The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , ,

console for sound reinforcement & recording
Old 6th February 2008
Gear Addict

Question console for sound reinforcement & recording

I need a console for sound reinforcement and recording bands live at the same time.
I think the midas venice 320 is what I need, it sounds good and has line outs on every channel, but maybe there a other options and ....cheaper...I can get a midas for about 1500 euros here.
Old 6th February 2008
Lives for gear

i've never had the chance to a/b them, but i'd be tempted to pick an allen & heath gl2400 over the midas.

i've had a chance to throw faders around on them both a bit and i like the layout and features of the allen & heath a lot better. i've used the venice consoles before and don't think much of them from a workflow standpoint, nothing like any other part of their line.

i've not had much real use with the 2400 though, only the 2800 which is the next step up, but i thought it sounded pretty good. midas faders feel a bit beefier than a&h, but i'd put them at comparable build qualities and i think a&h has more features and is like half the price.
Old 6th February 2008
Lives for gear

Sound quality on the Venice is pretty good, EQ is nice, but the short throw faders are less than ideal. TRS direct outputs and single point inserts. I've done some combination work- mix live + record, it would not be my first choice but for the $$ it's excellent.
Old 7th February 2008
Gear Addict

The Venice is great, but look into the Soundcraft GB4 as well. I think I like the sound a little better than the Venice, and it has a few more options. You can also get a Yamaha DM1000 and add a firewire card to go directly into a laptop. That way you can split channels so that eq and dynamics are not sent to the recording. On a Venice, the direct outs come from the factory post fader. Not sure about the direct outs on a GB4. One final option would be to get a used Soundcraft Delta and have Jim Williams upgrade it. This would be the most expensive option, but probably sound the best.
All of these options sound better than an Allen Heath or a Mackie.
Old 7th February 2008
Lives for gear

How about this: ATI Paragon II mixing console - eBay (item 310020734656 end time Feb-15-08 08:36:03 PST)

...sorry, couldn't resist.

It does look yummy, though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search