The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Best Live Show You've Ever Witnessed? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 8th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruberto View Post
A couple in the last month:

Sigur Ros. Sensory overload. Some of the best live a/v production I've ever heard and seen. The whole experience was at once larger than life but also strangely intimate and human.

I saw them last month, and it was unbelievable. Fantastic show!
Old 8th October 2013
Lives for gear

1984 Butthole surfers Pine street theater.
I thought I was injected accidentally by acid.
Though I was going to hell a million times.

At times I could not watch any more.
Smoked 20 joints.
Old 8th October 2013
Gear Head

The wall - roger waters at the river plate stadium, Argentina.
Sigur ros - nuits de fourviere, Lyon, France.
Old 8th October 2013
Lives for gear

Recent history? Spiritualized.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Sigur Ros, have seen them twice in Mexico, first show 5 years ago ended suddenyl cause the bateerist was ill.

Yesterday they came back and it totally blown away the crowd.

You can just close your eyes, amazing live sound too his engineer is top notch.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

dbl post
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

godspeed you black emperor

ATP
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrolytic View Post
godspeed you black emperor

ATP
Damn, missed them last year in Bcn. One of those bands you never know if you'll get the chance to see again.
Old 15th October 2013
Deleted User
Pink Floyd, June of 1973, "Dark Side of the Moon" tour.
Terrible acoustics, but the "quad" sound system was a technological marvel back then, and the production was executed perfectly. I swear I saw God that night - drug-free!
More modern...Sting a few years back in Atlanta. Awesome production, great clarity and feel from a relatively little array rig.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Addict

Best I've ever seen. uhm, probably these:

Peter Gabriel upside-down tour in 2004
Feist a few years ago
Sigur Rós last year
Kraftwerk 3D last Friday.

I must say the Kraftwerk concert really blew me away. It was truly awesome! The venue, Evoluon Eindhoven, Netherlands was also an extremely good choice. The building is very beautiful and the acoustics were as perfect as can be. Without a doubt the best sounding concert I've ever heard. After having missed the catalog concerts they performed in the MoMa in NYC I feel extremely lucky to have been able to see these guys live.
Old 1st November 2013
Gear Head
1971 Newport Jazz Festival

What I Saw:
Dave Pike Set
Buddy Rich Big Band
Duke Ellington
Stan Kenton
Freddie Hubbard Quintet
Charles Mingus Sextet
Willie "The Lion" Smith
Eubie Blake
Ornette Coleman Quartet
Dave Brubeck with Gerry Mulligan

WHAT EVERYONE MISSED DUE TO THE RIOTS, aka Allman Brothers Fans Who Ruined The Festival and got it shut down two days early. I still wanna cry 42 years later. Taken straight from the program:

Mary Lou Williams Trio
Jimmy Smith Jam Session featuring Diz, Freddie, Stitt, Mulligan, Jacquet
Rahsaan Roland Kirk and the Vibration Society
King Curtis
Aretha
James Cotton
Buddy Tate
Joe Turner
Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson
T. Bone Walker
The Allman Brothers (with Duane, right before he died)
B.B. King
Ray Charles
Miles Davis Sextet
Phil Woods
Weather Report
Ammons and Stitt
Billy Eckstine
Dizzy Gillespie Quintet
Louis Bellson Orchestra
Cannonball Adderley Quintet
George Shearing Quintet
Herbie Mann
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

I did a string of live gigs at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville NC with a production company back in 2000, Ramsey Lewis Trio was one of the head-liner's. Out of all the band's and act's I worked for that season his group was the best. Just him playing an old upright piano, a drummer & up-right bass player, as far as a basic band goes this was one of the best I've seen and/or worked on.

Seen Kiss in 1989 at the old Cumberland County arena in Fayettville NC, 6 months before Eric Carr died. Best stage act I've seen by far, they where perfect, and put on a very very good show.

Thats two that stick out to me, while I've done a lot of stage production for different act's big and small, I admit, I know lots and lots of people who have been to many more shows than I have over the years.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

i am tempted to list jethro tull's "thick as a brick" or Yes, "Tales from Topographic Oceans", or perhaps the time i saw steely dan when michael mcdonald was part of the group, but...

the most moving and musical performance i have ever witnessed was by the Oregon Symphony in salem, oregon. the guest artist was joshua bell, but the performance that killed me was Janá?ek's Sinfonietta under the baton of carlos kalmar - carlos appeared almost wizard-like as he conducted, coaxing amazing dynamics and emotion from the piece and the orchestra - it was truly a magic moment.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Jeff Beck/ Santana tour a few years ago. Jeff Beck brought the house down and Santana blew the roof off. Oh I forgot, it was an outdoor concert and I was in the 7th row.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

Miles Davis 1987 Strasbourg, 3rd row, a magic night
Prince 1987
Hives 2012
Old 1st November 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post

What I Saw:
Dave Pike Set
Buddy Rich Big Band
Duke Ellington
Stan Kenton
Freddie Hubbard Quintet
Charles Mingus Sextet
Willie "The Lion" Smith
Eubie Blake
Ornette Coleman Quartet

WHAT EVERYONE MISSED DUE TO THE RIOTS, aka Allman Brothers Fans Who Ruined The Festival and got it shut down two days early. I still wanna cry 42 years later. Taken straight from the program:

Mary Lou Williams Trio
King Curtis
Aretha
James Cotton
Buddy Tate
Joe Turner
Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson
T. Bone Walker
B.B. King
Ray Charles
Miles Davis Sextet
Phil Woods
Weather Report
Ammons and Stitt
Billy Eckstine
Dizzy Gillespie Quintet
Louis Bellson Orchestra
George Shearing Quintet
Herbie Mann
Oh man, I'm crying just reading this! What a line up.
Old 1st November 2013
Gear Head

Deadmau5 at umf 2011

Sent from my LG-MS770
Old 1st November 2013
Here for the gear

KD Lang & Siss Boom Bang, London, 2011

Beautiful songs, a great band and inspiring vocals
Old 2nd November 2013
Deleted User
I saw a band play twice -- with no PA -- at the IOTA in Arlington VA, during the year and a half I lived in Washington DC.

The band played with no PA and you could have heard a pin drop. Everyone went shhhh if anybody forgot that the band was playing.

The band was the Asylum Street Spankers.

Could you do it? Play the entire night with no P.A, no mics, only one megaphone so the singer could go loud, as an effect.
Old 2nd November 2013
Deleted User
I saw a band play twice -- with no PA -- at the IOTA in Arlington VA, during the year and a half I lived in Washington DC.

The band played with no PA and you could have heard a pin drop. Everyone went shhhh if anybody forgot that the band was playing.

Could you do it? Play the entire night with no P.A, no mics, only one megaphone so the singer could go loud, as an effect.
Old 2nd November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktadoussac View Post

Been there, done that. Years of street music all around the world, both solo and with a trio. I still prefer it that way.

But the best concert ever had to be James Brown and the Fabulous Flames...
Old 2nd November 2013
Deleted User
Thank the Lord above, Wyllys, someone has got it, the idea that an acoustic guitar sounds better completely unplugged, and a strolling musician -- say a dude with a guitar sounds much better when he's actually singing, not vocalizing into a mic. Yes!
Old 2nd November 2013
Gear Maniac

Best show I ever saw, and I've seen a few, was the Guess Who at Six Flags in St. Louis back in the early 80s. Great show- great band- great time to be alive. I was sitting there (alone) while they did their sound check... AWESOME! !!
Old 2nd November 2013
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktadoussac View Post
Thank the Lord above, Wyllys, someone has got it, the idea that an acoustic guitar sounds better completely unplugged, and a strolling musician -- say a dude with a guitar sounds much better when he's actually singing, not vocalizing into a mic. Yes!

and James Brown too! I see so much stuff posted by people who have obviously never experienced the likes of James Brown live. I'm not an opera fan but a good opera singer unamplified can give me chills just like James Brown did and an occasional unamplified singing guitarist. The same is true of theater. Lose the PA and it takes on a whole different perspective of emotional connection.
Old 2nd November 2013
There's a group making some headway in the Albany area that now goes under the name "The Parlor"-- I saw them at Troy Cloth & Paper sometime last year-- I get the feeling these will be the guys I tell my future grandchildren about-- they're all kind of half-crazy, but in a way that allows them to tap into what's happening in the culture and chart out the direction things will take-- it's uncanny what they do. People who try to describe it are generally at a loss for words. I mean, you can say, "guitar, upright bass, trumpet, incidental percussion," but can you say "my soul has been yearning for quite some time to hear the story they are telling"?
Old 2nd November 2013
Lives for gear

Pink Floyd at the Rainbow in 1972, first time I heard a quad sound system. When someone at the back of the auditorium said ”I've always been mad" we all turned around to see who it was. Lol.
Bob Marley at Hammersmith 1976. Incredible energy, electrifying performance!
Old 2nd November 2013
Deleted User
Hey Bob and Joel, I know both of you, where you're coming from. We've never met, but it's all in knowing what's real.
Old 2nd November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post

What I Saw:
Dave Pike Set
Buddy Rich Big Band
Duke Ellington
Stan Kenton
Freddie Hubbard Quintet
Charles Mingus Sextet
Willie "The Lion" Smith
Eubie Blake
Ornette Coleman Quartet

Mary Lou Williams Trio
King Curtis
Aretha
James Cotton
Buddy Tate
Joe Turner
Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson
T. Bone Walker
B.B. King
Ray Charles
Miles Davis Sextet
Phil Woods
Weather Report
Ammons and Stitt
Billy Eckstine
Dizzy Gillespie Quintet
Louis Bellson Orchestra
George Shearing Quintet
Herbie Mann
This sounds amazing. Even with the cancellation you got to see some AMAZING acts! Eubie Blake, Freddie Hubbard, and Mingus would've been worth the price of admission alone!
Old 3rd November 2013
Gear Maniac

Riverdance, before they messed it up for their "farewell" tour.
Old 4th November 2013
Deleted User
Jordan Officer in Montreal. It was around May or June before he went down to New York City. He's living there now. I admire his guitar playing and it is very interesting to assimilate or at least absorb even a fraction of what he does with his guitar.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search