The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

The Remotester's guide to the Best Eatage Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 12th February 2007
Super Moderator

Hey,

Have any of you folks tried Panera Bread? There are a bunch of them on Long Island and a few opening in the NYC area. They're a Bakery-Cafe style place. Very cool eats for a franchise chain.

I already when back for the second time and I haven't left the store yet. Very tasty eats my friends!

Interesting Note:
Congee Village on Allen Street was the original location for Eastside Sound Recording where I recorded the Cro-Mags. Many other great rock and Jazz artists recorded at that awesome place. As you may already know Eastside Sound has moved and designed and built a new slamming studio a few blocks away.
Old 12th February 2007
Gear Maniac

We have Panera breads all over the place down here in KY, they are a sister company of the ST. Louis Bread Company, which you must try if your ever in the STL!

Delicious! I love the Greek Salad and Brocolli Cheddar Soup!
Old 13th February 2007
Gear Maniac

for late night los angeles food check out the 101 coffee shop (franklin and gower in hollywood)-- open till 3am. feels like a real diner, very chill atmosphere, reasonable prices and a friggin amazing grilled portabello sandwich-- hint, get the mash potatoes on the side. the tandoori salmon sandwich is also killer-- actually everything i've had there has been good.
anyway, the LA 'slutz should check it out if in need of good late night eats in the hollywood area.
Old 13th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
Well, of course it is, but at 4 am I have to confess that "Ralph's Supermarket" sushi starts to sound pretty good since Terrisushi, Yamakowa, Tokyo Dave's, and Matsuhisa are closed.
Damn, the best sushi I've ever had was a little mom and pop place right next to the viper room.. Anyone know the name of that place?
ERic
Old 14th February 2007
Super Moderator

Have you folks ever try Menu Pages for NYC restaurants? It rawks!
Old 14th February 2007
Lives for gear

More in Midtown & Uptown in NYC

Working at Radio City Music Hall today on Chinese New Year Celebration, I went to McCormick and Schmicks in 52nd just west of 6th Ave. The Tilapia, breaded in cashews and green and red peppers was just stunning. I did not have the stomach to also get a steak, though they looked and smelled great, but I did enjoy apple pie as a finish. Perfect dinner, in and out within an hour, the tastes and smells still wowing me tonight.

Last night doing a direct-to-two with Schoeps, Neve Portico 5012 and masterlink, I went to a tiny diner across from Symphony Space on 96th & B'way. Grilled chicken shishkebab with fresh veggies over couscous and a nice sauvignon blanc. The fact that the music premieres were great was good, the meal made it better!

A couple of days ago I'm mixing an ABC gig shot at the Hudson Theatre on 44th, and at break ran across the street for Virgil's BBQ! Damn, the beef brisket smothered in the house sauce is just amazing. They no longer carry the brunswick stew which is heartbreaking to me, but the rest of the menu just rocks.

I'll be back
Old 14th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalrecord View Post
for late night los angeles food check out the 101 coffee shop (franklin and gower in hollywood)-- open till 3am. feels like a real diner, very chill atmosphere, reasonable prices and a friggin amazing grilled portabello sandwich-- hint, get the mash potatoes on the side. the tandoori salmon sandwich is also killer-- actually everything i've had there has been good.
anyway, the LA 'slutz should check it out if in need of good late night eats in the hollywood area.
Agreed, I love that portobello sandwich. Or if you're in the mood for Thai there's Torung just a few blocks away.
Old 14th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalrecord View Post
for late night los angeles food check out the 101 coffee shop (franklin and gower in hollywood)-- open till 3am. feels like a real diner,
What about that diner-style place in the ground floor of the Best Western in Hollywood Hills? Great breakfasts.

Chipotle ... sure it's a chain, but the food is always fresh, filling and cheap.
Old 14th February 2007
Gear Maniac

that's the 101 coffee shop you're talking about-- they are indeed on the ground floor of that best western there.

i haven't tried that thai place, guess i'll have to check it out...

and i agree, chipotle is good stuff, although totally different from real tacos and burritos-- which i've been exposed to a lot playing salsa gigs-- one of my bands played the king taco christmas party-- gotta love free tacos.
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

When in LA, I love to eat at The Grove/Farmer's Market at lunchtime. So many choices, such great food, so little time!!! Anyone else do this?
Old 15th February 2007
Super Moderator

Are you talking about the Grove / Farmers Market near CBS studios?
Old 25th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Are you talking about the Grove / Farmers Market near CBS studios?
Yup, that's the only one I know of in LA! Just south of CBS. Outdoors, great atmosphere, all kinds of food for the taking, plus several bars... huge amount of flexibility. From the Churassco to the Thai food to the wine & cheese bars, it's the tops in LA!

Jim
Old 8th November 2007
Super Moderator

So, when you're in NYC and want some great street vendor food for small money checkout the Halal Gyro, Lamb & Chicken wagon...

Their setup iis on 53rd street off of 6th avenue right accross from the Hilton Hotel.
Believe it or not, the line usually is (seriously) long even at 4AM.
Old 10th November 2007
Colorado survival guide

My new discovery while in NYC for AES was Hampton Chutney. Fast, decently priced, and vegetarian friendly. Only open until 10:00 PM, unfortunately.

Out here in Colorado things are a bit tougher. Most folks eat early on Friday night because they are getting up early for hiking, rock climbing, or skiing. Almost nothing but unmentionable 24-hour breakfast places serve food after 10:00 PM.

Two Colorado-based chains are probably coming your way soon:
Chipotle was mentioned before. Noteworthy for ethically-raised pork.
Noodles and Company menu spans Asian to Italian.

Best gourmet pizza in Colorado is Proto's.

In Fort Collins, Avagadro's Number is reliable eats and a good music venue.

In Boulder, Illegal Pete's for standing-room only burritos. For real food, Mediterranean is open until 11:00 PM on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

In Colorado Springs La Casita Patio Cafe is counter-style Mexican fast food.

Someone else will have to do Denver, it changes too fast for me to follow.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 10th November 2007
Lives for gear

How about Orlando?

I have a gig in Orlando next week. Any suggestions for eatage?
Thanks in advance!
Old 25th December 2007
Super Moderator

Did you find any decent eatage in Orlando that's worth reporting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen View Post
I have a gig in Orlando next week. Any suggestions for eatage?
Thanks in advance!
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

There's a place called Wall Street Cantina that has alright food. But if you're a margarita fan try out the TeqKillYa tower. 100 ounces of margarita for $35; share it or take it on yourself.
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

MMM, yum in Orlando!

Indeed, Steve!

Since I was working at the convention center, I asked around and several locals suggested Jack's Place in the Rosen Hotel as a great place for steaks. I went there the first day...and went back for more on my second and third!

The escargot stuffed mushrooms are pretty phenomenal... though be prepared if you don't like blue cheese, which was a new twist on the appetizer the chef was trying out. I found I preferred the filet mignon to the NY strip. If you like garlic, try it blackened with garlic sauce, still rare on the inside. The veggies, especially the asparagus- were crisp and perfectly steamed by request. Overall, wonderful stuff...and a nice wine list, with an excellent single malt scotch selection from the Rosen lobby bar.

My third meal at Jack's place was with a phenomenal remotester, British buddy John Leonard who records music and sound events/effects in multiple formats (the first time I heard B-format it blew my mind!). John is a great Sound Designer and his work on Broadway and the West End is exemplary. We dined with LA buddy Drew Dalzell of Diablo Sound, another sound designer who specializes in programming and themed entertainment. Great meals, great times. If you are on International drive near the Convention Center, this is a solid choice for great meals.

Be warned the service varied greatly from day to day, which put off other diners- one large group nearby was seated late and left after being ignored for ten minutes... but I had no major issues, and the food was wonderful at good prices (compared to NY dining!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Did you find any decent eatage in Orlando that's worth reporting?
Old 7th October 2008
This is by no means an authoritative list, just my own list from years of living in NYC before I moved to Hawaii...

Pizza - Lombardi's on Spring for sit down pizza, Joe's on Bleeker / Carmine for stand up pizza
Sunday Brunch - Odeon on West Broadway
Sushi - 15 East on 15th Street (my boy Masato)
Falafel / Shwarma - Mamoun's on MacDougal
Mexican influenced - Ixta on E 29th (?) Street
Indian influenced - Tabla on Madison
Spanish - Bolo E 22nd (I think I saw Pantera eating there once)
Belgian - Cafe de Bruxelles on Greenwich
Italian - Il Buco on Bond
Bagels - Ess-a-Bagel on 1st Ave
You want a Stilton Burger, she wants Chinese and a fresh Ginger Ale to wash it down - NoHo Star on Bleeker (for lack of better category)
Do you want to be served by transvestites? - Stingy Lulu's somewhere in the East Village
After 2AM Dining - Blue Ribbon Brasserie on Sullivan (this is where many chef's and restaurant staff go after dining, food is excellent all round. Best fried chicken around. Solid seafood platform thing with Russian or Iranian caviar and a shot of vodka up top)
Gelato, Coffee, Desserts - Caffe Dante on MacDougal
Chocolate - Kee's Chocolate on Sullivan or Thompson
Old 7th October 2008
Gear Maniac

3 scoops of ice cream @ Cafe Dante......$24.00

My Wife going ballistic & refusing to pay.....priceless

Our teenage daughter mortified @ Mom....scarred for life

Ron Allaire, Skyline
Old 7th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Pizza; I prefer Grimaldis in Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn Pizza in Hackensak or Ridgewood NJ

Mex: Rosa Mexicana or Zarela's

Bagels : Ess-a or Tal on 1st Ave (I'm across the street)

Lots of Italian

Steaks: Smith & Wollenskys, Peter Lugers (cash only)
Old 9th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
There is always the ever regretted " wAwful house".. how many of us have been lured into that place at 4am seeking the refuge of a warm meal only to be puking to beat the band at 9 am?
Amen Steve. As an expatriate Southerner I have had a many "order, scrambled & smothered with raisin." I was in Nashville this summer w/o wheels and a aWffle House was walking distance right across the street from my motel. I ordered my usual but my grease tolerance level must have dropped in the years since I left Dixie. Oh well with Road Food sometimes you can't be too choosy. Glad I don't have to eat this stuff all the time. With one exception the staff of five was incompetent. They couldn't even write the bill up correctly much less make change. Thank goodness for the grizzled fry cook. As my friend Tony the K says, "If you pay peanuts, you're gonna get monkeys."

Out here in Callie we don't really have great Greek owned diners like you do in the NE, but if you're ever out here and caught on the Road and need to eat, be sure and choose Carrow's, Coco's, and In-n-Out Burger over Burger King, Mickey D's, and that awful Denny's.

Just my culinary 2 cents.

YMMV
Old 17th March 2009
Super Moderator

A good friend of mine turned me on to Zum Stammtisch German Restaurant in Glendale, NY...

I love German food and many of the places I have enjoyed in my area have closed down.

This place is so close to my field shop; I'm digging the fact that I have a new (nearby) place to enjoy again.
Old 17th March 2009
Lives for gear

I love the explanation on the menu. It makes me wonder what took you so long to find that place.
A Stammtisch sounds like EXACTLY where you belong!
Old 17th March 2009
Super Moderator

I've scratched my head and thought the same thing.

So close, but yet so far...

But - not anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas View Post
I love the explanation on the menu. It makes me wonder what took you so long to find that place.
A Stammtisch sounds like EXACTLY where you belong!
Old 21st March 2009
LX3
Lives for gear

The moment last year that I realised the iPhone would change my life... coming out of a gig at 1am in a random part of London, and Ed says "You know, I really fancy a kebab".

"Hmm" I thought, "I wonder if this will work?". Fire up Google Maps, type "kebab"... Almost instantly it shows us all the kebab shops in walking distance of where we are.

Click one of the pins, get walking directions, hit up the web and see if there's a review (although, frankly... it's a kebab! What do you expect?). Probably took 60 seconds in total.

Now gets used frequently post-gig, to great benefit. e.g. Nearest decent chip shop in Cardiff still open at 2am on a Thursday night? No problem heh

As far as recommendations go, my latest find is in Manchester. Umami on the Oxford Road, so very convenient for The Academy. Great value Japanese restaurant, good food, nice vibe.
Old 4th April 2010
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Happiness is indeed...Five Guys Burgers & Fries

We must include "Five Guys - Burgers and Fries" to this list.

The best fast food burger joint on the planet to date.
If you haven't checked them out yet, you must give them a try.

They seem to be popping up everywhere as of late.
I understand that there are at least 200 new restaurants opening in 2010.

You'll know exactly what I'm talking about once you visit one of their joints

You will enjoy the food and experience very much!
Old 5th April 2010
urumita

La Nueva Rampa - 14th btwn 6+7 Cuban chinese
Day-O somewhere in greenwich village
Cafe de le Loup somewhere around the old RPM studios
Cafe Flore close to where you get green on 14
Minetta (nebbiolo), Peter Luger's, The Palm (Walter is gone, family friend)
Zum Stammitsch if you can find it, I did by accident, Hossenpfeffer etc...
The Bistrot at the bottom of 4th has the best burgers anywhere, I wonder if John is still arouund
The 10th st baths is good for early morning revival, freshly crushed sugar cane and ginger, hot pepper and garlic vodka, 3 hours in the cooker and back to work
Hung Lo, no joke
Ray's, in Haarlem
Katz's, can't go wrong
Les Freres Capucines

NY, are you kidding me, doesn't end

DC was varied, but
SF, chinese, but
NAPA, SONOMA
nowhere in the world will you find the variety and quality of the NY that I knew, even if it seemed dangerous at the time
I can't remember the name of the resaurant but, Japanese, Tortoise soup+
I lived in Paris for 3 years, and I can only say that the 5 Points Cardinal came close to the 'VIBE' that NY had everywhere before I left (15 years ago)
I want it back!!!
The 3 little pigs in Rockville MD
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

Stop with the Katz's, already. Oy! I read that stuff and I am ready for a tongue and pastramila on dark rye, cole slaw, Russian dressing and a bottle of Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray celery tonic. A nice bowl of borscht with the sour cream and a peeled, hot boiled potato alongside would be good, too. But I can buy the borscht out here. Yes, I know it's not the same but desperate men . . .

I love this thread. And what I wouldn't give just for a paper cup of real lemon ice.

PS - Julius at 8th and Waverly had great hamburgers on toast, in the late 50's. I bet they still do. And yes, the burgers at Louis' Lunch in New Haven are the world's best. Even though the fellow behind the counter will snarl if you ask for mustard, and then he uses Cheese Whiz to make a cheeseburger. Go figure. Ahh, the NE, where everybody has strong opinions. I sure miss that stuff.
Old 5th April 2010
Super Moderator

Yeah, "Zum Stammtisch" is great place to enjoy some tasty German cuisine.
I must make my way over there one of these days.
Perhaps this week; just a quick drive from the shop.

"Cookin' with Jazz" has re-opened; Chef Steve found a new larger place on Union Turnpike in Jamaica Estates, Queens.

The food is simply fabulous.
Arguably the best (IMO) Cajun place in NY.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search