The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Remote Possibilities Role Call... Post Your Name, Rank & Specialty Right Here! Condenser Microphones
Old 25th June 2010
Lives for gear

I'm Philip Perkins, I work in the San Francisco area. I've been a sound man for about 34 years.

I do location recording: dialog etc for film/video (incl features and docs as well as lots of less glamorous work); location music recording, usually in connection with a video shoot of a musical performance, and audio post production for indie features, docs, web stuff and some music.

This seems like a very knowledgeable group of people--I've been lurking here for awhile.

Philip Perkins
http://www.philper.com
IMDB: Philip Perkins
Old 25th June 2010
Super Moderator

Hello everyone,

Thanks for chiming in and telling us a little bit about yourselves.

Our forum has become a really nice community and I must thank you all (well, almost all) for making it so!

Welcome and congratulations to all that make this the great place it has become.
Old 3rd August 2010
Here for the gear
Name
Eric Xu

Rank
Owner/engineer of tiny startup company JPEX Productions
Based out of New Jersey and NYC

Specialty
Classical onlocation
rock (generic)

Thoughts
hopefully this will turn into a successful venture
Old 10th September 2010
Here for the gear

G'day remotesters!

Dan here from sunny Australia (although it's been raining in the north and flooding down south the last week or so, it is usually very pleasant)!

I've been following remote possibilities for a good few months now and nearing the point where i'm up to asking a few curvy questions i haven't been able to find solutions for so i thought i'd get introductions out of the way.

I've been working for a zero-budget community broadcaster for a few years now (mainly spot production, outside broadcast teching, in-studio performance mixes) and do a bit of band recording on the side in my own time. Really a jack of all trades, master of none type thing but i believe i'm starting to find a niche.

Working more live music into our outside broadcasts has been my pet project at the station and my last recording project was tracked all live in a currently underused cinema theatre... all leading me further and further down the path of the remotester.

The tips you guys and gals put up daily has been invaluable. So much so i picked up a book on the topic a while back and found it to be really light on the details that, as many before me have said, is already ingrained knowledge picked up from this forum.

So! If it doesn't annoy everyone too much in the near future i may have some questions on how to do things with no budget and bits of odd kit cobbled together from a few decades of no budget radio.

Nice to meet you all! Have a lovely day!

Dan
Old 10th September 2010
Super Moderator

Dan,

Thanks for chiming in and goes for you too Eric.

Around here there are no stupid questions just stupid answers. heh

I trust you will continue to learn from and enjoy the dynamic of this (IMO) awesome helpful forum.
Old 16th September 2010
Here for the gear

Session guitars - Producing

Name: Nathan Eshman
Company: Nathan Eshman
Specialty: POP/Rock producer - Remote session guitars
Equipment: motu/cubase5/vox/gretsch/AT/sure/DBX and much more

Hey all, check out my website www.nathaneshman.com

Recently I've been working on tracks for people all over the world from Australia to NAshville to Germany. Recent projects include playing guitars on Freddie Frederikson's (ex-toto front man) new album, Playing guitars for Candice Alley (ARIA award winner), Darlene Zschech (Hillsong Church) and Marcia Hines.

Send me an MP3 guide track and I'll shoot you through a quote.

All audio examples on website.
Old 29th September 2010
Quote:
Around here there are no stupid questions just stupid answers. heh
Sometimes, when one of my students began to ask a question and started out "This is probably a stupid question but..." I would stop them and say "There are no stupid questions...only stupid people...who ask questions...now what's your question?" That usually gets a smile.
Old 30th September 2010
Super Moderator

Yep, that is indeed another way to say it;-)

The mindset of this forum is that (almost) anything goes as long as it enriches our minds and helps the community at large.

I truly like the way this forum has developed.

...and, it seems to be getting better everyday.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Hi, everyone! I have no compelling reason to post my info, other than I'm a friendly person. I've refrained until now because this place can get pretty rough (I've been reading this forum for years). Talk about a tough room, it's not quite fit for a gal (like me)! heh

Okay.

My name is Sara. I do location recording only, and strictly small scale, and have for years. I was trained as an audio engineer a long time ago, and any other details will give up my age, which I am not inclined to do !

I live and work in California, south of the San Francisco Bay Area. Recording is a passion, a sideline, and not my income stream. That doesn't mean I am not serious about it.

My gear:

Apple MBP, Mackie Onyx 400F (backup only)
Alesis HD24XR, Korg MR1000 (Bussman modded), HHb CDR-882
AEA TRP, Broadhurst BG-1, Seventh Circle C84 (pair)
Royer SF-12, Beyer MC 930, Naiant X-W, Audix SCX-25A, Cascade Fat Heads (why oh why did I buy them...)
Rack cases, cable boxes, milk crates, fold up hand trucks, snakes, cables, plugs, adaptors, hard drives and caddies, and a car to carry it all around in.

A client list,

A love for the process and the music,

A sense of humor,

And, a day job!

Last edited by SaraLs; 27th December 2010 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: I forgot something
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Hello!

Hi there,

Name: Kyle Martyn-Clark

Rank: Recording Engineer/Sound Designer for Forte Sound and Media.

Gigs: Just getting started, but been location recording choirs and orchestras unprofessionally for about a year now!

Pleased to be part of this great forum!
Old 27th December 2010
Super Moderator

Welcome and I just wanted to say how happy I am that you posted your information on this thread...

I trust more of our female members will introduce themselves in the future.

IMO, I've done my best to make this forum accessible to both men and women!
It's a place (on the Internet) that's safe for everyone even boys and girls, so welcome one welcome all.

Everyone has value in my forum!
It may get a bit rough, but never juvenile.
Folks,don't never forget it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraLs View Post
Hi, everyone! I have no compelling reason to post my info, other than I'm a friendly person. I've refrained until now because this place can get pretty rough (I've been reading this forum for years). Talk about a tough room, it's not quite fit for a gal (like me)! heh

Okay.

My name is Sara. I do location recording only, and strictly small scale, and have for years. I was trained as an audio engineer a long time ago, and any other details will give up my age, which I am not inclined to do !

I live and work in California, south of the San Francisco Bay Area. Recording is a passion, a sideline, and not my income stream. That doesn't mean I am not serious about it.

My gear:

Apple MBP, Mackie Onyx 400F (backup only)
Alesis HD24XR, Korg MR1000 (Bussman modded), HHb CDR-882
AEA TRP, Broadhurst BG-1, Seventh Circle C84 (pair)
Royer SF-12, Beyer MC 930, Naiant X-W, Audix SCX-25A, Cascade Fat Heads (why oh why did I buy them...)
Rack cases, cable boxes, milk crates, fold up hand trucks, snakes, cables, plugs, adaptors, hard drives and caddies, and a car to carry it all around in.

A client list,

A love for the process and the music,

A sense of humor,

And, a day job!

Old 27th December 2010
Super Moderator

Hey Kyle,

It's great to see you here.

Welcome and enjoy our "free range" forum for awhile;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleForte View Post
Hi there,

Name: Kyle Martyn-Clark

Rank: Recording Engineer/Sound Designer for Forte Sound and Media.

Gigs: Just getting started, but been location recording choirs and orchestras unprofessionally for about a year now!

Pleased to be part of this great forum!
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Hi, Steve! It's nice to meet you, and thank you!

I'm not much of a "poster", but I do read here frequently. If I have questions, I'll ask, but I'm not much of one for banter. That makes me a target, and I get enough of that in 3D.

That said, I love the expertise and the information presented by you and others on this Forum.

Thank you again!

~~Sara
Old 27th December 2010
Super Moderator

No worries Sara, I got your back!

Quote:
Hi, Steve! It's nice to meet you, and thank you!

I'm not much of a "poster", but I do read here frequently. If I have questions, I'll ask, but I'm not much of one for banter. That makes me a target, and I get enough of that in 3D.

That said, I love the expertise and the information presented by you and others on this Forum.

Thank you again!

~~Sara
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

Remote Possibilities Role Call... Post Your Name, Rank & Specialty Right Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness
No worries Sara, I got your back!
Me too!!! I love that you're here. Plus you're close to my backyard. Do you know Lolly Lewis? She's a remote engineer from SF. Great folk too!

Plus I'm tired if all these guys all the time. Too many guys and the room starts smelling funny after awhile! Lol.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Me too!!! I love that you're here. Plus you're close to my backyard. Do you know Lolly Lewis? She's a remote engineer from SF. Great folk too!

Plus I'm tired if all these guys all the time. Too many guys and the room starts smelling funny after awhile! Lol.

LOL! Well, gentlemen, thank you!

Henry, I don't know Lolly, sorry.

Don't change anything because I'm here, please!
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

Remote Possibilities Role Call... Post Your Name, Rank & Specialty Right Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraLs

Well, I might wear some nicer shoes. . Just kidding. You're part of the gang. No go changin'.
Old 27th December 2010
Super Moderator

Quote:

No, I don't plan on changing anything; this forum is doing just fine and I still have your back;-)
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Hi,

Long time lurker and very occasional poster - thought it was about time to say hello properly.

Name: John Leonard

Rank: Theatre Sound Designer, sound effects recordist and occasional remote music recording/mixing person.

Location: London, United Kingdom, though happy to be almost anywhere, especially NYC.

Gear:

Computers: MacBook Pro, MacPro, PowerBook G4

Interfaces: Metric Halo ULN-8 x2, Metric Halo 2882 +DSP 2D

Other recorders: Tascam DR-680, Zoom H-1, H-2, H-4

Mics: Soundfield ST250, Soundfield SPS200-SB (Cinela Conversion), Core-Sound TetraMic, Sennheiser MKH418, Sony MS-5, Schoeps CMC6-UG x 2, MK4 x 2, MK6, DPA4061 x 2 (stealth set.)

DAW/Editors: Nuendo2, 3, 4 & 5, PT9LE, WaveEditor, TwistedWave, Reaper, Amadeus Pro, Audacity, DSP-Quattro, Audacity. (I know, but they all have their useful bits!) Assorted Plug-Ins, especially Izoptope RX-2, Altiverb and Speakerphone.

Other stuff: Rycote windshields of all shapes and sizes, PortaBrace for the Tascam, couple of boom poles, assorted Sony headphones, Glyph PortaGig portable drives.

I do a great line in Spitfire and other War Bird recordings, sea sounds, trains and other interesting stuff as well as occasional classical bits and pieces.

Good to see some friends from other lists here.

Happy New Year.

John
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Name: Chris Leonard

Gear: Plenty of it.

My firm works in professional audio-visual design and installation, as well as fiber and copper cabling, and IT AV. We're a small operation with a couple of full time employees, and are always scrapping for the next contract.

Recent & upcoming projects:
Ghost Ranch Saloon, Steamboat Springs, CO.
Envysion Corporate Offices, Lafayette, CO.
Madhouse Theatre, Hollywood Roosevelt, LA.

Web-links:
Boschen Technologies
Blue Sun

Not related to John Leonard above, unless that's my dad posting from UK....
Or maybe we are related; have lots of English, German, & Irish in me blood... kinda triple threat.

Last edited by Boschen; 8th January 2011 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: it's me blood!
Old 13th January 2011
Here for the gear

Hello everyone,

I posted for the first time the other day and decided it was rude of me not to introduce myself first. Please accept this retroactive introduction.

My name is Tomas, I work as a freelance engineer in the Salt Lake City area doing concerts & corporate events.

Specialty is acoustic music by default as I just seem to land those gigs more than others. My location rec. rig gets a work out now and then but not as much as I hope it will in the future. It consists of an HD24XR with BG pres and a Black Lion Sig003r with PT9 and Aphex pres as a back up unit.
And of course there's the splitters, van, the cables & snakes, the wonderful wonderful mics and stands, the road cases and bags, the road kit with testers and adapters, and everything else that makes the world go round.

I have to say I absolutely love this forum and the general spirit of the community with its collegial attitude and support for even the most inexperienced wisdom seeker. Thanks to everyone that makes this place the wonderful place that it is!
Old 13th January 2011
Super Moderator

Welcome welcome welcome; it's great to see you here!

Tomas, thank you for noticing the positive mindset and cool vibe of this forum.
I work hard making sure everybody is as comfortable as possible.

That said, it could not be accomplished without the genuine efforts of each and everyone of you!
This is indeed a lovely community for all to enjoy.
Old 1st February 2011
Here for the gear

Name: Andy Cowling

Specialty: I am a classical guitarist. I have been making recordings for fun, audition CDs, and practice purposes for several years. I just started the process of making/gearing up to make some "serious" recordings with classical guitar, electro-acoustic compositions and classical guitar/voice.

Gear:

Macbook Pro 15"
Logic 9
Apogee Duet
AKG C414 XLS/ST
AKG K701

Thanks for having such a great site with a TON of great information. Although this is my first post, I have been reading and lurking for months.
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear Head

Eric Freeman.

Owner-Engineer-Producer- Valley West Studios
Worked at Shokin Vibez in Kingston Jamaica. Now I'm thankfull to be back in the states working.

Specialize in Reggae, Flamenco, Jazz and now back to my roots (Classical). have about 12-15 location gigs a year and only a handful of studio gigs a year.

Very thankful to work in the industry and GS.

Last edited by eman; 2nd February 2011 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: info
Old 10th February 2011
Gear Head
Name: "Uncle" Don Leaman

Speciality: Do I really have one in music? Probably technology in general - mostly outside the musical realms....

Gear (Location): 2010 Macbook Pro 17" 8GB/500GB/eSATA, Focusrite Saffire Pro40(x2), Focusrite OctoPre MkII(x2), 32ch passive splitter snake(15'x30'), RackRider power conditioner, various cases, bags, mics, stands, etc.

Gear (Mix): Mac Pro Quad Core, 16GB RAM, Logic, FaderPort, US-2400, Axiom49, 28" LED Widescreen(x2), Macbook Pro (above) for Logic Node

General: Guys, I just do this for fun - it's been a dream of mine for decades to have a 'viable' mobile recording rig, where I can record (for free) artists who appeal to me musically. I like anything from classical to jazz to Zappa (my musical icon). If I'm lucky, I'll record 3 shows a year - mostly the mixing takes up what little "spare" time I have outside my day job and my family. This Saturday night will find me in North Olmsted, OH (near my home on the east side of Cleveland) recording "Sugar Magnolia", a Grateful Dead tribute band.

I sure appreciate everything that "happens" here in this forum and on GS in general - you folks are inspirational for me (and others), so thanks. I'll try to lurk less, and contribute more as time goes on. May even put up some 'ruffs' of the upcoming show for mix critique. Cheers from the east suburbs of Cleveland, OH!
Old 23rd February 2011
Here for the gear

Hi, I'm mixing all kinds of TV shows in Scandinavia. Sports broadcasts, talkshows, music events etc.

Also I record and mix all kinds of music including music for TV commercials etc.
Old 24th February 2011
Super Moderator

Welcome!

I cannot wait for you folks to post some ideas, thoughts or discoveries.
Old 1st March 2011
Here for the gear

Name:
Joshua Pettinger

Owner and Operator of Wicked Squid Productions

Specialty:
I run A/V recording and post production for punk and metal bands. I'm really into documenting underground stuff that doesn't reach the surface of mainstream awareness. For me there's something special about raw, aggressive, spontaneous insanity that's captivating.

Thought for today:
Coffeee
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear Head

Remote Forum Role Call...

Name: Wookiemonstah

Speciality: Vintage (valve etc.) gear, Soundfield and conventional recording/production Soundtrack composition/recording and effects for computer games, local music scene, keeping it real, fiddling with old stuff, hardware, software, wetware, etc.

Thought for today: Don't ask to borrow it as a kick in a nuts often offends.

Next gig: music video shoot (with real live sound!) next week, unpaid, pro bono etc. for the love of the music, kicks, kudos etc.
Old 17th March 2011
Lives for gear

Hey all, first time posting in this forum. I mostly chill out in the Bass traps/diffuser forum but have been expanding my GS views lately heh

anywhos, here goes

Name:
GS Torea

Hmm, well, if you remote recorders are the military personnel, then I guess that makes me the guy fishing in the ocean who spots the cruiser off on the horizon

Specialty:
Nothing... yet =D

Thought for today:
Looking forward to checking out this forum and looking for a good portable rack-ish thing that'll let me put all my gear in one thing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search