The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , ,

Which portable equipment do you use for classical music?
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Question Which portable equipment do you use for classical music?

Hello Gearslutz,

I am very much interested in what (portable, minimal) equipment you use for recording classical music?

What's your setup?

Please tell me.

Gaston
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Nagra V, two schoeps MK21 or 4006TL mics straight in, record 96/24. Wonderful stuff. I am getting a small minimalist mixer custom made at present to add more channels from a custom mic pre. All in small boxes, can be all carried in a backpack.
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Head

I'm using a pair of Schoeps 641's or Neumann 140's, a Great River MP-2MH -> Lavry Blue A/D -> Masterlink, with a Tascam DA-P1 as backup.

One 4 space rackmount, one case with the DA-P1, mics, cables, etc. Works well.

I have a Lavry Mic Pre to put in and try out sometime soon.

Doug
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Small setup: Schoeps Mstc64 + Sound Devices 722. Add headphones and a Bogen/Manfrotto stand. Sometimes the mic is instead Sennheiser MKH30+MKH40 wiht or without stereo Rycote.

Larger: laptop + Millenium HV3 8ch + Lavry Blue 8ch + Fireface 800. Fits in a 11 HU rack with wheels. Add mics and stands to taste.

Gunnar
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Head

Just added an ORTF pair of Gefell M930's. But haven't gotten to use them yet (first time will be on the 15th). Metric Halo ULN-2 into a Masterlink at 88.2/24. All fits in one 4U rack case. Except for the mics of course, but I have a separate case for them and my other mics.

I have another rack for just preamps which has DIY pres I've made. A couple solid states and a tube, each two channels. So if I want to schlep that along and use those into the ULN-2 I can, and it's not a huge add-on.

Ultimately, my goal is to add a MacBook or MBP so I can record straight to the computer and just use the Masterlink as a backup. I get tired of recording an hour of program material then having to spend the time and discs burning off the Masterlink, then importing to my computer at home. I've thought about the Tascam DVD thing that's similar to the Masterlink but can't afford that one right now, and haven't heard much about it even though it's been out for a while.

Daniel
Old 7th November 2007
For my minimal rig, I use a Hardy M-2 pre into Mytek stereo 96 ADC into Tascam HD-P2. For mic's, I carry a pair of Neumann KM130's and a selection of Schoeps - omni or cardioid will depend on the situation. I will also carry a Shure 15-foot stand and a couple of T-Bars as well as fishing line and 4-50' mic cables. All of this fits into a rolling suitcase (not counting the stand).

If I need to mix multiple mic's, I will carry a small Mackie 1202. If I want backup, I carry a laptop and USB interface in a backpack.

I have a much larger portable multitrack rig in two rack cases, but I would not consider this to be "minimal."
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm running a MH ULN-2 into a Macbook Pro and although the unit is software intensive and somthing between it and the computer can get a little flaky sometimes, it's never cost me a show. The MH has really REALLY nice pres and converters, I am in LOVE with the sound of the unit. I also have Panasonic WZ-96M and Grace anb other pres to use if I need more than 2-Channels.
I usually use my Neumann SM 69 (I STRONGLY urge you to use some kind of stereo mic) and supplement that with other Nuemanns or my MKH 800.

Peace
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Bare minimum?

-Spaced pair schoeps CMC 6 w/ MK2 capsules on tall stands (no less than 2m high!)
-Earthworks 1024 preamp OR RND 5012 preamp (offers tiny bit of color and a high pass)
-Masterlink CD-Recorder w/ H4 Palm recorder as backup
-Cables
-headphones
-media

It all fits in an old computer bag designed to lug around desktops from the late 1980s.
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

I have a few mic pairs (Schoeps CMC6-MK21 and -MK2S prs; Gefell M300 pr, EW QTC-1 pr). For 2-ch location work, I reach for one of the Schoeps pairs >90% of the time. My latest setup is:

Mics > DAV BG-1 > Korg MR1000 [running DSD 5.6].

Also, Sabra-Som stereo bars, Shure A53M shockmounts, Mogami cabling, cans, Shure 15-footer. Apart from the stand (which collapses to 3') and a 3' stereo bar for AB, the whole rig fits in one of these:

eBags Mother Lode Mini 21 Wheeled Duffel > Wheeled Duffels > Duffels - eBags
Old 7th November 2007
Lives for gear

Hardware: Schoeps CMC64's and/or DPA 4006TL's - SD 722. Mix with a Mackie 1402 VLZ3 should the need arise. Use stands at ~1 meter high, Schoeps in ORTF, DPA flanking or, if alone, spaced array.

Canare star quad connects. I can get it all in a $20 Irwin tool bag (does not scream "steal me") and manhandle the stands and mixer.

Bare bones: 722 + Schoeps or DPA and one small stand.

Last edited by boojum; 8th November 2007 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm apparently the only one who dosn't own schoeps or geffells.

Laptop
Mackie 400f
pair of oktava 012s (omni/card capsules)
pair of ADK TL's (multipatern mic)
Old 7th November 2007
For a quick stereo archival recording, it would be:

Sound Devices 744T recorder

A nice pair of mics (e.g. Schoeps with MK21 plus MK41 capsules in case of a difficult venue, or DPA 4006)

High-boy stand plus stereo bar, and possibly a Schneider or Jecklin disk.

30' mic cables, since I'll probably be sitting in the hall.

Headphones (typically 7506, although I hate them).

Williams "stereophonic zoom" charts and protractor (an aid to setting correct sound stage without speakers).

For a more serious, but limited budget recording I would add:

Another pair of mics.

Four channels of Millennia HV-3 preamp in a rack bag.

Two more stands to allow outriggers or an ambience pair.

75' mic cables so I can sit off-stage, plus S-D to preamp cables

Small pair of Radio Shack powered speakers for judging sound stage and reverberance.

Extension cord and power strip.

For anything more complex than this, the big rig goes out.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mics > DAV BG-1 > Korg MR1000
Michael, how does it work??

I am going toward this combo, but for the moment I only bought the Korg!!! ;-))
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Two mics and a Nagra V.

Battery operated, call it a day.
(Collect huge check)
Old 8th November 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakromm View Post

Laptop
Mackie 400f

Don't feel bad Jakromm. Up until now I've been using a pair of Rode NT5's. Some would consider them lower class than even your Oktavas.

Daniel
Old 8th November 2007
Gear Nut

2 - DPA 4006TL mics
1 - DAV BG1
1 - Marantz PMD 671
Cables and a 13ft stand.

And, unlike Plush collect small check and call it a day.
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

- no, not the only one. Here's my modular/semi-portable for about a grand:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...s-mtdmpadi.jpg

RME ADI-2, M-Audio DMP3 & MicroTrack + 6 cap MK-012 matched set at about $500 = roughly $1500

- will also run out to a laptop or other recorder with digital in...

and it sounds pretty decent, too! But, I'd trade it in a heartbeat for most of the other rigs mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakromm View Post

Laptop
Mackie 400f
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoteque View Post
Michael, how does it work??

I am going toward this combo, but for the moment I only bought the Korg!!! ;-))
Like a charm. Well, once I updated the Korg firmware...before that it was a nightmare, but with v1.5 everything's hunky-dory. DSD 5.6 is some smooth sounding stuff. The DAV is a great compact 2-ch pre, adds a touch of syrup (if you're used to ultra-transparent gear a la Milennia, etc) ...

My back is lovin' this new 2-ch rig for remotes.
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

battery powered

For two channels: 2 Josephson C617set omni mics on Schneider disk on 14' stand into SoundDevices 744T powered by camcorder battery.

For four channels add 2 Schoeps MK41/CM6 mics, run the C167s thru a Grace LunatecV3 pre powered by an Eco-Charge battery.

Last edited by MichaelPatrick; 9th November 2007 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: clarified
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

My regular portable rig kicks butt!

The regular SPCO setup is:

2 ATI 8MX2 8 channel pre's
16 channels on 2 Dsub out into Dsub into Apogee AD16X
AD16X into RME Digiface.
Furman power conditioner
This fits into a single 4 space rack.

Frontier Alpha track USB Fader
Apogee Mini DAC
Etymotic, Sony 7506 and Sennheiser 580 Headphones
Nuendo and have purchased Sequoia and hope to switch to it exclusively soon.
Digiface into PCI cardbus slot recording to 17" HP Laptop (I have recorded 130 tracks onto a seriously fragmented external firewire drive, 26 tracks at a time while all the others were playing just as a test. All with no issues. That's far more than I will ever need.

I always run a 2 mix on the ATI as a safety to DAT
I also always run my main mix to two simultanious Tascam half rack CD players which fit into a short two space SKB case. SPCO always wants two CD's after every gig.

That is a lot of sonic power in 6 rack spaces!

Cameron
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

if it were me, and somehow money just was there, two piggybacked atr - 102
1" 2 tracks spinning at 15 ips that followed a beautiful little 8 channel tube console and an engineer
with great ears for phase and eight great mics could make some incredible sounding recordings....great vinyl
relatively portable
worth the hassle
modern atr magnetics tape and 1" headstack mean no noise

i would love to hear strings recorded that way

be well

- jack
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like a charm. Well, once I updated the Korg firmware...before that it was a nightmare, but with v1.5 everything's hunky-dory. DSD 5.6 is some smooth sounding stuff. The DAV is a great compact 2-ch pre, adds a touch of syrup (if you're used to ultra-transparent gear a la Milennia, etc) ...
Thanks! I am happy!!!

I haven't got any schoeps/dpa/neumann neither!!!

What do you think are the differences between TS1 at 500$ and MA-100 at 800$??

I love the idea of the tube and the omni/cardioid heads!!!
Old 8th November 2007
Gear Addict

Too late for me?

Two track rig - AEA TRP with Royer SF-12 into a Masterlink (for choral and some piano), or EW Lab 102 with Schoeps MK2S into MLink. The MLink is in a 6u rack with the Lab 102, the AEA is in a camera case with the SF-12. The Schoeps have their own camera case. The mics sit on a Manfrotto stand with a Sabra-Som bar. Cables fit into a low-tech milk crate.

Unlike Plush, I collect a SMALL check, then go home.
Old 8th November 2007
Did you say minimalist, as in bare essential dry bone minimalist?

Two Earthworks QTC-30's, Mackie Onyx sattelite (just the preamp pod), Alesis HD-24.
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteaks View Post
Cables fit into a low-tech milk crate.
Mark, you should check out those new high-tech milk crates!
Old 9th November 2007
Piano recording setup:

2x Neumann TLM 103
1x B&K 4011
on the piano

2x U87 (omnis) for the room

AATON Cantar-x.
Used Cantar 's preamps. Clean as a whistle.
Old 10th November 2007
Here for the gear

My favorite Uber-portable stereo rig lately has been a pair of 4006s or Schoeps MK2s through an Apogee Mini-me and then into a SoundDevices 722. I also take Roosbanes's rig out whenever he's not looking.

-Kyle
Old 10th November 2007
Lives for gear

Just out of interest, has anyone else read the technical paper on the Korg MR-1000? Seems like it's full of **** to me (the only difference between the Korg and another off-the-shelf CF recorder being the aliasing and lack of HPFs), but wondered if anyone else had gotten that same impresion.

MohThoM
Old 10th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohthom View Post
Just out of interest, has anyone else read the technical paper on the Korg MR-1000? Seems like it's full of **** to me (the only difference between the Korg and another off-the-shelf CF recorder being the aliasing and lack of HPFs), but wondered if anyone else had gotten that same impresion.

MohThoM
Are you saying the paper is full of sh*t or the Korg is full of sh*t?
Old 11th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohthom View Post

MohThoM
The "tech paper" from KORG does explain 1 bit recording in a very simplistic manner, it's most probably aimed at the unknowing consumer. The MR-1 seems to focus on a consumer/prosumer market that's looking to make simple concert or outdoors recordings with the included mic or cheap stereo mics.

The MR-1000 however, though it lacks a lot of the professional features of the Sound Devices/Nagra/DEVA and other recorders (mainly monitoring), sounds amazing. For the price of these two 1-bit recorders, they surely pack a lot of punch. The MR-1000 is my 2-track recorder of choice when recording 2-track classical music. I get great results, the conversion is top-notch.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search