The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Best Live Show You've Ever Witnessed? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1st December 2004
Wilco - YHF tour in Montreal.
Old 1st December 2004
Gear Addict

I saw Johnny Winter just after Derringer left him. It was in support of Still Alive and Well. Actually Rick wrote the song Still Alive and Well. THAT was a great show. It was also my first show. I think I was 13. Brownsville Station opened. It was the Swing Auditorium in Riverside CA.

Rock and RRRRROOOOOOOLLLLLL! Yeaaaahhhh!
Old 1st December 2004
Lives for gear

Dr John and Santana...Fillmore west 1969

Keith Jarrett/Paul Motion/Dewy Redman/Charlie Hayden Atlanta late 80's

Traffic/John Martyn/Free WestPalmBeach...last gig of tour...all 3 onstage for 45 min jam...till they pulled the plug
Old 1st December 2004
Gear Addict

I forgot to mention the California Jam. It was held at the Ontario Speedway outside of Los Angeles. in the early 70's

I saw, all in one day...

Earth Wind and Fire
The Eagles
ELP
Deep Purple
Dave Mason
Black Oak Arkansas (yikes)
and more.

Plus... there were naked people on acid walking around. Now that's a memory. Everybody openly smoking pot. And me, 13 years old, a Catholic school boy with short hair, parted on the side, trying to somehow look cool.

I'll never forget that day.
Old 1st December 2004
Gear Nut

ok, let's see how the memory is working here:

King Crimson - Landmark Theater, Syracuse NY, 82? Amazing. Fripp was shredding, Belew was bopping, Levin was huge, Bruford playing those Simmons drums. Scary.

U2 - Cayuga Community College, NY, 83? War tour. Maybe 100 people there. Bono on top of the PA stack.

Police - MSG, NY - 80? Zenyatta Mondatta tour. Copeland broke his kick drum and Sting sang Yellow Rose of Texas after slagging off Genesis, saying they'd have gone of the stage of something like that happened.

Crowded House - Paradise, Boston, MA - 86. Right after the first record came out. I think they played a couple of songs twice. Excellent vocals, and Neil Finn can play guitar!

Bass Desires - Regatta Bar, Cambridge - 88? Frisell and Scofield. Erskine was amazing, I was sitting about 10 feet from him.

Jeff Beck w/ SRV opening - Worcester Centrum, MA - 87? Bozio on drums. Oh yeah, there were a couple of guitarists playing too.

Bears w/ Living Colour opening - Paradise, Boston, MA - 89? Living Colour left everyone's jaws on the floor.

Dada - Mama Kin, Boston, MA - 96. These guys can play.

Bowie - Roseland, NY - 02. Bowie's show for the release of Heathen. He played the entire album, then played all of Low, then did a four song encore. Mike Garson is a keyboard god, and Gail Ann Dorsey rocks on bass.

I'm sure there's more....
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear Head

Talking

I don't know if someone mentioned this earlier coz I don't have the time to read all 11 pages,but,
one name, and one name only

Mr

Tommy Emmanuel !!!

Don't even have the words to discribe the magic this guy is doing on live show's .
And he is COMPLETELY ALONE!!!!!!!!!
Unbelieveble......

Cheers,
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear Addict

Deftones - Stone Pony Asbury Park, NJ before their first album came out opening at a small show. I swear all of us punk rock kids were floored by their sound, it was like here comes some **** that blows away anything else tonight.

Tool _ Lateralus tour - Hamerstein Ballroom NYC, the day before that album came out. I wanted to quit singing after I heard Maynard that night, thinking I could never be that good.
Old 2nd December 2004
Lives for gear
The Vote for Change tour of:
Pearl Jam in Toledo Ohio, November 2004. Midway through after Pearl Jam rocking like mad. Unannounced Neil Young comes out and plays "Harvest Moon" with Eddie, then he comes out with the entire band (and Peter Frampton) goes into a 20 minute long version of All Along the Watchtower. Then go on to do "cortez the killer" a few others then end with "rockin in the free world". Grown men were crying and hugging each other. We couldn't believe what we had just seen. Beautiful, and all for a good cause.
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear Maniac

Beatles--Ed Sullivan show. I watched them from Heaven and then later on T.V.
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear Maniac
In the classical guitar realm...

Saw Andres Segovia at Chicago Orchestra Hall when I was 16

Have seen Manuel Barrueco several times

Saw Eduardo Fernandez in one of his first US solo concerts perform the the entire Villa Lobos 12 etudes for guitar in front of my eyes (jaw drop!!)

Saw Pepe Romero perform Rodrigo's Concierto Aranjuez in Chicago (evoked tears in the slow movt.)

Paul Odette on Renaissance Lute, and
Nigel North on Baroque Lute ...both world class players!!
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear Maniac

Helmet
Autria @ holzstock festival

must have been the "betty" tour, they were amazing.

Melvins

One of the sickest concert i´ve ever been.
every 5 minutes these guys disapeared behind a vurtain, saying "we´re right back in 5 minutes". they never made it back onstage under 20 minutes.

one guy in the audience had a banner, king buzzo took it, showed it to his bandmates and then to the audience.

"Give a message to Kurt" was written to it. (he was reffering to kurt cobain)

buzzo looked at the audience for ages, the he said "who the **** is kurt?"

well, when they actually played some music it blew me away, one wall of sound.

LTJ Bukem and MC Conrad.
a great DJ , a great MC, no need to say more

Nils Petter Molvear.

He had a concert at a very small venue.
Some say that he will be the new miles davis, however, they did great.
there were people having tears in the eyes after this concert.

unbelivable lightshow as well. on of the local technician was absolutely stunned. he said that theseguys had just a few lights, paper and whatever and made a lightshow he never could get done this way with his $$$ equipment.
Old 2nd December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by lesique
I don't know if someone mentioned this earlier coz I don't have the time to read all 11 pages,but,
one name, and one name only

Mr

Tommy Emmanuel !!!

Don't even have the words to discribe the magic this guy is doing on live show's .
And he is COMPLETELY ALONE!!!!!!!!!
Unbelieveble......

Cheers,
Nice one lesique, a friend of mine has been supporting him in the UK, you might like him, look up Johnny Dickinson if you get a chance the album is called castles and old kings.

Peace

DD
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear Maniac

sure 'nuff, i haven't seen most of the classic gigs that have been mentioned in this thread, but i'm surprised that that there was only one brief mention of jethro tull

seeing ian anderson, martin barre and the boys rock it out at the sydney entertainment centre in ?87, was the best live experience i ever had

that man (ian) is a true entertainer in the old-fashioned sense of the word, long may he live

best unauthorised rooftop gig: the pogues @ the arts factory in byron bay in ?88 (my first day in byron bay, and, having ingested some psychedelic mushrooms, we discover a way onto the roof of the venue, whereupon we can see right down onto the stage, and spit on the head of shane mcgowan, if so desired... ahh the vagaries of youth)

the most "pissed off because i missed it" gig:
cold chisel's last ever gig of the last stand tour, when they played for 3+ hours (i didn't go, 'coz i was a young refugee boy who had to study good, and who the hell, were these cold chisels, anyway)
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear Head

...damn...there are so many that realy ment something to me..here are a few
- NIN fragility tour , in Tilburg the Netherlands..great sound great visuals..after that i was hooked

-R.L. Burnside ..on some bluesfestival with his grandson on drums and his adopted son on guitar and him sitting the whole show on a chair

- a perfect circle the 13th step tour...damn even better than TOOL

-Deftones first time they came to Holland, chino screaming his ass of and diving from the Pa-system into the crowd

- dillinger escape plan with botch as opening act in Belgium..people hanging on bars on the sealing...******* awesome

-David Bowie reality tour, just blew me away

- Sophia, in Utrecht Holland...i broke down and just started crying so beautiful

-Shellac, neurosis and isis in San Fransisco...went straight from an 14 hour flight from amsterdam to the great american music hall and witnessed some good sh*t (...i wasn't even 21 at that time...hehehehe )

-Melvins with a extra guitar player, forgot his name.....loudest show ever...just beautiful
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear Addict

Buddy Rich's Big Band at Disneyland in '76.
Old 2nd December 2004
Here for the gear

Best shows I've been to in the last 5 years:

Radiohead-HTTT tour in WPB, seriously best FOH I've heard. They played off their ass that night.

Sunny Day Real Estate-How it Feels to be Something On tour
Club Firestone in Orlando. I walked out saying that was the most amazing show I'd ever seen.

Sunny Day Real Estate-same tour 2 months later same venue. Again walked out saying best I'd ever seen.

U2-AYCLB tour United Center in Chicago. Went straight from there to the top of the John Hancock tower and had drinks overlooking the city. Simply great night.

the Fire Theft- couple months ago in WPB. Amazing how Jeremy Enigk(lone vocalist) can sound like an entire choir.

Ours-Exit Inn Nashville-Agree Jimmy Gnecco's vocals are the best I've ever heard. Definitely sold his soul for Jeff Buckley and Freddie Mercury' s pipes.

Superdrag-12th and Porter- Jon Davis kick ass guitar tones and balls out southern rock.

Last but not least...the Knack.
Floored me 2 years ago in WPB free show at Sunfest. Using Zappa's old drummer(Bozzio?) Never seen anything like it. Started out playing to about 30 people and as they played people wandered over to see who the hell was kicking so much ass. No one could believe it was the Knack! Ended up being like 400 flabbergasted spectators.

I forgot-first show ever-Charlie Daniels Band opening for Alabama at River Ranch in Polk Co. Florida Very fun show even for a 7 year old!
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Conner

Last but not least...the Knack.
Floored me 2 years ago in WPB free show at Sunfest. Using Zappa's old drummer(Bozzio?) Never seen anything like it. Started out playing to about 30 people and as they played people wandered over to see who the hell was kicking so much ass. No one could believe it was the Knack! Ended up being like 400 flabbergasted spectators.
I guess it was Bozzio...who knew? Did he play the Black Page for a drum solo?
Attached Thumbnails
Best Live Show You've Ever Witnessed?-all_members.jpg  
Old 2nd December 2004
Here for the gear

No such luck...he was however one of the sickest live drummers I've seen. Reminded me a little like a human version of Animal from the muppets!!!
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Conner
No such luck...he was however one of the sickest live drummers I've seen. Reminded me a little like a human version of Animal from the muppets!!!
I agree. I saw him twice with Missing Persons and once with Jeff Beck...an amazing drummer to watch.
Old 2nd December 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by drummertom
I agree. I saw him twice with Missing Persons and once with Jeff Beck...an amazing drummer to watch.
He comes to a friend's lake parties and jams occasionally. Woooooohoooooo!!!!!!!!
Old 6th December 2004
Here for the gear

Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band.Pepperland.San Rafiel CA.1971.Lick My Decals Off, Baby tour... The most amazing show ever.Dedicated to Jimi by the Captain.2000 people levitated 30 feet into the air.....NOBODY has done anything like it before or since.Rockette Morton ,Drumbo and Ed Marimba"s solo for Bass and 2 drummers was truely MAGIC....
Old 6th December 2004
Lives for gear

Live show I wish I'd seen just once: Tito Puente. Had tons of chances, never took 'em.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 6th December 2004
Gear Head

Nirvana at the Roxy about a month before nevermind came out.

Pearl Jam at the Viper room the night before they played the MTV awards, Classic moment watching Eddie tell Johnny to go %^&* himself while on stage.

Ministry at LA Paladium during the mind is a terrible thing to taste tour

Sonic Youth and Nirvana during the goo and bleach tour Calamity Janes, Las Vegas

Dead Kennedys in Las Vegas at a wharehouse
Old 6th December 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by ttauri
Live show I wish I'd seen just once: Tito Puente. Had tons of chances, never took 'em.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Yeah, I screwed up bad not seeing Stephanne Grappelli when I had the chance!
Old 7th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
Little River Band at the Universal Amphitheatre in Hollywood in 1980.
I've been telling my friends for years that the LRB is probably the most underated live band in the last thirty years. Of course, they always look at me like I some kind of a weirdo.

I feel better now.

Laser
Old 7th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
I saw the last show of that tour at the Nassau Coliseum (LI, NY). Even without Waters it was an amazing show. A lot of the footage they shot that night ended up in the movie... IIRC some of the Versailles show(s) also. No backstage's for me though, I was under the Pig.heh

Geeeez, was that really 14 years ago?
I saw one of the earlier shows of that tour in Oakland---5th row tickets (right in front of David Gilmore).

It easily wins the number one spot on my list.

Next would be probably be Queen (saw them three times). Freddy and Brian May were f**king incredible--especially Freddy.

For small clubs, Gamma in the late 1970's. Ronnie Montrose was perfect. Perfect tone, perfect phrasing, perfect playing (never thought much of him before that concert).

For opening song: Y&T. They opened with "Forever". Dave Meneketti's amp sounded like he was playing through a 1,000-ft Marshall stack--a mindblowing sound. I saw Van Halen on the same stage a week earlier, and Meneketti sounded much better than Eddie.

Laser
Old 7th December 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldone
In Kansas City

Beatles 1966
OK - you win.

Talking Heads on Stop Making Sense tour. The light show wouldn't work so they played uner the house lights. Unbelievable energya and tightness.

Spinal Tap - Beacon theatre, NYC 2002. Sponsored by an adult diaper company. they lowered a mini stonehenge wrapped in one such diaper product. Best use of product placement in Rock and Roll history.
Old 7th December 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldone
In Kansas City

Beatles 1966
OK - you win.

Talking Heads on Stop Making Sense tour. The light show wouldn't work so they played uner the house lights. Unbelievable energya and tightness.

Spinal Tap - Beacon theatre, NYC 2002. Sponsored by an adult diaper company.
Old 7th December 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by robinrosedrumme
Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band.Pepperland.San Rafiel CA.1971.Lick My Decals Off, Baby tour... The most amazing show ever.Dedicated to Jimi by the Captain.2000 people levitated 30 feet into the air.....NOBODY has done anything like it before or since.Rockette Morton ,Drumbo and Ed Marimba"s solo for Bass and 2 drummers was truely MAGIC....

Oh my God! You saw the Captain??? The Decals tour???? Holy ****, that's really something. I would have loved to have seen that. I'm still heartbroken over losing my"Clear Spot" LP done in transparent vinyl.
Brad
Old 7th December 2004
Lives for gear

Five of them stand out....

Beach Boys, Surf's Up tour, 1969??70?.

Bob Marley and the Wailers early 70's?? (just sold Ziggy some ATC's-YA baby!)

Yes, Close to the Edge Tour, 1973 (Bill Buford again)

Rufus premier tour with a very cute chick named Chaka; warm up act was Minnie Ripperton

King Crimson, Starless and Bible Black Tour
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search