The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

The Remotester's guide to the Best Eatage Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear Maniac

Cool The Remotester's guide to the Best Eatage

seems everyone is talking about food lately, and it's making me hungry

I was wondering, if you could invent a new type of nationwide fast food chain that rocked, what would it be and why?

Thinking about there being these on the main interstates like McDonald's are - so this would be your ultimate 24-hour after gig eatage.

My Ideal Eatage would be:

- 24 hours a day
- diner style menu grille
- mexican and greek diner infuences
- desert salad bar with fresh fruits
- a crispy creme next door

what's your idea after-gig 24-hour eatage place?
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

I wish there were drive thur Sushi resturants on every other block like Mc Donalds.
Old 3rd December 2002
hmmm,

Little restaraunt in soho called Andrew Edmonds is cool.

Conveyer belt Sushi also rocks!

But then so does chinese!

Old 3rd December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
I wish there were drive thur Sushi resturants on every other block like Mc Donalds.
McD's burgers were probably good when there was only one or two McD's. Imagine the effect of ultra mass marketing on the quality of sushi.

I'll take the Momma-san and Poppa-san sushi shops over that idea any day.

Also, can you say "food poisoning"? Raw fish is harder to keep edible than any cooked meat. I wouldn't want some pimple faced high schooler behind the counter making my sashimi. Baaaarrf

Sushi is an art!
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Sushi is an art!
Well, of course it is, but at 4 am I have to confess that "Ralph's Supermarket" sushi starts to sound pretty good since Terrisushi, Yamakowa, Tokyo Dave's, and Matsuhisa are closed.
Old 4th December 2002
One with big hooves

It's gotta be a Diner. There's always a 24 hour diner nearby. Maybe I'm just spoiled cause I'm in NJ but they rock. Way better then fast food and almost as fast. I gave up on the concept of fast food a long time ago, now I just hope it's food. And FWIW, Wendy's is waaaayyy better then the other chains, though Ranch 1 is good.
Old 6th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Wendy's is waaaayyy better then the other chains, though Ranch 1 is good.
what's ranch 1? must be a jersey chain thing?
Old 6th December 2002
Super Moderator

Ranch 1 is a chain of chicken joints. Pretty decent food for fast food. They're also in NYC area.

When on the road with the mobile unit, we love to hit "real" Truck Stop resturants. You can get good 'ole home cookin', at very fare prices.

Some truck stops also have fast food chains. We try to blow them off, when ever possible.
Old 11th December 2002
Lives for gear

There is allways the ever regretted " wAwful house".. how many of us have been lured into that place at 4am seeking the refuge of a warm meal only to be puking to beat the band at 9 am?

Truck Stops Rock!!!!
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Maniac

when I'm in the NYC area, I love to go to Virgil's Real BBQ on west 44th street. great southern BBQ in Times Square.

most of the "Jackson Hole" burger joints in NYC rock. huge burgers and sandwiches.

Best fallafel place is Mamoun's on MacDougall street in the village. the best two bucks you'd ever spend on a fallafel.
Old 21st January 2003
Super Moderator

You just named some of my favorite places to chomp...

Very strong!

Since, we're talking about serious carcass.

What about Katz's on Houston Street?

You cannot go wrong at that deli.
Old 24th January 2003
Gear Head

Katz's- now and forever; but Sarge's delivers 24 hours a day....

So, last night I am reminded of one of the greatest resources available to recording studios in Manhattan. Sarge's Deli delivers most anywhere in Manhattan [or maybe it's anywhere below Central Park] 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, is open on Christmas, etc.... if you're hungry at 2:30AM[like my pregnant wife was last night and we've done no food shopping cause it's been so damn cold we barely leave the house unless absolutely necessary], you can get some decent food brought to your door......
In the land of carcass, we opted for the pastrami and corned beef combo with cole slaw and russian dressing and a side of potato salad. I also got a slice of apple pie since yesterday was apparently "national pie day." Also, we were able to specify half-sour pickles to be included with the order [wife is pregnant and has cravings for particular things.......kosher dill wouldn't hit the spot....]
While not quite on the same level as Katz's, Carnegie or Second Avenue Deli, Sarge's does deliver 24 hours a day [and that's when you're hungry].
Also, their menu covers a lot of ground. In addition to the Jewish deli staples, they also have a good assortment of other "Jewish Soul food" including a fine Matzah Ball Soup, blintzes, bagels and lox, other smoked fish, knishes, kasha varnishkas, etc.... but if that's all it was, it would be useful for only a very narrow segment of the recording industry [how often do you crave corned beef on rye in the wee hours?].
They also have burgers, omelettes, really good milkshakes, salads, pancakes, french toast, a bunch of more traditional diner entrees and BBQ ribs which I've never even thought of trying.......
Basically, if you're hungry you can probably find something to eat there and it will likely be good.
A few years back, when putting in a late night order for a session, they asked me how I wanted the burgers......I had failed to ask the clients what they wanted. The Sarge's phone person asked "what kind of music are they recording?" When I said 'rap' they said "well done then.." They were right. They know their stuff....

And, there phone number for all you Manhattan studio cats who don't already have it is 679-0442. No, I don't work for them, have any share in the company or anything. Just want to let y'all know how to get ahold of their food.........MMMMM, good corned beef.....
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

I would just love to see some decent taquerias outside of California.... perhaps even outside of Northern California. It's amazing how long I can remain satisfied and healthily fueled on a good Pancho Villa burrito regular con pollo colorado o asado, frijoles negros y salsa picante... and how good my accent gets the more times I order it. Wash-down with an Orange Crush, of course. Oh, man! When I'm in Florida, I daydream of burritos in San Francisco, and when I'm in San Francisco, I daydream of grouper sandwiches in Florida...

don't get me started on Chinese food...

-dave
Old 24th January 2003
Lives for gear

Regarding fast food sushi, there's a joint in San Francisco called "We Be Sushi" that origionally wanted to be called "McSushi," but alas, McDonalds has patented every permutation of McAnything you can imagine. It's sort of what you're talking about though...cheaper, quick, open until somewhat late hours.

SF is severely lacking in good late night options though and it blows. There's only 1 or 2 all night joints and they're the typical burger joint stuff which is OK sometimes...but I like variety.

I do live in what is perhaps the best food hood in SF, the Inner Sunset and I've got almost everything above, sans the good delivering deli (which I'd die to have), within a 6 block radius.

I have no idea how to cook anymore.
Old 25th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzy Logic

Best fallafel place is Mamoun's on MacDougall street in the village. The best two bucks you'd ever spend on a fallafel.
Sorry, but I am compelled to make the following correction:

The best fallafel place is Mamoun's in New Haven, CT.
The second best fallafel place is Mamoun's on MacDougall in NYC.
The third best fallafel place is Mamoun's in Albany, NY.

-MattiMattMatt
Old 25th January 2003
Super Moderator

Matt to the third power. heh

I heard good things about the CT location. Haven't been there to compare, but I look forward in finding out, the next time I'm near the New Haven area.

Didn't know about the Albany joint.

Was it just by chance you found three Mamoun's?
Old 3rd February 2003
Gear Maniac

Peter Luger's in Brooklyn, NY is a great steak house. Ate there last night and I still cannot stop thinking about how good the food and service was.
Old 3rd February 2003
Gear Maniac

I am normally down for great food or home cooking, yet lately taco bell has been my jesus.

I have been very happy with their "border bowls", great thing to grab on the way to a gig - it's a meal in a bowl.

The steak soft tacos are also a very wise choice...
Old 4th February 2003
Super Moderator

I "ran for the Bowl" in the past, but not since I found Taco King by my home. Nowadays, I never "run for the bowl", unless there's nowhere else to go 'cause, I'd rather go to Taco Bell then McBlowJobs, etc.

I do admit, the best thing the Bell has to offer, are the various "bowls", everthing else makes me "run for the Bowl" heh

Now, Peter Luger's... That's a serious steak house. I love the service at the Brooklyn location. I got to add the Palm and the Palm Too to the list of my favorite steak joints in NYC.

Man, I cannot wait to check out Luger's again. I got a reservation for March 2nd, 2003. Yummy, yum yum indeed.
Old 4th February 2003
I have a booking at Jamie Olivers restaraunt soon in London.

Indian
Chinesese
Tai
Japanese
Italian
Turkish

Those are staples for me..

Because of my extreme Chinese food addiction, rice is a part of my regular diet. I crave it.

heh
Old 4th February 2003
Gear Head

I cant believe nobody has mentioned In and Out. I dont live in CA, but every time I get off the plane, that is the first place I go. McD's the way it should be.

Also speaking of San Fran, Schwarma to die for at Ali Babas Cave in the lower Haight...If I only lived there...

k
Old 21st July 2003
In manhattan, its the rodeo bar, cactus cafe, and Rocking Horse for mexican,
The Rose Cafe on 5th ave and around 8th st. Houston's is a killer chain,
screwdrivers with fresh squeezed OJ. Near my studio, we have very good
greek, chinese,japanese, and pizza places that all deliver.
Old 23rd July 2003
Lives for gear

Geno's steaks in Philly,best cheesesteak in the country

Rob
Old 23rd July 2003
Gear Nut

Wakefield House of Pizza, Wakefield, MA Whoo-hoo!!!! :-) And Coffee Break, also in Wakefield. Both are right up the street from the "studio home" and have provided many a meal for client and insane studio owner.

Nothing around late night, though, except for Mikey Dee's. Ah well, that's the Boston 'burbs for ya!

-GRW
Old 23rd July 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by infiniteposse
I do live in what is perhaps the best food hood in SF, the Inner Sunset and I've got almost everything above, sans the good delivering deli (which I'd die to have), within a 6 block radius.

OK, then you must be aware of the new kid on the block, Nan 'n Curry. We have been going there at least once a week. I used to make some marsala dishes - no more. Thier Chicken Tikki Marsala is to die for.

Left over Indian food, it's what's for breakfast.

Inner Sunset is also my neighborhood, and there are no good Taquerias there. We have to walk over to the Haight to get a decent burrito, which, for those who don't know, is the official food of San Francisco. We know nothing of pizza, but have burritos down.

By the way, never eat a buritto before a gig. "Buritto coma" always folows and you never quite recover in time to play.
Old 26th July 2003
Gear Maniac

when it comes to "fast food" sandwich or sub chains, Quiznos is #1 in my book.

it blows away all the rest, (bimpies, subway, etc)
Old 28th July 2003
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Well, of course it is, but at 4 am I have to confess that "Ralph's Supermarket" sushi starts to sound pretty good since Terrisushi, Yamakowa, Tokyo Dave's, and Matsuhisa are closed.
sorry, for the late reply, but I just saw this thread.

e-cue, I totally share your love for sushi. In your neck of the woods is one of the best sushi places in the world (no kidding) It's called Nozawa on Eureka and Ventura Blvd (just down the street from Scream studio). Just talking about it makes me wanna get on a plane.
Old 28th July 2003
Motown legend

I think that's the place in LA where I was first forced to eat Sushi by some of my fellow Motown engineers.

(Part of engineering at Motown was learning how to avoid "soul food" because that was our steady diet other than the candy machine.)
Old 11th August 2003
Gear Maniac

has anyone ever hit up "super duper weenie" off of I-95 in Southern Connecticut?

They have pretty damn good hotdogs, california dog, chicago dog, etc...

also some damn good shoestring fries (ask for the salt&pepper).

If anyone is passing through, this place is within a half mile of the 95 ramp and defiantly worth the stop.

ps - the parking lot holds 8 cars tops, so a remote truck may have to look around for a space
Old 11th August 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Konovaliv
Also speaking of San Fran, Schwarma to die for at Ali Babas Cave in the lower Haight...If I only lived there...
Ali Babas is ok in a pinch, but Shawerma-heaven is at Truly Mediterannean on 16th at Valencia in the Mission, or on Haight Street. The chicken shawermas in particular... mmmm-MMM!!

Also... one of the hall-o-fame best meals in the entire universe is the roast garlic dungeness crab at Thanh Long waayyy out on Judah at 46th in San Francisco (...yes "San Francisco" the last two syllables do count ) ... Go there... bring LOTS of money... accept no menus... Order the crab, and a side of garlic noodles, along with your choice of wine ... love your life. Stop at Just Desserts on your way back into town.

And send me a frickin postcard, I'm way too Floridian these days. grudge

The AES show is in San Francisco next year.. I propose this be the site of a Gearslutz/foodslutz dinner

-dave

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search