The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Best Live Show You've Ever Witnessed? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 12th December 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by jspartz
-- Lyle Lovett @ the Rochester Civic Center for the Step inside this house tour.
Oh, yeah - I forgot Lyle Lovett. The two shows I've seen were absolutely fabulous. Once at the Ryman auditorium, and a few months ago at the Opry House.
Old 12th December 2002
Here for the gear

Van Morrison with Them about 1967 Oakland CA. Morrison was unbelievable!

-Jay
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

Miles Davis at Bumbershoot (Seattle) in the late 80's. His band was soooooo ****in good. I actually started crying. I had never been exposed to that level of musicianship.

I was in a band that opened for King Sunny Ade a few years ago, his band is also incredible. One more, Yossou N'Dour blew me away last year.

Old 12th December 2002
There is only one

probably the meters @ 930 club or janes addiction [2 of the 3 shows i saw them play, first lolla and last year?... that "other time" it was only perry and stephen from the band, i think flea was on bass and some dude on guitar, they sucked]

those are the two shows where i went holy **** the whole time and dumbfounded the rest of the night. seen other great shows but none like those.
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk

those are the two shows where i went holy **** the whole time and dumbfounded the rest of the night. seen other great shows but none like those.
I remember doing that "Holy ****!" comment all night at a McCoy Tyner / Elvin Jones show where I was sitting right next to McCoy and could see exactly what he was doing on the piano. That guy is from Mars. Years with Coltrane took him to a new place or I guess he was already there and that's why Coltrane wanted him. One of the most intense things I ever saw / heard. I remember at one point . . . I HAD to get up and take a short break as my brain couldn't take it all in.
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

Couple of stories, with the same band we also opened up for Jane's Addiction on the tour that Alpha mentioned (the one a few years ago with Flea). They were rock stars, we were not and were treated as such. They were good, but not that good.

Different band, opened for Leo and Zigaboo (of the Meters). Wow, at the time I did not know who they were, but was so blown away by Zig that I asked him to be on my record. Nicest guy in the world, and the funkiest drummer.
Old 13th December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

David Ruffin at The Strand in Redondo Beach (early 90's)
Sang a song called "Statue of a Man" he wrote when he was 18,
and knocked the audience out! Further goosebumps were raised when all of the surviving members of the Temptations, including Eddie Kendricks did their songs together. Met him after the show
and he said if I wanted to I could stay for the second set (did).

Pat Algers, Wayne Hollyfield, Robert Leigh, and Sonny Curtis at a
hotel in Santa Monica obstensively for a songwriting seminar.
Each one of them brought a guitar though, told stories on how they wrote their hit songs, and performed them!
Not a dry eye in the house when Leigh told the story about his
pet dog having glaucoma that literally inspired "Don't It Make My
Brown Eyes Blue", and I don't even like the song much otherwise.
('90?) Wish I could "walk right back" to it again.

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes performing at Santa Monica Community College back in the early 80's.
Southside is a terror on stage, the horn section terrific.
Their Sam Cooke medley is inspiring.

The Rolling Stones during the "Steel Wheels" tours when they
mopped Guns & Roses off the stage at the Collesium in L.A.
Mick's singing sounded great and the band was razor tight.
(Guns were very good BTW, just not quite on the same level)

Chris
Old 13th December 2002
Gear Guru

Mother Superior -Abbey Pub Chicago July 2002 The best live band on the planet!

Song X (Orrnet Coleman, Pat Metheny, Charlie Hayden, Jack Dejohnette, Denardo Coleman)-Northwestern University 1984 or 5. Denardo only played (electronic drums) on a few songs. Once he left the set became amazing. I was 14 or 15. My Dad took my brother and me. I remember thinking "I didn't know music could do that !

Cheap Trick -I've seen them a ton of times but I think my favorite show was at the Park West in Chicago in 1995.

Lyle Lovett -Civic Opera house "I love Everybody" tour What a voice, band songwriter and storyteller!

Jack Dejohnette - Jazz Showcase 1995 or so. He played with some "Chicago all-stars" Jodie Christian, Larry Grey, Von Freeman and Ira Sullivan.

Glen Velez -Northern Illinois University 1990. I was a junior in college studying percussion. I was so inspired I went and bought a frame drum that I still use daily during the school year. The man is amazing.

There are so many others these are coming to mind right now. Just thinking of these shows inspires me.
Old 13th December 2002
no ssl yet
NO Laughing now

The best two shows I've ever been to were polar opposites

SADE and KRS ONE

Got some new puzzy after both so I may have clouded visiongrggt
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

Max Roach at the SF Jazz Festival, Masonic Auditorium ('94?)

After finishing a killer set with his quartet, he came out for an encore and setup only his snare drum in front of him. Max proceded to lay down a tune on the snare drum, playing with his brushes. He shaped the sounds coming out of the drum and phrased them so they made complete sense, musically. I wish I could hear that again. Maybe it was recorded.

He must have been 75 years old then, too.

If you don't know who Max Roach is and you think you like jazz, look him up. He is among THE greatest jazz drummers of our time.
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

lots of em......all great....les see...memorable....

jeff beck with bogart and appice and max middleton on keys....

yes on the tales from topograpical oceans tour...sounded like the records and they played for 3 hours

little feat at the civic center in tulsa...great sound and lowell

the summer of 69....each week in order...mountain....chicago...led zep....jimi....the who....traffic
no wonder i was hooked

john hiatt and the goners at the zoo in portland this summer....pure

sons of champlain last year in a small venue....theres a groove machine

the october fest at the portland brewery this year...the austin all-stars....a made up bunch with some of the better young austin songwriters but mostly, for me, lloyd maines playing pedal steel and other stuff....

the sunday jams back in the 70's at cains ballroom in tulsa...a lot of the kings of western swing playing but mostly ,for me....eldon shamblin....rest his soul.....at 60 he was so much better than everybody else......those that ever saw him know what i mean............
Old 14th December 2002
Here for the gear

Rolling Stones
Paul Simon
Aerosmith

All in the past 2 years, cause I have no memory of anything before that!

Joz
Old 15th December 2002
Gear Addict

jeff beck group-orange album-carnegie hall-3rd row;

MY EYES!!! THEY ARE BLEEDING!!!

also:

todd r at wollman skating rink/schaefer fest.

thomas dolby in d.c. for his 2nd album tour

focus/gentle giant- academy of music

ml
Old 15th December 2002
Gear Addict

how could i forget?! XTC at irving plaza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ml
Old 15th December 2002
Lives for gear
David Ruffin at The Strand in Redondo Beach (early 90's)
Sang a song called "Statue of a Man" he wrote when he was 18,
and knocked the audience out! Further goosebumps were raised when all of the surviving members of the Temptations, including Eddie Kendricks did their songs together. Met him after the show
and he said if I wanted to I could stay for the second set (did).

WOW that would be pretty increadible. No one's going to beat that one.
Pearl Jam's last tour in Pittsburg. They brought out the warm up band Sonic Youth for the last couple songs, Eddie Vedder taught them how to play "I got you" from the Spit Endz and "Baba ORilly" on stage and then they just rocked it out.
U2 I don't remember the year but it was the WAR album tour in Cleveland with the place only about 3/4 full and they just rocked. They came back a couple years later after Josua Tree to a STadium packed crowd and it wasn't anywhere close to as good. (not their falt though).
Peter Gabriel the SO tour. It was pretty intense from start to finish.
Ziggy Marley at an outdoor facility in Cleveland in front of a crowd of about 500. What a show.
Old 15th December 2002
Here for the gear

live shows

Jimmy Reed in a North Beach bar two weeks before he died. Smoothest guitar player I ever saw.

Led Zeppelin at St Paul Civic, the Presence tour. One of their last US shows ever.

Little Feat Waiting for Columbus. Sat on stage right in amazement of the Naked Snake hisself.

ZZ Top in a bar in Natchidoches Louisiana 1971

Ronnie Lanes ARMS tour Clapton, Beck , Page, Charlie Watts et al

The B 52s at the Greek LA 6200 people dancing their asses off

Bob Dylan in Duluth MN: 1st time he ever played his home town. I've never heard a louder audience

Too many others to remember: 30 years of mixing live shows!!
Old 15th December 2002
Gear Addict

Van Halen '78 in Medford OR. I was leaning on the stage 4 feet from Eddie.
Rush in Medford '77? leaning against the stage.
Led Zepplin '77 at L.A. Forum.
Queen '70 something at the Forum
'Skynard at the Anehiem Stadium before the crash pressed against the stage durring "Free Bird"
But one of the best performances was David Grisman in Ashland.

I saw so many shows in the 70's I can't remember them all.
Stones, Journey, Nugent, Aerosmith, Calafornia Jam's etc.
Old 15th December 2002

Pink Floyd at Versailles in about '88. We happened to be there being tourists and there they were. Dad scored backstage passes for us much to our amazement.
Old 15th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
Pink Floyd at Versailles in about '88.
I saw the last show of that tour at the Nassau Coliseum (LI, NY). Even without Waters it was an amazing show. A lot of the footage they shot that night ended up in the movie... IIRC some of the Versailles show(s) also. No backstage's for me though, I was under the Pig.heh

Geeeez, was that really 14 years ago?
Old 15th December 2002
Lives for gear

Jimi Hendrix 69-70 New Years Eve -Fillmore East
sixth row helped the presentation as did the 'brown dot' (uh oh) I'm still hearing it too, the recording that is. A showman with passion was his hallmark that night. Unfortunately too few
good live performances from this magician.
Old 15th December 2002
Lives for gear

Prince - Around the World in a day tour, Sign O the Times Tour and Graffitti Bridge tour.

JellyFish- First Album
Old 16th December 2002
Lives for gear

not best, but most interesting...

seeing the post about skynyrd reminded me of the time i saw/met them in dallas. one of the guitar stacks was fritzing on stage during freebird so ronnie did what any singer would do--he slugged the offending cabinet. problem is, stacks are tall and ronnie wasn't and the force of his fist caused the amp-head to fall off the stack--gashing ronnie's head on the way down. it was pretty surreal watching them finish the song while blood streamed down ronnie's face like a something from a bad "slasher movie". everyone in the band thought it was a practical joke at first.

backstage they were laughing and retelling the story over and over...it was obvious ronnie wasn't feeling any pain at the time. a sweet down-home guy. RIP ronnie.
Old 18th December 2002
Best live show I never saw:
Zappa/Beefhart Bongo Fury
I've always loved that album.

Quote:
Originally posted by Henchman
Prince - Around the World in a day tour, Sign O the Times Tour and Graffitti Bridge tour.
Nobodies contradicted anyone's choices so far. I'm about to....in the nicest possible way I hope.
Prince is a f***er. You know he can play his ass off, but every time I've seen him there's been more coreography than music. The biggest crime was watching Sheila E 'playing' along to a synclavier.
The band he had that night could have burned anyone and the audience was in the palm of his hand anyway. What a waste.
I believe he's come to his senses these days and actually plays at the gig and not only at the private party afterward.
Old 19th December 2002
Here for the gear

rabih abou khalil at the new morning, paris, 99 : best live sound and performers,
hancock and headhunters, bataclan, paris, 98 : grooviest one. wonder how it was in the the 70's...
m manson, bataclan 96 : shortest and weirdest one.
einsturzend neubauten, la cigale, paris, 97
young gods, la maroquinerie, paris, 00
Old 19th December 2002
Gear Addict

Best live concert for me was Patty Smith in Florence, Italy,70's...
She came after they just dropped a bomb in Sicily during another concert..
That was hard time in Italy. She had guts. The stadium was packed with over 80.000 people at the end of the night...from all parts of Italy. She played and sung for almost 3 hours. Was really amazing. She did a song with all the light off...Great vibe and very emotional/special night...
Others in jurassic time: The Clash ( what a band...), Bob Marley, Led Zeppellin, Rolling Stones, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Alvin Lee and more...
Old 27th November 2004
Lives for gear

weather report at SDSU. With Jaco/erskine
Old 27th November 2004
Lives for gear

Aus Rotten, Gilman Street - dec 26th 1998
The Criminals, last show Gilman jan 29th, 2000 "Fascists Eat Donuts" for 15 minutes!
Spazz, last show Gilman again 12/2/2000 (seen so many great shows there, too many crap shows too)
Fugazi, Dolores Park SF, June 4th 2000
Pressure point, club Cocodrie several times 2000/2001
Kill Your Idols, Distraught, Several times between 99 and 2001
MDC, Leftover Crack, Tompkins Square park,, 8/5/01

The Residents,, halloween Fillmore 98
Autechre and Guy Called Gerald, may 5th 2001
Squarepusher, Lightship Frying pan, june 22 2001
Sonic Youth, Summer Stage 2002
Old 27th November 2004
Gear Guru

The Tony Williams Lifetime at a club called Ungano's in NYC. The band was Tony on drums, Larry Young on organ, John McLaughlin on guitar and Jack Bruce on bass. I was sitting in the front row, and as I recall there wasn't even a stage. The drums were directly in front of me. My mind was blown.
Old 27th November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by joeq
The Tony Williams Lifetime at a club called Ungano's in NYC. The band was Tony on drums, Larry Young on organ, John McLaughlin on guitar and Jack Bruce on bass. I was sitting in the front row, and as I recall there wasn't even a stage. The drums were directly in front of me. My mind was blown.

WOW
Old 27th November 2004
member no 666

As an audience member... either the Allman Bros. at Fillmore East in like 1971 with Johnny Winter opening... Bruce Springsteen w/ Tom Petty and Peter Tosh at the 'Musician's United for Safe Energy' benefit at Madison Sq. Garden... or any of the Frank Zappa Halloween shows at the Palladium [NYC] in the late 70's... Little Feat at the Orpheum Theatre [Boston] on Halloween [missed a night of Zappa to hitch up with a couple of buddies... amazing show]... Rolling Stones @ CBGB's late 70's [Some Girls era]... Sex Pistols at CB's... 84 Stairs at the Rat in Boston... great ****in' band... never did much commercially but a great show none the less.

Working; Steve Earle's first tour in '87...U2 and/or Guns and Roses all at the Paradise Rock Club [Boston], mixing 'Faith No More' when they opened for the Chili Peppers at the Paradise in the late 80's... 90's... I dunno... watching Aerosmith actually enjoy playing sober before it got into this kinda 'earning a check' thing... or sitting on the runway between the A and B stage during 'arena' tour rehearsals for the last Rolling Stones tour. It was kinda like witnessing a local band rehearsing... except in basketball and football arenas... a little surealistic actually.

There have been some other classics along the way... Boston's first tour... Led Zeppelin's last tour... Pink Floyd for "Wish You Were Here"; "Animals"; "Momentary Lapse of Reason" [working], U-2 "Unforgettable Fire" [guest]; "Joshua Tree" [working], "Zoo-TV" [working guest]... Tac Head w/Adrian Sherwood mixing... damn, it's been a lot of years and a lot of shows...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search