The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

TASCAM X48 / is it stable now ? and does it sound like Radar 24
Old 2nd March 2008
Gear Addict

Question TASCAM X48 / is it stable now ? and does it sound like Radar 24

Hello all Gearslutz people

Is the TASCAM X48 stable now ? and does it sound as good or better than a Radar 24

Any comments from owners or users out there?

Cheers
Old 2nd March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN View Post
Hello all Gearslutz people

Is the TASCAM X48 stable now ? and does it sound as good or better than a Radar 24

Any comments from owners or users out there?

Cheers

Radar has way better convertors than the Tascam. It sounds alot better than the Tascam
Old 2nd March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
Radar has way better convertors than the Tascam. It sounds alot better than the Tascam
Have you compared them?
Old 3rd March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjellybean View Post
Have you compared them?
on the net
Old 3rd March 2008
Lives for gear

What? With MP3 files? Not a very accurate comparison. Although I would assume the Radar is the better sounding unit, I wouldn't positively say so without an accurate comparison.
Old 3rd March 2008
Lives for gear

Just to fan the flames a bit...if it sounds better with an mp3 comparison wouldn't the difference be even more dramatic in real life?
Old 3rd March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDingo View Post
Just to fan the flames a bit...if it sounds better with an mp3 comparison wouldn't the difference be even more dramatic in real life?
Not a valid comparison since there would be too many variables.
Old 3rd March 2008
Gear Addict

Who cares about converters and which ones are better? Other parts of the boxes make much more difference. How many times does this have to be said? Sheesh people, the MX2424 had top of the line AKM converters when it came out as well as a boat load of "high-end" opamps, coupling caps, etc. It sounded like CRAP. I changed my converters to the newest ones AKM had, only one generation apart, changed the opamps to the newest and fastest available and the box STILL SOUNDED LIKE CRAP. I hard wired the system and monitored through the inputs straight to the outputs which sounded GREAT, but when playing back the thing sounded like I had two towels over each monitor. Obviously the software had a lot to do with how the thing sounded and was surely the weak point of the unit. The actual converter ICs are so perfected these days that any of the better makes and models will work and sound very similar. The analog circuitry feeding them makes much more difference as does the bitstream processing that is done after them than the converters themselves.

Oh and just because of so much trouble that MX2424 put me through, I would never buy a Tascam product ever again let alone even considering testing/comparing anything they make.
Old 3rd March 2008
Lives for gear

HD24XR with Jim Williams Audio Upgrades mods is what you're looking for.
Old 28th March 2008
Here for the gear

Not Stable x-48

I`got my x-48 about 3 weeks ago and i have "big time" trouble with the machine. If i try to edit any recorded track the x-48 freezes, and i have to restart the machine. There`s impossible to zoom realy close in on a track.
I have tried to send mails to Tascam support in Germany but they say that they can`t help me out here and tell me to contact the Norwegian distributor. What kind of a anwere is that?
The machine was bought secondhand on eaby and came from USA and the Nowegian distributor dont like that.
I have tried to put in new memory and HD and it still won`t work.
I have software 1.04.
Can anybody help me out on this, or am i the only one with this problems?
Old 29th March 2008
Gear Addict

It sounds broken to me. I'm not seeing any problems like that. I'd send it in for service.
Old 29th March 2008
Lives for gear

Check Steve Remote's forum....
Old 29th March 2008
Lives for gear

x-48 was dead before it was born.
Period.
Why in high end forum

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search