The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Best Live Show You've Ever Witnessed? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th December 2004
Gear Addict

Geeesh... I can't believe I forgot...

Brian Wilson preforming Pet Sounds with a fantastic band (The Wondermints) and the LA Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl. My wife said, "The BEACH BOYS?" before and "My God, I had no idea", after. Truly an inspiring show.

God only knows where I'd be with out you...
Old 7th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Lunde
Bob Marley and the Wailers early 70's?? (just sold Ziggy some ATC's-YA baby!)

Lucky Man !

Bob Marley goes on the list along with Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and many more as people who died to soon before I could go see them.
Old 7th December 2004
Gear Nut

In no particular order:

Judas Priest on the Point of Entry tour. That opening synth part of Solar Angels was absolutely brain frying.

Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest at the Stanley Theatre in Pittsburgh in 79 or 80. Can't remember. Priest's British Steel tour.

KISS in 78 or 79. - laugh if you want, they put on a great show.

Hybrid Ice at the Engine Room in Altoona Pa. One of the best bands ever. They did Bohemian Rapsody live, complete with the acapella parts. (Queen used to play the record).

Brian Setzer Orchestra at the Merriweather Post Pavillion near Baltimore. Dude kicks ass with the big band.

Pink Floyd at Three Rivers Stadium. It was sooo cool, I think.

Old 16th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Prince and the Power Generation
Lovesexy Tour
Paris july 1988 POPB (1rst date of the Tour)

INCREDIBLE SHOW INCREDIBLE LIGHT SHOW.
I never saw an artist using lights as he did !
It was absolutely stunning !
The stage was round and there was a bed and a basket playground on.
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Therapy? at Paradiso Amsterdam, 1994, Sepultura, Melkweg Amsterdam 1994, Radiohead at several gigs, Peter Gabriel, Amsterdam 2007, Lenny Kravitz, Nijmegen Holland, 2008
Old 17th October 2008
Gear Addict

KISS 1985 in Lethbridge, Alberta (Queensryche opening). Hey I was 12 and had my mind blown

Metallica Justice tour- Saddledome, Calgary, AB- 89% longhairs and leather jackets, First real metal show. Life was never the same for me after.

Paul Simon - 1990 I think- Calgary Saddledome- What a show, amazing musicians, everyone singing along to every song. Amazing!

NIN Downward Spiral tour- PNE Forum- Vancouver, BC- Want to use up every emotion watching a concert? Wow

Pink Floyd, Stones, Tool, Strapping Young Lad a dozen times, Pantera, Slayer, White Zombie all multiple times. The last Green Day show.

Way too many shows!!
Old 17th October 2008
This year:

Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers at Circus Mexicus last weekend.

48 songs, over 4 hours under the Mexican moon, plus fireworks and more Tecate than you could shake a stick at.

A magic night and a great performance.
Old 17th October 2008
Gear Addict

For big rock shows:
Peter Gabriel - So tour...Amazing voice, band, and presentation (with guys in black ninja suits controlling the lighting rigs, which interacted with Peter and the band)....he made a 20K seat arena seem as intimate as a small club.
Honorable mentions:
Tool
Roger Waters @ Radio City (in surround)
Jane's Addiction

For Jazz:
These all completely blew me away:
Jim Hall @ Sweet Basil
Pat Metheny @ Birdland
Michael Brecker @ IMAC
Wayne Shorter @ IMAC
Old 17th October 2008
Here for the gear

Roy Hargrove Quintet, at Scullers, a couple weeks back. They came on and blew the lid off the place for an hour, then left.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

I've seen a lot of great shows over the years, but I guess the first show I ever saw still holds the title of best ever. I was 15 and it was Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road tour at the Forum in LA. My jaw was on the floor the whole time. The band was TIGHT, Elton was at the peak of his game, and the crowd pushed them to new heights. It's the closest thing I've ever had to a truly religious experience.

On a tangent, the late Dee Murry, Elton's bass player during those years, deserves a LOT more credit than he ever got. Just put on some of those tunes and listen to what he brought to the groove. He played some amazingly melodic and soulful lines.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 17th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Who, what, when, where was the best live performance you've ever been at?

Genre doesn't matter. Year doesn't matter. Venue doesn't matter, etc.

Why did the show whoop on your soul so hard?

I saw Stanley Jordan perform about 12 years ago. He had one guitar on a stand that he played chords and rhythm accompaniment and wore the lead guitar. There was a backing band cosisting of standup bass and drums, but they didn't need to be there, and they looked it. I have never heard anything like this done on guitar. He did a version of "Elenor Rigby" that seemed like it was imported straight from a habitable, undiscovered planet where music was developed by altogether different means. The song was still recognizable, but it was something completely different.

My friend and I left that show in utter disbelief of what we had just witnessed. This might all sound a little dramatic, but I'm reflecting on the experience shared by the whole audience. It was one of the two most astounding musical performances I've ever had in my life. The other was Zakir Hussain with Ravi Shankar and other equally proficient accompanists on harmonium and clay drum. I didn't go there expecting to weep at the beauty of it, but I did. The Stanley Jordan show was less spiritual, but still mind numbing.
I also saw him around 1992 at the Strand in Hermosa Beach, CA. I brought in my "bootlegger" recording system consisting of a Aiwa mini DAT machine, a portable battery powered version of my mini mic pre cards and a couple of Shure SM-91's taped to a black Raiders cap. I got the best seat in the house and got a great recording of the show. He's something else to watch.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 17th October 2008
Mahavisnu Orchestra, Whiskey-a-go-go, 1972. I sat right above the stage on the left side, I could feel the impact of Billy Cobham's drums, he hit them so hard.

Nothing I've ever seen had the energy, impact and shear speed and terror of this group. Truely intimidating for any musician to watch. I didn't pick up a guitar for a week afterwards... I've not seen anything so intense since.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 17th October 2008
ksr
Here for the gear

Wow, many of you must have really amazing experiences due to time and the place you live. Especially those who experienced 70´. Wonderful time for music.

Last summer I was at Pohoda festival in Slovakia and where Hiromi Uehara had her show and that was absolutely brilliant. Maybe the best performance I could ever seen "live". In addition, I had come across her existence just about 14 days before her gig by chance so I must not have missed it!
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

some of the most memorable...

pink floyd wall tour, nassau coliseum '80
the tubes first tour, bottom line, nyc '76
peter gabriel, palladium, nyc, '82 (?)
david bowie, radio city, nyc, valentine's day, '72
nin, msg, '94
cream, msg, '69
hendrix, msg, '69
blind faith, msg, '70
zappa, fillmore east, '70
every show king crimson (fripp, bruford, wetton, cross) played in nyc '73-74 (six, i think), including the last one of that band, central park '74
genesis w/gabriel (selling england tour), felt forum, nyc '74

beatles, shea stadium, both years '65 & '66

Last edited by Denny McNerney; 17th October 2008 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: detail
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Most enjoyable show, hands down:

Talking Heads, Minneapolis, 1981

Other great shows:

Lynyrd Skynyrd, 1976
Led Zeppelin, 1977
Peter Frampton, 1977
Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps" show, 1979
Robyn Hitchcock (always a treat)
Beck, 2 weeks ago
Old 17th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Seeing Iron Maiden this past summer was incredible. Those guys can still kick serious arse.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

top 11

Wow so many of you guys saw some legends in their prime! David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Captain Beefheart, Hendrix...F'n amazing.

My top 11....
Marc Almond 1989 Celebrity Theater, Los Angeles
Morrissey (w/guest David Bowie) 1991 Great Western Forum, Los Angeles
Ride + Slowdive 1992 Palace, Los Angeles
My Bloody Valentine 1992 Roxy, Los Angeles
Gil Scott Heron 1994 Troubador, Los Angeles
Autechre 1995 Troubador, Los Angeles
Kraftwerk 1997 Luton Hoo, UK
Tom Waits 1999 Paramount Theater, Oakland
Derek Bailey & James Blood Ulmer 2000 Tonic, NYC
Patti Smith 2005 Bowery Ballroom, NYC
Spiritualized 2008 Apollo Theater, NYC

Some honorable mentions....

Psychic TV @ The Casa LA 1991
The Residents @ The Fillmore SF , 1996
Billy Higgins & Charles Gayle duo, SF 1997
Cecil Taylor & Tony Oxley duo , Tonic NYC 2000
Love w/Arthur Lee plus strings performing Forever Changes album @ Town Hall , NYC 2003
Cat Power (solo) @ Tonic, NYC 2003

Mentionable Rated-PG post show activities I randomly found myself at.....
-Drinking champage with Elvin and Keiko Jones at a private table listening to Keiko talk smack on Alice Coltrane while Elvin chain smoked cigars.
-Hanging with Ian Copeland on his terrace after the Ride/Slowdive show having a hell of a laugh at Creation Record's Alan Mcgee's funny gurn-faces from his consumption of far too many hits of ecstasy.
-Having a very surreal dinner at Mr.Chow with Laurie Anderson, Lou Reed, band plus Julien Schnabel & a wasted Donna Karan.
Old 18th October 2008
Lives for gear

Hmmm. There were some great shows. Some, of course, are a bit obscured by the haze of recreational pharmaceuticals from that era (I hope I get the dates right), but:

Janis Joplin - Honolulu 1970
Jimi Hendrix - Honolulu 1970
Led Zeppelin - Honolulu 1971 (had to get the crowd quiet for a new song - Stairway to Heaven)
Jethro Tull - Madison 1972 (Thick as a Brick tour)
Frank Zappa - Honolulu 1973
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Oshkosh 1974
Fine Young Cannibals/UB-40 - Des Moines mid-80s
Frank Zappa - Des Moines - mid 80s
Elvis Costello - Des Moines - mid 80s (the Imperial Bedroom tour)
Emmylou Harris - Des Moines mid 80s
Steely Dan - Minneapolis 1993
Richard Thompson - Minneapolis 1999 at First Avenue (the Mock Tudor tour)
Prince - St. Paul 2004 (Musicology tour)
Multiple Grateful Dead tours over the entire period

I'm sure there are more if I think about it hard enuff, but these come to mind the quickest.
Old 18th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
King Crimson 1974 at the Schaeffer Music Festival in central park. It was the last show for that lineup Fripp, Bruford Wetton & Cross. Mahavishnu at Schaffer for the Between Nothingness & Eternity shows. Gentle Giant I think in 75.Peter Gabriel at Forest Hills God am I old. Gabriel at the garden was great this time around
i forgot about pg at forest hills. yes, that was wonderful.

also, the who at forest hills, the "who's next" tour.

and simon and garfunkel at forest hills, '68(?).

and the stones "exile" tour, maple leaf gardens, toronto, '72

that crimson show in central park is so burned in my memory...the red spots beaming into the audience at the end of "starless" was unforgettable. a friend of mine, who was chemically altered at the time, recently told me that moment tore a hole in the space/time continuum for him.

yep, i'm old too.
Old 18th October 2008
Gear Addict
Probably Radiohead on their OK Computer tour and I saw Souled American about 2 years ago in front of 80 people or so, that was a really intimate and cool show
Old 19th October 2008
Lives for gear

Bob Marley & The Wailers... 1978... Queen Elizabeth Theatre, Vancouver B.C.

This show totally blew my mind and was as close to a religious experience as I have ever gotten.

I saw them again about a year later in the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver, but it was not nearly as good... they had some lame disco act opening, and the sound was terrible for the whole night.
Old 20th October 2008
Gear Head

In no particular order:
The Who with Keith (Met Sports Center, Bloomington Mn) about 1970 or so.
The Who after Keith a few years later.
Tina Turner at 1st Avenue Minneapolis.
ELO at the Guthrie Theater, Minneapolis. Their first US tour. Had the strings along. Opening act was Chi Coltrane (great). The theater was a thrust stage and no one was much more than 50' away from the stage.
Yes at Minneapolis Armory. Two opening acts, Gentle Giant and an unknown act who introduced themselves by coming on stage and saying: "Hi, we're The Eagles, from LA".
Billy Joel (forgot the venue). Amazing energy.
Bee Gees (sorry). St. Paul Civic Center (I think). Great lights. I sat at the mix booth, but they wouldn't let me touch anything.
The Bobby Whitlock Band at a small club on LaSalle Street in Minneapolis. Maybe 50 people were there and they did a total rendition of the Layla album.
Prince (several times). The one that stands out was a "surprise" show at First Avenue where he did much of the Purple Rain stuff for the first time. I spent most of the night in the Record Plant (I think) mobile truck that he had hired for the event. He introduced Wendy for the first time that night.
Neil Diamond did a good show somewhere along the way also.
Brian Wilson at the CES Show 2007. I could have pulled him off the stool he used all night I was so close. Some pix here: brian_wilson Photo Gallery by Richard King at pbase.com This was in the Gibson Guitar tent and about 200 or so people were there.

I gave away two tickets to see this new, upcoming artist at the Guthrie Theater. I was very sick that night and couldn't go, so I gave the tickets to my date and she and a gf of hers went. The new artist went by the name of Bruce Springsteen.
So many more great shows that have slipped my mind.
Old 20th October 2008
Lives for gear

any show that happened at the fillmore east.

and the schaefer music festival, watching the stage, with the background of 59th street in the distance... "essex house" up there in the sky (you can see the same view if you have the inner sleeve of "selling england by the pound")... tickets $1 (in 1967) to $3 (in 1976). an incomplete list of the line ups is here:

Schaefer Music Festival - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the '60's and '70's were an amazing time for music.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Live Show You've Ever Witnessed?-cp5.jpg  
Old 20th October 2008
Lives for gear

the english beat 1982 - ontario theater, washington d.c.
talking heads 1982 - meriweather post pavilion
talking heads 1983 - meriweather post pavilion
the style council 1984 - nyc
tom waits 1987 - st. james theater nyc
fela kuti - 1988 - studio 54 space - nyc
sonny rollins - 1990 - carnegie hall
jeff buckley - 1992 - 1996 random mondays at sine
mary margaret o'hara - 1995 - fez - nyc
joni mitchell - 1995 - fez - nyc
jane siberry - 1996 - fez - nyc
the innocence mission - 2002 - fez, nyc
patti smith 2005 bowery ballroom, nyc (her birthday)
rufus wainwright and orchestra doing judy garland - february 2007 - london palladium
Old 20th October 2008
Lives for gear

Basement Jaxx in 2004!
Old 24th October 2008
Lives for gear

So many....

Nirvana 93' Springfield Mass
Broken Social Scene at Great American
Roy Haynes 80th Birthday Party
Metallica And Justice Tour (opened w/ Blackened)
Sonic Youth at the Roxy in Atlanta in 95'
Neil Young w/ the MG's in NC 2000
The Ramones in Agawam around 92'
Catherine Wheel at the Masquerade
2nd row solo Pete Townshend acoustic show
Pink Floyd
Old 24th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspartz View Post
- David Lee Roth (with Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan) LaCrosse Center - Eat'em and smile tour.
Hey, that was my first concert as well!! Cinderella opened.
Old 24th October 2008
The last King Crimson show at Central Park I think it was 1975. After that they disbanded until the 80's. Also the Mahavishnu Orchestra "Between Nothingness and Eternity" shows, they made the live album from those shows. Both of these had an intensity I've never seen again
Old 24th October 2008
Lives for gear

Supertramp on the Crisis, What Crisis? tour, Ford Auditorium (home of the Detroit Symphony), 1977?
U2 at Dooley's bar in East Lansing, MI, 1981
Steel Pulse also at Dooley's, 1981
REM on the Murmur tour, Royal Oak MI (1983?)
James Brown at Henry's Palace in Detroit (early 80s)
Emmylou Harris, David Byrne, Guy Clark, Rodney Crowell, Terry Allen at Terry Allen's house (and the next day at the Santa Fe Lensic), 2002
Max Rabbe und das Palast Orchester, Santa Fe Lensic, last Tuesday
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
The last King Crimson show at Central Park I think it was 1975. After that they disbanded until the 80's.
the last show for that king crimson was july 1, 1974 central park, nyc.

i was (am) fanatical about that band.

the band that was formed in 1981 was fripp, bruford, levin, and belew.

Last edited by Denny McNerney; 25th October 2008 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: i mispelled tony levin!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search