The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , , ,

Post pictures of your portable recording equipment
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

That's interesting. I heard a big difference between the Cloudlifters and even the FETHeads. Same gains of course. I heard the Cloudlifters as "hissy." This was a number of years back; maybe they have updated their circuitry and more of a test need be done.

Anyway, I bit the bullet on the new Royers (SoS liked them as well) and I'll do a comparison between the FETHeads and the dBoosters.

Probably fodder for another thread. Sorry to hijack. Nothing to see here. Move along. Cheerio.

D.
Old 9th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Keep it simple

Travelling as light as possible, no cable drums, smaller stands
2 x MKH 800s as spots....
And it's elegant in its simplicity. Kudos!
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

For those discussing inline boosters for passive ribbon mics, I have had excellent results from the mogaine units by crimson audio.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear
Ive sold all my vintage ribbons
Lovely but high maintenance
Modern mics are truly transparent and very flexible with prodigious outputs.
Last night in a classic Kings College chapel had a 18 pc choir sing Renaissance plain song
They positioned themselves variously over its generous long thin proportions
Being able to switch from wide card to Fig 8 enabled all to be captured with ease and spaciousness.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Rack mounted a MR18 into the top of a mixer road case along with a monitor. Using a Lenovo ThinkCentre mini computer with SSD drives. Works like a champ for mobile PA and recording and completely noiseless. Have the personal monitoring hub racked up with a handful of personal mixers. Allows both hard-wired control via the mini PC and wireless via iPad over the mixer and StudioOne Pro.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_0674.jpg  
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Ive sold all my vintage ribbons
Lovely but high maintenance
Modern mics are truly transparent and very flexible with prodigious outputs.
Last night in a classic Kings College chapel had a 18 pc choir sing Renaissance plain song
They positioned themselves variously over its generous long thin proportions
Being able to switch from wide card to Fig 8 enabled all to be captured with ease and spaciousness.
Does this mean you've sold your Coles 4038's and now use the Sennheiser MKH 30's and 800's exclusively ?
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear
Not 4038s S but their bronze prototypes, the PGS ,made especially for FM broadcast and the Coronation of 53.
MKH 30 and 800 yes, a pragmatic solution to many a acoustic tricky situation...
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

I suppose OBA/8s were before your time?
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear
No Mr P
I used them in World Service
Bush House had a few in the late 60s
The PGS are lovely ribbons , better than the 4038 imho
Too expensive for STC to mass produce
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

1. " ... Bush House had a few in the late 60s ..."; Roger Beckwith's site attests to this.

2. PGS as covered in Section 1 of my copy BBC Engineering Division Technical Instruction S.2(-7), acquired whilst working at GEC Coventry 1969-71. If you have an historical interest in its contents, let me know ...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yet another option in my ever growing collection of gear used for remote recording .....

Everything set on a Triad Orbit T3c Stand.
I believe I own at least one of every accessory they make, and have used quite a few of them in this setup.

From top to bottom.
1 x Mevo Camera, for filming the artist if I'm setup close to them, so I can film and record at the same time.
1 x iPad, used to control Mevo Camera, zoom, focus, as well as to just watch the live footage.
1 x Pair of iLoud monitors, playback for the artists.
1 x Pair of Grads RS-1 phones for me to monitor.
1 x Merging Technologies, Anubis.
1 x Track ball
1 x Apple Mac Book Pro, whatever the newest model is, 32 gig, 512
(which does NOT work with Anubis at the moment!)
1 x Cisco 10 channel Gigabit Ethernet switch.
1 x Furman, power strip.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-t3crigclose.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

What's your backup recorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
Yet another option in my ever growing collection of gear used for remote recording .....

Everything set on a Triad Orbit T3c Stand.
I believe I own at least one of every accessory they make, and have used quite a few of them in this setup.

From top to bottom.
1 x Mevo Camera, for filming the artist if I'm setup close to them, so I can film and record at the same time.
1 x iPad, used to control Mevo Camera, zoom, focus, as well as to just watch the live footage.
1 x Pair of iLoud monitors, playback for the artists.
1 x Pair of Grads RS-1 phones for me to monitor.
1 x Merging Technologies, Anubis.
1 x Track ball
1 x Apple Mac Book Pro, whatever the newest model is, 32 gig, 512
(which does NOT work with Anubis at the moment!)
1 x Cisco 10 channel Gigabit Ethernet switch.
1 x Furman, power strip.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey Steve,
How goes it bud?

For the moment, it's a Mac Mini...
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

All is well in Remoteville!

I got to come up and visit you once Stephen D. is in his new home near you.
My new facility is not too far south from you.

Yes, I have a Mac Mini in each of our dedicated digital recorder racks. Two hard disk recorders and a Mac Mini running Pro Tools is how we are rolling these days.
Triple redundant setups

Quote:
Hey Steve,
How goes it bud?

For the moment, it's a Mac Mini...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
(...)Two hard disk recorders and a Mac Mini running Pro Tools is how we are rolling these days.Triple redundant setups
are you using madi, dante or some other audio network?
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

All of the above, plus AES50 depending on the circumstance.

This past weekend during the (60 anniversary) Newport Folk Festival we had analog, MADI, and DANTE available depending on what the self-contained bands were carrying. We capture multi-track for 47 out of the 54 bands that were performing. We had one of our rigs at each (Fort, Quad & Harbor) stage, then runs from each stage came back to my central control area in the Fort Adams Casemate NCO Quarters behind the Fort stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
are you using madi, dante or some other audio network?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
All is well in Remoteville!

I got to come up and visit you once Stephen D. is in his new home near you.

Yes, I have a Mac Mini in each of our dedicated digital recorder racks. Two hard disk recorders and a Mac Mini running Pro Tools is how we are rolling these days.
Triple redundant setups
Your Remoteness, if I may briefly respond to the above -- do you have any experience with Intel NUC's (as opposed to Mac Mini's) for backup purposes?

Thanks!
Luke
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

First off all our Mac Minis are last quarter 2012 models with 16 gigs of ram plus two (SSD & HD) drives and a fast SD card in the slot for extra fast storage. When it comes to music production, we are a macOS house.

That said, I have not tried the Intel NUC mini PCs as of yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedamrosch View Post
Your Remoteness, if I may briefly respond to the above -- do you have any experience with Intel NUC's (as opposed to Mac Mini's) for backup purposes?

Thanks!
Luke
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thanks for the info!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Where?
I'll take a ride down...
Been a while,
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

We're in Orange County, NY.

At the moment, it's "eyes only" until we finish the build out and such.
In any event, let's talk privately about getting together and all that good stuff.

Quote:

Where?
I'll take a ride down...
Been a while,
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Will do...
B.T.W., Stevie D, should be moving in tomorrow!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Just keeping it simple. Recording and filming a bansuri performance in a sunlit room in a house in Uluwatu, Bali, Indonesia. Rode TF5s into Nagra 7, monitored with Etymotic ER4 microPro canal phones. Add the other odds and ends (camera, tripod, stands, cables) and the whole lot fits into a daypack.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-afa20ca5-d1ac-4a74-9e8b-9c4e16a22232.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmosonic View Post
Just keeping it simple. Recording and filming a bansuri performance in a sunlit room in a house in Uluwatu, Bali, Indonesia. Rode TF5s into Nagra 7, monitored with Etymotic ER4 microPro canal phones. Add the other odds and ends (camera, tripod, stands, cables) and the whole lot fits into a daypack.
What's the blue pot for?

Is this where people throw the money to pay you?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
What's the blue pot for?

Is this where people throw the money to pay you?
Well spotted! As I say to the audience at the end of the gig, “Hey kids! If you liked this show ask mummy or daddy for some money to put in my pot. And remember kids, if that money isn’t printed on paper it means they don’t love you.”

But seriously, it was my cup of water, placed directly under the tripod* to make it least likely to get kicked over as we moved around - although looking at the layout it could’ve easily got pulled over by that white power cord anyway. The shortcuts we take when working fast against a setting sun...

[*tripod: my nickname in the men’s changing room]
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This is what I'm doing right now, trying to cobble together a rig that will record at least 8 channels at the same time in my hotel room, at the last minute. We're actually at a Jazz festival and I got a call from the artist...get your recording gear ready because there are a couple, or three people who would like to feature on the new album, mostly vocals and acoustic guitars.

Its a little messy at the moment, but I'm making sure everything works, checking acoustics, waiting for mic stands and making space in the room...it will be tidy by the time they arrive, or not. I really have no idea what's supposed to happen and how it will work, I know that because of the names mentioned there will probably be a lot of people, so I'm just playing things by ear.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_1033.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_1037.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_1036.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_1035.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_1034.jpg  

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
...reminds me of that Delaney and Bonnie and Friends 1971 album "Motel Shot"...or maybe Jackson Browne's 1978 "Running On Empty" LP, recorded in motel rooms, on stage, in a Greyhound bus, etc etc
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
For recording live music on stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_px4MCYPqU
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search