The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , , ,

Post pictures of your portable recording equipment
Old 12th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteaks View Post
Thanks Mike! I noticed looking at your photos how similar our rigs are. How do you transport your mics?
I have a rolling softsided tote from ebags.com that carries the mics. In fact, for my REALLY simple 2-ch jobs, that rolling tote carries my Schoeps box w/CMC6-MK2S and 21 prs, DAV BG1, Korg MR1000, a 60-ft 2-ch snake, and minor accessories (gaffer tape, scissors, pen and notepad, flashlight, short stereo bar, etc). The only thing that won't fit is the Shure A15 stand.

I'll try to get a pic of my "baby" rig up soon...
Old 13th March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas View Post
Is that the EWI mic box? I'm about to buy one of those I think. Did you do any modifications to the inside? What do you put in it, just mics/DI's or can cables and such fit?
Sorry, I somehow missed your question! Yes, that is an EWI box. The "lighting" model. I carry mic cables, patch cables, tools, "magic tricks" connectors, etc in it. Makes a nice stand, too. I'll get a shot of the inside and post it. It's stock, no mods. It's well made, has wheels, and was CHEAP.
Old 13th March 2008
Here for the gear

Portable gear from our end

Maybe its a disease. We are content people and I compare it to being a chef.
We carry just about any option you can think of (our kitchen and the kitched sink) to capture remote location gigs. Our portable rigs have many options for mic preamps from API to Aphex 1788A. Obviously I stick to the Aphex 1788's as the "go to" pre's. For recorders, we have many Pro Tools HD rigs, Tascam X-48 and two Logic 7 and 8 rigs. Pro Tools is the first choice out.
We also drag 96 channels of Radial ISO Splits with us to combat patching or other issues normally found in remoteland.

To see some more pics, go to the website JDM Mobile | Remote location recording and broadcast company.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-flypacks.jpg  
Old 19th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
I have a rolling softsided tote from ebags.com that carries the mics. In fact, for my REALLY simple 2-ch jobs, that rolling tote carries my Schoeps box w/CMC6-MK2S and 21 prs, DAV BG1, Korg MR1000, a 60-ft 2-ch snake, and minor accessories (gaffer tape, scissors, pen and notepad, flashlight, short stereo bar, etc). The only thing that won't fit is the Shure A15 stand.

I'll try to get a pic of my "baby" rig up soon...
Here are pics of the "baby" 2-ch rig. Oh, my back is lovin' it....
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-p1010023.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-p1010026.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-p1010028.jpg  
Old 20th March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
Here are pics of the "baby" 2-ch rig. Oh, my back is lovin' it....
Yeah, I'd recognize that Shure bag anywhere. Ha...the HN-7506s & Korg look familiar, too!

Nice kit.
Old 21st March 2008
I just wrote a whole blog on how I put together my "baby" 2ch system for recording a choir on tour in Italy. Check it out here:

Road Warrior Recording

I ditched the Presonus Inspire mentioned in the blog because the preamps were really too noisy for me. Replaced it with the recently released Fast Track Ultra which is great because it can act as a mobile interface (2ch) on USB power or a full 8x8 with the wall wart.
Old 23rd March 2008
Lives for gear

This is my new rig! Sounds fantastic and is portable.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-gastons-mobile-crookwood-.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 View Post
Niiiicccceeee!!!!
Old 23rd March 2008
Lives for gear

Oh My ROOT!
Old 23rd March 2008
Lives for gear

Plush I have read your threads/post etc and you got me inspired making my purchases. and of course Onno helped me too, he has also a paintpot and says that's in one of the best pre-amps he used in his career since 1965

We (me & Onno Scholtze) just spend 3 days of recording the Johannes Passion Choir & Chamber Orchestra in Holland and Belgium. The Paintpot/Korg/DPA is a killer setup, it sounds so fantastic. However I will start up a new Thread this weekend because I want to demonstrate the recordings made by Onno (DPA-4060) and mine (DPA-4006) the were both on one mic stand, so people will be able to compare the difference etc etc

I am trying to post a sound sample here on Gearslutz however it doesn't work all the time. So hopefully I will succeed this time.

Happy Easter.
Old 23rd March 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:

Oh my! That is truly the portable of portables. Looking forward to the sounds.
Old 23rd March 2008
Gear Addict

Hey, that looks different than my Paintpot! Is that an older version (mine looks just as on the Crookwood Website)?

Sweet setup!
Old 23rd March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sweet is right! I don't know a thing about the "paintpot", but if it looks as good as it sounds! Wow. The rest of the chain is totally top drawer. Love it!
Old 23rd March 2008
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

This is an Original/Older Paintpot which has a MS decoder and a passive EQ, all the rest is the same as the newer model. This paintpot was if I am not mistaken a lot more expensive as the newer model.

By the way as promissed here is a little sound sample.
Attached Files

Her unser Herscher.mp3 (1.14 MB, 1719 views)

Old 23rd March 2008
Lives for gear

Mr. Hughes,

Your setup looks pretty cool too i.e. it's in the same league. I love to travel light, before I was taking a big flight case around with a computer etc etc, there is so much more hassle with computers etc etc.

Again the Korg is such a nice recorder to use thumbsup
Old 23rd March 2008
0VU
Gear Addict

Top choice Gaston

Still my favourite preamps.
Old 23rd March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is an Original/Older Paintpot which has a MS decoder and a passive EQ, all the rest is the same as the newer model. This paintpot was if I am not mistaken a lot more expensive as the newer model.

sounds very good!
Old 23rd March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

Just an A/B pair of DPA4006, right? Nice work, very nice sound.
Old 24th March 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks Mark, it might become also the best recording in my recording career so far,

Thanks to Onno which is a great man!
Old 24th March 2008
Here for the gear

Here's my commercial location rack

Pix
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-soundrack.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-rackback.jpg  
Old 24th March 2008
Super Moderator

Nice rack defilms.

Can you give us a breakdown list of your gear?

Also,are you using isolation XFMRs forthe TC and video inputs?
Old 24th March 2008
Gear Nut

I think he's using a balun for video feed, & TC should be unbalanced off the SD744T to jam the slate...
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

Great work, Gaston!

Onno da man!!

Wei wu wei ---do by not doing. That is his motto I believe.
Old 25th March 2008
Here for the gear

Gear rundown for commercial rack

Sure, Remoteness, be happy to.

Starting at the top, left, is an FP33. This is just used to allow a private line talkback with my boom operator. Due to the talkback system I use (remote audio) and the lack of a talkback on the Mackie 1402, this I have to use as an interface. Next to that is a Sound Devices HX3 headphone amp for feeding Comteks, IFB, Script and Director etc. Next shelf down is Sound Devices 744T with CL1 keyboard adapter and DVD RAM.
Next are 2 video monitors from Delvcam, they are fine for SD monitoring, If I need HD I have 2 Marshall VR70P-HDA that I attach with a Zacuto arm. The Delvcam have 2 inputs each for total of 4. Next is Mackie 1402, after much testing and swapping out, I have tried a Yamaha o1V, a 1604, I settled on the 1402, it in not a Cooper but it works for me. Bottom drawer is the keyboard for the 744. There is another rack that sits on this one with 8 wireless mics in it. I also have a bag ready for OTS work, it has another 744T, a Sound Devices 442, A BDS power system, 4 wireless, and a Comtek feed in a Petrol PegZ2. Let me know if you have any questions / comments or want a complete gear list.

Oh yeah, the rest of the questions... I am not using isolation transformers, haven't needed to. For long runs to video village, I do use the Muxlab Baluns, or wireless video, for short runs just cable it, but using the CAT5 baluns more and more as it is easy andmuch more durable than I thought it would be. The TC feed is unbalanced to the slate/comtek/camera. Cheers, Dave
Old 28th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
This is what i use (plus i have 2ch API 512b's) to record Daryl Hall's webcast show every month (on the 15th) at his website.
You can hear the results with this system at:
Live From Daryl's House
Nice job then, because the sound on those webcasts is excellent from what I remember!
Old 6th April 2008
Lives for gear

Some varieties of my constantly changing setup... The DA-88 is just a backup. I now use a Fostex D-160 to have more than 8 backup channels...
The laptop is a 900-Mhz Toshiba, perfectly enough for multitrack recordings. The 19-inch-PC is an old overclocked Celeron... ([email protected]). I rarely use it these days, but it served me well for quite a number of years.

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-da88.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-mics.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-marburg.jpg  
Old 7th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by defilms View Post
Pix
Is your Sound Devices recorder attached to the rack in any way? Or is it loose?
Old 7th April 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu View Post
Some varieties of my constantly changing setup... The DA-88 is just a backup. I now use a Fostex D-160 to have more than 8 backup channels...
The laptop is a 900-Mhz Toshiba, perfectly enough for multitrack recordings. The 19-inch-PC is an old overclocked Celeron... ([email protected]). I rarely use it these days, but it served me well for quite a number of years.
Good to see some shots (finally!) of one of your rigs, Daniel! I've seen your mics, it's nice to see some of your hardware. I see you're using an RME MADI setup in the second photo.
Old 7th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteaks View Post
I see you're using an RME MADI setup in the second photo.
The two Multicore cables on the left are not mine - they belong to a PA system that was used on the same day. My "Multicore" is the little cable drum with 50 m of military grade optical cable. 64 channels both ways, if necessary. MADI is nice...
Pictures 1 & 2 belong together, they are from the same recording.
Old 7th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Metric Halo Mobile I/O, and a Macbook running Logic onto an external audio drive. I monitor through a pair of Sony MDR, on this rig and with my cameras.

--edit-- I got rid of the MH-2882 (bottom) and placed a 500TB Glyph Drive in the empty space - also replaced the MacBook with a MacBook Pro. I use this rig mostly for scoring and composing music for my own short films. I'm doing NLE in FCP on this rig as well. I may use this interface for ADR, if the need ever arises. I don't find myself recording musicians anymore, other than myself, so it's more of a portable FCP rig than anything. --edit--
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-2366493841_8812fcd732_o-1.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-2367330012_7d0502473c_o-1.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search