The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Remote Possibilities Role Call... Post Your Name, Rank & Specialty Right Here! Condenser Microphones
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Name:
Zak Cohen

Owner/Producer/Engineer/Receptionist/Bookeeper/Janitor/Client Counselor at the Woodshop Studio on Vancouver Island BC. Not necessarily in that order.

Specialty:
See above.

Thought for today:
A prune is STILL not a vegetable.

-Z-
Old 2nd January 2007
Here for the gear

Jimmy from JDM Mobile Recording

gearslutz
I am Jimmy and unfortunately don't have much time to get on Gearslutz, but what a wonderful place for knowledge! Steve runs a great remote forum ... I started a remote location recording company in April of 2006. To me remote location recording is exciting because it is a hybrid between studio and live. Detail is the word, back up for everything is the standard.<p>
JDM Mobile | Remote location recording and broadcast company.. is our web site. We work hard for the little bit of money we earn. We provide what I think is one of the better service teams in the industry for remote location recording. We offer a 40-foot remote truck (named Beluga) and many fly packs of Pro Tools HD rigs and much much more. We also have launched "built to suite" studios for record projects.<p>

I continue with a full production content outfit and a music production/writing gig as well.

Guy at LeMobile is the primary reason that I chose this career path. What he does is not as important as how he does it.

Thanks for having us!
Jimmy
[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails
Remote Possibilities Role Call... Post Your Name, Rank &amp; Specialty Right Here!-slutzedit.jpg  
Old 2nd January 2007
Lives for Jesus

Hi Jimmy, Welcome

Nice truck !

Quote:
love the studio, but there is nothing like the detail it takes to get it right when you only have a single pass.
We still do it that way here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmmobile View Post
gearslutz
I am Jimmy and unfortunately don't have much time to get on Gearslutz, but what a wonderful place for knowledge! Steve runs a great remote forum ... I started a remote location recording company in April of 2006. To me remote location recording is exciting because it is a hybrid between studio and live. Detail is the word, back up for everything is the standard.<p>
JDM Mobile | Remote location recording and broadcast company.. is our web site. We work hard for the little bit of money we earn. We provide what I think is one of the better service teams in the industry for remote location recording. We offer a 40-foot remote truck (named Beluga) and many fly packs of Pro Tools HD rigs and much much more. We also have launched "built to suite" studios for record projects.<p>

I continue with a full production content outfit and a music production/writing gig as well.

Guy at LeMobile is the primary reason that I chose this career path. What he does is not as important as how he does it.

Thanks for having us!
Jimmy
[email protected]
Old 3rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Name
Roland Clarke

Rank
27 years, Recording man, sometimes producer, has done everything from punk to early music,general slut for a paying gig. p.s. I like the odd live PA gig for the "sport".

Gear Used
Neumann, B&K, Schoeps, Shure, AKG, Microtech Geffel, Beyer, Sony, Pearl, Pyramix, Studer, Neve, anything I can lay my hands on Beringher anyone???

Specialities
Classical and Jazz location work, fair bit of mastering.

Some Career Highlights
Royal Opera House, London Mozart Players, Philharmonia, English Classical Players, Maria Ewing, Maurice Hasson, Hugh Bean, Vladamir Ovchinikov.

Most fun gig
Live sound for Rolf Harris "G'day mate"
Old 4th January 2007
Gear Nut

Interesting place you got here! I've checked in from time to time over the years, but think I should definitely keep track of the very rich flow of knowledge and wisdom flowing through this forum.

I'm Karl Jackson, and have been doing location classical recording for the last 12 years, on the order of 90 jobs per year, not counting rehearsals. I work in a bit of a unique niche, and feel very honored (and humbled) to do so, so I'll take a minute to tell you a little about it.

I am chief bottle washer for the Marine Band in Washington DC, where my office provides all manner of audio and video support for concert and ceremonial music engagements. We do everything from session recording to concert recording to video and DVD production to sound and video editing, archival work, sound reinforcement, etc... The saying "jack of all trades, master of none" is more truth than cliche in my case I'm afraid.

I am blessed with a wonderful laboratory for recording classical music. We recently moved into a new facility with three large isolated recording rooms, the biggest of which is 196,000 cubic feet. We've got a deep mic cabinet that's well stocked w/ Neumann, Schoeps, Royer, Shure, AKG, etc... Most of my location work is done w/ the Senn MKH series though (800, 20, 40, 30). We're recording w/ HV3D and Mytek 8X96, mixing w/ DM1000 and 02R96, to MIO 2882/Masterlink/HD24, editing with SADiE. We also field a medium live sound rig (Crown powered KF650/SB600) for outdoor (or loud) shows in addition to a smaller Meyer UPA1 rig for indoor gigs.

So in addition to lots of location recording, I have the opportunity to mix lots of live sound, do archival work with recordings dating as far back as 1889, and produce tens of CDs and DVDs annually.

A few highlights thus far have included supporting the last several presidential inaugurations, recording John Corigliano's Circus Maximus in all of its surround sound glory, observing Ward Marston transfer cylinder recordings, and having the opportunity to fly mics into everything from Alice Tully Hall to Benaroya Hall to Meyerson to Boston Symphony Hall to the Eastman Theater. The biggest honor of my work, though, has been the chance to work with (learn from) many folks like Ward, Pat Baltzell and Graig Grecco, John Newton & co., Bob Katz, Bruce Leek, and many others whose expertise is simply astounding to me.

So I'm back (mostly) to lurk mode, but would like to extend a huge thanks to Steve and others who so generously share their time and talents in this forum.

Best,

Karl Jackson
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Welcome, Jimmy, and Welcome Karl!

Good to have you both here.

We look forward to your participation.

Jim
Old 4th January 2007
Here for the gear

On location recording

Hi Steve
You told me regarding this forum and for whatever reason I never read it till today. I am very impressed. I will keep and eyes and if I see some interesting questions then I can answer, I will gladly do it. I might not post as often then you do.
As you may know if someone call me I will always answer, I have no secret and welcome anyone asking questions. We might record music using few different ideas and equipment but we all try to get the best sound possible. Learning is that what keep us going ?

Guy
Le Mobile
We're sure you'll like the sound •••••
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Allright Guy!

It's about time you showed up---

I'd sure love to see how the expado-wall turned out on that beautiful black truck.

I gotta say, Guy was so gracious to show me his shop- I felt like i was 8 yrs old and getting to tour the Apollo 13 capsule.

He does everything on such a meticulous level- it's amazing.

Welcome to GS !!!
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Welcome Guy, & LeMobile!

Good to have you here.

Jim
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

What's Up, Remotesters?

Well I never offically checked in, so I guess I'll do that now...

Name: Dirk Cota

We're the guppy in the big-ass pond (Nashville, TN) and offer 2 to 24 channel recording in local clubs, mainly for jazz and blues artists. The occasional oddball gig (string quartets and carillons!) too. Most of our stuff is straight live recording and turning over tracks to the artists for their own use, but I did actually mix a live record for a local band last year and we do have some gear to make that happen in-house as well. Most of our regular clients can barely cover their bar tabs at the shows though, so we're not getting rich quickly - that's for sure!

Slowly picking up a little steam, and maybe one day I'll actually be able to make a living doing this instead of working for the man.

Come check us out and if you're ever in Nashvegas, be sure to say hi!

Many thanks to Remoteness, JvB, fifthcircle, sonare and so many of the other regular contributors to this forum who have contributed their experiences and knowledge - your posts have been a tremendous asset to me and I like to think I've actually learned a few things from the wealth of info that comes through here every day!
Old 4th January 2007
Lives for gear

Welcome, DIRK!!!

Very cool.

Old 4th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Wow, Guy...

Its very nice to see you here...

Cheers,

Click
Old 5th January 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemobile View Post
Hi Steve
You told me regarding this forum and for whatever reason I never read it till today. I am very impressed. I will keep and eyes and if I see some interesting questions then I can answer, I will gladly do it. I might not post as often then you do.
As you may know if someone call me I will always answer, I have no secret and welcome anyone asking questions. We might record music using few different ideas and equipment but we all try to get the best sound possible. Learning is that what keep us going ?

Guy
Le Mobile
We're sure you'll like the sound •••••
Welcome Guy,

I am so happy you found the time to come visit us here at the "Remote Possibilities..." forum. It's truly an honor to have you on board our little remote recording forum.

If there's any thing I can do to help make your visits to this board a better experience please do not hesitate to PM, email or call me anytime.

I'm sure one of your posts will equal ten of mine!

As always thank you for your time, consideration and candor with regard to my forum.

All the best to you and yours my friend!
Old 5th January 2007
Gear Nut

A quick, official Hello and all the best for 2007 to all the guys who make this forum such a great place to check out. The amount of pro knowlede, great ideas, suitable advice and different opinions you guys spread is amazing and truly appreciated. This really is what a forum should be all about!!

Name: Philipp Potz

Rank: small scale, location recording engineer in Japan....

Any questions about what's happening out here, industry contacts or how to roll some quality sushi.....fire along!!

A friendly Konnichiwa,

phil. thumbsup
Old 5th January 2007
Here for the gear

Forum

Hi Steve
As you might know I love cars, specially Corvette ZO6 and time to time I check their forum. Now I believe I found another one I will read often and try to be part of.
No matter the question asked on the forum we always find something to learn or perhaps to share some experience.

Today with the advance of the technology I feel we forget what is recording music.
First the source, the recording will never sound good if the band does not play well, No Neve, ProTools expensive microphones will replace good players. Next, I record so many shows where I wonder about the mic. techniques. Lately, if we don't have 3 mic. on a guitar, it's not right. As far as I am concerned, it is more important to only have one, but at the right position. Most of the time multiple mic. will only be louder. Of course sometime you might need to use more then one as some EFX need to be achieved. You see nothing is in concrete when you do recording, your ears are the judge, and don't be fooled by 'louder'. Also another of my concerns is the recording level on digital format (ProTools/Hard drive) this can be a thread by itself.
Because I like everything at the right place and to be able to understand what is going on after we are done with the project, file management is a must. Computers make it too easy to create a mess. I am forcing my self to label tracks, and before starting a mix to have a plan, just not starting to move files without any concern.

Talking about mess, Le Mobile today is a mess, I am re-doing some wiring as I am updating to have 96 I/O of ProTools using Apogee converter, we were 64 I/O in the past year. Of course this is multiplied by 2, as we need to run a redundant system for safety. I wonder how I was recording Rush, Genesis and Grateful Dead on 23 TK, one was kept for Time Code.
Le Mobile was originally built in 1977 and for what ever reason it will be never finished, we always have to update as we always have to learn.
Welcome to the recording world.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Guru

Name:
Charles Maynes

Independent Sound Designer and recordist for Feature Film and Videogames

Specialty:
Film Sound Design, field recording, blowing stuff up, getting real dusty...
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Nut

Now THIS was a crew

I had the good fortune to be part of this crew on the Record Plant Remote Trucks in the late 70's and 80's. (left to right: Kooster McAllister, Peter Hefter, Dave Hewitt, Phil Gitomer, and myself, David "db" Brown) I'm retired, footless (LOL) and fancy free, raising kids in Alabama. Maybe we should start a thread on here about the practical jokes that used to be played at RPS; I recall one about me and Peter, a Billy Joel gig, Kooster and a little transistor radio hidden inside the console. Nice thread, hi to Remoteness.
Attached Thumbnails
Remote Possibilities Role Call... Post Your Name, Rank &amp; Specialty Right Here!-daboys.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear
It sure is an honor to see you guys here!

All the best to you.

Daire

Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Alabama?

Hey man, where in Alabama are you? I'm just south of the in the edge of Florida..

Kirk

www.mastermixrecording.com.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Head

Name:
George

Lifelong audio nut

Specialty:
Philadelphia PA area
small regional bands, choirs

Onyx 1640 > Alesis HD24
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Name:
Dave

Region: South-west/Bristol, UK.

Speciality: Jack of all trades musician (keyboards/guitar/bass/drums), toured Europe as a keyboard player in the early '90's, have been doodling away on various musical projects for 15 years or so, started picking up paid location work over the last year (choir/small orchestras/folk/rock/jazz).

Thought for the Day: Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light.

Old 25th January 2007
Here for the gear

Late chiming in, but bette late than never, no?

OK,

So I'm doing this all wrong! (and late) But here goes, anyway.....

Name:
Phil Edwards

Remote truck owner, studio engineer

Specialty:
Well, I guess it's remote recording.... first professional remote was on a project for Ike Turner (capturing the "Ike and Tina Turner Review" at "Basin Street West" in San Francisco - circa 1968... great story on this!!)

Thought for today:
The greatest value of projects we undertake is in the relationships we make.
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Name:
Guy (I guess it's Guy#2 on this forum)

Non-Pro and only about half a dozen recordings in a year

Interest:
Minimalist, Reel-2-Reel stereo
Folk guitar - Folk/Blues Rock

Gear:
the chain is usually
mics either stereo Schoeps / Gefell / Royer set up on stage
to Pendulum or API pre
to TEAC 15 ips reel to reel with cassette back-up.

Still a puzzle for me, especially the vocal
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Head

Role Call

Name:
Mark Miller
Kalara Studios

Studio Owner, Remote Record Rack Road Rog...Ruh, Roh

Cereal: Cinamin Toast Crunh, mmmmm

Interests:
Music, music, music, snowboarding, beaches, great food, lovlies

Region:
Mostly NW and West Coast, but have been as far as South Carolina

Gear:
48 input PT HD
Attached Thumbnails
Remote Possibilities Role Call... Post Your Name, Rank &amp; Specialty Right Here!-lady-red.jpg  
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Addict

Who Dunnit, Huh?

Ahhh, good thread, Steve! Great posts, too, lots of reasons for jealousy!

Okay, here I go:

Name: Mark Stearns

Company: PGR Media/Pretty Good Recordings, Pacific Grove CA

How Long? I've got a BA in theater from SUNY Oswego, NY. tech concentration - there weren't any recording schools (or not many) in 1974. School of hard knocks only! I started in live sound way back in 1973, in Oswego, New York. I worked for Lou Futterman's Next City Corporation for about a year, and did some freelance stuff along the way, as well. I changed careers in 1977, then came back to my passion in 1999, on on the remote recording side. I am a Real Small Fish, but that doesn't diminish my passion for learning and getting things right! My gear is "affordable but good" - Royer, Presonus, Alesis, AEA, Rode, Earthworks, etc.

Region: Central Coast of California - strictly local (keep it simple, stoopid)

Interests: Music, recording, listening to music, theater, riding my motorcycle, hiking in the Sierras, flying

Last edited by mrsteaks; 6th February 2007 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: More stuff!
Old 6th March 2007
Here for the gear

first a minnow, with sites on becoming a fish

Michael Proctor here... total newcomer to the forum... thanks, Steve for the talk & your insight!

I've had some limited success with totally substandard equipment... Recorded for years on an Akai GX400 D SS 4 track 15ips reel to reel with only one really good mic (AKG C414EB), upgraded over the last 8 years little by little: Avalon 2022, AudioToys 8MX2, RME, Creamware, Samplitude, Rode, Studio Projects, Shure, etc.

Only 7 CD projects under my belt since 1999... Brad Blackwood mastered 2 of them... funny thing is, some of the recordings that have received more positive feedback for us were the ones that technically and sonically were substandard... people just liked the songs, the energy, and the spontenaneous nature of the live music...

I'm really looking forward to improving the technical and sonic qualities of our recordings... we want to specialize in live, spontaneous worship music... lots of jamming and creating new songs during the music... as well as increasing creative studio recordings.

Michael
www.elishasrequest.com
Old 6th March 2007
Gear Nut

Name: Seth Kent
Done FOH, tour suport, stage managing, studio recording, bedroom recording
Super curious about moble recording.
Been working with audio for 15 years. Pro? sometimes.
In Denver and the East Coast.
Gear, a mishmash.
Old 7th March 2007
Gear Head
Name:
Michal Olownia

ambitious beginner, a few recordings done (studio, home, live)

Specialty:
been sound recording enthusiast and musician for years and engineer for less than that
Based out of Krakow, Poland and NYC.

Interests:
music, music, music...............................and then books (never have time), film, soccer and coral reef free diving
Old 7th March 2007
Super Moderator

Welcome fellas,

It's great to see you folks here, especially since you're relatively new to GS and this forum or you were lurkers that decided to become a member.

Thank you to the people that posted their first post on this thread.

That's simply awesome!
Old 19th March 2007
Gear Addict

Name:
Jason

Foot soldier in the war for free drinks for the band, proud freelancer! Bosses are for schmucks. Schmucks with security and health insurance...

Specialty:
Big sheer insanity gospel recordings, live rawk bands, jazz, legit, mostly location recording, reharmonizing girl from ipanema to maintain sanity on club gigs, glueing my upright back together and getting pissed that bass repairs have yet again dipped into my gear funds.

Interests:
Opening beers with lighters. The fulcrum is a magical thing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search