The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Best Live Show You've Ever Witnessed? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Maniac

The Wall in LA
The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Dream Theater - Scense From A Memory
Rush - 1979 ( I think, they did all of 2112)
Old 30th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaaj View Post
Easy. The Dixie Dregs @1980 at UMKC's Pierson Hall. The drum solo and the guitar cadenza on "Cruise Control" was mindblowing. At that time, I had no idea individuals could play like that, let alone a whole band.
Yup, I saw them that fall at the Coconut Grove Ballroom in Santa Cruz, CA. Amazing, amazing show. It was all bikers and hippies in the audience. The more I saw them over the years, the more the audience was filled with music nerds (i.e., guitar playing guys) and vibe got a lot shallower.

Another great show was the Dixie Dregs rhythm section fronted by Paul Barrere of Little Feat a few years later.
Old 30th August 2012
Lives for gear

Pink Floyd "Division Bell" Tour 1994 in Cologne.
Old 30th August 2012
Foo Fighters hands down!! Lifehouse would have to be a close second.
Old 1st September 2012
Here for the gear
1.Paul McCartney
2.Tommy Emmanuel

Old 1st September 2012
Gear Head

Tool in 2004 for Lateralus, they were at their peek. Tool 2011 at the music bowl in Melbourne, we had front row seats which equated to our personal mosh pit of 20 people on the barrier. MIND BLOWING!!

Also I saw Rage against the machine for the second time in 2008 at the Perth Big Day Out festival. The whole pa system, front and foldback and guitar amps died during the first verse of their first song Testify. Brad kept drumming and Zack kept yelling the words and the whole crowd kept jumping and singing along with them. Everything recovered after that. Every band says your town is their favorite and they'll surely be back next year, but times like that you really know they're gonna remember you.
Old 1st September 2012
Lives for gear

U2 Ruisrock 1982. As a journalist I could even go up on stage and take photos. That's just before they got really big and listening to them at that point I knew they would become big.
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

"Crimson Projekct" opening for Dream Theater about a month ago and I worked it
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Ennio Morricone on his 80th birthday at the Royal Albert Hall in London conducting full orchestra. Absolutely magnificent! Deeply moving experience completely different to a pop or rock gig. A tour de force of 'real' sounds and voices conducted and guided by a living legend. A treasured memory indeed.
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Das Rheingold, Simone Young, Hamburg State Opera and Hamburg Philharmonic. It was great because there was not a PA anywhere, completely unamplified.

PA is the kiss of death for any musical performance, all live sound guys seem to be deaf. So if you still want loud but seriously hifi, I can recommend Wagner.
Old 2nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinslapper View Post
Tool in 2004 for Lateralus, they were at their peek. Tool 2011 at the music bowl in Melbourne, we had front row seats which equated to our personal mosh pit of 20 people on the barrier. MIND BLOWING!!
Oh, yes - after I mentioned Pink Floyd, I was thinking what was the show that came close or on par - definitely Tool 10.000 days tour in Hamburg. Although the sound was far from being perfect at the location but they did the best to make that not matter.
Old 4th September 2012
Lives for gear

Without a doubt the High Llamas on a festival stage in my Bavarian hometown, must've been early 90's. I've seen bands on that very stage for the whole week – even played there myself – and the sound always was godawful.

Now enter those british guys. They had a whole vintage instrument store on stage, and 2 guys behind the desk (plus a Minimoog ).
It sounded like a record, absolutely unbelievable! Not to speak of the tunes: brilliant! Hypnotic! Beautiful!

Kinda changed my life.
Old 4th September 2012
Gear Addict

Graham Parker & the Rumour, Wellington Opera House, 23rd November 1979. Hardest rocking concert I have ever seen.

Packed house and people were dancing in front of the stage after 2 minutes. In fact they danced so hard the floor over the orchestra pit collapsed. Despite that they continued to dance in the pit despite the best efforts of the security guys.

I don’t think they’ve had a rock gig in there since?
Old 4th September 2012
Gear Maniac

Rahzel in Clwb Ifor Bach in Cardiff, around 2002 - sweat dripping off the walls, intimate and mindblowing to see live.
Reef at my student union in 2001 - wicked live band and a fantastic atmosphere
Presidents of the USA at Kentish Town Forum in around 2006 - amazing live band and an abnormally happy mosh pit
Red Hot Chili Peppers at Earls Court, approx 2007 - I lost everyone else I went with for 45 mins of the gig but had an amazing time bopping with strangers!
David Gilmour at Royal Albert Hall for the On An Island tour - amazing band
The Cinematic Orchestra at Royal Albert Hall for the Ninja Tune XX anniversary gigs

Unfortunately I was born a few decades late to be at many of the gigs mentioned in this thread - you lucky (old) gits!
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabby View Post
Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings at the Nokia Theater in LA.
Yes, damn, what a show they did here in Barcelona as well! Funky chicken!
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Ben Harper on his latest solo tour. the best sound i have ever heard (studio or live), the most amazing proformance i have ever witnessed. i actually had a tear or three after talking about how he first met Jeff Buckley, then covering Hallelujah. wow, it blew me away. My wife got us tickets 3 months earlier and hid them from me, i found out a week before the gig. best birthday present ever!
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Queen with my parents in about 1977
AMAZING. I had just started playing guitar and Brian May was my god then.
Close second was Black Sabbath in 1981 with RJD
Old 27th November 2012
Gear Addict
Prince, hop farm, and I've seen him lots but this one was incredible
Arcade fire, Alexandra palace. Neon bible tour. My god I love there records but live its was beyond.
Old 29th November 2012
Gear Addict

Nine Inch Nails, Lights in the Sky in Minneapolis. We got it postponed over 3 months, but it really showed in the polished presentation. Best stage show I've seen.

Both Tool shows I've seen were very good.

My absolute favorite was seeing Kiss on their convention tour. My friend and I sang Cold Gin on stage with them. It was great.
Old 29th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Without a doubt the High Llamas on a festival stage in my Bavarian hometown, must've been early 90's. I've seen bands on that very stage for the whole week – even played there myself – and the sound always was godawful.

Now enter those british guys. They had a whole vintage instrument store on stage, and 2 guys behind the desk (plus a Minimoog ).
It sounded like a record, absolutely unbelievable! Not to speak of the tunes: brilliant! Hypnotic! Beautiful!

Kinda changed my life.
that guy with The minimoog at FOH was a teacher of mine at Gateway in London, late 90's. Del i think was his name, started out as mixer for the Pistols. Sadly the course no longer exists. I joined him on a few gigs when they played with Jim O'Rourke. great unconventional mixer. Learned a lot there.
Old 29th November 2012
Nickelback 2 years ago in Hamburg were pretttyyyy decent. Sound was greaaaaaat !

Iv been to a small gig in paris for a greek band called firewind (check them out, great riffs). The concert was placed in an empty factory building in the "ghetto" of paris (if there is such thing in paris). The sound was great and Gus (Guitarist) is just purely amazing. He also played with Ozzy.
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear Maniac

Steven Wilson on his solo tour this year. This was an 'eighth wonder of the world' performance. I feel like typically you go to a concert and one or two band members stick out skill-wise, and thats why you go see them...on this stage, every where you looked, there was something totally mind-blowing going on. Between nick beggs on bass & chapman stick, to marco minemen on drums, and steven wilson himself...we actually wept during some of the more somber parts. Delirium may have set in at that point though- we did drive 7 hours there & back all in one day, being awake for a solid 29 hours straight.
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearecreative View Post
Steven Wilson on his solo tour this year. This was an 'eighth wonder of the world' performance. I feel like typically you go to a concert and one or two band members stick out skill-wise, and thats why you go see them...on this stage, every where you looked, there was something totally mind-blowing going on. Between nick beggs on bass & chapman stick, to marco minemen on drums, and steven wilson himself...we actually wept during some of the more somber parts. Delirium may have set in at that point though- we did drive 7 hours there & back all in one day, being awake for a solid 29 hours straight.
I was similar impressed by a PT concert I saw in Hamburg a few years ago. Mmmm, Wilson will be in Hamburg next March, reading this I should get myself a ticket...
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Peter Gabriel - (Security tour) at The Warner Theater in DC
Shakti & Weather Report (Black Market tour) at The Kennedy Center
Neil Finn (w/Lisa Germano) at The 9:30 Club in DC.
PFM, Kenso, Mörglbl, Three Friends and Present at NEARfest in Bethlehem, PA.
Old 5th December 2012
Gear Addict

Neville Brothers, Ghent Jazz Festival 2007.

Absolutely fabulous!
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Best performance? The Eagles.

Best show? Avenged Sevenfold nightmare tour in Nashville...or Tool in Vegas

Best sound? Oddly it was this Kansas, Foreigner, Styx show a few years ago
Old 30th April 2013
Lives for gear
A couple in the last month:

Sigur Ros. Sensory overload. Some of the best live a/v production I've ever heard and seen. The whole experience was at once larger than life but also strangely intimate and human.

James Blake in a small(ish) club last night. Wowzers. His records have always been a bit of a mystery to me, but to hear that music come out of a live trio with no sequencing (and only a couple samples & loops) was pretty wild. Great musicians who are bringing very mature and nuanced writing, arranging & performing, especially considering how young they are. I got a chance to chat with James for a bit after the show, very nice fellow.
Old 30th April 2013
Lives for gear

U2 Joshua Tree tour 1988, Eagles Hell Freezes Over, Paul Simon-Most recent tour, Paul McCartney, all in Vancouver.
Old 8th October 2013
Here for the gear

1. PETER FRAMPTON AND BB KING TOGETHER!!!!!!!
2. Stevie Wonder in DC

sorry for the bold but I still get excited thinking about it!

I saw BB King and Peter Frampton at Wolftrap over this summer. Only word that comes to mind is "epic".

Stevie Wonder, i saw a few years ago. I've never seen so many middle to old aged people up and dancing. It was great. Oh, and Michelle Obama was sitting on the tier right below me. The whole time Stevie was hitting on her through the mic, talking about how Barack needs to watch out. Lots of fun.
Old 8th October 2013
Lives for gear

Empire Of The Sun--Nokia Theater, Los Angeles, October 2011
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search