The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , ,

Is this a bad time to buy a new wireless system?
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

Question Is this a bad time to buy a new wireless system?

Hey all,

I am submitting capital purchase requests for work and I see a big need for the Sennheiser EW501P-G2 System which I have used in the past and would fill a void in our gear list. They operate in the 518-554, 626-662, 740-776, 786-822, 830-866MHz range. My question to you is: Is this a bad time to buy a new wireless system given the war for the airwaves. Do you think that these systems will be useable in the future? Should we hold off for a while even though we could really use this? Is there any system that is truly future proof that has the ability to work with any mic (condensers included) that sounds decent?

Thanks!

Cameron
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

How many systems are you looking at purchasing? If you only need one and it's going to make you money then I would say go for it. I plan on buying 8 units but not until after the smoke has cleared.
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

We need 2-4 channels. Which are you looking into? We currently have 4 others that we all fight over.
Old 10th April 2008
Gear Guru

Smile

It should not be a problem.

All Sennehiser G2 systems can easily be converted from one frequency range to another - Senneheiser UK (of Sennheiser USA) can easily do it.

It involves replacing the RF board in the transmitter and receiver, re-aligning and reprogramming the e-prom with the new frequencies.

In the UK this costs about £200 a system.

So - if the worst come sto the worst - you should be able to change it all to new frequencies.
Old 10th April 2008
cbarrett92
Wait a while and save some money. What's wrong with wired mics?
Old 10th April 2008
Lives for gear

:
Quote:
Wait a while and save some money. What's wrong with wired mics
If we could use wired mics of course we would as they are always preferred sonically.

Thanks john on the Sennheiser upgrade info.
Old 11th April 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roonsbane View Post
Hey all,
Is there any system that is truly future proof that has the ability to work with any mic (condensers included) that sounds decent?
Zaxcom makes Wireless Digital Systems supporting lavs (TRX-900) & stereo condenser mics (TRX-990)... They also have recording options available with timecode (STA-100) with various sample rates & bit depths. They also claim Zaxcom's wireless systems rivals hard wired setups.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a bad time to buy a new wireless system?-zaxcom_eng_wireless.jpg  
Old 11th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Zaxcom makes Wireless Digital Systems supporting lavs (TRX-900) & stereo condenser mics (TRX-990)... They also have recording options available with timecode (STA-100) with various sample rates & bit depths. They also claim Zaxcom's wireless systems rivals hard wired setups.
And what makes these future proof in terms of the wireless frequency spectrum which seems to be the biggest issue? When the government takes back those frequency spectrums (or re-allocates them as planed), what will make this unit different than any other wireless system?
The sennheiser system already does power condensers and they do sound as good as any wireless system I have used. I have always wanted to compare the zaxcom though I have never seen anyone actually use one.
Old 11th April 2008
Lives for gear

There were 50 Zaxcom units on Radio City Xmas Spectacular that had spectacular problems, yet to be resolved. Really fun issues included bad intermodulation, packs overheating- burning the talent! I think Sennheisser, Shure, or Lectrosonics are much safer manufacturers right now!!!

JvB
Old 12th April 2008
Super Moderator

Sennheiser wireless systems are pretty much the standard in TV reality shows.
Most if not all TV Reality shows use Sennheiser wireless products.

I'm with JvB -- The Sennheiser, Lectrosonics and Shure systems are all quality devices that have a proven track record.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search