The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

The Remotester's guide to the Best Eatage Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 5th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Ranch 1 is a chain of chicken joints. Pretty decent food for fast food. They're also in NYC area.

When on the road with the mobile unit, we love to hit "real" Truck Stop resturants. You can get good 'ole home cookin', at very fare prices.

Some truck stops also have fast food chains. We try to blow them off, when ever possible.
Ohio Turnpike Exit 5 truck stop in Toledo Ohio. Good fresh tasting food, well prepared, lots of it and open 24/7. Lots of times coming back from Detroit after doing sound this was the place of refuge at 2 AM before the long trek back to Cleveland. Highly recommended.
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Addict
Berakat,(sp.?) on Delancey near Katz's, Turkish place, BEST Lentil soup!!!!24/7

Veselka , 2nd Ave/9th Street: Best Peirogis in NY 24/7

The Eating Tree, Caribbean Food, Bronx near Yankee Stadium...if they are still open it would be worth the tip. From Brazil!!

And what WAS the name of that Korean Barbeque place we ate at in Flushing one day???? That was pretty good too.

But man, if you want barbeque: Vivano's in São Caetano do Sul, Sao Paulo, Brazil. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
You just named some of my favorite places to chomp...

Very strong!

Since, we're talking about serious carcass.

What about Katz's on Houston Street?

You cannot go wrong at that deli.
Old 6th April 2010
Korean was probably KumGangSan, odd that it is such a different restaurant than their 32nd street location (Flushing is much better).
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

If you happen to be transiting "flyover country"... here are a few of my faves...

NashVegas:

Italian: Mama Mia's, off I65 S, Harding Place exit... quintessential "hole-in-the-wall" family-owened Italian. I've enjoyed almost everything on the menu over the past 20+ years. Brown-bag wine/beer, fabulous tortelloni quattro fromaggio.

Mexican (Central American, actually...) Las Americas on Nolensville Road, south of Harding Place. Best Carne Asada ever... and the papusas are worth the trek. Also family-owned.

Barbeque: Toss-up... Tex's (off Murfreesboro Road, east of Fessler's) for Texas-style... Martin's (in Nolensville TN, 15 mi south) for pretty much everything else... the Redneck Taco is not to be believed.

West Chester, PA: D&K Diner. Great breakfast, coffee, cool T-shirts. On the main drag... classic stainless steel diner, mentioned in John Baeder's coffee-table book on the genre.

New York hinterlands: Miss Monticello Diner, off SR 17, Monticello NY. Great American (left side of the menu) and Greek diner fare. I had a little of both.

Shennandoah Valley: the Pink Cadillac Diner, I-81 at Natural Bridge VA. The Elvis Burger must be seen (and consumed) to be believed. Hand-dipped Hershey's Ice Cream in the milkshakes. nice.

Cincinnati area: Rima's Diner, Covington KY. Blue plate specials and pie. Oh... the pie. You will hurt yourself.

South Missouri: Lambert's... Home of the Throwed Rolls, Sikeston and Ozark, MO. Yep. They throw fresh, hot dinner rolls across the room. You miss... you go hungry. Not really. Family-style dining... we rarely missed the opportunity on college runs (NashVegas-to-Kansas City). Got good at catching the rolls.

Speaking of Kansas City: Two for you. Stroud's (off I-35N) and Hereford House (downtown, and three other locations). Stroud's for fried chicken dinner. Period. Make you wanna go home and slap yo' mama. Hereford House for one of the best filet mignon in the country. Honest. But... bring money.

Western Florida: Pasta and Seafood Grill, Panama City Beach. Right there on Front Beach Road. Fresh grouper and great Italian recipes... in the past four trips, I've had all of the grouper entree dishes... and hope to begin the rotation again. Soon.

That's enough for now. Makes my mouth water just thinking about these places.

HB
Old 6th April 2010
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post
Korean was probably KumGangSan, odd that it is such a different restaurant than their 32nd street location (Flushing is much better).
IMO, Flushing has the best Asian cuisine by far.
Old 6th April 2010
In San Diego, it is all about Mexican food. Gotta stop by one of the "ElCo" (El Cotixan) taco shops and get their killer fish tacos.

MMM...I know where I'm going for lunch.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav
NashVegas:

Italian: Mama Mia's, off I65 S, Harding Place exit... quintessential "hole-in-the-wall" family-owened Italian. I've enjoyed almost everything on the menu over the past 20+ years. Brown-bag wine/beer, fabulous tortelloni quattro fromaggio.

Mexican (Central American, actually...) Las Americas on Nolensville Road, south of Harding Place. Best Carne Asada ever... and the papusas are worth the trek. Also family-owned.

Barbeque: Toss-up... Tex's (off Murfreesboro Road, east of Fessler's) for Texas-style... Martin's (in Nolensville TN, 15 mi south) for pretty much everything else... the Redneck Taco is not to be believed.
Thanks for these. Having just moved to Nashville I am always in need of some good eatage. My wife and I are constantly on a search for good Mexican, so we'll try Las Americas next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav
Shennandoah Valley: the Pink Cadillac Diner, I-81 at Natural Bridge VA. The Elvis Burger must be seen (and consumed) to be believed. Hand-dipped Hershey's Ice Cream in the milkshakes. nice.
I drive this route very often (maybe next week, actually), so I'll have to stop in for the Elvis Burger.
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Addict
I agree with Steve, the best Asian (except Japanese) is in Flushing.

The BEST pizza in the world:

São Paulo. Hands down!! Speranza in Bexiga, Bela Cintra. Well worth the wait.

And what about the Roscoe Diner on Rte 17? GREAT French Toast with Hallah bread. Stateline Diner in New Jersey on Rte 17 too... just before Suffern. Les Paul used to eat there in the way home from Fat Tuesdays years ago.
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbphotoav
Hey, HB, I'm at the Pink Cadillac right now, waiting on my burger. I don't think the Elvis burger is a good idea with 8 hours of driving left, but I'll report back on the regular burger and shake later...

Update: HB knows his diner food! I'll have to make that a regular stop. Way better than McDonalds...

Last edited by bishopthomas; 27th April 2010 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: Eatage Update
Old 12th April 2011
Lives for gear

More eatage and drinkage...

Two: Just finished a job in Salt Lake on Sunday. If you're there... Caffe Molise (across from the downtown/Salt Palace Marriott) is a wonderful mid-Italian (just north of Napoli) restaurant with a great staff, a (new to me) tasty La Valentina Montepulciano Di Abruzzo (red wine, full-bodied like a Chianti but fruity like a Zinfindel) and Orecchiette al Salisicca (pasta like little clamshells, with Italian sausage, wild mushrooms, onions and tomatoes). Don't get me started about the Hazelnut Chocolate Mousse...

Tonight... "Murphy's Law"... an Irish pub (Murphy's and Guinness on draft, with Smithwicks, Harp, and all the other usual suspects... along with Full Sail Amber and other local craft brews) with a decent burger, great barkeeps, and their internet password (gotta love pub WiFi)... well, it relates directly to Irish whiskey. Almost makes the 12-hour commute to Rochester from Nashville bearable... and it's a block from my hotel.

I miss being home... but I love my work, and finding eateries worth gushing about.

Bon voyage/bon appetit !

HB
Old 13th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I have a booking at Jamie Olivers restaraunt soon in London.
Because of my extreme Chinese food addiction, rice is a part of my regular diet. I crave it.
Don't let him know about the Chinese or you're dead
Old 13th April 2011
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post

The BEST pizza in the world:

São Paulo. Hands down!! Speranza in Bexiga, Bela Cintra. Well worth the wait.
Could Well Be!!! Some of the best Pizza i ever had was in São Paulo...
Old 14th April 2011
Gear Addict

Such a lovely thread........makes you want to take a world trip and do nothing but eat.

DC is something of a wasteland in terms of good, funky, vibey places these days. It's lawyer-caves serving $35 steaks, junk-food chains and the occational good Asian or Latin eatery

If you want to give your arteries a good spanking, Five Guys is here (as mentioned some time back) and that greasy goodness is hard to beat.

For meat, meat and more meat, Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian-style carnivore-palace is wonderful. You keep eating, they keep bringing it on skewers. As much as you can handle, with a good salad bar to make you pretend you're having a balanced meal...

I recommend Chinatown Express (in what passes for Chinatown in DC) for a simple, cheap meal with a wonderful lack of frills. Service is brisk, the dumplings and the noodle soup are great (noodles made fresh on the spot) and the barbecue items succulent. It's just down the street from the MCI (or whatever it's called now) center, so if you are working events there.....

The late, lamented Yenching Palace had what I still consider my gold standard for Peking Duck and I have yet to find its equal.

Can someone recommend great (scratch that....SUBLIME) Peking Duck within the continental US? I swear, when I get the craving for it, I'd be willing to get on a jet...heh
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Closet View Post
Such a lovely thread........makes you want to take a world trip and do nothing but eat.
Can someone recommend great (scratch that....SUBLIME) Peking Duck within the continental US? I swear, when I get the craving for it, I'd be willing to get on a jet...heh
Sorry... after a wonderful experience with 13 of my best friends at Kai Mayfair (Kai Mayfair - Michelin Star Chinese Restaurant in London) after watching Sir David Willcocks conduct about 2,500 people arranged SATB in the Elgar "Dream of Gerontius" at a Really Big Chorus evening at Royal Albert about 6 years ago, I find it difficult to even order duck stateside. Of course, the Boodles&T supplied by Sir David to those of us in the box might have had an effect... Incredible sounds... and me without my mics... :-(

Wish it were different... but a ticket to London might just be less expensive than a ticket to Seattle these days...

HB

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search