The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Best Live Show You've Ever Witnessed? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 27th November 2004
Lives for gear

Recently. Mathew Herbert Big Band Glasgow's Arches theatre. Most intoxicating sound and tightest playing I've ever heard. 20 piece band with the cream of Londons session world. They also had a conductor who wore cans with the click track on, which probably accounts for the tightness.

Tony WILLIAMS. jazz cafe, London c.1992. What can I say. Awesome.
Herbie Hancock. clapham Grand. c.1996. One of my heroes.

Simply Red. Picture Book tour,mid 80's. Before they blanded out and were still hungry. The sound of Mick Hucknall's voice will remain in my ears.

Der Rosencavalier:The met. cond. James Levine. Ok I know it's not strictly a gig but as an aural experience(Strauss and the Met orchestra, Renee Fleming and Susan Graham) difficult to beat.

Gigs I wish I had seen. Anything by Zepplin1968-1977.
Zappa anything from mid 70's onwards.

Gigs I don't want to see: Steely Dan. I apprciate the perfection of their recorded legacy and would probably only dissappointed by a live show
Old 27th November 2004
Lives for gear

A few shows (As I'm a youngun) that kicked my ass.

The last Phish show - Some sloppy moments, but WHOA. Emotional one. I think I saw God that night. At the very least made it to the next level.

Gomez at the last Bonnaroo.

Dave Matthews Band the first time at Soldier Field.

Ben Harper opening for Dave that night at soldier field.

Chris Cornell's only solo show in KC, somewhere around 1999 or 2000. The first time I've ever heard a man sound as good as his records. He peeled the paint off the walls!!!!

And hell. moe. at the Aragon for New Years a couple of years back.
Old 27th November 2004
The Steve Morse Band with Jerry Peek on bass at the Winter NAMM show, 1983

Joe Satriani and Steve Vai on stage together at the Limelight during the very last Chicago Summer NAMM show, when Ibanez introduced the JEM 777. They pushed each other to heights I'd never seen before or since.

King's X on tour in support of their 4th album, some little club in Long Island. Ty Tabor is not from this planet. The guys from Dream Theatre were outside trying to get in - they had just been signed to the same label as King's X - it was funny seeing John Petrucci yelling out to Ty "hey man, we're label mates - can I get a ticket?"

-gil
Old 27th November 2004
Lives for gear

Black Flag at Baces Hall in 1980, riot included...
Old 27th November 2004
Lives for gear

The Pixies, Brixton Academy '90 (or was it '91?). At the peak of their powers. Awesome!!! Head and shoulders above anything else I've seen

But also worth a mention:

U2, Logan Campbell Centre, the War Tour, 3000 people. Bono at his flag waving best. They pretty much played the first 3 albums in thier entirety.

Beastie Boys, Hello Nasty tour, Wembley Arena. The Beasties were excellent but MM Mike was on fire.

REM, Cranberries, Radiohead. Milton Keynes Bowl. Young upstarts Radiohead totally blowing the Cranberries off stage.

I'm totally jealous of you who have posted about seeing the Meters, Miles, and Led Zep. My biggest regret was not going to Nirvana, as I seem to remember, I turned it down for the opportunity to chase skirt.
Old 27th November 2004
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by recorderman
1. Pink Floyd performing "The Wall" at the LA sports arena 1980.
2. Led Zeppelin at the Inglewood Forum 1977...the night that Keith Moon got up and doubled with Bonzo on Moby Dick.
Damn you recorderman! Does anyone else feel like that 'band vibe' / 'talented musician' vibe which makes for a great live show is kind of going away with the rise of the sequencer and computer?

I do, though I thought the Stanton Warriors (a UK two-step duo) did it as best you could. One was mixing vinyl while the other was sampling things with an Akai s1000! I swear, or at least that's what the faceplate looked like. I don't know how he was doing it. Best 'electronic/dance' act I've seen.
Old 27th November 2004
Gear Head

each and everytime i see Les Savy Fav, Tim does something amazing and wont let the crowd not have fun.

also David Bowie on the recent tour with the encore consisting entirely of Ziggystardust and the Spiders from Mars era setlist. (man i wish i would have been around to see that tour).
Old 28th November 2004
Gear Head

Son House at the Whole coffeehouse in Minneapolis about 1969 or 70.
The most intense, charismatic performer I have ever seen.
Old 28th November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by dntknowsht
Black Flag at Baces Hall in 1980, riot included...
Old 28th November 2004
Lives for gear

In no particular order:

Hendrix in Honolulu summer of 70 – what I remember of it anyway (purple microdot).

Zappa – pretty much anytime. Honolulu, Des Moines etc.

Fine Young Cannibals & UB-40, Des Moines about 87 or so.

Mahavishnu Orchestra – UW Oshkosh Field House 74 or so (windowpane helped a bit).

Led Zep – Honolulu in summer of 71 - They got off the plane late and had to try to get people to shut up so they could play their new song – Stairway to Heaven.

Richard Thompson – Mock Tudor tour at First Avenue in Minneapolis. Kind of makes me want to give up playing guitar.

The Suburbs at First Avenue - you pick a date.

And lots more that I don’t recall at the moment.
Old 28th November 2004
Lives for gear

Best show I ever saw was.....

NIN...Fragility tour...in Lakeland Florida..."near orlando"..

**** rocked

Saw Korn in the same place..and it was a great show too

Haven't been to many shows though....wish I could have seen Pink and RATM....but $hit happens.
Old 28th November 2004
gko
Gear Head

Portishead
Strapping Young Lad
Old 28th November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by entropy
U2, Logan Campbell Centre, the War Tour, 3000 people. Bono at his flag waving best. They pretty much played the first 3 albums in thier entirety.
You lucky man thumbsup

I once played in a 400 people big wedding in Siberia, Russia;
not the best liveshow, but pretty memorable...

Some days later, I played for 500 in a siberian prison.
In the middle of the show, the guards decided to go for a smoke.
There we were, left alone with half a thousand of russian prisoners.
Also pretty memorable......

ruudman
Old 28th November 2004
Han
Lives for gear

Two months ago Sarah Brightman in Amsterdam Heineken Music Hall.

Everything was perfect, sound better than any CD, lights, band/orchestra, a 100% perfect show for only €40.
Old 28th November 2004
Perhaps....

The Who, Bad Company & Lou Reed live at Charlton Athletic Football ground circa 1975...
Old 28th November 2004
Gear Maniac
By far the most memorable rock concert I recall was when I first saw the Moody Blues at a concert in Cincinnati around 1970 or 71'. At the age of 16, I had heard them on record but had not paid attention and was not really familiar with them much...However, I had a free ride there with some of my band members and possibly a free ticket (can't remember) so I went. I saw a pissed off looking Van Morrison open up for the Moody's, as everybody was screaming for the Moody Blues all through his set!!...(but Van Morrison always seems pissed off to me)...Although Van Morrison sang a great set anyway. He had that really fine guitar player who played on Brown Eyed Girl with him. Lot's of sequential 6th chords!

Anyway, when the Moody Blues came on I was enthralled. This was about the time they had just released To Our Childrens Childrens Children. This was one of the most magical concerts I had ever seen, hands down. At one point Justin Hayward sang the song "Watching And Waiting" and at the end of the song you could have literally heard a pin drop...utter silence! I had never before or since witnessed that kind of thing in a big rock arena. Even the other Moodies stopped and applauded Justin. The man had that huge, obnoxious hippy crowd in the palm of his hands! What a singer!!

Needless to say, from there on out the Moody Blues became my religion for some time. Justin is a great guitar player as well, he has a strong guitar technique. I am mainly a bluesman these days but I appreciate the pure rock n'roll spirit when I hear it as well as the celestial spirit the Moody Blues have given us for so many years.
Old 28th November 2004
Lives for gear

Pink Floyd
Old 28th November 2004
Lives for gear

So many very good concerts, so many so-so ones... but one that really stands out for me was Tom Petty, such a really good show.
Old 28th November 2004
Gear Head

Quote:
Tac Head w/Adrian Sherwood mixing... damn, it's been a lot of years and a lot of shows...
Sweet!

Quote:
Penguin Cafe Orchestra in a DC auditorium (Lisner?) late 80's/early 90's
nice!

A couple that come to mind for me:

Peter Tosh & Jimmy Cliff 1982? in Portland

DOA (headliner), No Means No (one of the most jaw dropping live bands) and Soundgarden (opener) Vancouver, BC in early '88
Old 28th November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by tenton
Peter Tosh & Jimmy Cliff 1982? in Portland

AWESOME !!!

I never saw Peter while he was living but I caught the Peter Tosh birthday celebration in San Fran 2 years in a row. It coincides with my birthday which I allways thought was neat.

It usually features Bunny Wailer and Andrew Tosh (who does a great job with his fathers tunes.) and a few other acts to get things warmed up. The first one wasn`t done till like 6:00 in the morning !

Speaking of long shows my other favorite is a tie of about 7 times I`ve seen George Clinton/Funkadelic/Parliament/P.Funk All Stars.

NO ONE works a stage and a crowd like George and these guys Go from Funk to Metal to Jazz to Hip Hop to R&B and combine it in their set like no other band I`ve ever seen. Highlights along along with all the Funk for me are usually Maggot Brain and the other 20 minute guitar solo they let the other guy play around a blues riff. ****ing great ! These guys don`t stop playing until they kick them out. The longest show I saw was a marathon that went on well over 5 hrs !!!!

If I had to single out a show it`d be the one I saw at Harbor Lights With Bootsie, Bernie Worrel, and a lot of the other old guys there. They Landed the Mothership like in their 70`s shows. Amazing show.

Awesome thread JAX ! thumbsup thumbsup
Old 28th November 2004
Lives for gear

there have been some goodn's
stones, dead, clash, jefferson airplane
but one of my alltime favs
B-52's opening for the Talking Heads berklee performance center, Boston circa 80's something
Old 28th November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinc

Awesome thread JAX ! thumbsup thumbsup
Thanks Kev!

I had forgotten all about it, but I'm glad to see it have another life.

Old 28th November 2004
Gear Addict

Most memorable shows
in chronological order:

around '72-'77
Chicago....... super hi-fi for the time
Doobie Brothers...... incredibly tight
Skynyrd, first row, original lineup
Rush first US tour, and 2112 tour
Bruce Springsteen...Wild, Innocent tour
off the scale, maybe 50 people in a small theater
Eric Johnson jawdropping
Pat Metheny more jawdropping
Dylan Rolling Thunder Review lots o good music
'78 Springsteen again, this time redefined The Scale, my fav show ever
ELP Brain Salad Surgury tour, Lake's voice was killer
Police Syncronicity tour, first encore"So Lonely"
early 80's
Elvis Costello w/Sqeeze opening, a super special show Palladium NYC
Yes at MSG
McCartney at Staples Center in '01, 9.9 out of 10
honorable mentions: Grand Funk, Three Dog Night, Styx, ZZ Top, The Who, Jeff Buckley, Los Lobos, Be Bop Deluxe, B.B. King, S.R.V., Freddy King, Angelique Kidjo, John Abercrombie, Guided By Voices, and way too many unknowns in clubs to mention
Dave McNair
Old 28th November 2004
Gear Nut

Bowie Reality Tour 2004 was that good! Point blank Earl Slick!

Roger Waters Radio Kaos Tour 1987.

Zappa Broadway The Hardway Tour 1988

Butthole Surfers Cleveland Agora 1991.

Janes Addiction 1991 Lollapalooza.

KISS Buffalo 1978!!!

Old 28th November 2004
Gear Guru

Brian Wilson performing "Smile" 3 weeks ago, period.heh
Old 28th November 2004
I can't really rank them against each other but some of the more memorable concerts:

U2 - Unforgettable Fire tour, Jacksonville FL (with The Call opening up)

Soul Asylum - Hang Time tour, some bar in Raleigh NC (best show I ever saw in a small club)

The Jayhawks - Under the Street, Durham, NC (there were about 6 people in the audience, think their first record had just come out, and they played with the same enthusiasm as if there were 5,000 fans present...a lesson in humility).

Neil Young - Silver and Gold tour, Greek Theatre, LA, (The Pretenders opening). Awesome.

Brian Wilson and the LA Symphony Orchestra - Pet Sounds Tour, Hollywood Bowl

Seeing the Who play their first show a few days after John Entwistle died. Sort of a loud wake.

Long live rock, be it dead or alive...
Old 28th November 2004
Village Idiot

Pretty dissapointed to see your talking about music.

Ill have to go with rock bitch then.

Gustav
Old 28th November 2004
Lives for gear

Best Show

The Who, April 1998 at the Charlotte Pavilion. It was an amazing experience. They re-vamped Quadraphenia and took three encores. Mind-boggling!

A close second was Black Flag, Dead Kennedys and Saccharine Trust all in one show in a 500 person nightclub back in their heyday.
Old 28th November 2004
Gear Maniac

Best show

The Who, July 3rd 1980.

There's been lots of them, but for the pure energy and vibe that show stands out. Townsend had fractured his wrist and still just killed, doing windmills in a wrist cast. The consumate R&R arena show.

SRV, early 80's. We opened some shows for him. He was on his way up and just burned the place down everytime.

Lot's and lot's of Neville Bros. shows.
Old 28th November 2004
Lives for gear

I've been working with a couple women who host a series of small venue Indie Women's music concerts.

http://www.indyindie.com/

Last spring they hosted Ember Swift with her partner Lyndell Montgomery. I was at the board.

Trina Hamlin opened the show
www.trinahamlin.com
Great voice - guitar, and blows a mean harp. After she got things rockin', Ember and Lyndell came out.

http://www.emberswift.com/

They both had a fair amount of gear sitting on the floor - samplers and effects - and they REALLY know how to use it. It was a BLAST watching them work and see them assemble multitrack music on stage - and the stories - the visuals Ember would create as she was piecing together her three-part backup singers for one song - I'm just a-grinnin' as I type just thinking about it.

http://www.emberswift.com/albums/mp3s/TenFeetTall.MP3

I had heard their CD before I did the show - I thought "Sound great in the studio, but it's going to lose a lot on stage" - NOT. They pulled it all off PLUS they were able to make the creation of the "effects" part of their stage show.

They ran the gamut from a few "built up" numbers to minimalist (Bass & Vocal).

I heard they're going to be back in town for a street show this summer. There's a good chance I'll be at the board for this one too - I can't wait!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search