The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Changing the fan in my HD24: a breeze? not so simple? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Anyway, concerning that SilenX IXP-54-14T 80mm Case Fan, does it have a sensor or something or is it just a fan that spins all the time at the same speed?

Also, any clue where I can buy that in canada?
thanks
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

I did some searches and the only SilenX IXP-54-14T 80mm I could find that I could order from canada are the Pro model which seems to have a temperature senror or regulator in it, I don't want that, it's one more piece that can break.

I wrote to their canadian distributor but in the meantime, does anybody know where the hell I can get the SilenX IXP-54-14T 80mm in canada?

Or, is there any other brand/model that would be just as good?
Old 11th August 2009
In the one I got the "temperature sensor" is just another wire, dangling free, when the tip of it heats up, it flips the fan on.

Can't you get Newegg to ship to Canada?
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
In the one I got the "temperature sensor" is just another wire, dangling free, when the tip of it heats up, it flips the fan on.

Can't you get Newegg to ship to Canada?
Normally yes but they don't ship this one...

Is there any other brand of silent fan that are just as good?
I'll try to find another one that has pretty much the same specs, I'd rather have a fan with no sensor at all but I also have to find one that has the 2 wires to connect it.
Old 11th August 2009
Not that I have an advanced degree in any of this... but the "two wires" thing, + and - DC, is probably universal with these fans... and the "sensor" thing I wouldn't think would matter one way nor the other. As long as the fan fit, it should work fine... he said...

(It could even be that no fan at all would be perfectly james dandy, now REALLY don't quote me on that one...)
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Not that I have an advanced degree in any of this... but the "two wires" thing, + and - DC, is probably universal with these fans... and the "sensor" thing I wouldn't think would matter one way nor the other. As long as the fan fit, it should work fine... he said...

(It could even be that no fan at all would be perfectly james dandy, now REALLY don't quote me on that one...)
It should be standard but I saw some fan with 3 cables attached to them.
The Silenx seems to be the only onle rated at 14dB that pushes 30 or so CFM...

A zalman that pushes as much air produce 30dB!
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

I found a fan that is called papst 8412MGMLE.
It makes 26.5 CFM at 19dB.

Is it enough air flow, what is the original fan air flow?
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
That's exactly what I did when I put a Nexus in a couple of months ago. It's been purring like a kitten ever since
Does the nexus have enough air flow?
Old 19th August 2009
Lives for gear

Ok well I ordered my silenx fan directly from them, it should be here between now and monday.

I got my HD24 not so long ago and I got a question.
I red the manual but I didn't find an answer to my question.

When I look at the drives on the HD24 via ftp (using the ethernet) I can see a project folder that contains the songs, how do you create and rename a new project?

Is it possible?

That'd be nice that way I could have my personnal projects and my client's projects on the same drive.
Old 19th August 2009
I don't really use the ethernet, at all, but if you got on the yahoo HD24 usergroup, they would love to explain this stuff. Real blabbermouths... in a good way!
Old 1st December 2009
Here for the gear

Some help for this dumbass please!

I usually use my hd24 live so never any problems with fan noise but I have a couple of things coming up so read this thread and bought this

Akasa AK-181BK-2B 8cm Quiet Fan + Screws BB Retail- microdirect.co.uk

It has 3 wires: red, black and yellow. I've tried ignoring the yellow and just patching the red and black. Fan runs for a couple of secs when I power up hd24 and that's it. Reading the info, seems the yellow cable is to go to your motherboard if you're installing in a pc.

So far, so stupid me.

But I've looked at a couple of the fans recommended on here and they seem to have 3 wires too!?

Anyone give me some baby steps asap please?

Thanks

Si
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb6752 View Post
Some help for this dumbass please!

I usually use my hd24 live so never any problems with fan noise but I have a couple of things coming up so read this thread and bought this

Akasa AK-181BK-2B 8cm Quiet Fan + Screws BB Retail- microdirect.co.uk

It has 3 wires: red, black and yellow. I've tried ignoring the yellow and just patching the red and black. Fan runs for a couple of secs when I power up hd24 and that's it. Reading the info, seems the yellow cable is to go to your motherboard if you're installing in a pc.

So far, so stupid me.

But I've looked at a couple of the fans recommended on here and they seem to have 3 wires too!?

Anyone give me some baby steps asap please?

Thanks

Si
When I upgraded mine I've got some similar problem, I ended up grounding the extra wire and it worked, give it a try.
Old 1st December 2009
Here for the gear

Um, 'grounding the wire'? What exactly did you do with it? And does it work fine now? Thanks for the help :0)
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Um, 'grounding the wire'? What exactly did you do with it? And does it work fine now? Thanks for the help :0)
I srewed the wire to the chassis using one of the srew that was already in there, I can't remember which one but it always works now.

Oh and don't forget that you need to have a hard drive in there to make the fan work, that might be your problem.
Old 2nd December 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post

Oh and don't forget that you need to have a hard drive in there to make the fan work, that might be your problem.
DOH!

Thanks man, that was indeed the problem :0)

That fan is great, totally silent. Now I can just hear the hard drive ha ha!

Anyone had any luck with any quiet drives with their HD24?
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
DOH!

Thanks man, that was indeed the problem :0)

That fan is great, totally silent. Now I can just hear the hard drive ha ha!

Anyone had any luck with any quiet drives with their HD24?
haha no problem.
My drives are a bit noisy too, way more than the fan, didn't bother replacing them yet though.
Old 28th March 2015
Lives for gear

Rising an old thread here, but I finally got around to swapping out the fan in my HD24. I went with a SilenX EFX-08-15 and it is quiet. I have no idea why I waited so long to change it, but I wish I had done it sooner.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmed View Post
Rising an old thread here, but I finally got around to swapping out the fan in my HD24. I went with a SilenX EFX-08-15 and it is quiet. I have no idea why I waited so long to change it, but I wish I had done it sooner.
Another necrothread here, just saying thanks for the info, just ordered one on the way, hopefully will quiet my roaring HD24.
Old 4 weeks ago
I've had the Silenx 14 db 32 cfm fan in my HD24XR for over a decade now. Runs great. With a OCZ Vertex EX SSD it's silent running.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I've had the Silenx 14 db 32 cfm fan in my HD24XR for over a decade now. Runs great. With a OCZ Vertex EX SSD it's silent running.
Yep, did the trick, and was an easy install. The amount of dust that was inside my HD24 after 10+ years was amazing, I had my daughter shovel it out and start a potato patch in the backyard. Fan works great.
Old 2 weeks ago
Public Service Announcement:

ALWAYS shut off the rear power switch on the HD24 when not in use. The soft start switch does not shut down the analog + - 12 volt power supply. It is always on but the fan is off = heat buildup and problems.

To avoid dust buildup inside, cut a piece of 1/2" thick filter foam and place it on the inside of the side vent.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search