Post pictures of your portable recording equipment
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear

Oh my root!!

David, that red box gets me hot.

Nagrists Unite!!
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear

Glad you approve Plushy, its right up your alley. Here are some not very good pictures of its insides. It has 8 channels in on 4 x 5 pin XLR's and two sets of outputs, one at 0dB of gain and another at -10dB gain to drive the rather lower line input on the Nagra. It has resulted in astonishing sound quality improvement in my little chamber music rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-p1020526.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-p1020527.jpg  
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear

David,

Do you know what their preamps sound like? It's a company I've never heard of and I'm always in the game for something new and . . . well . . . different! My best audio purchases have been from very small companies - it looks like you may have hit a winner with them.

MohThoM
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear

Hi David,

Could you please explain what the red box does for your recordings?

A use-case would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old 29th January 2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Glad you approve Plushy, its right up your alley. Here are some not very good pictures of its insides. It has 8 channels in on 4 x 5 pin XLR's and two sets of outputs, one at 0dB of gain and another at -10dB gain to drive the rather lower line input on the Nagra. It has resulted in astonishing sound quality improvement in my little chamber music rig.
How cool is that? -- Awesome!
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear

Thank you , David for the details and pics. It seems like a very elegant and good solution.
Good for you!! I am also a big fan of the Amek DMA (mine was stolen). It was good then and good now. Very high quality sound from that RN unit. Luv the miniature VU meters on the red box.
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear

Its designed and built by Warren Huck Hux Electronics Home to my stringent specifications. Warren is a master designer.

Basically I was sick of mixing my high quality mic pre outputs in mixers which were full of bells and whistles I did not need. Generally on classical chamber music gigs I do not need pan, L/C/R are all I need, I do not need gain as I have this on the mic pres themselves and I certainly do not need EQ or trim.

So I said to Warren to build me a minimum path active mixer that can drive two stereo balanced outputs, and the little red brick is what resulted.

The sound quality is unconstrained, the lowest noise floor I have ever heard and now this silky air around vocals and instruments I have not heard before, presumably because the mixers used were destroying the signal in a small way.

Warren has some more info on his website, (scroll down).
Hux Electronics Soapbox

I am in the middle of an audiophile solo piano CD of Beethoven, will post some samples soon, but this is the highest quality recording I have made. Danish stuff figures prominently, 4006TL's on piano, TC preamp and TC SK48 interface. Of course, and Plushy knows the reason, the AMEK 9098 is the main pre looking after the 4006's, the TC Gold Channel has the MK21 outriggers.
Old 30th January 2008
Gear Nut

This is my over the shoulder sound bag.... Lectrosonics VRF wireless systems w/ Sanken COS-11 Lavs, Wendt X5 mixer & Sound Devices 702T Recorder.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-ssrrig2.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-ssrrig.jpg  
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Generally on classical chamber music gigs I do not need pan, L/C/R are all I need, I do not need gain as I have this on the mic pres themselves and I certainly do not need EQ or trim.
David

How do you select L/C/R output from individual mic inputs?

Will you be at Entech?

Larry
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Elliott View Post
David

How do you select L/C/R output from individual mic inputs?

Will you be at Entech?

Larry
Hi Larry, the stereo inputs are 5 pin XLR's. I have some splitter cables with 2 XLR on one end and a single 5 pin on the other.

To get L or R only, plug into the L side only or the right side only, C is plug into both.

Re Entech, no I will not be there, completely snowed with work of various natures. Are you ever around BrisVegas?
Old 2nd February 2008
Here for the gear

Hey guys,
Found this website while searching for a good splitter snake. Been doing mobile recording for about a year now, and I'm glad I finally found other guys doing it! I do mostly live rock bands, and some concert band/choir shows. heres the rig I use:

Started doing this on my own without anyone to really tell me ways to do this, so I may have developed some unorthodox ways, but I've been learning. I use a PC that I built in a rack-mounted server case. I use a MOTU 24 I/O interface, hooked up to the Allen & heath GL-2400. I started with a Mackie 1600 Onyx with the firewire output, at an attempt in an all-in-one interface, and that was just a disaster. Some shows I leave the board out, and just use direct outputs on the house board into my MOTU. Look forward to posting with you guys, and getting as much help as I can!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-mobilerig.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Here's one from both my earlier and current setups.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_0894_2.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_1668.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2008
Lives for gear

It has evolved a bit from this pic but I still use the van to get there.
And to go fishing in.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-vanandgearcropped.jpg  
Old 2nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Here you go...

Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-picture004.jpg  
Old 5th February 2008
Gear Maniac

FWIW

Hope I'm not too late to post this.

This rig took me many years to get to, but it really makes recording small groups, schools, etc., very easy.

What's in the rack?

Benchmark Pre420 - a great 4 ch pre with summing amps and pan, so you can mike a stereo pair plus two solos.

UA 2192 A/D-D/A converter

Alesis Masterlink

Coleman Meters - very sexy and will boost your on-site CD sales considerably.

Rackrider power and light module.

I use AKG C 480 B-ULS with both cardioid and omni capsules, plus Neumann TLM-193 mostly for solos.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-recording_gig.jpg  
Old 5th February 2008
Gear Maniac

I forgot to mention . . .

The Sony CD recorder gives me the superbit mapping. I usually cut a master than drop it into the computer for final editing (mastering, if you will)
Old 5th February 2008
Lives for gear

John,

You have 2 A/D channels, and four mic amps.

I'm guessing you mix the four signals from the Benchmark down to a stereo pair?
Old 5th February 2008
Gear Nut

Same, but different.

Jimbo,

I should just copy your picture and use it for mine. Our systems are very similar, just swap one 2882 for a ULN-2. How do you like the ATI?

Pics to come.
Old 5th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Jimbo,

I should just copy your picture and use it for mine. Our systems are very similar, just swap one 2882 for a ULN-2. How do you like the ATI?

Pics to come.
Hi,

The first picture has a 2882+DSP, a ULN2, and my Hamptone HJFP2.

I added a second 2882 (non +DSP), and sold the ULN2 for the ATI. That's what you see in the second pic.

I really like the ATI. The mixer has its moments, but I just do my mixes in the MH boxes anyway. The ATI preamps are great, and in similar sonic territory as the 2882 preamps. Based on the limited A/B comparison I've done, they are slightly mid-forward compared to the 2882 preamps, and a little bit faster. I posted the details in another thread in this forum.

I used my ULN2 as a monitor/headphone controller. I was able to get the same functionality form the ATI by setting the internal jumpers. The ATI headphone amp blows the pants off the 2882 headphone amp (which isn't hard to do). I didn't compare it with the ULN2 headphone amp.

The ATI is definitely a bad-ass little box!
Old 5th February 2008
here's my recording rig from Poor David's Pub in Dallas last Thursday...
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-sara_rigsmall.jpg  
Old 5th February 2008
Lives for gear

Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-jerryjoseph2007-08-31054.jpg  
Old 5th February 2008
Lives for gear

David (Spearitt),

Do you know which editions of the Beethoven you'll be using? If you're recording any of the piano sonatas, please bear in mind that if you're making a beautiful recording that you want to stand out in every regard, the new Associated Board edition has just been published, edited by none other than the monolith of Beethoven, Barry Cooper. From what he tells me for the odd thirty seconds or so in the time we're in the lift together, there's THOUSANDS of errors in the earlier (Tovey, Liszt etc.) versions (but from what I know of Prof. C, these errors could be slurs not meeting the noteheads 'just so').

The 35 Piano Sonatas, Volumes 1–3 - ABRSM Publishing: http://www.abrsmpublishing.com if you have any interest . . .

If only we could get him to release the famous Opera 101 Christmas lecture on DVD . . .

MohThoM
Old 5th February 2008
Lives for gear

tapermark2006 gig is the coolest (at night!)...
Old 5th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Answer to Jimbo

Hi Jimbo,

With student orchestras and choirs, I generally record L-C-R, leaving a spare channel for solos. The Benchmark Pre 420 allows me to mix live. This is really more than satisfactory for this type of work.

I had been using an 8 ch Ashly directly into the Masterlink, but obviously, it was no where as clean as this set up, and I really never used more the 4 ch anyway.
Old 6th February 2008
Lives for gear

For now....

It's been a while, but this is an always evolving setup...
The Helios rack is now a full 8 modules.
The second rack holds the Genex 9048, and a new Radar V Super Nyquist.

I will be updating everything very soon!
Have some new ideas....
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-remote-8.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-remote-6.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-remote-12.jpg  
Old 9th February 2008
Gear Addict

Nice Nob, Very Slutty! I'm guessing that 's a custom case...are those cool mounting brackets for the speakers & monitor unique to it?
Old 10th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Here's my PT rig sitting in the house of Fletcher Theater next to the house sound console.

I used a splitter snake that you can almost see under the table.

Under the table on the left is the Furman headphone monitor for my headphones. Next is a PreSonus M80 8-channel preamp which is connected to the 882/20 I/O that is sitting on top of the center rack.

The center rack has two Digi PREs connected to a 192 I/O. The 882/20 connects to the legacy port on the 192 I/O. On the right is my Macintosh G4 computer in a Marathon rack case. The purple rack ears are my design to get the Marathon rack case to fit in a SKB case.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-dsc03468-small.jpg  
Old 10th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Similar system at a small church.

This time there is a 96i I/O sitting vertically between racks.

You can see my Rapco splitter snake in the rear view.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-dsc02353-small.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-dsc02367-small.jpg  
Old 10th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Similar Pro Tools system in a dressing room under the stage at Duke University for Ben Folds.

On top is a JBL 6208 monitor speaker snug in a SKB rack case.

A video projector is projecting the view from stage-right on the dressing room wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-dsc01017-hard-work-smaller.jpg  
Old 10th February 2008
Gear Maniac

This was for a bluegrass band with only 8-inputs.

The Digidesign 003R, dbx preamps, and laptop was the backup to the big PT system.

I'm set up just off stage right.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-pt-rear-small.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-pt-rig-small.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search