The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bass Amp Mic? Dynamic Microphones
Old 10th December 2002
Lives for gear
Bass Amp Mic?

I'm doing a couple of live recordings soon and I'm wondering what to use on the bass amp. I normally do studio stuff where nobody ever brings amps anymore! One of the bands will be Black Sabbathish and the other will be more Steely Dan Anyway, I'm only prepared to bring certain mics from the studio so here is what's available.
SM58
SM57
SM7
D12 (old one with cable attached)
AKG 300
Octava ML52
Sennheiser 431
CAD 100

That's it. I'll not have time to try different mics so I want to get it right first time. API 3124 pre (if it arrives in time)There will be a D12E on the kick. I reckon the bass player will probably want to here the mic but still if there is time/tracks I'll fire in a Countryman.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10th December 2002
Super Moderator

Hey Daire,

Welcome aboard! And thanks for posting your thoughts.

Based on the mics you have available at your studio, I would pick the following two mics...

Your SM7 & the D12 would work well on the bass cabinet. Try the D12 first.

I'm not familiar with the Octava ML52, so maybe someone else can comment on it's usefulness as a bass cabinet mic.

Since you will not have a lot of time to try different mics out, the D12 & SM7 are "go for" mics. Either way you should also include a bass direct box. The Countryman should definitely be used in conjunction with the mic!

I hope this helped.
Old 10th December 2002
Here for the gear

I've always been a DI bass kind of guy and in recent times have been asked to record DI and Mic'ing the amp!

This case that was given to me Dealt with a rig that was Crossed over and Bi-amp'ed So there was a 1x15 cab and a 4x10 cab with two small horns in it!!! I would go with A D112 on the 15 but how about the 4x10 cab with horns?

Also when Mic'ing a 15" cab is there a sweet spot on the cone and a good distance to place the mic?

Peace
Old 11th December 2002
Lives for gear

D12 (my 1st choice) or a 47 FET... maybe a 57 added if you lack attack of that special 1K area in a Fender P bass. I always DI as well no matter how much the bassist doesn't want to.
Old 11th December 2002
Lives for gear

and make sure the DI is straight off the bass... I always try to avoid the " I have a line out on the bass head" option..

If the cab is Bi-amped, it depens on how many tracks you have to burn, but a DI , the SM7 on the bottom, with an optional SM57 on the top cab should do the trick. If I use the bass Mic, I generally am just looking for the bottm end anyway.. YMMV

Enjoy!
Old 11th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Bass Amp Mic?

Quote:
Originally posted by Daire Winston
I'm doing a couple of live recordings soon and I'm wondering what to use on the bass amp. I normally do studio stuff where nobody ever brings amps anymore! One of the bands will be Black Sabbathish and the other will be more Steely Dan Anyway, I'm only prepared to bring certain mics from the studio so here is what's available.
A lot of it has to do with what the bass amp is. Many times a bassist will have an amp for stage use that is a terrible recording rig. I hardly ever use a bi amped or tri amped bass rig in the studio. To me, those rigs are more for stage use . . . to cut through the wall of sound . . . where would you put a mic for the best bass sound? Of course, in the studio you can use multiple mics or simply put the mic back a bit.

I like an SVT or a B15 for studio use. I guess my point is . . . considering what they are using and if you can find sweet spots bewteen the bottoms / horns etc. . . the D12 may be a good choice. In my view.

btw . . are you splitting the signal? Taking a DI as well? Personally, in the studio, I like an amped bass sound . . sometimes I don't run a DI at all, depends on the kind of music it is and if the player has the proper touch.
Old 13th December 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Dog BBQ
This case that was given to me Dealt with a rig that was Crossed over and Bi-amp'ed So there was a 1x15 cab and a 4x10 cab with two small horns in it!!! I would go with A D112 on the 15 but how about the 4x10 cab with horns?
The last time I ran into a rig like that I had an SM57 on the 10" and I forget what I used on the 15", maybe a D112. Either way I know I used mostly DI in the mix with a little bit of the 57 for slice. Bi-amping sucks for the studio. It can be great if the player knows how to set up their rig but that's pretty damn rare.
Old 13th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Of things not so common, a friend of mine uses an AT 4060 (tube cardiod) on his Eden cab that capures the higher notes quite nicely...

Along with the direct out (62" p-bass) into an Averill 1272, he gets some silky tones (he's also a great player though)...
Old 16th December 2002
Lives for gear
After all my good attentions, I ended up using the Countryman DI into an API pre. Another guitar player turned up at the last minute so I needed a channel for him! I had only catered for 16 tracks.
The gig was good fun. The band were good hard rock, (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath etc.) so it was different for me. I was really happy with the recording. I thought I'd give you guys an idea of the set up.

Pro Tools HD
Personus Digimax 8 channel pres, with A/D option on toms, overheads, hihats and one guitar cab.
API 3124 pres on kick, snare, bass di and Marshall cab.
Massenburg (4) pres on two vocals and AKG 300s on audience
Mackie 1202 for monitoring on headphones
One large case with mics, leads and stands.

The only things the band had miked were the vocals which were plugged into their mixer on stage so I just used Y-leads to split these. My reasoning for not using active splitters was that once the vocalist had settled on his level, it would probably remain much the same. I would not do this again however, and I will be on the lookout for a high quality splitting solution after Christmas.

On a seperate note, I used a Rode NT4 on the drum overheads and it worked really well. It was a typical heavy metal drummer with LOTs of drums and cymbals. The Rode did a great job. I'm waiting for the oppertunity to try it in the studio.

I'll brobably try re amping the bass when the Little Labs phase adjuster arrives tomorrow. The DI was good but I noticed at the gig that the bass needs to shake the floor.

Cheers,

Daire
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search