The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , , , ,

Who are the oldest running remote trucks in the world today?
Old 28th February 2008
Super Moderator

Talking Who are the oldest running remote trucks in the world today?

The title says it all.

With all these remote audio, video and satellite trucks up for sale (or auction) these days I wanted to give serious kudos to all the trucks worldwide that are still around and growing today.

When it comes to mobile unit production ventures it's truly a different mindset these days. Anyone still doing it after 20 years is serious business, but...

I believe the oldest remote recording business in North America is Malcolm Harper's Reelsound Recording Remote Truck.

Who are the old timer's that are still around and kicking?

Rules for making this list:
You (they) have to be the original owners, still in operation today and at least 30 years old to date.

Old 28th February 2008

Le Studio Mobile out of Montreal

29 years of excellent recordings in the old truck!
Guillaume Bengle just built a new truck, we put it into action a few weeks ago in Fredericton during the East Coast Music Awards weekend.
It is a great package!
2 x DM 2000, Nuendo 4 (128 tracks), SX 48 backup, TC 6000, K & H 5.1 monitors, 42" Panasonic Plasma all on a 2008 Peterbuilt chassis.

lestudiomobile.com
Old 28th February 2008
Super Moderator

Exclamation Hey, 29 is the 30!

Brian,

Excellent news...

In another few minutes it will be 30 years of excellent recordings!
Old 29th February 2008
Super Moderator

Brian,

Update:
I just looked at Guillaume Bengle's Le Studio Mobile website and noticed that the website states they are in business for nearly 25 years.

The website has a 2007 copywrite mark so they could be 26 years old by now.
In any event, he's a really cool guy.

Now, who are the 30 something remote trucks out there in the world of remote?
Any body else want to chime in and let us know who you are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Postman View Post
29 years of excellent recordings in the old truck!
Guillaume Bengle just built a new truck, we put it into action a few weeks ago in Fredericton during the East Coast Music Awards weekend.
It is a great package!
2 x DM 2000, Nuendo 4 (128 tracks), SX 48 backup, TC 6000, K & H 5.1 monitors, 42" Panasonic Plasma all on a 2008 Peterbuilt chassis.

lestudiomobile.com
Old 29th February 2008
Gear Nut

Record Plant Remote

Kooster's truck has been in operation since '71, so at 37 years it would have to be one of the oldest around, tho it's been rebuilt but it still has some of the original in it.
Old 29th February 2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by "DB" View Post
Kooster's truck has been in operation since '71, so at 37 years it would have to be one of the oldest around, tho it's been rebuilt but it still has some of the original in it.

No doubt Dave, but I'm talking original owners of remote recording companies that are still in operation today.
Not the truck, but that is still an amazing thing all in it's own!!!

What year did Kooster win the bid on the white truck?
I was at the auction too, but forget the year.
Old 29th February 2008
Gear Nut

I believe that "Le Mobile" is also another oldy being on the road for more than 25 years. Guy Charbonneau has been around since the 70's : He recorded Frampton comes alive! He is also from Montreal like Guillaume.
jf
Old 1st March 2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiovv View Post
I believe that "Le Mobile" is also another oldy being on the road for more than 25 years. Guy Charbonneau has been around since the 70's : He recorded Frampton comes alive! He is also from Montreal like Guillaume.
jf

Yes, Guy was doing his thing in Montreal in the 70s then moved to the (East coast)States in the early 80s then moved out to the West coast after that.

From what I recall “Frampton Comes Alive!” was captured in at least four locations, two in NY and two in CA by two different remote trucks.

The Fedco Audio Lab remote truck recorded the New York dates and Wally Heider's Mobile recording truck handled the dates in California. There may have been other trucks involved, but I don't know for sure.

I remember Frankie d'Augusta telling me about the recordings while at the old Hit Factory on 48th street in NYC in 1978.

Here’s a 2006 Mix magazine article about the recording, but they only reference one truck in one location…

Check it out here: Classic Tracks: Peter Frampton's Show Me the Way

With all that said, you really never know...

Le Mobile and perhaps other trucks may have also been involved in the making of this recording.
IMO, if Guy told you this personally I'm sure it's true.
I've recorded many performances without the proper credit so, anything goes in this business I'm afraid.
Old 1st March 2008
Motown legend

Belmont University now owns one of the Heider trucks. They're pretty sure it's one of the ones that recorded Frampton. Phil Edwards has/had? the Heider truck that was built for Creedence in the very early '70s. I think Kooster's was the Heider/Record Plant east coast truck.
Old 3rd March 2008
Super Moderator

Cool

It's official...

Today marks the 31 year anniversary of Aura Sonic Ltd.

Crazy stuff!!!
Old 3rd March 2008
Lives for gear

Happy Anniversary, Steve!thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 4th March 2008
Congrats Steve!
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Yes, Guy was doing his thing in Montreal in the 70s then moved to the (East coast)States in the early 80s then moved out to the West coast after that.

From what I recall “Frampton Comes Alive!” was captured in at least four locations, two in NY and two in CA by two different remote trucks.

The Fedco Audio Lab remote truck recorded the New York dates and Wally Heider's Mobile recording truck handled the dates in California. There may have been other trucks involved, but I don't know for sure.

I remember Frankie d'Augusta telling me about the recordings while at the old Hit Factory on 48th street in NYC in 1978.

Here’s a 2006 Mix magazine article about the recording, but they only reference one truck in one location…

Check it out here: Classic Tracks: Peter Frampton's Show Me the Way

With all that said, you really never know...

Le Mobile and perhaps other trucks may have also been involved in the making of this recording.
IMO, if Guy told you this personally I'm sure it's true.
I've recorded many performances without the proper credit so, anything goes in this business I'm afraid.
Dave Hewitt's truck was one of the Frampton trucks. By the way, Guy Charbonneau rules!! Along with Dave of course!
Old 4th March 2008
Happy Anniversary Steve you old fart. 31 years of doing your magic and capturing great recordings, I wish you at least another 30 of continued success.
Old 6th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
It's official...

Today marks the 31 year anniversary of Aura Sonic Ltd.

Crazy stuff!!!
Congratulations...I bet it went by pretty quickly...
Old 23rd March 2008
Gear Addict

Congrats on making 31 years, Steve! Wow...lots of music under that bridge.

I wanted to commend you on the Aura-Sonic website. It's just terrific! I especially enjoyed the "History" section of your photo gallery. It did a fine job of walking me through the birth, growth, and maturity of your company. I was amazed by your location trucks, and I could easily see the evolution in their designs. Looking at the photos of the "original truck" really took me back. I was doing live sound the same time you were putting that truck together and fielding it. Seeing the photos of the gear in it was pure deja vu.

By the way, the (my) Lovely Mrs and I are from LI. One day, when we go "back east" to see family, I may stop by and say hello in person - and thank you for the fantastic job you've done as moderator of this Forum.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search