The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , , ,

Post pictures of your portable recording equipment
Old 8th April 2008
Gear Nut

Here's my rig. Sorry for the darkness. The wings were very dark that night.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_0042.jpg  

Last edited by 5flagsaudio; 8th April 2008 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: photo didn't upload
Old 8th April 2008
Super Moderator

5flagsaudio,

I hope you don't mind, but I cleaned up your picture for you a bit.

Check you post for the updated image.
Old 8th April 2008
Gear Maniac

looks great steve! and thanks for helping me with my images too.
Old 9th April 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
5flagsaudio,

I hope you don't mind, but I cleaned up your picture for you a bit.

Check you post for the updated image.

Steve, thanks. Perhaps you could use that magic photo clean up to make the wings of that theater appear less cluttered.
Old 23rd April 2008
Gear Nut

better pics

Here's a clearer pic of my gear. Location was the local public television station's large studio audio control room. The purpose was to shoot part of a documentary about our local symphony. They performed Tchiakovsky's Francesca da Rimini. The gear in road cases is mine, as is the mac, monitor, and headphones. The 2 01Vs, camera monitors, and audio monitors belong to the tv station. Not show are the mic pres which I put out at the set.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-tv.jpg  
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

Seems like the definition of portable has a pretty wide range... How about a picture from another session I did for this CD:
CD - The Road Home - Los Angeles Choir Angel City Chorale Fellow Gearslut Rick Krizman was the producer.

The rig we used included: Grace 801, Phoenix Audio DRS-2 (2), A Designs Pacifica, DAV BG2, API A2D, Vac Rac, 8 chan. Lavry 4496, 8 chan Mytek 8x96...

Mics were Mojave MA200, MA 100, Neumann KM140, Schoeps MK4, DPA 4006 (w/ 50mm spheres), Royer SF-1, some prototype mics I can't talk about, Microtech M930...

Well, the Pro Tools 002 and laptop was portable and well, it did technically fit in my car...

--Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-rig.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-car.jpg  
Old 21st May 2008
Gear Head

Yummy Goodness

There sure are some pretty rigs out there! I love this thread!
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-mobile-3.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-mobile-1.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-mobile-4.jpg  
Old 21st May 2008
Lives for gear

Wow, so much gear and not a single adat recorder... just the dtrs stuff...
Come on, don´t be shy you adat users... post a pic. or two.
Old 22nd May 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post

Well, the Pro Tools 002 and laptop was portable and well, it did technically fit in my car...

--Ben
Whew! Hell of packing job, Ben!
Old 22nd May 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteaks View Post
ideally, you could save some weight and space by getting a larger rack to hold the whole rig
Old 22nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Hey fifthcircle,

where did you get these nice 1U yellow cases? Are these custom made?

p.
Old 22nd May 2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteaks View Post
Awesome pack, but I want to see a picture of the car's rear suspension. heh

"Must have been ride pretty low that day.
Old 22nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndrock View Post
ideally, you could save some weight and space by getting a larger rack to hold the whole rig
Not really- in my car, things actually fit better due to the modular nature of my racking. Also, few of the jobs I do are quite that large. The vast majority of them require 8-12 channel rigs that go out. I have my pres racked up in groups of 8.

Quote:
where did you get these nice 1U yellow cases? Are these custom made?
Custom built by Encore Cases in North Hollywood. Have their good and bad points. The good- small. The bad, small- can be tough to get fingers in there for things like BNC word clock connections.

Quote:
Awesome pack, but I want to see a picture of the car's rear suspension.

"Must have been ride pretty low that day.
Ehhh... I've had worse, but it was riding pretty low. The car can take a heck of a lot, but sometimes there is the gig that stretches things. You should have seen what happened long time ago when I was driving a Toyota Corolla. I'd fit pres, a console, stands, etc... for a large jazz combo/small big band in there. Talk about dragging a tail-pipe. heh

--Ben
Old 23rd May 2008
LX3
Lives for gear

That car photo feels pretty familiar! The best two upgrades I could make at the moment would be 1) my vehicle and 2) my house.

There are gigs where my wheels wouldn't be able to manage even one more wafer-thin case. And then when I get back to base at 3am I have to carry everything up a flight of stairs.

I think I've reached the point where, before I go spending £6000 on a bigger desk I really need to spend £500,000 on a new house with a garage to fit the £20,000 new van.

(Not too sure how that's going to happen!)
Old 10th June 2008
Lives for gear

Johnny-come-lately here, but thought I'd share some pics / sounds from my biggest remoting experience to date: 80 strong choir and 25 strong orchestra, Bach programme.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-pict0069.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-pict0074.jpg  
Attached Files

Cantata 150 Leite mich.mp3 (2.41 MB, 1132 views)

Old 10th June 2008
Lives for gear

...here's the main pair (s). The Coles were a bit of a long shot, and we ended up using the ortf ish schoeps pair. Shame as the the coles were beautifully smooth... but the usual Blumlein limitations kicked in (had to be far enough away to capture the whole ensemble, but close enough not to be overcome by the rather dominant stone church sound)
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-pict0072.jpg  
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmack View Post
Johnny-come-lately here, but thought I'd share some pics / sounds from my biggest remoting experience to date: 80 strong choir and 25 strong orchestra, Bach programme.
sounds great! were they used with the crane song?
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

Allocations were as follows (from memory)
Main pair: Cranesong thru MOTU
Coles (not used here although I posted clips recorded with them across at recording.org): ULN 2
Omnis (MKH20): Trak 2
Soloists + choir spots (c451/MK41): Dav BG 2 / ISA428
Old 20th June 2008
Lives for gear

Here is a picture of some of my gear at a location recording session at the Royal Festival Hall in London. Unfortunately it doesn't look particularly impressive, but it did the job well!

Regards

Roland
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-15-recording-setup-4363-.jpg  
Old 20th June 2008
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Roland,

I disagree. It's impressive in how efficient and able it looks.

Well done my man!
Old 20th June 2008
Gear Head

Thought I'd post a new one from a gig we did in Raleigh, NC last week. 11 time Grammy winner Shirley Caesar, with a bad-ass rhythm section, and 4 amazing back-up singers. Shot in HD with a Steadicam and two jibs.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-raleighnc.jpg  
Old 20th June 2008
Gear Addict

spacers???

I am in total awe of some of these rigs!!!
In the process of putting mine together, and in looking at some of these I was wondering how come I don't see space between units? Shouldn't best practice dictate spacers are needed for heat dissipation? Obviously this adds weight and need for more racks, cases , whathaveyou... but I am mainly addressing the little 2-6 U rigs.

Gaston - your recording is about as nice as I have heard. How did you create space and intimate detail with 2 mics?
Old 21st June 2008
LX3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Shouldn't best practice dictate spacers are needed for heat dissipation? Obviously this adds weight and need for more racks, cases , whathaveyou..
Yes, I also wonder how people get away with it. I have seen gear overheat and die. But it depends, some gear gets hot, some doesn't.

I find mic preamps are the worst culprits. Most of those 8 pres in 1U units you could cook eggs on. I leave 1/2U space between them and that helps.

I also try to check vents aren't obstructed and there is free airflow where it's needed - most of those pres are fan-cooled. Same with digital desks - they can be cool on top, but red hot underneath. Worth taking care how they get fitted into flightcases.
Old 21st June 2008
Lives for gear

My most portable SURROUND rig is this and it recently got its own website (with sound clips!) at Panphonic.com

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-strip.jpg  
Old 21st June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't look particularly impressive
I'd disagree as well...
Recording at the Royal Festival Hall is pretty impressive already, not something I get to do every day.
Nice looking setup, but where'd you park your feet without stepping on something?
Using MADI there, it seems, are you?

Did my first (live piano) recording with video last week. Not exactly on-topic, I know, just wanted to mention it. Kinda fun, listening to the music alone felt strange after having edited video for a couple of hours. Something missing there... Hope to do more of that.

Daniel
Old 22nd June 2008
Lives for gear

The session is for a live CD due to be released in the next couple of months (I believe that some may be broadcast on Classic FM before that). The session is supposed to be the the subject of an article for a future edition of Line Up magazine.

Yes Daniel, the session was done with Madi, as many will know, I've been a long time advocate of madi as an elegant solution. It's been around for a while, however interest has built considerably over the last couple of years, many advantages and it is the only (as far as I know) widely accepted, multichannel (more than the standard 8 of Adat or Tdif) out there. Of course now I've said that someone is bound to tell me that there is another! heh

Regards to all

Roland
Old 22nd June 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX3 View Post
I find mic preamps are the worst culprits. Most of those 8 pres in 1U units you could cook eggs on. I leave 1/2U space between them and that helps.
That's my experience also. My pre's put off enormous amounts of heat. If you put your hand on top of the pre at the top of the rack, it's painful. I do the half-rack space thing between them, but it's still very hot. If you look carefully at that photo, you can see I'm running on my spare mic pre power supply. We had power problems at the venue, with the voltage dropping to 100 volts at times. Even running with a UPS, the noise floor kept creeping up on one of the pre's as they heated up, and then became a 60 hz hum. I had a spare power supply for just such an occasion, as I knew that heat buildup would eventually lead to problems. I'll probably run a little clip-on fan in the back of the rack aimed at the pre's from now on.

Michael
Old 22nd June 2008
Lives for gear

Here are some views of a recording room. It is semi permanent because it is set up for 9 months and then disassembled.

Note the analog machine--Stellavox SM-8.

Mic picture shows the FLEA 49 for soprano soloist and MG M71s for men soloists in Verdi Requiem. Chorus mics are 4 Pearl CC-22.

A lot of nice set-ups here on this thread.

Best from Chicago,
Plush
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-record1.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-m491.jpg  
Old 22nd June 2008
Lives for gear

some more of the rack.

Thermionic Culture Earlybird
EAR mic amp
Rupert Neve Texas 5012
and various DAV electronics BG racks

then hanging ORTF stereo mic as main pair with Neumann KU100 dummy head.

The head hangs for all concerts in this venue.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-bird1.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-head1.jpg  
Old 22nd June 2008
Lives for gear

Hi Plush,

Are those additional mics above the the dummy head? Can't make out if those are windscreen cages or lights tucked away in the background of the pic.

Regards

Roland
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search