The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Best Live Show You've Ever Witnessed? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th November 2004
Here for the gear

big shows:

The Police, Wembley Arena, London 1983 - enormous energy, louder than hell, probably the best live band I ever saw. (Saw Sting play at MSG a few weeks ago, and boy did that suck. What a waste of money. )

More recently... David Bowie, Reality tour, Madison Sq Garden NY Dec 03. Amazing songs, great performances and energy. Best songs I never knew I knew award.

U2, last time out in NJ - very very fine show from start to finish.

Peter Gabriel - Growing Up 2002 - played to a half empty arena, but a spectacular show both in terms of the music, and the visuals. Jaw dropping.

Eric Clapton - Royal Albert Hall, London 1989ish, with Phil Collins on drums, Mark Knopfler on second guitar, etc. Just beautiful. First time I realize EC was as good a singer as he is a guitarist.

smaller shows:

The Wailers, Sag Harbor NY 1990.

Richard Thompson - 1000 years of popular music (2004 in NJ): this man is in a class by himself. Jaw-dropping, unforgettable show, and proof that one man with an acoustic guitar can make a bigger sound than a 10 piece rock band. The set goes from Elizabethan folk songs to Britney Spears. Hilarious and brilliant - highly recommended.
Old 28th November 2004
Here for the gear

Chicago at the Whisky in 1970....just changed their name from CTI (Chicago Transit Authority)... Hands on the stage between Terry Kath & Pete Cetera...60 Minutes was filming them for one of their spots...the band rocked!
The 3 day summer festival in Northridge, CA, just before Woodstock. Hendrix headlined Friday night & fliped off the audience (they just kept yelling "Foxey Lady"), Mitch Mitchell stopped in the middle of his drum solo to scream at a fan who had managed to climb up onto the stage. Was introduced to Jethro Tull on Saturday...WOW! Creedance Clearwater headlined Saturday night and sounded better than their records...surprized the ***t outta me. Sunday's headliner were the Young Rascals & their singer/conga player must of dropped some acid 'cause he was about four bars ahead from the rest of the band...should of seen the look on the guitarist's face!
Led Zep....San Diego Sports Arena....1976....festival seating....front row (standing) between Page & Plant...inside three hrs before the show to get the seat and dare not move or I'd lose it. When Page finally hit his Marshall stacks (positioned directly in front of me) I had to drop down & find some paper to cram in my ears to keep my drums from exploding! In the middle of a wah wah solo, someone threw some clothing that landed right on his foot. Turned around once to see a number of bare breasted ladied nesting on their boyfriends shoulders....ah the perils of being a rock star.

Henri
4A Song Prod
Reno, NV
Old 28th November 2004
Gear Maniac

Just remembered one.....

Early-mid '70's, went to a Kansas show. Opening act was Fleetwood Mac.

If memory serves, this was right after they had sued someone for touring a bogus Fleetwood Mac in the US.

I was a Mac fan, mostly of the earlier Peter Green era. They'd gone through so many changes that none of us were quite sure what the lineup was going to be at the time. We were sorta hoping for a return of Peter Green or Jeremy Spencer. Bob Welch maybe? At the very worst we expected a bogus band and were prepared to boo 'em off the stage.

There were probably no more than 500 people at the show. Fleetwood Mac came out and absolutely blew us away.

I remember everyone asking each other "Who's that guitarist? Who's that girl singer?"

This was right before the first album was released with Buckingham and Nicks. They played most of that album as well as loads of stuff from the old days.

Pretty impressive show, and as they say "the rest is history!"

.....Kansas was pretty good, too!
Old 28th November 2004
Lives for gear

1. Pearl Jam in Philly...I think it was last year. Anyhow, they come out on stage, and Ed said something to the effect of "We don't know what it is about Philadelphia, but we sell more records here than in any other part of the country...even our home...so we hope you don't mind if we play until we fall over tonight"

They played for about 3.5 hours...it was sick. They sounded as strong on their last song as they did on their first, and they must have played close to 40 tunes.

2. I saw the Melvins the night after Kurt Cobain killed himself. I was shocked that they even wanted to play (Kurt had a lot to do with Houdini)...but they came out at the old 9:30 club, and played a blistering set. I've seen the Melvins about 12 times, and I've never seen em play like they did that night

3. Marc Ford at the old 8x10. there were maybe 12 people there...all guitarists...lol. He played like there were 12,000 people in that room. I know his brother gets a lot of credit, but Marc is special.

I'm sure that there are other shows, but I'm hazy right now. I'll rattle off a list of bands that have kicked my ass live...

Mastodon, Clutch, Candiria, The Rollins Band, Primus (with Brain), Gov't Mule (with Woody), Soundgarden (1992, and 94...both of the 96 shows were pretty bad by comparison).
Old 28th November 2004
Lives for gear

best live act of all time-G.G. ALLIN

2nd place is gwar.
Old 28th November 2004
Gear Addict

Don Caballero in a tiny CD shop in Jacksonville, FL.

Sam Rivers' Trio at The Covered Dish in Gainesville.
Old 28th November 2004
Gear Nut

Nickel Creek at the Kent Folk Festival 04'

The best performance I have witnessed, EVER!

The sound was almost scary. The clearity and warmth made me re-examine my paradigm of live sound.

I talked with the mixer and he pointed at a rack full of Summit tube gear and said he wouldn't work without them.

Of course the band was so good that it would be pretty impossible for them not sound stellar.

Chris
Old 28th November 2004
Gear Addict

As a keyboardist, it would have to be either Stevie Wonder in '81 or Billy Joel/Elton John in '01.

I'm trying to remember the Atlanta Rhythm Section in '77, but the place was pretty "foggy"!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 29th November 2004
Lives for gear

Best show ever? Hands down the Boss every time I've seen him.
Bruce never disappoints.
Old 29th November 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by shikawkee
Best show ever? Hands down the Boss every time I've seen him.
Bruce never disappoints.
You've been lucky.

The last time I saw Bruce (Continetal Airlines Arena, Meadowlands NJ, w/ E Street band) the sound was so bad we left after 30 minutes.

I miss Bruce Jackson at FOH, that's for sure.

-g
Old 29th November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by GilWave
You've been lucky.

The last time I saw Bruce (Continetal Airlines Arena, Meadowlands NJ, w/ E Street band) the sound was so bad we left after 30 minutes.

I miss Bruce Jackson at FOH, that's for sure.

-g
I saw him at the Meadowlands in '85 or '86 and the sound sucked then too but the performance was great. Those big arenas are ridiculous but I saw him at MSG in 2000 or '01 and it was top shelf.

The best shows were the small club gigs naturally.
Old 29th November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by maskedman72
best live act of all time-G.G. ALLIN

2nd place is gwar.
I forgot Gwar!!! That was one of the best shows too, I saw them at Fenders Ballroom in 1990 or so.
Another of the best ever was The Damned at The Reseda Country Club in 1982.
Can't forget The Dead Kennedys and Minor Threat at The Barn in 1981.
Theres way more than that... Like The Plasmatics at The Whiskey in 1980. I took a grab at Wendy O's upper portions and she swiftly backhanded me with a sturdy SM 58!
Old 29th November 2004
More cowbell!

Hmm...

Rush - Fly By Night tour and 2112 Tour, circa 197?

Yes - Relayer tour

Emmerson, Lake & Palmer with the Julliard Symphony and Chior (Works I), amazing, Cinncinati, OH.

Zappa - Joes Garage tour, personal in-class performance at OSU, conducting his own symphonic works later that weekend.

Pink Floyd - ANimals

Zep - final tour

Todd Rundgren - A Capella

Utopia, Legend Valley, Ohio, headlining with Cheap Trick and the Cars as warmups--with me working side-stage.
Old 29th November 2004
Here for the gear

Going back in time I remember stu Hamms Bass guitar solo stealing a Joe Stariani tour show in Australia. Yngwie Malmsteen actually could play that fast whilst running about in tight pants. His version of the Hendrix tune Spanish castle magic made up for it all.

Really glad I got to see stevie ray vaughan here before he left us. Brother Jimmy was in Aus at the same time. Both of them on the double neck guitar was something to behold as the grand finish.

Acoustic stuff.... Still love Richard Thompson and would go to a forth show. A one man guitar and songwriting powerhouse.
Old 29th November 2004
GAK
Gear Head

Most memorable concerts

#1 by a mile Woodstock! stayed for 3 days
of Sex, Drugs and Rock n' Roll, ok not so much sex.
Standouts that I can remember-
Santana, Joe Cocker, The Band
missed Jendrix unfortunatley.

Young Rascals- 1966 At the Phone Booth(small club in Manhattan, just as they were hitting it big)
amazing show, blows away the records, great Live band. as result if this show bought a Hammond B3 a week later, quit college and never looked back.

the Vagrants-Leslie West's first band
1966 at the Action House, Long Island(hoime of a lot of great NY bands) great live band, fantatstic arrangements.Would Vanilla Fudge exist without them?

Stevie Wonder-1972 Montreal Forum

Gino Vanelli-1972-5 MOntreal Forum
an incredible band and performer

I'll stop here.
GAK
Old 29th November 2004
Lives for gear

O.K., you guys who were going to the shows in the '60s and '70 can just stop rubbing our noses in all the great shows you saw. I'd give up all my Motley Crue shows to see one Zeppelin show. But here we go, anyway...

By the way -- I read every post. I am so proud to be on a board with everybody here. The enthusiasm is overwhelming. I truly love music, and I feel a LOT OF LOVE on this board!!!

How come nobody mentioned a rap/rhythmic R & B show? Only one I saw was KRS-One (who I saw this spring -- sold-out club -- AWESOME), and the comment was "liked it 'cause I [scored] afterward." In case anyone was wondering, I'd take Public Enemy '92 (in a club) over Jay-Z 2000 (MTV promotional appearance) any day. Outkast was cool on Smokin' Grooves ('98?) opening for P-Funk, but there was something weird about the two-turntables-and-two-microphones vibe in front of 10000-15000 ppl, especially considering that they went on before dusk. Arrested Development on Lolla III was way-cool though (actual, live, MUSICIANS!!!). Ditto for The Roots, New Year's Eve '99/'00.

Now, as AC/DC would say, LET THERE BE ROCK!!!

King's X -- "Faith, Hope, Love" -- Mad Monk, Wilmington NC. Stood in front of Doug's cabs the whole time. Nine Ampeg 8x10's with the high distortion/low clean bass thing. 12-string bass on "It's Love" and "Fine Art of Friendship" KILLED!

Metallica -- "And Justice For All" -- Carolina Coliseum. Lars standing up whacking the snare on the intro of "Blackened" after the 1st guitar riff...holy s&^t!

Jeff Beck (opening for Santana) -- summer of '94, Bozzio on drums. JB blew me away (huge fan) -- I could hardly get into Santana.

Phish -- '91 or '92 (pre-Elektra). Went on recommendation -- I'd never heard a song. Sold out...too good for words.

Thurn & Taxis (early '90's) 1313 club, Charlotte NC -- North Carolina local band. Kinda like Jellyfish meets XTC or Elvis Costello. Yes, they were that good. I drag out the tapes every once in a while. They got signed for, like, 15 minutes.

Gov't Mule -- Ziggy's, NC -- somebody mentioned 'em. Saw 'em with Woody 2 or 3 times.

Derek Trucks -- Ziggy's, NC -- stood right in front of his Fender Super. This guy is the s&^t on guitar.

Pearl Jam -- Lolla II, "Ten". Saw it twice, jumped the stage at the Charlotte show. If anyone has a videotape, send it to me. PJ went on second out of 7 bands.

Stuck Mojo -- '92/'93, club. RATM without the fast-food politics. Oh, yeah -- and this was before RATM.

Mellowdrone -- 2003 (?) -- opening for S.T.U.N. at the Troubadour, L.A. -- S.T.U.N. was just getting ready to come out on Geffen (Andy Wallace mixed some of the record), so here's this...uhhh...solo artist on stage with some loop delays and a guitar...think Radiohead meets Buckley in one body (!). First song -- people are talking through it. By the time he was done with the third song, you could hear a pin drop between tunes. Drummer joined in later, but, by then, our fate was sealed. Unfortunately, Mellowdrone was on ArtistDirect...

Aimee Mann -- twice. The best band, the best songs...

Jon Brion -- Largo. If you're in L.A. and you haven't caught his Friday night appearance, get your ass down there! The best producer/musician out there.

Jason Falkner -- NYC promo appearance for Reverb (HBO), Author Unknown album (late '90's). All the people who mentioned Jellyfish would probably be jealous of me seeing this show, especially considering I was, like, one of 5 people in the audience of 150 or so who actually knew the record.

Phil Keaggy -- solo ('90s). Acoustic only. I don't think my 12-string saw standard tuning for months afterward.

Guns 'n Roses -- Carolina Coliseum -- yeah, I was a youngin'! I've told this story sooooo many times -- Whitesnake was opening for Crue on Girls, Girls, Girls -- and they dropped off the tour...some band called Guns 'n Roses took the opening slot. With no light show and a simple stage setup (half-stacks), they proceeded to rewrite the book on hard rock. Our lives were never the same. Nobody had ever heard of 'em -- a week later, we all had the record.

EVEN WITH THIS MANY, I AM LEAVING OUT SOME OF THE BEST ONES!!! WOODSTOCK '94! ERIC JOHNSON! AC/DC! U2 (Achtung)! THE CULT (Sonic Temple)! ALICE IN CHAINS (Dirt)! OZZY (No More Tears)! THE BLACK CROWES (in a club)! FISHBONE (in a club)! PANTERA (Vulgar Display...)! THE CURE! THE PIXIES! RUSH! BON JOVI! LIVING COLOUR! THE STONES! PETER GABRIEL! COUNTING CROWS! CRACKER! SOUNDGARDEN! TOOL! SEPULTURA! SLAYER! STEELY DAN! VAN HALEN! I COULD GO ON AND ON...
Old 29th November 2004
Gear Nut

The Smashing Pumpkins @ DAR Constitution hall- It was the show before their drummer sold the heroin to the keyboardist that killed him. It's a smallish 2000 seat hall but I think they must have brought the normal stadium PA. I was in the third row but had to move back a few rows to make sense of what was going on. They are (were) so amazing. What happened to bands like the Pumpkins? So much dynamic range in their material, so many different sounds and styles. His voice is so terrible and unique that it's really quite beautiful. Nobody rocks out like they do.

Jay-Z and 50 Cent Rock the Mic tour @ Nissan Pavilion. They did this tribute to B.I.G. and Aliyah where normally thunder plays on the track. When Jay-Z stretched his arms out to the crowd, it actually started thundering and lightning as if on queue! It seemed like Jay-Z had such amazing crowd control, that the weather was cooperating as well!
Old 29th November 2004
Re: Most memorable concerts

Quote:
Originally posted by GAK
the Vagrants-Leslie West's first band
1966 at the Action House, Long Island(hoime of a lot of great NY bands) great live band, fantatstic arrangements.Would Vanilla Fudge exist without them?

Gino Vanelli-1972-5 MOntreal Forum
an incredible band and performer
GAK
Wow!! The Vagrants!! You lucky b*stard. I have the LP, and am a big Leslie West fan.

As for the Rascals, another great act. Felix Cavaliere is a genius.

Vanelli is a monster. His "Brother to Brother" record is a masterpiece.

Nice list GAK.

-gil
Old 29th November 2004
pgk
Gear Nut

saw Stanley Jordan perform about 12 years ago. He had one guitar on a stand that he played chords and rhythm accompaniment and wore the lead guitar. There was a backing band cosisting of standup bass and drums, but they didn't need to be there, and they looked it. I have never heard anything like this done on guitar. He did a version of "Elenor Rigby" that seemed like it was imported straight from a habitable, undiscovered planet where music was developed by altogether different means. The song was still recognizable, but it was something completely different.

i saw stanley in '81 in nyc when he was still playing on the street. i was on 48th st and he set up in front of We Buy Guitars. i parked my butt on a fire hydrant and watched him for like two hours in the freezing cold before the cops came and broke it up. me being a guitar player you can imagine my reaction seeing him for the first time! i bought a copy of "touch sensitive" from him that day.

best live show i've ever seen, to this day, was the original Shakti at the Beacon Theater, late 70's i believe.
Old 29th November 2004
Lives for gear

the Happy Seals at the Frog and rosbif in Paris sometime around 1993 or 94 ...

they had people dancing on the tables ...

Fat is one of the coolest songs i have ever heard ...

the bartender told methat people would be dancing on the tables that night so i had to go back ...

short story ...

i went in the place in the afternoon to have a beer and asked the bartender if they had music, he told me about the Happy Seals and said you must come back that night ... when i got back i saw the bartender and he asked where i was from ... i told him Los Angeles and he said that the guitar player was from LA ... so he introduced me to the gtr player and this guys looks at me and says ... LA, so who do you know (what a dick i thought) and i said that i knew Danny Montgomery (drummer i played with in Christine Lakelands band in late 80's) and this guy looks at me like i am crazy ... he drags me over to the bandstand, pulls out a CD and says that danny played on his last record .... i satyed and had one of the best times in my life ... small world ...

if anyone knows the where abouts of Danny please drop me a line ... he had cancer a few years ago and i am not sure how or where he is ...

i did see Christine (married to JJ Cale i we did not even know it at the time) at the NAMM show a couple of years ago ... she looks great ... but she did not know about Danny either ...

peace john

also:

smashing pumpkins at Brixton Acedemy in 96' (i was working on a show called "On Tour" for PBS and we had to do a reshoot with them at Brixton after a young girl was crushed at a show in Dublin the week before ...
Old 29th November 2004
#1, Jimi Hendrix at the Hollywood Bowl in '68. Have you ever seen a show with 200 acid ripped hippies jumping into the reflecting pool and swimming around? Hendrix also played "Are You Experienced". Seeing him play the backwards guitar solo forwards, yet sounding just like the record still baffles me.

#2, The Who at the Hollywood bowl 3 days after Entwistle died. It wasn't a concert, but more of a wake. Not a dry eye in the house.

#3, Rolling Stones at San Diego stadium. It was pouring rain, but Mick and the boys wouldn't let it get anyone down. Amazing how well a Tele can sound with water all over the strings.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Is this showing my age or what?
Old 29th November 2004
Lives for gear

Wow, great topic...makes me stop and appreciate how much great live music I've experienced.

It's tough to pick one best show, but if I have to, I'd say Steeleye Span at my college gym in Clinton, NY, back in 1976 or so (on the "Rocket Cottage" tour). I'd been to a couple of concerts before this, but this was the first one that knocked my socks off, and it still stands out in my mind as the best. Spot-on harmony vocals, kickass Celtic-rock jams, Maddy Prior dancing with the audience...just outstanding in every respect.

Honorable mention:

Martin Sexton, FleetBoston Pavilion, summer 2004. If you've seen this guy, you know what I'm talking about. He's the Jimi Hendrix of singer-songwriters.

The Roches, Clinton NY, 1979. In an acoustically near-perfect college chapel. Sheer, heartbreaking, goose-bump-inducing beauty.

Joan Armatrading, Orpheum, Boston, c. 1984. Talk about having the crowd eating out of your hand. Good thing she didn't embrace the dark side or she could have been a cult leader.

Yes, Tsongas Arena, Lowell, Mass., May 2004. Ageless doesn't even begin to cover it...I saw them in '78 and they were better this time. How does Anderson still hit those notes? He must be 60 for the luvva Pete.
Old 29th November 2004
Lives for gear

- Femi Kuti & Positive Force (Club Shelter, either '99 or 2000) - Mwaaaaah! I think this is what it must have felt like to have seen James Brown & the JBs. Rhythms unstoppable.

- Experience Unlimited - some block party in DC, 1988 or so.

- Miracle Legion at The Ritz ('87?), opening for Aztec Camera

- BDP, Jamalski, Tim Dog, Caveman (others?) - Village Gate '92 (like the Supermen battle, part of the New Music Seminar stuff that year--part of the memory was all it took to actually get into the VG , also just how it reflected the mood of hip-hop at the time--Caveman did a halfway decent set, but being from the UK and with their DJ only scratching over pre-recorded tracks, they were relentlessly booed. Meanwhile Tim Dog sucked but because he did "F**k Compton" he got major love. BDP and Jamalski did rock it furreel tho.

On a somewhat alternative tip:

- Mixmaster Mike vs. DJ Honda (Supermen DJ Battle '92) - MMM was just freakin' stunning in this battle.
- Invisible Skratch Piklz vs. X-men (1996 ITF)
- Kid Koala & friends (London '03)
- The Flaming Lips' Boombox Experiment

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 29th November 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Middleton
How does Anderson still hit those notes? He must be 60 for the luvva Pete.
Oh c'mon now - you are a registered gearslut and you have to posit that question?

-g
Old 29th November 2004
HSL
Here for the gear

I'll throw in a few of my own,

Buddy Guy at the Majestic Theater in Detroit about '94. Totally owned the audience and we were begging for more. He would walk out into the crowd and go up to the prettiest girls and grab their hand to pluck his guitar strings for some wicked solo. Unbelievable.

Another Majestic show... Chris Whitley opening for John Campbell. Never heard of the guy and he came out and blew us away with just a dobro and a mike taped to the floor for his beat.

The Paladins at the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor. I think it was Willie Dixon who had just passed away and Dave Gonzalez just tore it up with the blues that night! An awesomely underated band!

Doug H
Hise Sound Labs
Old 29th November 2004
Gear Maniac

Rage Against The Machine - 1995 @ Red Rocks in Denver

I started out about the 6th row in the middle.. about halfway into the first song I ended up about 20th row way off to the side. By the end of the show I finally made it back up to the front. It was a crazy, bouncing, floating sea of people.. absolutely nuts.

peace,
Ants
Old 29th November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
How does Anderson still hit those notes? He must be 60 for the luvva Pete.

Oh c'mon now - you are a registered gearslut and you have to posit that question?

-g
If you're thinking Autotune, I thought of that too, but the only practical way to use that would be for him to sing a whole octave below the real notes--and I would think that would create audible artifacts even in a live situation. Maybe I'm underestimating Autotune, which I don't own and have only used briefly.

Of course there might be a gearslut factor involved in the form of processing to make it sound like he's got more tone left up in that register than he does.

Or, he just might be a genuine countertenor who's taken good care of his vocal equipment.
Old 29th November 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Middleton

-g

If you're thinking Autotune, I thought of that too, but the only practical way to use that would be for him to sing a whole octave below the real notes--and I would think that would create audible artifacts even in a live situation. Maybe I'm underestimating Autotune, which I don't own and have only used briefly.
[/QUOTE]

It's not Autotune.

-g
Old 29th November 2004
Lives for gear

wow... there's a lot of great ones on here... Kings X would have to be right up at the top of my list too... but... the end all be all.... was....

Pink Floyd - Pulse Tour - Vanderbilt Stadium in like 92 or 93 or so.

Simply STUNNING. The sound was incredible. The band was beyond incredible. The visual effects, etc were almost beyond belief. It was the most amazing live band experience of all time.

p.s. This was the concert that put an 8 year ban on live concerts at Vanderbilt stadium....
Old 29th November 2004
Lives for gear

Tabla Beat Science - Live in Stern Grove.

Free outdoor concert, great weather (it's usually foggy). We had one of the picnic tables, great seats.

Highlight of last summer.

Prince at the Filmore last Valentine's day.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search