The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

Sound Quality of Headset Mics Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Question Sound Quality of Headset Mics

just wondering their quality compared to regular sudio mics and vs handhelds?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

They suck.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

well that was insightful.

anyone else that uses them in a regular basis?
Old 12th September 2007
yup every day.
they suck.heh
but for me that mainly is due to the situations they are used in as compared to hh and studio sound situations
but they rule compared to most lapel/lav body style for live work. The uni/card. headsets give you good gbf when needed for broadcast and reinforcement simultaneously. Dpa 4088 is a great mic if you want specific examples of quality headsets. The capsules on these mics are so small...
what is your application? general recording in studio or for live/remote stuff?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

no specific application. just wondering. i wanted to know if they sounded like low end mics or worst.

i see top acts using them and was wondering how much quality they sacrifice for the dance moves.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

if you are using it w/ high stage volumes (like rnr), and you want real off axis rejection, the crown 311a is the one to use. it's a true cardiod, and sound more than decent (sort of like a sm58...sort of).

a lot of other headset mics are omni's, for some strange reason.

of course if you're lip syncing (like britney, and nearly everyone else out there these days), anything will do. make a fake one out of a coat hanger.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
They suck.
Unless you are using one that doesn't suck.

Check out Countryman. I've got an IsoMax II that is a phenomenal mic. I have it lavelier style, but the headset version is the same mic.

I use it for lots of things. I have a rare earth magnet hotglued to a little gooseneck. I hotglued another little magnet to the inside of my acoustic guitars, dulcimer, and the on the backs of the floating pickguard of my mandolin. Also sticks nicely to the rim of banjos. Use it live and in the studio.

I get people all the time asking how I get my instruments sounding so big and *real* sounding. Trust me, it's not because of my playing. I have other amplification setups, but usually it's the Countryman into a Pendulum preamp that catches their attention.

Good lav mics don't sound low end. Good lav mics aren't cheap. I'm sure cheap ones sound cheap.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the reference, what pattern on the isomax 2 do you use?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search