The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Best Live Show You've Ever Witnessed? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

Clarke Boland Big Band at Pori Jazz festival -70 or -71, not a show as such maybe but I / we had good time

Matti
Old 27th February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Clarke Boland Big Band at Pori Jazz festival -70 or -71, not a show as such maybe but I / we had good time

Matti
Wow...that's a band that I've never heard mentioned here or anywhere else for that matter. 'Sax No End'...gotta love it.

Phat, phat sounding band...

Cheers
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

Did some research, actually it was 1969!
-And I was a young art student, get the picture heh

Matti
Attached Thumbnails
Best Live Show You've Ever Witnessed?-1969_clarke_boland_1.jpg  
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

Foo Fighters at Red Rocks. Also my first concert (i try not to count an ex gf dragging me to a bright eyes concert...)
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

Radiohead at Redrocks in June 2001.
Old 28th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Janelle Monae at First Avenue in Minneapolis a couple months ago. An incredible talent. She has so much creative range, and that voice!

Pat Metheny maybe 10 years ago at Northrop in Minneapolis. Great performance, but stands out for just about the best concert sound I can remember hearing... other than some shows that I mixed.
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

The first Peter Gabriel solo tour in 1977 at the Tower Theater in Philly
Killer bandthumbsup The mix sounded like the record...

Miles Davis Tutu tour at the Academy of Music in Philly in 1987. One of my first live sound gigs.

Peace
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

A tie...

Herb Ellis, Barney Kessel and Charlie Byrd at the Great American Music Hall, San Francisco. 70's.

Mark O'Connor's swing trio at the Iridium, NY, 2003.
Old 6th March 2011
Lives for gear

So many....

Metallica on "And Justice..."

Pink Floyd

Nirvana

Neil Young

Broken Social Scene (first tour)

Smashing Pumpkins in a small college hockey arena

early Sonic Youth
Old 25th January 2012
Here for the gear

o.k. I've just read through this amazing thread and think it deserves to re-surface yet again.

I've never worked in music, so my experiences are somewhat limited, compared with most that have posted. Add to that a bloody awful memory and my list will be quite short. My saving grace, I guess, is that I'm an old fart and so have seen some of the greats!

Maybe the first standout was the 2nd Isle of Wight Festival, the year after Woodstock. I was really into Leonard Cohen, so was really looking forward to watching him. By the time he came to play I was so wrecked that I watched only about half of his set, and then decided to walk back to my tent to go and sleep. When I got to the tent and lay down to sleep, the sound of this amazing rhythm section started to build up. It was nothing like I had ever heard before. It was coming from a marquee that was hosting bands that weren't booked for the main event. I will never forget that sound, and if it wasn't Santana, well, I just don't know. The most memorable performance was one evening, curled up in a sleeping bag (as it was bloody cold) and hearing Chicago strike up - spine chilling! 25 or 6 to 4 was simply amazing.

I remember seeing (70's) Al Stewart in a methodist chapel in Liverpool. The p.a. system was crap and intermittent, but he handled it brilliantly and produced a great set.

The legendary violinist Stefan Grappeli performed at the Southport Theatre sometime in the early 70's. I thankfully got to catch it.

I saw James Taylor in Birmingham (U.K.) mid 80's, around the time of "That's Why I'm Here". I just love James Taylor, but he was outstanding. There was supposed to be a break halfway through, and he told everyone that they could go and have a drink or whatever, but he continued with a story about a pig that he used to keep just like a dog, which eventually inadvertantly got poisoned with rat poison. A long story, which I guess was supposed to last the break. The song "Mona" which he followed the story with is dedicated to that pig!

Paul Simon on the Graceland tour (86/87?), again in Birmingham. Another favourite performer, but Ladysmith Black Mambazo - wow! I know it sounds heretical, but I was grateful that Paul Simon was very gracious and allowed them to perform more than him!

Some standouts for performing under duress and winning a crowd over:
These were possibly both at the Isle of Wight - if not another Festival. Tiny Tim getting booed off and cans of coke etc getting thrown at him by a crowd who wanted to see the following band a lot more than him. He soldiered on playing amazing rock 'n' roll standards on his little uke. He got a standing ovation - a very humbling experience. Marc Bolan from T-Rex getting the same treatment from a crowd that thought he had sold out. They all went off and Marc returned with just his acoustic guitar, he played some old Tyrannosaurus Rex numbers and then one of the band came on and played with him, and then one by one they all came back on and ended up playing "Ride a White Swan" and going down a storm!

Can't really recall much between late 80's and late 90's, but a move to the south of France brought me to the Jazz Festivals at Nice and Antibes/Juan-les Pins. I recall seeing John McLaughlin with possibly Shakti. Tabla playing that just blew my mind! I looked forward to seeing Gil Scott Heron (Nice), but he arrived on stage very late and completely smashed. A great disappointment.

More recently (4 yrs ago?)I watched Jamie Cullum who did a great set, making me very jealous when he switched from piano to guitar (which I didn't even know he played), and building up a great performance with the use of a looper.

My most memorable performance, which actually had me crying was Sonny Rollins at Juan les Pins in 2005. For the encores I was right at the front of the stage and could almost touch him. He gave his all, and some more! He was 75 yrs old. The man is a jazz legend. Many years ago I had albums of his going way way back, and for a number of years I just assumed he was dead. To actually listen to him live, and be so close was just magical!

Finally, in 2008, I watched Leonard Cohen again (38 yrs apart!) at the 60th Nice Jazz Festival. I wasn't expecting too much, but he handled his performance very well. I was happy.

I need to get out more!

SteveD.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Mr. Bungle @ The Backroom in Austin, TX in '93 on their Warner's debut tour. Freeking unbelievable! Covers of "The Stroke" and "Pump up the Jam" were virtually unrecognizable yet incredible. I had heard the record and was skeptical that it could be pulled off live. Needless to say the musicianship and overall performance were transcendent, and it stands as one of the greatest shows I have ever been in the presence of.

Jeff Beck/Stevie Ray Vaughn @ Frank Erwin Center Austin, TX '89 Co-headlining tour with SRV as the closer. Both guitarists and their respective bands delivering the goods. Stevie was sober and never sounded deeper or more powerful. Beck was supporting Guitar Shop with Terry Bozzio on drums. Very awesome indeed.

Rush @ Journal Pavilion Albuquerque, NM '07 Snakes & Arrows tour. I was actually the house stage manager, so I had a great perspective on the whole operation and didn't have to lift anything heavier than a walkie-talkie and clipboard. Killer gig. Geddy was really nailing the high notes and the mix was excellent. Ended up with sticks and picks too.
Old 25th January 2012
Sky
Lives for gear

Wow Steve #310, that was awesome! Your description reminds me of another special moment I had forgotten - hearing Passport with Klaus Doldinger at the Roxy in the late 70s. I had discovered the album Infinity Machine just a few years earlier and thought their combination of fusion / jazz / ambient pretty amazing. Their live show did not disappoint. Regards

Sky
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Maniac

For me, it was 2010 Soundgarden show at the ShowBox in Seattle. I was in the 2nd row slightly to the right of Chris.

Soundgarden Beyond the Wheel - YouTube

After such a long break for them, it was so on.
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Kiss during the farewell tour of 2000.

I was working as a stagehand in Atlanta and signed up to work this show, even though I can't stand their music. They more than make up for their crappy rock songs through the use of pyrotechnics, confetti and all of the other crap they do.

Me and my friends were so impressed that we all signed up to work one of the following concerts in Chattanooga just so we could watch it all happen again. The only downside to the following concert was that Ted Nugent opened for them. He played one of his awful songs then started talking about his political views, so we all left the auditorium until he was done.

Edit: However, the best SOUNDING live performance I ever saw was Sigur Ros at the HOB in New Orleans, I believe it was 2003.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Shakti - Remember Shakti II tour in 2001 - I was in goose bumps before they even played the first note - just McLaughlin & Zakir coming on stage was enough... Such presence... also amazing sound, out of this world level of playing, the other two members were masters U.Srinivas on mandolin and Selvaganesh on kanjira - crazy... I was in trance the whole concert and so was anyone I talked to afterwards.

Pat Metheny trio w. Antonio Sanchez and Christian McBride
- space alien "rhythm section" - interaction was out of this world, Metheny played his ass off, when I thought he reached the climax of the solo, he continued to even higher spheres - magic... I was really dissapointed when I saw him with the "Group" a few years later and the sound was not so great which was really surprising for Metheny Group and there was not the same intensity and magic in their still amazing performance

Paco De Lucia - anytime, anywhere I saw his concert - always amazing

Gerardo Nunez - maybe it was because a friend gave me a small piece of space cookie before the show that I tried for the first time in my life and I never smoked that thing either - it was celestial, but I had to go see him in a more ordinary state of mind again in another city just a few days later to check - hear if it is really THAT amazing - and it was - just flamenco guitar on the highest possible level, great compositions, his wife Carmen Cortes dancing (amazing, too) and a great singer/palmero Jesus Mendes - pure

Dälek - the best, most innovative, creative, overwhelming, powerful hip hop act I ever witnessed

David Bowie - 1st Outside tour - master in one of his better late returns - great album, great musicians - he played the whole album and almost two additional hours of all of his greatest hits from the early years - I really felt what is a real rock'n'roll charisma in action

Kraftwerk / 2004 - I appreciated their early albums, their legendary status, but I was not expecting much - what can a few guys behind computers and keyboards do? But I was so wrong - stunning visuals, perfectionist production, they actually play life, it all just worked, also best sound EVER - you could even hear different layers of bass - crystal clear details through the whole range, no annoying midrange or a feeling of fatiguing loudness - yet the sound was so powerful - amazing - I especially remember when there was one point in one song when the beat and basslines were already pumping, but then some subbass spread like a dark wave over the auditorium - amazing what clarity and perfection of sound that was...

Einstürzende Neubauten - 30 Anniversary tour concert in Vienna

I am sure I am forgetting many other great concerts, but that would be in short - ah - also seeing Dawn Upshaw for the first time in a rather small concert hall and among other things singing Britten's Corpus Christi Carol...

Two days ago - a really nice concert of Duran Duran in Vienna - I just had to see my teen idols and they are in great condition - also good new material

Btw - is it me or don't those line array systems sound the same as the older PA technology? Somehow I miss the power of low mids - it's all more loud and clear these days - with more practical set up, but somehow doesn't feel right - I am noticing this on many amplified concerts in the last few years - also jazz... hmmm...
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears2thesky View Post
Mr. Bungle @ The Backroom in Austin, TX in '93 on their Warner's debut tour. Freeking unbelievable! Covers of "The Stroke" and "Pump up the Jam" were virtually unrecognizable yet incredible. I had heard the record and was skeptical that it could be pulled off live. Needless to say the musicianship and overall performance were transcendent, and it stands as one of the greatest shows I have ever been in the presence of.

Jeff Beck/Stevie Ray Vaughn @ Frank Erwin Center Austin, TX '89 Co-headlining tour with SRV as the closer. Both guitarists and their respective bands delivering the goods. Stevie was sober and never sounded deeper or more powerful. Beck was supporting Guitar Shop with Terry Bozzio on drums. Very awesome indeed.

Rush @ Journal Pavilion Albuquerque, NM '07 Snakes & Arrows tour. I was actually the house stage manager, so I had a great perspective on the whole operation and didn't have to lift anything heavier than a walkie-talkie and clipboard. Killer gig. Geddy was really nailing the high notes and the mix was excellent. Ended up with sticks and picks too.
Worked the Beck/SRV show in Philly. I remember Beck was sick as a dog that night (flu) and still played his ass off Great freak'n showheh
Peace
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Two that stand out in my memory

Rush Time Machine tour

Dire Straits On Every Street tour
Old 26th January 2012
Lives for gear

Talking Heads/Merriweather Post Pavilion/Summer 1983. Awesome.

But I am probably prejudice; I was on the crew

D.
Old 26th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
Einstürzende Neubauten - 30 Anniversary tour concert in Vienna
They made me shiver...

25/11 1990, in Leeuwarden. Last show to be ever hold in that theatre, before they took it down.
Blixa & Co took that quite literally.

Worked as a humper on the gig, in the afternoon, and enjoyed the show, but had to leave early to catch the last train back home (was hardy 20yo, no car, no driving lic...)

Another remarkable show was with TMBG in some university town in 1992. (This was the apollo 18 tour) Lights power went down during the show, sound kept going. We rushed about finding out what happened, but the best thing was that it happened during the song "Whistling in the dark"!
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears2thesky View Post
Very nice. The mix was excellent because Brad is an excellent mixer, and a great guy as well. He won the 2011 Parnelli award for Best FOH Mixer. Hooray for the old guys LOL!
Old 27th January 2012
Saw Lettuce, Soulive, George Porter Jr, and Zigaboo Modeliste all do full-length sets, with between-set mini sets by Nigel Hall, Khris Royal, and Break Science in NOLA at the Howling Wolf in '10. Ran from 10pm to 5 in the morning and was like a trip to Mecca for myself and a few of my funk-band mates at the time.
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Max Roach at the SF Jazz Festival, Masonic Auditorium ('94?)

After finishing a killer set with his quartet, he came out for an encore and setup only his snare drum in front of him. Max proceded to lay down a tune on the snare drum, playing with his brushes. He shaped the sounds coming out of the drum and phrased them so they made complete sense, musically. I wish I could hear that again. Maybe it was recorded.

He must have been 75 years old then, too.

If you don't know who Max Roach is and you think you like jazz, look him up. He is among THE greatest jazz drummers of our time.
I went to school with Max Roach's twin daughters. He would give performances at the school auditorium. The first time I saw him do this he came out with just the snare, like when you saw him. He played that thing from top to bottom and didn't miss an inch. I just couldn't believe it. He played the stand and all in the supports and all over the bottom of the snare. It was insane!
When he was done we cheered like mad!
He said the piece was called 'tribute to papa doc' if I recall right.
That blew my mind all over again cause I had no thought anyone could actually write a piece like that. I thought he'd been improvising.
Afterward I went looking for his name and found him in my history textbooks.

Thanks for bringing that out of my memory attic!
Old 28th January 2012
Paul Winter Concert at Finney Chapel in Oberlin Ohio. 1970s

Grateful Dead Concert at Radio City Music Hall on Halloween night. October 31st 1980

Michael Hedges Concert at Finney Chapel in Oberlin Ohio September 1989

These are concerts that stand out in my memory as being AMAZING.
Old 28th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Paul Winter Concert at Finney Chapel in Oberlin Ohio. 1970s

Grateful Dead Concert at Radio City Music Hall on Halloween night. October 31st 1980

These are concerts that stand out in my memory as being AMAZING.
I've a friend in Oberlin College. Oberlin is an haven.
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

Bjork - Sydney Opera House Forecourt a few years ago (2009/2010 I think). Absolutely unforgettable show, by far and away the best gig I've ever been to.

What made it more bizarre was that she was due to perform at the BDO a day or two later, and had to pull out of that show due to a throat infection. If she had it on the night I saw her, she didn't show any signs of it.
Old 28th January 2012
Lives for gear

New England conservatory orchestra, Mahler 9, 2000.
Old 29th January 2012
Gear Nut

Hanoi Rocks in Buffalo, 1984. They only played a few gigs in the US before tragedy struck. They were 22 years old and so different from any other band. An audience of about 15 people, but they rocked hard because it was just in their blood. They couldn't help it. Bought all their records within a week.
Old 29th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I travelled a few hundred miles north of the border, into the Great White North, meeting up with some relatives, to see him at the Edmonton Folk Festival in the same year. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and seeing ! I was totally in awe. One guy, on one instrument, played unconventionally, had the crowd in an absolute trance. Apparently, he was classically trained - but at one point, he was literally attacking his guitar, getting all sorts of percussive harmonics out of it. The crowd *roared*. Simply a-maz-ing.
Old 29th January 2012
Lives for gear

I posted earlier in the thread but I've been inclined to reassess what "best live show" means so I'm amending.

I was in Nashville recently for a few days and heard Michael Logen, Billy Montana, Shelly Skidmore and Kyle Jacobs in a "songwriters in the round" (or similar title, not sure) at the Bluebird. No virtuosity. No bigger-than-life stage personalities. Just an easy intimate personal musical style (that BTW, in keeping with the Nashville mystique, was flawlessly in tune and in time) that made me think, among other things, of why I had wanted to be a musician in the first place. So, at the moment, all things considered, that's the best show I've witnessed.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Live Show You've Ever Witnessed?-bluebird1.jpg   Best Live Show You've Ever Witnessed?-bluebird2.jpg  
Old 29th January 2012
Lives for gear

Magma at the Sunset in Paris some years ago. Marc Ducret at the Duc des Lombards in Paris about 10 years ago. This one was live on the radio but I was in the club. The guy made me give up electric guitar for about three months before I came to my senses LOL
Many more come to mind. Roy Ayers, Sly and Robbie etc. etc.

Also, about 15 years ago, I was in a big shopping mall in some ****ty parisian suburbs when I heard some music coming out of a corner. I got there and in a small room there was a band playing in front of about 30 people. I decided to listen there for a few minutes. The guitarist was Michael Lee Firkins. He was doing some kind of european promo gig tour in shopping malls and other free events. I didn't know the guy at the time. He was totally mind blowing. After two hours of wailing solos and furious boogie, I was totally astonished, nearly senseless... This one nearly gave me a depression LOL
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search