The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

recording flamenco guitar Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax512 View Post
...... because that distance is closer to the distance between ears. I look at the Jecklin Disk as an attempt at approximating the head shadow effect, so realistic distance between microphones is preferable, from that point of view.
But it is such a raw approximation of the head that we are more in the realm of creativity rather than realism. So I don't see any problem with experimenting with other distances as well, if realism is not high in one's priority list.
A Decca Tree doesn't approximate anyone's ear spacing that I know, nor M-S, XY or typical AB spacing distances.

Are your speakers located at typical ear space distance....and does speaker spacing replicate the stage width of a single guitar player...or an orchestra ?

Ear spacing probably works best in the binaural listening world, where playback via earbuds or headphones gives the best correlation between pickup and replay

There are as many (or more) divergences from ear spacing in traditional miking methodology as there is adherence to it...especially when speaker replay is involved, so holding to it as some sort of golden ideal is subject to query
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
There are as many (or more) divergences from ear spacing in traditional miking methodology as there is adherence to it...especially when speaker replay is involved, so holding to it as some sort of golden ideal is subject to query
Yes, there are. And I already said that they all sound to me like pleasurable approximations of the real thing.
Good for the majority. Not so much for me. That's why capsule spacing is high on my own priority list.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Are your speakers located at typical ear space distance....and does speaker spacing replicate the stage width of a single guitar player...or an orchestra ?

Ear spacing probably works best in the binaural listening world, where playback via earbuds or headphones gives the best correlation between pickup and replay
Also, let's keep sound reproduction separate from sound recording.

Headphones are equalized in such a way that they try to provide the same frequency response you get from a speaker setup in a standard configuration. The main thing that loudspeakers add is cross-talk (which is not a little, I'll give you that).
I happen to still prefer loudspeaker playback over headphones due to several reasons, even with binaural recordings. But this is another subject altogether.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search