged and the whole place was trashed.

Most upsetting concert - Ward Swingle and the Swingle singers. The less said about this concert the better.

Worst concert sound. Blossom Music Center, Gordon Lightfoot. June 16th 1977 The sound was so overpowering that I had to stick tissue paper in my ears to stop the bleeding. I have never heard such bad sound in all my life. The engineer decided that everything had to be SUPER LOUD and did his darnedest to make sure the sound was distorted and over done and he had the midrange eq cranked up so much it made Gordon's voice sound like sandpaper and his guitar sounded like it was full of paper clips. People in the pavilion, myself included, moved out to the lawn to get away from the overpowering sound in the pavilion. I cannot play one of his CDs today without wincing.

On the other side of the coin - One of the BEST - The Grateful Dead, Halloween concert at Radio City Music Hall October 31, 1980 was one of the best concerts I have ever seen/heard. A close friend was the stage manager for the venue and I got a VIP pass. It was an amazing concert and the only bummer was that the night before someone, high on acid, had decided that he was a bird and took a dive off the balcony and hit the floor of Radio City with a bone crunching jolt that literally broke almost every bone in his body and we were shown where he hit on a tour of the facility.
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

I think that we tend to define 'worst show' as 'biggest disappointement with artists we normally love' because the actual worst show anbody of us have seen would be some band/artist in a bar where you don't think twice about leaving the premises after a song or two or an artist we don't care for and therefore are not as emotinally attached, say at an open air festival.

So in that sense I also have to mention Dylan:

- Saw him in the 80ies with Mick Taylor and Ian McLagan in the band doing a big stadium show here. They didn't even end some songs at the same time, absolutely horrible!

- I also need to mention Buddy Guy. He's a genius but it's well-known that his shows are totally hit and miss. The first time I saw him (early 90ies) it was AWFUL, the worst part being that the Swiss audience still loved every minute of it despite a completely lacklustre performance with Buddy just 'phoning it in'.

To their credit, both Dylan and Guy really delivered the goods when I saw them many years later......

Best shows:

- Page/Plant on the 'Walking into Clarksdale' tour. I didn't expect much only to be TOTALLY blown away by an incredible show where they did all the Zeppelin classics. I still get goosebumps just thinking about that gig.

- Steve Marriott at a small club a few years before he did. Obviously he was sick of the music business and pretty run down but he played a 60 minute show (no encore) like his life depended on it. Stunning. Also one of the loudest gigs I've ever experienced.
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Addict

Boring Counting Crows. OMFG half the crowd was dozing. I was mainly going to metal shows then and had friends that were coming from quite a ways to see them so reluctantly decided to go. We all left 30 minutes in.

Also boring but it kills me to this day to say it was Soundgarden. Love their albums, hate em live.

Also also boring was Smashing Pumpkins. Too cool for the crowd.

Worst. Jethro Tull mid 90's. Andersons voice is toast. Expensive freaking tickets as well.

Honorable Mention Dio. $80 tickets in a club. Horrible sound, Vinny Appices drumming was crap and Im not sure he kept a straight beat all night. We were 5 ft from the stage and Im thinking this is so cool. 25 minutes in Im thinking cant he just play The Last In Line so I can leave.
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreeek View Post
yeah.. dylan blew it here too. I wasn't there but heard about it for weeks.

worst band -> death cab for cutie = absolutely horrible. I wanted to commit suicide..(opened for NEIL YOUNG recently, who was amazing and apparently chose his openers)

I actually sent death cab an email telling them how disgusted I was.

I bet they didn't read it..

....and I WISH I COULD HAVE SEEN HENDRIX LIVE, stoned or not!
Death Cab, "horrible"? Really? I've seen them three times and I left thinking their albums don't do them justice. They are so amazing live!
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

Worst:
Ryan Adams.......He was so drunk he fell off the stage.

Oasis.....Half the band left in the middle of the show after a fight.

I have seen some purely unbearable indie shows. One notable on comes to mind: A death metal dude playing a solo show with his guitar running though a stompbox straight into the PA with a drum machine attached. His mic fedback the entire time and no one seemed to notice. It was that bad. Just this howl of screaming, feedback, and drummachine blast beats! dfegadSociety!
Old 5th February 2009
Here for the gear

the band Cake was pretty terrible live.
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Nut

Not the worst show but....

Slightly off topic, but I have never heard a good sounding concert using a line array system. The closest fair sounding array system was Genesis and that was outdoors. No cost spared P.A. Great band, accomplished engineers and easy to mix outdoor acoustics and it was just OK.

I have heard great sound with virtually every type of system from the old S4's of 40 years ago to JBL4560's (ELP) to traps to compression systems to integrated Meyers rigs but, never a line array.
HOW COME? This is the latest technology?
Old 8th February 2009
Gear Addict

Dare I say it, but the Allman Brothers.

I've never been more bored in my life. They really had an off night because the improvisation was terrible and the songs kept going on and on without going anywhere... I started off as a guitar player, but I was ready to gouge out my eyes with a plastic spoon by the 3rd song in the set. The only way I could have survived the entire set is if I was on drugs, but alas, I wasn't drunk and I don't do drugs so I was miserable.
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

Verruca Salt on SNL.
Oh man did that suck.

I was a huge fan and had seen them flat out rock live, but I sat there stunned thinking ...this is the end.

And it was.
Old 8th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanS311 View Post
the band Cake was pretty terrible live.
Once in their peak and once couple years later. Horrible both times.
Old 27th March 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesandteles View Post
Death Cab, "horrible"? Really? I've seen them three times and I left thinking their albums don't do them justice. They are so amazing live!

Never listened to them before in my life. Never want to again! I'll put it to you this way.. they were by far, ****tier than half of the bands in winnipeg that play on a weekly basis in empty bars to their parents. I honestly don't know how they got where they are. I'm not hatin'.. I just don't see it! (or hear it for that matter) Everything was just drenched in verb.
Old 27th March 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadersmakmeHappy View Post
Worst:
Ryan Adams.......He was so drunk he fell off the stage.

Oasis.....Half the band left in the middle of the show after a fight.

I have seen some purely unbearable indie shows. One notable on comes to mind: A death metal dude playing a solo show with his guitar running though a stompbox straight into the PA with a drum machine attached. His mic fedback the entire time and no one seemed to notice. It was that bad. Just this howl of screaming, feedback, and drummachine blast beats! dfegadSociety!

That is just wrong. I have multiple side projects where it's just me and a drum computer and I would NEVER do a show. That's just lame. It's lame enough as it is using a drum computer.. but I do it to create blast beats and fills that no one could possibly play heh
Old 27th March 2009
Gear Addict

Awesome, I love reading about ****ty live shows much more than I do attending them. For me the worst was System of a Down in Winnipeg. It was the most unenthused performance I've ever seen by a LONG shot.

Come on you dicks, if you want to earn your fame, fortune and groupies, you MUST either have fun doing it, or do the gruelingly hellish task of pretending that you're having fun doing it; THAT is your PRICE!

Singer was a zombie; bassist defied all stereotype by not having an ounce of funk in his being; the drummer was only moving out of necessity; the only one even attempting to give the appearance of having a mediocre time was the guitarist, and if I recall he was the only one who addressed the crowd too. Pathetic. Plus I paid good coin and made a weekend road trip to see these guys! Blech. I can honestly say I haven't listened to a single song of theirs since then.
Old 28th March 2009
Lives for gear

Al Green - tons of Gatorade breaks - live - onstage
Old 29th March 2009
Gear Addict

Van Halen at Jones Beach in the mid 90's. I forget what album they were touring in support of at the time...whatever the last one they made with Hagar was called, before he left/got booted. I was given tickets to this one, and we left before the midway point.
Bland, boring and homogenized...bad songs with all kinds of canned, sappy keyboard parts coming from nowhere. Just awful, especially considering how great their live shows were in their prime.
Luckilly, the opening act (Our Lady Peace) was pretty damn good, so it wasn't a total loss.
Old 29th March 2009
Gear Maniac

VanHalen in Montreal - latest tour with Dave. The best seats I've ever had for a concert. (probably got spit on while Dave was singing ) Pretty awesome to see Eddie play guitar up close. -Not to mention the chubby , zit faced Wolfie too.
THE worst sounding concert ever. The live sound engineer should have done time !!!

Saw the 5150 tour with Sammy in Montreal as well. The sound AND the show kicked A$$. -- the only decent album WITH Sammy.
Old 29th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Radiohead.

Too much sequenced stuff made it like listening to a really ****ty album version. No movement from the bandmembers, and really generic stage show.

On the flipside, I can't stand coldplay's music, but their live show was significantly more interesting.
Wow. I've seen them (Radiohead) 4 times and was blown away. I guess you may have caught them on an off night.

I can understand why people mention Dylan's name. They're expecting to hear Dylan play the songs on his albums (with the same instruments). He's evolved to the keyboard and rarely plays guitar. He's literally been on tour for the last 40 years. I guess he gets bored and reworks his songs. I would too. I think his band is amazing. I saw him at the House of Blues in Dallas last year and it blew my mind. On the flipside, I saw Dylan in Tulsa and it SUCKED!!

Hands down, the worst show I have ever seen was Arcade Fire. I've never seen people get so overly into their violins. Crap to the 10th degree. Their back drop was pretty but they sucked balls.
Old 29th March 2009
Lives for gear

Sorry you didn't like Arcade Fire. Where and when did you see them? I thought it was one of the best live shows I've ever seen. This was last year (I think) right before the latest album came out at a church in NYC.
Old 29th March 2009
Here for the gear

I went to see my friend's band (Acceptance) play and the band before them was so annoying that I went outside after the first two songs to smoke for the rest of their set. The singer was terrible and the guitarist and bass player were too busy swinging their instruments around and "looking cool" to be able to play anything right. Worst band I've ever seen. Oh yeah, turns out they were a little (at the time) band called Fall Out Boy.

Haha. Apparently, there are millions of people who disagree with me. heh
Old 29th March 2009
Super Moderator

I'm not sure if they disagree -- I just think they don't care about it too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavan View Post
I went to see my friend's band (Acceptance) play and the band before them was so annoying that I went outside after the first two songs to smoke for the rest of their set. The singer was terrible and the guitarist and bass player were too busy swinging their instruments around and "looking cool" to be able to play anything right. Worst band I've ever seen. Oh yeah, turns out they were a little (at the time) band called Fall Out Boy.

Old 30th March 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavan View Post

I've recorded them live, and sadly, I can't disagree with you
Old 30th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoner View Post
I've recorded them live, and sadly, I can't disagree with you
I mixed an early club date before they hit the bigtime, and they couldn't play together to save their lives. I totally don't get the hype. Weird.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search