The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

Post pictures of your portable recording equipment Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Here are some pics from last October's project at Rice University Shepherd School of Music Opera production of "Little Women"
This was a multitrack record and HD video shoot done with NorseHorse.
We've done several of these opera for the past few years, another one coming up in March.
Neumann, Sennheiser, AKG mics; audio control: HP Elitebook i7 W7/64 Workstation, Samplitude ProX3 or Sequoia v13 DAW, (3)Aphex 188 mic pre/24ch, RME UFX interface+ b/u recorder.
NorseHorse can chime in with the cameras he uses, I couldn't tell you.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-1.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-2.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-4.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-5.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-6.jpg  

Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-7.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-8.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-9.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-10.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-11.jpg  

Last edited by John Moran; 23rd January 2018 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 23rd January 2018
Thumbs up

Great times with John! Mix of mics from Sennheiser, Neumann, and Rode. Sadly, the final videos with the best audio are all top-secret, but they do release some rehearsal footage to promote each show.

Julius Caesar -
From the looks of this clip, you won't... - The Shepherd School of Music

Little Women - After watching this clip, you won’t want... - The Shepherd School of Music
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moke View Post
The ladies of the ensemble did unspeakable things to my binaural head today. They used it like a little girls doll, and dressed it up.
Yep, Gude Head got dressed up like a gangsta, during a chamber music performance, in a church sanctuary.
Nothing quite like a disembodied gangsta head as a center piece to chamber music, ehh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Sacrément!
So, what next,... will they have him out on a street corner spinning a sign?
The ladies of the ensemble played dress up doll with Gude Head again, sunday (well, sort of at my prompting).

mehh,... if it helps sell some schwag and makes a bit of money for them,...
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-dscn4446.jpg  
Old 24th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornblower64 View Post
Hi Scott,

The JCF converters are 8ch., yes? How are you clocking and interfacing the converters?

dB
Yes, four JCF AD8's which can be seen in the pic below. The DAW was in the same rack with the converters connected via standard AES cables. Both audio and video rigs are operated remotely from the truck. The venue crew was very helpful, which we were thankful for. This show was also a 7-camera video shoot. The raw video/audio cut was already in presentable form when we packed up and pulled away from the venue. Everyone has been really excited with the quality of these captures.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-fullsizeoutput_20c.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-fullsizeoutput_40b.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-fullsizeoutput_208.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
As you can imagine, I often find myself tucked into some little room off stage with no sightlines to the conductor.

I bought a cheap CCTV camera on eBay and hooked it up to a little NTSC monitor I had around. I use CAT5 baluns and use a length of CAT5 to send 12VDC to the camera and return the video to the monitor. It works well.

D.
Hi Doug, I'd like to set up something similar, do you have a pic of the camera or a name/link so I'll have an idea of what to look for ?
Old 3rd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Hi Doug, I'd like to set up something similar, do you have a pic of the camera or a name/link so I'll have an idea of what to look for ?
Just saw this. PM me and I will tell you what I am using for video over IP.

Here is my setup today for recording the Seattle Philharmonic at Benaroya Hall. My small Dante rig (16 inputs) in action. Worked well providing an 18 channel recording to JoeCo BBR64-Dante, Pro Tools 12, and a two-track to my aging but still working Alesis Masterlink ML9600.

D.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_5795.jpg  
Old 4th June 2018
Gear Addict

Nice Picture

nice picture of my Decca Tree with outrigger
you can make out the center stick angling down

Recording of shown tree

This and That and the Other by PlantLady Rec Services | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-msbpnuh.png   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-92su3i6.png  

Last edited by emenelton; 5th June 2018 at 03:12 PM..
Old 17th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emenelton View Post
nice picture of my Decca Tree with outrigger
you can make out the center stick angling down

Recording of shown tree

This and That and the Other by PlantLady Rec Services | Free Listening on SoundCloud
looks like the orchestra were really heating up
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

24 inputs -- ready to go -- all self contained
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-vs-cd.jpg  
Old 17th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
looks like the orchestra were really heating up
It’s funny I looked at Kansas City Sym on SoundCloud and the orchestra had the same irradiated shine

phased array 2 with b-format alt main

Nocturnes by PlantLady Rec Services | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Bizet by PlantLady Rec Services | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited by emenelton; 18th June 2018 at 03:36 PM..
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Setting up right & testing all the gear today, for a few days of recording in a friends great room in the next week. (give or take)
Pics will come once I'm there!

It will be nothing more then him singing, and playing acoustic guitar in a very beautiful intimate setting.

So I scaled everything back quite a bit, and will be using one of my Zoom F8's along with a Josephson C700s, (on order) and a
Royer SF-12 stereo ribbon in the distance as a room mic.

The iPad is there for control of the Mevo camera, which will be used to record the sessions as well as stream live.
Here's a shot of the basic equipment I will be using to capture his performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-zoomf8session-4.jpg  
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
Setting up right & testing all the gear today, for a few days of recording in a friends great room in the next week. (give or take)

It will be nothing more then him singing, and playing acoustic guitar in a very beautiful intimate setting.

So I scaled everything back quite a bit, and will be using one of my Zoom F8's along with a Josephson C700s, (on order) and a

The iPad is there for control of the Mevo camera, which will be used to record the sessions as well as stream live.
Here's a shot of the basic equipment I will be using to capture his performance.
I'm curious to hear how this goes and I'd love to hear a clip. I'm surprised you wouldn't bring another preamp with you from your collection, a ribbon room is pretty much the toughest test of a preamp I can think and the Zoom F8 is not really known for its preamp quality, especially since acoustic guitar and voice are all about depicting very subtle transient information and a lot of mid-range detail smoothly and possibly beautifully within a layered, mostly mono, signal.

However, I've often been surprised in life. That's a cool compact setup, it looks almost like a location film audio mixing trolley.
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear
Paul, are you not concerned about control over the vocal/guitar balance? I’d be much more inclined to use that Josephson as the room mic. Plus, I doubt your F8 will have sufficient quiet gain for using the SF-12 as a room mic. A TRP, RPQ or at least a Mogaines would be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post

Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Jim,
I have successfully used the Royer SF-12 with the F8 as the only mic on a acoustic guitar at live venues many times. It actually works / sounds wonderful.
Last show I did, I used the SF-12 along with a Beta 58 on vocal, and got very good separation.
But that was live with an audience of 200 people or so.

This new project will just be the artist & myself in a room about 40 x 25, with 10 foot ceilings.
My thought was to use the C700s as the only mic for the guitar and vocal.

Then maybe a few feet further away from him, I was going to use the SF-12 as room mic.
I have a stereo "Cloud Lifter" if I need more quiet gain for the Royer.

I also have the Zoom stereo X/Y mic that plugs directly into the recorder, that I might also record as a room, just for the hell of it.

But in theory, the recording will mainly the Josephson C700s.
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

Sonosax SX-R4+ recording at The Ravinia Festival.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-sonosax-2.jpg  
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Here's my little set up. Lenovo P50 laptop, running Protools 2018.4, with a Focusrite Clarett 8Pre and a Focusrite Clarett Octopre. 16 channels at 48k or 12 at 96k. Used it last weekend to record the Tulsa Symphony at 96k. The first time I've done them at 96k on my own system, rather than at 48k with the house console and Protools HDX from the Dante network.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_20181005_185421027.jpg  
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

The rig I’m currently running around South East Asia with...
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-3b226232-f9c6-4824-ac59-5fd5de724400.jpg  
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmosonic View Post
The rig I’m currently running around South East Asia with...
Looks great!
what are you doing for mounts, stand, cabling?
thats where stuff tends to get chunky..
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
Looks great!
what are you doing for mounts, stand, cabling?
thats where stuff tends to get chunky..
I’m using a Manfrotto Nanopole stand (same as the Nanostand but with removable centre pole), a length of Mogami stereo mic cable, the Basic AB stereo bar from mic-bar.com, and some foam wind filters for the mics.

There’s also a Sony RX100mkIII camera and a Fotopro carbon fibre tripod, but they were being used to take the photo, LOL! And, of course, a powerboard, AC adaptors, chargers and so on.

The pic shows the core of the audio capture aspect of it...
Old 14 hours ago
Gear Maniac

A few weeks ago, I recorded Ligeti's wind quintets and Poulenc's quintette à clavier. I didn't use the focusrite pres, my main ones were the ssl quad.
Microphones : dpa 4006 and line audio cm3 on a stereo bar, and km140 on the piano.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-20180918_151352.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search