The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , , ,

Turtle Island String Quartet on Telarc (session photos, article)
Old 14th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Talking Turtle Island String Quartet on Telarc (session photos, article)

I was reading this press release, and began wondering which Turtle Island String Quartet Album this was. Also curious which of the microphones were eventually used in the final mix.

Perhaps Michael Bishop would have some insight into this?

Looks like a very interesting session! Check it out here:
AEA/Telarc Press release
Old 14th April 2008
Gear Addict

I'm pretty sure that recording was for their Coltrane release. That album has an interesting mix of sonic characteristics as you would likely expect given the mic list. Very enjoyable.
Old 14th April 2008
Lives for gear

That is an old release; almost two years old. Interesting, though. I wonder if the setup could have been done more simply. But that shows how much I know.
Old 14th April 2008
Lives for gear

my gob - scott dorsey would have a heart attack looking that mic setup. looks like an engineer who simply could not make up his mind, and decided to use the shotgun approach.
Old 14th April 2008
Gear Addict

This was an SACD release with surround so the number of mics comes somewhat into play due to the dual release format (SACD surround and CD Audio).

Forgetting about how it looks, what do you think of how it sounds?
Old 15th April 2008
Gear Nut

I still want to hear something about these pres, Upstate Audio Preamp. I have done google searches and gs searches and always end up back on the 2 AEA articles. Does anybody know anything about them? Curiosity is killing me.
Old 15th April 2008
Gear Addict

Hi All,

Re: The TISQ session. This was for "A Love Supreme" which I recorded at Skywalker Sound in 2006. Yes, the mic setup looks complicated. What you're looking at are microphones for the direct-to-stereo recording and microphones for two different direct-to-6 channel surround recordings. I wanted the option of two surround approaches: quartet across the front channels w/ambience to the rears OR completely immersive surround with the quartet around the listener. I didn't want to be mixing this after the fact as I prefer direct-to-DSD recording. I used a 16-track Sonoma DSD workstation and still had two tracks left open!

What complicated the setup a bit was how I would get the proper imaging for each of the three soundfields I wanted to achieve and still get the right amount of direct-to-indirect sound (I didn't use any artificial reverb). I also wanted the keep the group close together and they preferred to be in a circle rather than a half-circle arrangement. Additionally, the cellist pops in an amplifier for the pizzicato "acoustic bass" parts he plays when required.

Re: the Upstate Audio Preamps - I rarely record without them. Here's their web site, but the preamps will not be on the market until later this year.

Preserve Your Trusted Sound

Old 16th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBishopSFX View Post
This was for "A Love Supreme" which I recorded at Skywalker Sound in 2006.
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a copy of the CD, and I'm looking forward to checking it out!

Do you recall which microphones were used for each mix?
Old 16th April 2008
Lives for gear

Mike, thanks for explaining the wild setup. I sure did not understand while all the mics were there. It makes sense now.
Old 16th April 2008
Lives for gear

Cool! Can't wait to hear it. Thanks for posting.
I thought the SCM 20 & 50 is made by ATC, not B&W?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search