The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , , ,

Live From Daryl's House Dynamic Microphones
Old 10th September 2013
Super Moderator

Thanks, Peter!

This is an invaluable thread discussion and I (we) appreciate your time and efforts in keeping this thread active.
Old 11th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
I don't ever do that but sometimes id guess that one of the band members might be doing it who is always getting stuff from companies. Anything in particular you wanted to know? I might remember what was used.

I only use gear because it works for what i am doing and the sound im trying to achieve. Many companies send me stuff to try out and i always work with them to give valuable feedback on the products, even if i dont end up using it.... Im always game to try new gear. Many of the companies will offer stuff to keep using on the show or at a good rate thru dealers.......i only end up using proven stuff cause i dont get sound checks and i rarely get a 2nd take.

The best thing i like about doing this blog is:
You can read posts about gear, sound & techniques till the cows come home, but when you can see & hear the gear in action, it rules out a good portion of my opinion, the sounds dont lie...... So if you like what you hear, you know how it was captured.
I wish i had this experience when i was learning to record.

I hope it helps people and im happy to pass on what i have learned over the years.
I thought maybe there was a newly initiated policy about displaying brands because of what I have observed. My theory was that Eliot got slapped by Hammond for playing something else or you guys agreed to not displaying NORD because of some agreement with Brand XYZ.

Not judging or making any normative statement at all. I am just looking for insights into how the industry or agreements with Live From Daryl's House that might shape the way you are able to show video of the act in progress.

Again, it is one of the best produced shows on TV imho, and I dont watch tv much. There are only a couple that compare and yours sounds the best to my ears....thanks again.

Peter, you are one of the most generous people I have found on GS, with respect to the details you have taken your time to share, and the overall insights and knowledge you have freely posted on this thread. Your knowledge per post ratio is tops. Thanks for that.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJohnGalt View Post
I thought maybe there was a newly initiated policy about displaying brands because of what I have observed. My theory was that Eliot got slapped by Hammond for playing something else or you guys agreed to not displaying NORD because of some agreement with Brand XYZ.

Not judging or making any normative statement at all. I am just looking for insights into how the industry or agreements with Live From Daryl's House that might shape the way you are able to show video of the act in progress.

Again, it is one of the best produced shows on TV imho, and I dont watch tv much. There are only a couple that compare and yours sounds the best to my ears....thanks again.

Peter, you are one of the most generous people I have found on GS, with respect to the details you have taken your time to share, and the overall insights and knowledge you have freely posted on this thread. Your knowledge per post ratio is tops. Thanks for that.
No not at all. Ive never had a company say "don't use XYZ products" because most people that work for gear companies are musicians too and they know that you have to use what works sometimes. Eliot is a real GearSlut and loves trying new stuff, also because he makes his own albums and does lots of shows outside of LFDH too, and his live show is way cool! He has a really amazing way of playing solo but having a full backing band without just playing a karaoke track.

I bought & used QSC speakers because they won a shootout on the set. Once that happens, i feel comfortable talking to the people at the company and getting involved with them ***** --->>>more so so i can help with future products<----****......as much as we all like comp gear, we can afford to buy what we need. Its way more satisfying to help influence the next products that we can use on set/stage/studio.
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

Hey All,

Wanted to update you on whats going on as of 12/13.
We just finished filming the start of next seasons shows. So much great music & food & fun.

It true gearslutz fashion i wanted to share with you all my new find of a indispensable tool that I'm now using on the show, and ANYONE who records using more than one microphone at a time should have for their DAW.
Its a plugin called "AutoAlign" from "SoundRadix".
The difference in low end definition & punch is amazing and was not possible before this plug in with out spending considerable time trying to time align and figure out phase issues.

If you record & mix live music or with multiple mics, you'll love this plug. Also the Surfer Eq plug in is truly a unique tool too that i found extremely useful on bass guitar and other stuff at times too.
No endorsement, i bought it after trying the demo based on how good it works. You'll hear it on all future episodes and I'm sure you'll hear how much extra punch & definition I'm getting now after using it.

Download the demo and see if it works for you as well as its been working for me……

And I'm really excited also about UA AAX plugin support! Now I'm ready for PT11 full time very soon! Sonnox is full AAX as well too…….Its almost like Christmas!! (really)

New episodes should start in Jan 2014……. Buckle up!
Old 13th December 2013
Gear Guru

Thanks for the update Peter, the shows sound so good already, hard to believe you could make it sound even better!

Can you tell us any of the artists that will be joining Daryl, or too soon to spill the beans?
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

Peter, do you use, or would it be possible to use the auto-align live?
Old 13th December 2013
Pete, we want to see a second side production where you focus on YOU during a show. It would be great to see how you incorporate certain elements live, and others at mix time.

I have been using a hybrid system for live shows for a while, and even though I think there is room for improvement most of the people that comment on my technique tell me the mix sounds "cd like" in a way most live shows never do. I have to rely on musicians modifying their performance technique a little bit, but in the end the result is a mix that feels like music rather than separate pieces put together.

I am looking at even demoing an Apollo system as a live rig, even though I'd like to see some more flexibility from the console. If the mean time, waves multirack has been invaluable to me, although I feel the Waves tools are limiting my ultimate result some. I'm super curious what processing methods are using during the performances to give the musicians the magic while they perform.

BTW, thanks for the sound radix tip. I will try both of those. I have found ibp to be useful for phase alignment, but usually find a simple phase flip gets me most of the way there anyway so I'm curious to see how much more these others tools can get you.
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

+1
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
Peter, do you use, or would it be possible to use the auto-align live?
i don't think so due to it needing delay compensation.
But definitely on live recorded tracks!….. Try the demo and see. Use it on drums and set your main kick mic as the send. You'll be surprised at the results. Also try using the snare as the send against the overheads.
Just experiment and see the improvements you will get.
Big difference here.
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Thanks for the update Peter, the shows sound so good already, hard to believe you could make it sound even better!

Can you tell us any of the artists that will be joining Daryl, or too soon to spill the beans?
Ill spill the beans on one of them…..
Attached Thumbnails
Live From Daryl's House-me-billy-g.jpg  
Old 13th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
I get only this:
Quote:
This content is currently unavailable
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I get only this:
i fixed it……….

Here's the work in progress on the new LFDH Club thats in progress! Sounds amazing too!
Eric Smith the President of Auralex came to help me sort out the needed treatment that will go in soon. Lots of warm, solid & lively Pine, Oak & other woods over 100% of the room.
All sorts of Gearslutty stuff will be used too!
I hope to see many artists using our new place to do their own version of LFDH, i and our team of people will help you get your show off the ground, including hosting/streaming if needed.
I wanna make this a co-op of music where we all can start a new wave of music & entertainment for the collaborative web savy musicians that have vision.
(and of course killer LFDH approved food & bar too!)
Attached Thumbnails
Live From Daryl's House-lfdh-club-12-13.jpg  
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

amazing Peter - you guys are seriously on a roll!
That new room doesn't look very high. What's the height of it and are you not afraid of the reflections from the ceiling?
Old 14th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Wow, that is an interesting collaboration! Can't wait to see it.
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
amazing Peter - you guys are seriously on a roll!
That new room doesn't look very high. What's the height of it and are you not afraid of the reflections from the ceiling?
Its about 12.5' over the stage where i had them open up the ceiling/roof. The rest of the place is 9.5'
Where i am loosing the height from Daryl's old house, i gain by not having 2 walls right next to Daryl & the guest.
One of the biggest problems for me has always been the guest vocal mic since the position is not only right next to the drums & a window, but also under the balcony/walkway. The guest mic is basically also a drum ambience mic too because if i turn it down too much the whole drum sound changes.
Ill try to post an example of that mic bleed for the curious.

Ive spent so many years recording in "not ideal" situations and it has made me the type of engineer that has lots of ways to deal with challenging sound situations. Thats why i started this blog, so i could pass along as many things I've learned for people that are in the similar situation…. Something i wish i had when i started doing this as a kid.
Trial & error on your own part is still the best teacher, but also referring to other peoples experiences can be a big help as it often confirms what you may be dealing with yourself as well.
Old 14th December 2013
Lives for gear

Cool...the dude from Duck Dynasty!!! I didnt know he could sing!!!

Seriously though....this will be very cool. Cant wait to hear the new room as well. Thanks for sharing Peter.
Old 8th January 2014
Gear interested

Thanks again Peter for all the great info and advice. I am finally getting to put a lot of it to work. I found a space to set up my studio in a back room at a friend's music store. It was primarily for me to work on my music but were going to open it up to our friends and other local musicians .. kind of a small, local LFDH here in Rifle CO. It is small, maybe 14' x 20' (8' ceiling) w/ drums at the far end facing the players/singers at the other end .. maybe 8' between .. so we'll have the same bleed issues you do. For straight recording, I will put headphones on everyone and guitar amps in closets, bass straight in. That should minimize bleed except for vocals which I may have to re-record. We set up the drums and mic'd them and they recorded very nicely w/ my 24.4.2 into my Mac Mini, so the room is tolerable, sound wise. We'll see what happens when I get everyone in there ..

For live jam recordings w/ video I'll have to setup monitors, I have 2 QSC K10s, and was wondering if I should try raising them on stands or platforms closer to the singers so I don't have to crank them as much (more bleed concerns). I notice yours are on the floor. I may keep the drummer in cans for now.

We'll have a mix of Country, Classic Rock, Folk/Acoustic, and Metal. The Metal is the one I most worry about as it often lacks dynamics ... lots of volume, little "space" and may be more than the room, or I, can handle.

Thanks .. and btw, we're just having Pizza (no kitchen here)
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashburn View Post
Thanks again Peter for all the great info and advice. I am finally getting to put a lot of it to work. I found a space to set up my studio....
Thanks .. and btw, we're just having Pizza (no kitchen here)
Thats fantastic sounding! Embrace the the bleed asap and learn that it's part of the sound that makes music sound "Alive". The moment i opened up more of the mics (but spent time adjusting phase while mixing) the better it all became.
Looking forward to watching what you're cooking up.
Did you get a pizza oven? Or Stone? or just delivery.....
~ Peter
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Hey All.....
Well we are back posting shows, and not without some problems with the new streaming...

Been on the phone for past few days trying to get it worked out and its gonna get fixed at the top of the week i hope.

we are having a region problem with people outside the USA not being able to watch and also no mobile browser support.
Also the audio got re-encoded somehow by the new streaming and its not at all correct sounding......

I just wanna say.
We are NOT going to a paid model.
We are NOT going to start showing ads or commercials
We are NOT going to Limit regions where people can view
We WILL support mobile & Tablets and all major browsers
Nothing will change from our previous form factor, just new artists & shows and new channels on TV to watch it.

This is just a technical glitch in the new broadcast model that we have to work thru...... I apologize and am just as upset for not being 100% perfect when we started this season.
Don't worry, nothings gonna change except your taxes!
Thanks for your support!...... I gotta get back to work now. ~ Peter
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Guru

Peter, does Daryl just fund this thing and keep it going with his own cash then?

Not that it would surprise me, he seems like a really great guy that wants nothing more than just to keep the music alive.
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Nut

Best thread ever, love the show, thank you thank you thank you. I also would love to see the sound engineer and even camera operators featured. Keep up the good work and pass our thanks on to DH. Peace.
Old 19th January 2014
Gear Guru

Just watched the new episode with Billy Gibbons. Wow, fantastic! One of the best yet.
Old 19th January 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Today is the release of the show with Cee Lo Green......... one fantastic singer/songwriter/person. He blew us all away.

Also i was stoked that the new Miktek PM9 handheld vocal mics (as well as all the other Miktek mics) worked as well live as they do in the studio.
In fact the PM9 helped me with a problem i was having in the corner of the room where the guest usually is. You see, in that position in the room, i get so much "everything" back into the guest mic, specially drums since they are so close and the corner really amplifies it even more with the overhang. The PM9 has a super tight pickup pattern, but does not suffer from sounding to nasally when the pattern is so tight, in fact the PM9 has a wonderful low end for voice and the gain before feedback is fabulous!
Take a listen to the show and see how Cee Lo sounds (also the BV's)
Hi Peter,

I was wondering if you were still using the PM9 and if you've tried it against, say, a Beta 87a. I've been doing a video series recently, having bands perform in a unique space, and of course I'm having difficulty with vocal mics. The Cee Lo did indeed sound excellent.

Thanks for documenting everything here at GS, and I'm really looking forward to watching the Billy Gibbons episode this week.
Old 19th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
i don't think so due to it needing delay compensation.
But definitely on live recorded tracks!….. Try the demo and see. Use it on drums and set your main kick mic as the send. You'll be surprised at the results. Also try using the snare as the send against the overheads.
Just experiment and see the improvements you will get.
Big difference here.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad180 View Post
Hi Peter,
I was wondering if you were still using the PM9 and if you've tried it against, say, a Beta 87a.
Yes, i still use the PM9's on vocals. I have not used a Beta 87a ever, just a 87 a long time ago (not on the LFDH show, Mariah Carey live vocal mic). Im very happy with the PM9's cause i like the way i can get vocals to stand out of the mix with a bit more ease and the proximity effect of the mic is very even.

I'd love to say i had the chance to spend time to try out vocal mics with artists while we are recording the show, but that just not even a remote possibility.... the flow of the show is VERY important and doing something like auditioning mics on people is a vibe killer.
I spend time outside of it all listening to mics. My friend Rich Tozzoli & I have spent many a days listening to all sorts of mics...... And logging the data in my brain so when its time to record, i have many ideas what NOT TO USE. I'll always ask the guest if they have a mic that they like to use too.

One very important piece of advice i can give people is "making mistakes & knowing what is wrong" is often MORE IMPORTANT than knowing whats right in production. When we all start to record any audio, more often than not, YOU ONLY GET ONE SHOT...... So this is where experience comes in, and knowing what NOT TO USE is just as important as WHAT TO USE. Knowing what roads NOT to go down will get you to your destination much faster.
I hope that all makes sense.

Summary:
Find a singer to sing using all your available vocal mics and record it and make some notes about the qualities of each mic........ Then work with them in some stage monitors too to see if they cause any trouble and have good gain before feedback.
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Peter, does Daryl just fund this thing and keep it going with his own cash then?

Not that it would surprise me, he seems like a really great guy that wants nothing more than just to keep the music alive.
It started for many years with his money, then we got U-Line as a sponsor..... Now we just started with another company.....Hence the problems!

Tomorrow I'm gonna start getting pissed off because the technical glitches not only shouldn't have happened, but it should have been fixed by now!
This is what happens when you have to let any part of the process taken over by others that might not care as much as you do.

Almost 7 years of 99% trouble free / commercial free shows and I'm not gonna stand for anything less anymore if i can help it, we've all worked too hard and i don't want our audience to loose faith.

We've got a bunch of show in the can and filming more next week!
Old 20th January 2014
Weren't you using KSM9s for vocals before? Along with the AKG 535EB, and Audio Technica AE5400 it's one of my favorite stage vox mics ever.
Old 20th January 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Yes, i still use the PM9's on vocals. I have not used a Beta 87a ever, just a 87 a long time ago (not on the LFDH show, Mariah Carey live vocal mic). Im very happy with the PM9's cause i like the way i can get vocals to stand out of the mix with a bit more ease and the proximity effect of the mic is very even.

I'd love to say i had the chance to spend time to try out vocal mics with artists while we are recording the show, but that just not even a remote possibility.... the flow of the show is VERY important and doing something like auditioning mics on people is a vibe killer.
I spend time outside of it all listening to mics. My friend Rich Tozzoli & I have spent many a days listening to all sorts of mics...... And logging the data in my brain so when its time to record, i have many ideas what NOT TO USE. I'll always ask the guest if they have a mic that they like to use too.

One very important piece of advice i can give people is "making mistakes & knowing what is wrong" is often MORE IMPORTANT than knowing whats right in production. When we all start to record any audio, more often than not, YOU ONLY GET ONE SHOT...... So this is where experience comes in, and knowing what NOT TO USE is just as important as WHAT TO USE. Knowing what roads NOT to go down will get you to your destination much faster.
I hope that all makes sense.

Summary:
Find a singer to sing using all your available vocal mics and record it and make some notes about the qualities of each mic........ Then work with them in some stage monitors too to see if they cause any trouble and have good gain before feedback.
Peter,

Thank you for the feedback. My project is on a much smaller scale (a total of 8 inputs and a modest selection of microphones), but the information you share here is invaluable. I'll probably schedule a test session soon so that I can experiment without cutting into production time.
Old 21st January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
It started for many years with his money, then we got U-Line as a sponsor..... Now we just started with another company.....Hence the problems!

Tomorrow I'm gonna start getting pissed off because the technical glitches not only shouldn't have happened, but it should have been fixed by now!
This is what happens when you have to let any part of the process taken over by others that might not care as much as you do.

Almost 7 years of 99% trouble free / commercial free shows and I'm not gonna stand for anything less anymore if i can help it, we've all worked too hard and i don't want our audience to loose faith.

We've got a bunch of show in the can and filming more next week!

Instead of a sponsor, maybe you could compile some LFDH greatest hits records and sell them. You know, the best of season one, season two, etc. I'd buy em'!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search