The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

compressor for double bass Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 17th December 2007
Gear maniac

Question compressor for double bass

I have a friend who play the upright bass and I wanted to buy him a compressor for christmas. What is a good compressor for live use and that is around 200 dollars or less. I know a lot of people use the 166XL for bass, but would that also be alright for a double bass? Give me some options here... symetrix, ashly, dbx??? the cheaper the better heh
Old 17th December 2007
Gear interested

RNC?
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

I don't perform or track through it, but I use a dbx 163x on upright bass for mixing quite a bit, as long as the setting is fairly low. I like it better than an RNC or 166XL, both of which I have. You should be able to get one for under $100 easy.
Old 17th December 2007
Gear maniac

cheaper than a 166XL eh? I have heard that RNC is not great at compressing bass (FMR audio even makes that claim) so that one is out of the question. I will check out the 163.

Any other suggestions??
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

The 163x is a single channel, and it is a very simple unit: one slider for compressor settings and one rotary dial for level--that keeps it pretty cheap. However, if you want two channels for any reason, you can buy two individuals and there's a connector on the back for linking them together. Or, if you like the dbx soft knee sound, take a look at an older 166 (with colored knobs). They have more mojo than the current 166XL, and you should be able to get one for less than $200 pretty easily.

Another option in your price range could be a used ART Pro VLA.

I've found that the RNC tends to thin out the bass somewhat. It's pretty clean otherwise, but in general, I prefer the older dbx units on bass.
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

Try to check out the EBS comp pedal, especially for live use..

Herwig
Old 18th December 2007
cpu
Gear addict

used symmetrix 501?
Old 22nd December 2007
Gear maniac

i am keeping my eye out for the 501, i figured that might be the way to go.

Thanks for the EBS tip. Never heard of that one before but it looks interesting. i will certainly research it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search