The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , ,

Transferring audio files from an HD24 to a computer Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Maniac

i got my files to my pc via the hd24 tools, thanks for the tip! problem is the tracks are skipping. i opened the files in adobe audition and adobe premiere elements and when playing the tracks it plays for a half second then skips like a scratched cd.... i've tried changing buffer settings and messed with sample rates. can anyone help me with this? thanks...
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Sounds like the file is damaged. Recommend the author of the HD24 Tools as an expert in repairing damaged HD24 files.
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Maniac

the files play fine in the alesis?
Old 28th October 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
Sounds like the file is damaged. Recommend the author of the HD24 Tools as an expert in repairing damaged HD24 files.
Richard, all due respect but as you stated you had given up on HD-24 a long time ago...

I have never encountered any corrupted files using HD 24 tools for transfers and I have been using it for years with well over 100 downloads.

As a regular user of the HD-24 still....How big are your files? How many tracks?
Which Audition are you using? If you are not on CS5.5 or CS6 then I would suspect yo have a RAM problem. AA3 can only utilize 4GB of RAM. Not really enough for it to deal with large track counts & file lengths at the same time.

I also use Audition regularly and even with CS5.5 I have experienced skipping when my track/Buss count gets in the 50 range, IF I am dealing with a whole concert.

If on AA3 with an XP OS maybe you could work shorter length tracks? Let us know the answers to the above questions and maybe I can help
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostrangler View Post
Richard, all due respect but as you stated you had given up on HD-24 a long time ago...

I have never encountered any corrupted files using HD 24 tools for transfers and I have been using it for years with well over 100 downloads.

As a regular user of the HD-24 still....How big are your files? How many tracks?
Which Audition are you using? If you are not on CS5.5 or CS6 then I would suspect yo have a RAM problem. AA3 can only utilize 4GB of RAM. Not really enough for it to deal with large track counts & file lengths at the same time.

I also use Audition regularly and even with CS5.5 I have experienced skipping when my track/Buss count gets in the 50 range, IF I am dealing with a whole concert.

If on AA3 with an XP OS maybe you could work shorter length tracks? Let us know the answers to the above questions and maybe I can help
i just deleted the files that didn't work and re transfered doing nothing different other than keeping my hd from the alesis connected to the usb of my pc and it worked this time. now i have a different issue in adobe premiere elements 10. the video won't show up so i can visually see it. thats a thread form another place though. for the record im using an ancient version of audition. its 1.1 and running on windows 7. 8 tracks and about 45 minutes long. pc is pretty new and beefy as hell, should be any issues with ram or anything else pc related. think i have 16 gig of ram if memory serves..... anyways thanks for your post..... matt.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostrangler View Post

Good for you. But so many of us have had problems, that there is a body of experience and tools and experts in repairing faulty HD24 (and other) audio files. The dates of my experience with HD24 are immaterial to the facts.
Old 1 week ago
Hope its alright that I bring this old thread back to life. But there seem to be a lot of valuable info in here so it makes since to continue in the same spot for future reference.

So using HD24 Tools would convert the files to WAV without too much hassle it seems. But would it also work the other way around, say if I recieve a project in WAV and want to mix it on my analog console using the HD24 to send it to my desk?
Asking cause I'm thinking of getting two HD24 to easily be able to digitize 24 track tapes for costumers who cant afford 2" tape or just want to mix elsewhere.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmJetGuitar View Post
Hope its alright that I bring this old thread back to life. But there seem to be a lot of valuable info in here so it makes since to continue in the same spot for future reference.

So using HD24 Tools would convert the files to WAV without too much hassle it seems. But would it also work the other way around, say if I recieve a project in WAV and want to mix it on my analog console using the HD24 to send it to my desk?
Asking cause I'm thinking of getting two HD24 to easily be able to digitize 24 track tapes for costumers who cant afford 2" tape or just want to mix elsewhere.
Yes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

In the 5-6 years I had an HD24XR, I found I had to verify file transfers as one would occasionally fail to transfer some of the tracks, or would start writing zeros halfway through, little fatal errors like that. I could never assume a transfer was successful without manual verification. I also found transfers at 88K2 and 96K were much more prone to errors, perhaps later revisions of HD24 Tools corrected that problem. I sent them a number of error reports over time.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I worked with HD24 files from 2002 and up-graded to HD24x a few years later. When Alesis went broke and the new management abandoned most every thing I liked about their products I switched over to a Computer based DAW and used an RME PCI interface (HDSPe pci) with the appropriate dongle and connectivity to accept the light pipe ADAT transfer from the HD24 files. The ADAT transfer system was developed and optimized to efficiently do the task that the op needs. All of the alternative transfer protocols are less effective in use that the original Alesis ADAT transfer to RME HDSP. I have great respect for the on going efforts to support HD24 use however their task is made very difficult by the tight fisted ownership of the original protocols.
Hugh
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

One could always use the RME ADAT to USB box. It makes a good transfer unit for HD24 recordings.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

In my ~10 years of owning an HD24XR, my preferred method of file transfer has been simple...real time with an M Audio Lightbridge. It really doesn't take all that long IMHO. But these days I really only use it for remote sessions as converters or for tape transfers.
Old 1 week ago
I have the FST drive caddie here, works fine. It takes about 20 seconds to transfer a 5 minute 24 track song.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search