The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Radial 8ox splitter Studio Accessories
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
Talking Radial 8ox splitter

Well, after much indecision I've decided to take the plunge and get a splitter for doing small club gigs. On large gigs I hire 48 LA Audio or a BSS system but for the clubs I'd rather be completely self contained. The gigs are never more then 24 track with no more then 16 inputs to be split. I am happy enough to passive split the drums and guitars with Y cords but I would not do that with vocal mics. It only needs to be a two way split between recorder and FOH. The recorder is setup behind the stage.

So I've been seriously considering the Radial 8ox. Its here for anyone who's interested.
Radial 8ox eight-channel rackmount mic and line splitter

I'm interested in hearing opinions from anyone who may have used this piece.

Cheers,

Daire
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech View Post
I am happy enough to passive split the drums and guitars with Y cords but I would not do that with vocal mics.
Why not? We use a 24 channel passive non-iso split all the time in club gigs and as long as you're careful about power and having clean lines it's not an issue at all. We have had ZERO problems with ours.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjazz View Post
Why not? We use a 24 channel passive non-iso split all the time in club gigs and as long as you're careful about power and having clean lines it's not an issue at all. We have had ZERO problems with ours.
Well, the club in question sometimes runs the PA at fairly near feedback level. I'm not sure that if I start messing with my vocal levels during the show, that there won't be a knock on effect on the FOH / foldback. No other reason really.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I can't say enough about Radial - great people, great customer service, and most importantly really top notch gear. We upgraded our truck splitter to 6 of the 8ox units and couldn't be happier.

I was joking with a FOH guy friend of mine...at our last big festival date, something like 24 bands over 3 days, we only had to flip a ground lift on a di ONCE. Maybe the grounding gods were shining down on us, but I'm attributing that to the Radial box being first in line.

Mike Comstock
Indre Mobile
www.indrestudios.com
Attached Thumbnails
Radial 8ox splitter-splitter_front.jpg   Radial 8ox splitter-splitter_back.jpg  
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear
Thanks for that Mike. Which trannys are in yours?
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I opted for the Radial transformers (basically a jensen copy), and have had no regrets. I'm not a transformer snob, but I do notice a sonic improvement over lower budget units like Whirlwind, Rapco, etc.
-MC
Old 13th September 2007
Super Moderator

Don't place Whirlwind's latest XFMRs in that bunch because they are as good as the Radials.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I beg to differ (re: new whirlwind vs. Radial), I clearly noticed that the bottom end seemed more solid in the Radial units. Subjective...yes, but to my ears, more true to the source material.

I'm speaking of the stock Whirlwind units, as I know they offer Jensens as an option. The splitter I used for the test was a brand new 48 x 3 stage system.

Hmm, looks like we got ourselves a show down...
Old 14th September 2007
Super Moderator

Maybe one day we'll do a double blind test with bare wire; Radial & the Whirlwind and see what gives.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post

Maybe one day we'll do a double blind test with bare wire; Radial & the Whirlwind and see what gives.
YES, PLEASE!
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
YES, PLEASE!

I'll second this!!

I'd LOVE to hear a double blind ABX transformer shootout sometime. Maybe take 5 or 6 different (common) ones? I'm still not fully convinced we don't hear the improvements in some gear (not all) just because we WANT to...
Old 22nd July 2008
Lives for gear

I'd still really like to hear from anyone who has listened critically to both the Whirlwind stock trannies vs the Radial stock trannies. The price difference between the them is substantial.

My wallet is rooting for the Whirlwind, while my creditor really likes the Radial.

Thanks!
Old 22nd July 2008
got some cheap ones and a good haufe one too. please post some raw files too? (so I can compare those with mine)
I might want to exchange the cheap ones for radials
thanks
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search