The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , , ,

Post pictures of your portable recording equipment
Old 25th February 2008
Super Moderator

This indeed is a well rounded display of portable recording gear.

Keep them coming folks!
Old 2nd March 2008
LX3
Lives for gear

As promised, a pic here from this week's gigs. Recording 36 tracks at 96kHz on the X-48, with two HD24XRs acting as safety.

More 48-track action next week
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-picture-2.jpg  
Old 2nd March 2008
Super Moderator

Very cool Paul.

What's the large case lid go to?
Old 2nd March 2008
Lives for gear

I've been meaning to post in this thread. I've got a modest rig but it works very well! Two Korg D888's allow up to 16 tracks with no computer. I've got a couple of cheaper pres but they work for me (no comments on the Behringer, it's perfectly matched with one of my ribbon mics!). I've got some nicer ones coming soon.

I need to get a shot of the mics setup in the hall sometime as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-rig1.jpg  
Old 2nd March 2008
LX3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Very cool Paul.

What's the large case lid go to?
The large case lid was actually borrowed from lights heh

(I'm building some roller-boards to do the same job, but they weren't quite ready in time)
Old 2nd March 2008
Gear Guru

Cool

This is the set-up I used for a piano recording in The Menuhin Hall last year.

I used both Sennheiser MKH 20 and Neumann KM183D for the recording, but used the KM-D for the CD release this time.

Recorded to Fostex FR-2 (the D10 DAT was for back-up).

The mic. re. for the MKH 20 was the Audio Design DMA2 24/96 unit recorded to the FR-2 in digits.

Monitoring was K+H O110D and Sennheiser HD 650 through a Grace m902.

I will probably upgrade to the Nagra VI when it comes out in a couple of months.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-rm2020kmd20piano20for20web_jpg.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-etup20for20web_jpg.jpg  
Old 3rd March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX3 View Post
As promised, a pic here from this week's gigs. Recording 36 tracks at 96kHz on the X-48, with two HD24XRs acting as safety.

More 48-track action next week
fan-freaking-tastic. i see a small-format digital board
there that you're mixing on. do you find it hard
to page between layers if you're doing a live-mix?

i'm thinking of going with a Yamaha DM-1000
for my future remote mixer. i use one in my
day-job studio and like it but i do wonder how
clumsy it is paging around in the heat of battle.

oh, and are you monitoring the returns of your
X-48 or the returns of your Alesis units or...?

cheers,
marty.
Old 3rd March 2008
LX3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty lester View Post
fan-freaking-tastic. i see a small-format digital board
there that you're mixing on.
yes, that's an 01v96

Quote:
do you find it hard
to page between layers if you're doing a live-mix?
Actually, no, despite the fact that I haven't had it long, I'm getting on with it really well.

You get used to glancing quickly at the layer buttons if you forget what layer you're on. The only thing that occasionally catches you out is when you don't realise you're still looking at Aux Send levels, not channel levels (since Aux Send selection is in a slightly different part of the board to the layer selection)

The other thing to try and avoid is ending up with related signals on different layers. I got stuck with the DI bass on 16 and the Bass mic on 17, which was a little bit of a pain, but as long as you create fader groups it's pretty manageable.

Quote:
i'm thinking of going with a Yamaha DM-1000
for my future remote mixer. i use one in my
day-job studio and like it but i do wonder how
clumsy it is paging around in the heat of battle.
I hear the DM1000 is very cool, but it wasn't enough of a step up in capability over the 01V96 to make sense for me. On the other hand, an 02R96... Anyone in the UK got one to sell?

I'm actually faster with the Yamaha than I was with my old monitoring solution. I'm loving it. But then I'm a fairly techy kind of person with reasonably good eyesight

Quote:

oh, and are you monitoring the returns of your
X-48 or the returns of your Alesis units or...?
I've built multiway cables so that I can do either, depending on the gig. That time around I was monitoring the X-48 outputs. The available YGDAI cards and the variety of output formats on different recorders cause a bunch of logistical problems, but I think I've come up with the best solution I can under the circumstances.

I'd like a desk with more inputs, but it's an issue of budgets, transport, storage, finances... Clients demand certain specs but don't want to pay the kind of money that they used to, which ties your hands somewhat.

Also, I rarely get the space to spread myself out as much as I did on that gig, so a bigger desk would be a problem much of the time. I'm basically developing multiple solutions that scale to suit the gig... although I'm starting to get asked to do 48-track dates in pubs, which seems a bit nuts!
Old 3rd March 2008
Lives for gear

Paul, how do you monitor all 48 tracks on the O1V? I just got this mixer last week for monitoring off my HD24, ADAT out of the recorder into the console. I haven't used it yet, but it seems like the way to go.
Old 3rd March 2008
LX3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas View Post
Paul, how do you monitor all 48 tracks on the O1V? I just this mixer last week for monitoring off my HD24, ADAT out of the recorder into the console. I haven't used it yet, but it seems like the way to go.
I have the 96k A-D board in my 01v, and I bus things down to 24 outputs on the X-48 (not as bad as it sounds when you bear in mind that only occasionally do you need all 48 tracks).

That's why I'm saying it's not my ideal solution, particularly since the DSP mixer on the X-48 is slightly messed up right now. But if you're aware of the catches and limitations on the X-48, it's workable. The big plus is that the setup is physically small. If need be, I can place the 01V96 on top of my racks for minimum footprint. Can't do that with a 35kg 02R96 in a flightcase.

[Tascam, if you want some feedback on areas of the X-48 that need some attention, drop me a line heh I really want to see that thing working well].

I find the 01V96 perfect for monitoring 32 tracks or less. I can do 32 tracks with full safety on a really small rig. No X-48 required.

There are of course options for full 48-track monitoring... but it involves rental and the budget to pay for it.
Old 3rd March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX3 View Post
yes, that's an 01v96

Actually, no, despite the fact that I haven't had it long, I'm getting on with it really well.

You get used to glancing quickly at the layer buttons if you forget what layer you're on. The only thing that occasionally catches you out is when you don't realise you're still looking at Aux Send levels, not channel levels (since Aux Send selection is in a slightly different part of the board to the layer selection)

yeah, the same thing happens to me in the studio on tracking dates sometimes....very survive-able. thank you for your detailed reply.

marty.
Old 5th March 2008
Here for the gear

Check this out...
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-studio.jpg  
Old 6th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas View Post
Paul, how do you monitor all 48 tracks on the O1V? I just got this mixer last week for monitoring off my HD24, ADAT out of the recorder into the console. I haven't used it yet, but it seems like the way to go.
I don't think it is possible. The 01V can only handle 40 tracks, That would be a max of 24 channels of ADAT in and 12 XLR analog(with 4 more 1/4" inputs which are set for a different gain structure).
Old 7th March 2008
LX3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleysound View Post
I don't think it is possible. The 01V can only handle 40 tracks, That would be a max of 24 channels of ADAT in and 12 XLR analog(with 4 more 1/4" inputs which are set for a different gain structure).
This is correct. I have mine configured for 24 channels of analog and 8 channels of ADAT. Those last four built-in 1/4" inputs are the same as the other inputs, just missing the mic preamp.
Old 8th March 2008
Lives for gear

This is what i use (plus i have 2ch API 512b's) to record Daryl Hall's webcast show every month (on the 15th) at his website.
You can hear the results with this system at:
Live From Daryl's House
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-peter-moshay-record-rack-3-08.jpg  
Old 9th March 2008
Why not - here's mine.

I posted a pic of my multi-track rig in the Birdland thread a while back, but this here is my 2-track "suitcase" rig for small classical music ensembles (seen here at the Donnell Library in NYC).

Hardy M-2
Mytek Stereo 96ADC
Tascam HD-P2
M-Audio Microtrack II (backup)

If I need spot mic's, I'll carry a Mackie 1202 along with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-2tr.jpg  
Old 9th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoner View Post
Those are the ones. They don't make them anymore do they? Too bad.
Yeah, I have one too and its many AUX is good for monitor stuff. Quite heavy, though.
Old 9th March 2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardhead View Post
Yeah, I have one too and its many AUX is good for monitor stuff. Quite heavy, though.
Are you refering to the Roland M480?

It's not that heavy, is it?
Old 9th March 2008
Gear Addict

Here's my most used rig. Fits in the Hyundai. TRP, MLink, HHB 630, Zero DAC/headphone amp. When I use condensers I have another 6u rack with other pres that I bring along, as well. I'm hoping to add an MR1000 to the fray later this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-two-track-rig.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-royer-box01.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-royer-box02.jpg  
Old 9th March 2008
Lives for gear

Is that the EWI mic box? I'm about to buy one of those I think. Did you do any modifications to the inside? What do you put in it, just mics/DI's or can cables and such fit?
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Maniac

For the minimalist folks using back up recorders (most of you, fortunately) how are you splitting? Transformer split or not?

Thanks!
Old 10th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysjo View Post
For the minimalist folks using back up recorders (most of you, fortunately) how are you splitting? Transformer split or not?
For me it's easy with the Benchmark pre ... when using only two channels, I can send the direct channel outs to my main record deck and the "mixed" outs on the same box to a backup. Both are active.

Nice rig, Mark! I see the prized Royer in it's velvet sheath ...
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
For me it's easy with the Benchmark pre ... when using only two channels, I can send the direct channel outs to my main record deck and the "mixed" outs on the same box to a backup. Both are active.

That's a nice piece of kit and a simple, elegant solution. thanks!

Anyone else?
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post

Thanks Mike! I noticed looking at your photos how similar our rigs are. How do you transport your mics?
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

Thanks!
I send the analog outs from the Mlink to the HHB. I'll likely do the same when a Korg becomes part of the system, only the Mlink will become the backup. When I'm using my "big rig", I do a "fly mix" from the analog outs on my HD24XR through a Mackie 1604VLZ and send that to the MLink. Keeps me on my "mixing toes"!
Old 10th March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Its designed and built by Warren Huck Hux Electronics Home to my stringent specifications. Warren is a master designer.

Warren has some more info on his website, (scroll down).
Hux Electronics Soapbox
Oooo...here's more on that beautiful little red Hux Summing Amplifier...

Hux : Summing Amplifier

Thanks, David!
Old 10th March 2008
Gear Head

Quote:

Thanks!
Someday I'll post pics of my portable setup. But I go to my Macbook from a ULN-2, then for backup, I use AES out of the ULN-2 into my Masterlink. No analog splits necessary.

Daniel
Old 10th March 2008
Quote:

Thanks!
I also split from the AD converters.

To my ear, transformer splitters seem to degrade the sound a little.

Another type of "split" I have used to feed a backup recorder is Y-cables off the back of the mic pre, but for some reason, using Y-cables makes me nervous - just one more thing that can possibly go wrong.

I am probably just superstitious.
Old 10th March 2008
My normal practice is to split post-ADC. This is slightly more dangerous than you might think, given that my current ADC's are Lynx II cards in the PC. But since the output routing to AES/EBU is handled on the card, it continues to work even if the recording software hangs. (Fortunately, this has only happened once in five years. I delayed rebooting until intermission, and my backup deck captured the four "money" channels.)

This arrangement also saves me a lot of repatching when the "primary" mics change between pieces. I do the routing from Lynx mixer app.

Occasionally I use an analog split, but it is almost always post preamp, so no sonic impact.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 11th March 2008
LX3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAnderson View Post

Another type of "split" I have used to feed a backup recorder is Y-cables off the back of the mic pre, but for some reason, using Y-cables makes me nervous - just one more thing that can possibly go wrong.

I am probably just superstitious.
I'm with you there. Only takes a cable failure and both your recorders lose signal. My approach was going to be to build a dedicated rackmount line-split box with multi-way inputs and outputs.

Even then, to split lots of channels, it was going to need some very careful design and construction.

I did all the design for the split box, priced up all the parts... then came to the conclusion that taking analog from my pres to one 48-track and digital to the other would cost much the same, and involve far less construction effort. Plus, there was the realisation that a custom-built $1500 Y-split box would have very little resale value...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search