The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Sports/Travel Remote Techs. Analog Processors (HW)
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

Question Sports/Travel Remote Techs.

Seeing how most of you folks have plenty of experience in this area I decided to post in this forum.

I would really like to get involved in audio for live sports or nature/travel programs (National Geopgraphic, Discovery, Etc...). However I have no clue how to get ahold of the person I would NEED to talk to about these opportunitys. I don't really have a preference when it comes to wether I would be recording, or just holding a boom. I have very little knowledge about this area, so any help would be greatly appreciated, I can't think of anything better than being able to travel to remote places and still get to work with audio.

Respect.
Nick
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Head

Anybody able to comment on this thread?

Respect,
Nick
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'll take a stab, as I do a lot of weird work in the broadcast industry.

Apply for a job as a utility, explaining that you are a sound person and are looking for opportunities to A3/A2 as a boom op, parabolic op, comms tech, etc. AND a grip who LOVES to work with cable, cable, cable. Did I mention cable?

Post your resume with every mobile video company you can find who rents trucks to FOX, NBC, ABC, etc. I don't know what forum, website, etc a Tech Manager would visit, but that's the OTHER person you want to impress and hires grips, until you can meet A1s who specialize in a particular type of event, and hang on their sleeve.

Be prepared to decide NOW what you want to do. You want to do sports? Choose one...baseball, football, Xgames... you want to go nature? Learn about RF and boom work and offer yourself up to travelling ENG crews. It's MUCH easier to do more than one thing after you get a foot in the door with one. I know lots of guys who moved on to doing other sports once they travelled with WWF (now WWE) for two or three years.

Hope this helps!

JvB
Old 20th November 2007
Gear Head

Red face

JvB.

Thanks for your reply!! I have gotten a lot of advice from you so its good to hear from you again.

Thats the strange thing when it comes to what EXACTLY I want to do. I suppose Sports not really any inparticular but if I had to choose it'd be a toss up between NFL, NBA, or Soccer be it MLS or international. Nonetheless the X-Games would be pretty gnarly too, forgive me I'm gettin off track.

Nature is a huge factor as well since I am an "outdoors" type no doubt. The only issue is that I live in the PNW and I don't really know where to start. I almost think I would have more luck trying to geti involved in the News scene first, but I am really unsure about that choice. I contacted a local news station about working with them and they mentioned that they do not train for those positions, as I would need a refresher course since it would be the first time I did any field recording since school.

Thanks again, maybe you may have some more insight into this matter.

Respect,
Nick.
Old 22nd November 2007
Lives for gear

I work in europe, but i think it's the same everywhere in television: Start out where ever you can (utility, if you're lucky you can start as a trainee a2 or something), then you just work your ass off, show everyone you're really dedicated and talented... That's all you need to do really..
When you have the experience, you can choose what kind of jobs you want to do and actually make a bit of money .. That'll take many years though, but that's okay because it's basically the best job in the world, right after world famous music history changing record producer or rockstar..
Old 23rd November 2007
Gear Nut

Volunteer

Not sure how they handle it state side, but in Canada there are a lot of volunteer opportunities with the major broadcasters. These are REAL training sessions where they put you right behind the console immediately, or any other position. Of course you are baby sat at first, but you can make mistakes and learn on the spot under real conditions since the trainees only work local amateur games. Only the pros handle the pro games, but you can work your way up.

The real payoff is your in the 'loop'. You meet people and opportunities as long as you have the right attitude. It' kind of like women. "When your on the outside, it's dry. Once you have a girlfriend....there all over the place."
Old 26th November 2007
Gear Head

huub, and Soundchaser.

Thanks for the replies. So I pretty much have to do another internship is what you're saying. I currently work full-time in AV and (very) part-time at a radio station doing live broadcasts. So having the time to do another job, for free nonetheless, is going to be tough. If its the only way I guess that'll have to be.

Should I have all my own gear or would they station provide the equipment?

Respect,
Nick
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1234 View Post

Should I have all my own gear or would they station provide the equipment?

Respect,
Nick
You should at the very least have the following: Whirlwind Q-box, headphones, sharpie, work gloves, multitool.

-I also suggest a dynamic and condenser microphone, but you can always pull them from the mobile unit.-

The most important thing is to be prepared mentally, arrive early and well-rested.
Old 27th November 2007
Lives for gear

It's not so much a free internship you need to do, just an entry level not-so-well-paid job..
Old 27th November 2007
Super Moderator

That's right, you have to start somewhere.
Old 27th November 2007
Gear Head

Well Ive got the tool, headphones, sharpies, and Mic covered. (it is however not the best dynamic mic, but all I have)

I have been emailing the local stations here in the area, but have come up short on even a response of any kind. I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks again for the feedback folks.

Oh..and Huub since you said entry-level low paying job, I can handle that. It's just tough to work for free on top of other jobs that pay, as you probably know.

Respect.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search