The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

We need a audio truck in The San Fran / Bay Area in December 2007!!! Studio Monitors
Old 10th November 2007
Super Moderator

Exclamation We need a audio truck in The San Fran / Bay Area in December 2007!!!

Who's available in the San Francisco / Bay area?
It seems like its slim pickings (to none) in that region nowadays.
Bringing in a truck from Los Angeles is cost prohibitive.
We may need to do a fly pack, but there’s got to be someone available within 150 miles or so.

We need a truck for this NYE!!!

Can anyone advice?
Old 10th November 2007
Lives for gear

Did you try Phil Edwards? http://www.philedwardsrecording.com/
He's in Hayward, which is just across the bay from SF. I don't now him personally (would be happy to make his acquaintance), but he's posted here in the past under the moniker Remoteworld.

Aside from that, I don't know of any folks who have trucks the likes of which you are accustomed. There's a bunch of little guys like me who just tote around our own gear in the back of regular cars, but there's slim pickin's indeed. Many of the major studios have gone under, and many of them didn't do remote work anyway.

I'll keep looking and will report back if I can find anything else. I'd be happy to help out if there's anything I could do for you.
Old 10th November 2007
Lives for gear

Haven't talked to him in ages, but Bob Skye is probably worth a call:

Skyelabs Inc.

-dave
Old 10th November 2007
Super Moderator

Unhappy It's a crying shame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jazz View Post
Did you try Phil Edwards? Home
He's in Hayward, which is just across the bay from SF. I don't now him personally (would be happy to make his acquaintance), but he's posted here in the past under the moniker Remoteworld.

Aside from that, I don't know of any folks who have trucks the likes of which you are accustomed. There's a bunch of little guys like me who just tote around our own gear in the back of regular cars, but there's slim pickin's indeed. Many of the major studios have gone under, and many of them didn't do remote work anyway.

I'll keep looking and will report back if I can find anything else. I'd be happy to help out if there's anything I could do for you.
Please keep looking because Phil is not available.

Our producer said that he took the truck off the road and plans to put it up for sale.
IMO, that's a crying shame since he just upgraded the vehicle not too long ago.
I plan to do my best to help him with this situation.
With that said I hope he reconsiders his options and gets his rig back on the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G View Post
Haven't talked to him in ages, but Bob Skye is probably worth a call:

Skyelabs Inc.

-dave
Bob Skye also took his bus off the road.
From what I understand, Rover is parked on his property and he occasionally uses it for mixing.
Old 10th November 2007
Lives for gear

Wow, sorry to hear that both Phil and Bob are off the road now. That doesn't leave much.

Off the top of my head, here's a quick list of a few studios in the bay area that might be able to hook you up with some gear, but I don't think any of them have a truck.

San Francisco Soundworks is closing up shop, but they might have some gear still available: http://www.sfsoundworks.com/index.htm

Fantasy Studios, Berkeley
http://www.fantasystudios.com/home.html

The Music Annex (The Annex), Menlo Park
http://www.theannex.us/

OTR Studios, Belmont, Cookie Marenco (not sure of their current status)
http://www.otrstudios.com/

OpenPath Music, San Jose, Tim Volpicella/Scott Sorkin
http://www.openpathmusic.com/
(This is one of my favorite rooms, especially for jazz, but I don't think they do remote work.)

Oh yeah, Digidesign is out here, just south of the city. They might be able to hook you up with a PT rig if you need it.

I'll keep scratching my head and see if I can come up with anything else. There might be some FOH/sound reinforcement guys that have recording gear, but that probably wouldn't be their main focus.
Old 11th November 2007
Super Moderator

Question Any remote trucks in the Bay area?

Jungle Jazz,

Thanks so much for the studio links, but do you know of any remote trucks?

We really need a control room so, at this time a portable rig will not work, but you never know.

If we cannot find a truck in the nearby area we will have to setup in a dressing room or rent a "Ryder" truck and setup in there.

Any help would be appreciated... We would love to talk to anyone, even the smaller mobille facilities if they're available and have a fair amount of professional gear and the right setup.
Old 11th November 2007
Gear Head

Maybe this is a dumb suggestion, but it sounds like there are two well equiped trucks just sitting over there. Perhaps you could convince one of those guys to rent their truck out?
Old 11th November 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testing123 View Post
Maybe this is a dumb suggestion, but it sounds like there are two well equiped trucks just sitting over there. Perhaps you could convince one of those guys to rent their truck out?
Are you refering to Phil and Bob's off the road vehicles?

Do you think we have not already contacted them?

Phil for many years has done this event for my client.
We all assumed he was on board for this year's event.
We were shocked to find out he's not available and selling the truck.
Old 11th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testing123 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Even if Bob or Phil are not on the road themselves, maybe their trucks could be pressed into action?

I'm still looking for alternatives and have sent out queries to the local folks. I'll report back with any updates.

Steve, since it's looking unlikely that there will be an ideal local solution, what's the bare minimum that you'll need from a truck?

I was trying to remember who else on this board is in the SF bay area. Henry Robinett is in Sacramento--Henry, are there any mobile trucks out your way?
Old 11th November 2007
Lives for gear

Here are a couple directory listings of companies that rent out gear in the bay area. If it comes down to renting a bare truck and having to outfit it yourself, they might come in handy. I noticed that a couple of the businesses listed, like Flying Kitchen or Location Digital Recording, claim to do location recording, but neither of their websites mention anything about a truck. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy at LDR, as I think they used to have a truck, but I think they got rid of it a couple years back.

http://www.sanfrancisco.com/music-eq...ctory/bay-area
http://www.sfstation.com/music/busin...ipment-rentals
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

Cool

I tried to get a weekend warrior but apparently my brother is not affiliated
with them
Old 12th November 2007
Gear maniac

Hello,
The Little Red Truck is in Southern California.
http://www.remotewest.com/
Peter is a nice guy and may be available, don't know.

There's always Scott at Design FX with his amazing API, also in Southern California.
H
Old 12th November 2007
Super Moderator

Yep, they all have been contacted.

John at Studio on Wheels is next on the list. but we must find someone that's a bit closer to the venue in SF due to budget concerns.
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

Another suggestion is to try Steve Jarvis. I don't know his number off hand but he has always been THE guy to help put things together or at least steer things in the right direction.

He may even be able to put together some kind of package.

Michael Greene
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Steve--

I can line up the fly pack if you want to drive it up from so. cal... PT with back up etc, but not a TRUCK per se. Pretty much turnkey, and solid operator/assistant.

Maybe Guy would be able to chime in on someone that may be off our radar screen?

cz
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

Steve,

Likewise we could send a flypack system to SF for the date. 48-96 tracks whatever is needed. We've done this a couple of times for Control Room, but with the travel it might still not fit your budget.

Call me at 818-497-4117 or send me an e-mail if you want to discuss the details.

Mark Linett
Your Place Or Mine Recording
www.ypomr.com
Old 15th November 2007
Gear Maniac

scarry

Am I in a pipe dream thinking I can make a living, let alone pay for the building of a remote truck in this market? What's up, even the established remotesters are pulling the plug. This really starts me second-guessing (not good) putting what's left of my time and money into this venture. At this time I had better step back and take another look at the feasibility of the situation.
Old 15th November 2007
Super Moderator

I've been a bit busy folks, so I plan to call / PM / email everyone that contacted me up until now.

I trust I will be following up tomorrow.

And, a little about our future and the current remote truck front around the world...

We don't know all the reasons why some of the Remotesters out there pulled their rigs off the road.
I'm sure the market may have some ting to do with it, but the two in the San Fran / Bay area have had a very long career in the remote recording business.
Maybe they just wanted to move on to another situation.
This is my opinion so you really should ask them, but...

Look at a guy like Michael Comstock and Indre Remote.
He started up a new (remote truck) business and closed his old (studio) business.
He's book on a regular basis and happy he has gone in the direction he went in.

All I'm saying is there’s nothing wrong with having dreams.
You must do serious research and also consider how long you will want to wait to make a living on the venture.

Believe it or not it took Aura Sonic 13 years to finally be in the black.
That's because I kept putting the money back into the business and continued to build on the equipment base that I have today.

Life is only a perception of what we think it may or may not be.
IMHO, there’s no real reality; it's what we perceive it is.

I cannot imagine doing anything else despite what the market will bare or not bare.
I love what I do and that has been my driving force all this time.

Your time, money and efforts are relative. Will you be happy with another gig?
If so maybe this isn't your thing.

IMO, you still should take this time to step back and take another look at the bid picture not just the feasibility of the situation.

I wish the best to all of the past, present and future Remotesters out there in the world.
I got your back(s) and I'm sure in time all everyone on this forum will follow this mindset and keep everyone rolling.

Some remote companies out there only look at other remote companies as their competitor.
I stand on the belief that we must look at each other as associates in arms.
We have an obligation to assist each and every one of us that needs a helping hand in our (sometimes tenuous) industry.

IMHO, if we don't look at it this way we will be history.
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

keep your head up Steve
I dont think their is a better way to record or broad cast a show than
to do it remotely

I think the arts are just coming around

a sign of a thriving society is in the arts
it has always been

sponsors

city hall, nothing like selling a community, grocery stores ,gotta eat
Old 15th November 2007
Gear Maniac

holy smokes

Quote:
Believe it or not it took Aura Sonic 13 years to finally be in the black.
That's because I kept putting the money back into the business and continued to build on the equipment base that I have today.
That's the time thing I was concerned about, I'm 52 now. Looking for a some sort of green before 65. I do like beans and rice.

Quote:
I cannot imagine doing anything else despite what the market will bare or not bare.
I love what I do and that has been my driving force all this time.
That's what it really boils down to, loving what you do.

Quote:
Your time, money and efforts are relative. Will you be happy with another gig?
If so maybe this isn't your thing.
That commitment thing is a biggie.

Quote:
IMO, you still should take this time to step back and take another look at the bid picture not just the feasibility of the situation.
indeed, count all the ++++'s, ---'s
take a deep breath, I know the water is deep enough, JUMP IN

Quote:
I wish the best to all of the past, present and future Remotesters out there in the world.
I got your back(s) and I'm sure in time all everyone on this forum will follow this mindset and keep everyone rolling.
Thanks again Steve, I reall didn't mean to cast this shadow of doubt onto the board. We all know with you are the most un-selfish person aboard, and will go to any length to help out anyone in need.
Old 15th November 2007
Super Moderator

Smile Thanks!

big country,

No worries, I always keep my head up high. It's in my nature.

t_chance,

I hear you loud and clear.
I could have made plenty of green to line my (personal) pockets, but I decided to reinvest all my profit right back into my business.
My partner at the time ended up selling his portion of the business to me because he felt strange taking his share of the profit while I put it right back into the company.
In any event, it was my choice and I do not regret it at all.

I love my work (mostly play) so the commitment thing is a "no brainer' for me.
When I started at the tender age of 18, I could not believe I was getting cash money for the work I did.
At times I still look at it this way.

I really appreciate your very kind words about how I feel about our community.
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Well you know the old joke.......

Question- How do you end up with a million dollars in the remote recording (or studio) business?

Answer- Start with 3 million dollars

I think it s fair to say that none of us do this or got into this just to make a buck or because it was the easiest and best way to make a living. We love what we do in spite of how hard it is to get started and tougher still to make a living at it.

I'm amazed that I have managed it for so many years after a lot of really lean years with little work and less money. But youth and love of just being in the studio kept me working at it until I managed to get a lucky break that made all the differance. Now maybe some other break would have come along, but I can trace my entire career back to that one event.

Anyway I sympathize with the member who said he is 52 and doesn't want to be 65 before his remote biz turns a profit.

I don't have an answer for you, but good luck with it.

Mark
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrplace View Post
Well you know the old joke.......

Question- How do you end up with a million dollars in the remote recording (or studio) business?

Answer- Start with 3 million dollars
laughter can go pretty deep into your train of thought

bad joke, kinda
yes, laughter is a cure but only if its positive
Old 15th November 2007
Gear Maniac

Be prepared !!!

one of my credos

Luck is when opportunity meets preparedness

Quote:
But youth and love of just being in the studio kept me working at it until I managed to get a lucky break that made all the differance. Now maybe some other break would have come along, but I can trace my entire career back to that one event.
We just have to keep plugging along, learning from our mistakes. Then we will be prepared for when that opportunity presents itself.

Last edited by t_chance; 4th December 2007 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Spelling/clarity
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

rebutthole

Old 3rd December 2007
Super Moderator

First of all I want to thank each and every one of you that replied and/or PM'd me about this situation.

He's the update...

My client decided to go with Remote West's Little Red Truck with Phile Edwards handling the recording and mixing duties!

It's great to hear that Phil will be part of this event.
He's been part of this production for many years and I'm glade he's still on board with or without his mobile unit.

Thanks again folks -- You are the best!
Old 4th December 2007
Lives for gear

Happy to hear that you got it all worked out.
Old 4th December 2007
Lives for gear

Did Phil give any indication of what's up with his truck?
Old 4th December 2007
Super Moderator

I would call Phil directly, but I understand the truck and its equipment is for sale.
Old 5th December 2007
Gear maniac

Hello,
Congrats, good you have it covered. If you're there tell Peter that Hugh says hi.
H
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search